American Express Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,788 reviews matching the search
Diverse work place.
Machine operator/cell lead (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLApril 1, 2016
A day of work consisted of 12 hours. Running a Pitney Bowes machine and troubleshooting. The best part was the atmosphere and benefits and vacation time. I had great co-workers that helped and worked to the best of their abilities. Some friendly people some not so friendly. What I learned about that job was that nothing is guaranteed. You have to work hard in order to get to where you want to be.
Pros
benefits, vacation
Cons
job security.
Proud to work here
Senior Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 22, 2015
Good company to work for with excellent benefits and competitive pay. At times the communication between business units could be ALOT better, especially on projects where multiple areas are involved. The organization does seem to be a bit behind its competitors in many ways except for service to its customers, in that they are tops. Management is a mixed bag, some are incredible to work for while others seem a bit out of touch. The best part of the work though is seeing the impact you have on customers whether it is internal or external when things go right. You can make someone's day/week/month based on how the organization does things. Above all, they do put people first in almost everything which is refreshing.
Pros
Very employee centric, lots of opportunity
Cons
No real structure in how to gain access to that opportunity, at times the pace of change is too hectic
Horrible
Collector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2016
This is a horrible place to work, management was constantly getting fired, immense pressure to collect, compliance and regulatory changes... Manager's are only concerned about themselves and their commissions ... Employees are cut throat and eager to cut u 2 the bone to get their commission check raised. High turnover in the GCA area, layoffs and job security does not exist.

Lazy managers ... lazy SDL's .... No One care,
Pros
Commissions
Cons
Horrible Management Team, Layoffs
American Express Establishment Services became my second family. I appreciated the Blue Box values including diversity and integrity.
SR. MANAGER, REGIONAL MARKETING-SOUTHERN REGION (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
I came to know the Southern Region Sales and Marketing team as their account executive while employed with Ogilvy and Mather Advertising. After achieving award winning campaign successes, I went to work for American Express as a Regional Marketing Manager. My role in Atlanta included acting as liaison with regional sales as I worked with my marketing team on both regional and national advertising programs. I started the company for the sole reason of working on the 1996 Olympic sponsorships. From there, my career with American Express flourished. I absolutely adore the people I worked for and worked with to this day.
Make sure you have the RIGHT manager
business management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
I was excited to start a new adventure with American Express in TCA.
However the management was left to be desired.
They play Favorites most definitely and when you really need help there was NO ONE there.

After I resigned I learned the manager I had was fired for employee misconduct.
Fit the criteria!!!!
While I was employed there, I worked upwards of 14 hour days (on Salary)
Was deemed a high producer, however was constantly being targeted by my manager.

it was horrible, thus resigning
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management and hours
Great place to work, lots of opportunity for personal growth, terrific benefits
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day consisted of responding to employee needs, following up on reported issues, investigating accidents/ incidents, interacting with internal colleagues and external resources. Learned new skills such as training/ teaching, computers and related technology, project management, customer service, vendor relationship management, etc. Worked with great team. Hardest part was securing funding/ support for things that I was passionate about. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that something I did helped employees to go home to families and loved ones at the end of the day, and not out to a Doctor's office or hospital.
Pros
Leadership, benefits, pay, growth opportunities
Cons
Frequent restructuring, cost of benefits, outsourcing
Very big company with pros and cons
Team Leader (Virtual) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 11, 2015
Very big company that was numbers driven with ever changing goals to stay competitive with our competitors. Supportive management that promoted a hands on approach to team, coaching, and involving our virtual employees. Every employee was virtual but we did start off in an office. The hardest part of the job was managing the changing goals and keeping the employees engaged in a virtual atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my team to deliver on the goals and continual company changes. Also I would add the company team works which were very motivating and brought the a lot of the diverse company together to do team building exercises. The only thing that was not to reassuring was the 4 layoffs in 4 years I had to go through.
Pros
air/hotle perks
Cons
job security
Good while it lasted
Manager of Business Development (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 7, 2015
Great company and brand to work. Had the best 1.5 years of my sales career both financially and personally. Met a lot of great and wonderful people who I will miss working with a lot.

The merchant acquisition group is on the decline with third party processors able to add American Express at a lower rate. This has diluted the entire division. More job cuts are to be expected I feel every year.
Pros
compensation true uncapped bonuses, company car, work life balance, company phone, corporate card, virtual office, great people
Cons
job cuts in this division
Meaningful Projects Great Work-Life Balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahDecember 9, 2015
Enjoy working directly with customers and positively impacting their business. Management cares about a work-life balance, but don't misunderstand - we still work lots of hours! There is some flexibility though in when those hours are worked, which is really great for family life and charitable activities.
Pros
pay and bonuses, work-life balance
Cons
healthcare benefits, difficult to advance in career
Great benefits
travel agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 20, 2016
i would go to work, take phone calls for 8 hours from customers wanting all forms of travel arranged.
Management was lacking and really needs to be revamped to help their employees.
co workers are great to work with, all up beat and friendly
hardest part of the job was all the stats they want you to keep at certain levels, especially the customer surveys. If they were mad at something you didn't know, you still got the bad survey. Most of the time it wasn't anything that was brought up in the call at all.
enjoyable part of the job was seeing the vendors that came to see us and sometimes getting to travel for work, which the company has all but cut out for non specialty travel areas.
Pros
PTO, Benefits, retirement, insurances
Cons
hard demanding goals and no support from management
American Express
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 23, 2015
Working at AMERICAN EXPRESS was an absolute joy!
Management was always open to hearing suggestions from employees. The culture at AMERICAN EXPRESS was one of family; we helped each other no matter what.
The positions I held were quite demanding, but more self-fulfilling than any position I have had. Management always held meetings in search of better ways of handling complex issues, and they always listened. The positives outnumbered the negatives! I enjoyed my five years at American Express. I unfortunately left the company, because I was relocating. I will never regret the 5 years I spent there!
Pros
Supportive management, great salary, great benefits.
Fast Paced Environment with high Diversity and Employee incentives.
Security Support Agent (Administrative) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Fast Paced, hectic work days, that involved high analytical, research and critical thinking skills. I enjoyed my work which often resulted in customer satisfaction. Management was supportive and encouraging. Co-workers and I had excellent collaboration and team building experience. My particular job, which involved investigations of internal and external financial crimes against the company, was challenging and rewarding. The hardest part of the job was completing complex, multi-faceted annual reports that required gathering information from various sources, by the deadline dates. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a group of diverse and supportive coworkers that helped to make our department a success.
Pros
Employee diversity
Cons
Job security is weakend by the economy.
Management is Detrimental
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 15, 2016
Poor management and scheduling from American Express, and little to no advancement opportunities.The health care options and pay is really the only upside, the days working for them were just terrible and made me want to search for other options.
Pros
Health Benefits and pay
Cons
scheduling/advancement/people you work with
Good place to work, always opportunities for advancements
Sr. Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 9, 2016
American Express has been very good to me and has treated me very well through all 16 of my years there. I have been given several opportunities for advancement and have been promoted several times.
Real sorry it had to end; unfortunately due to several reorganizations my whole department was eliminated making us all displaced.
Pros
Good people, good opportunities to grow your knowledge base for advancement.
Cons
American Express struggles with a good work life balance it is something they continue to work on.
Productive and fun environment with game room and flexi-schedule
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 17, 2015
AmEx is a great place to work. Although it is a diversified work place, every one can feel relax and at home. The atmosphere is friendly yet professional and there are great opportunities for career advancement. The salary is one of the best in the industry. It is the only call center that offers salary starting at $17 per hour plus monthly bonus. The benefits are great! They also provide for work and family balance and one can take there PTO if the office is not closed on a holiday and there is a flex-schedule.
Pros
Salary, benefits, flex schedule, cafe, career advancement, centralized location
Cons
Adherence to schedule rating
this place is the worst place to work
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 27, 2015
Much of the management are abusive people. There is no culture of respect for the workers. He had over 4 hrs weekly MANDATORY overtime. There is no training, no respect for employees.
Deal with very difficult people and management does not back you up. They are getting worse saying that job is a call center but it is luxury leisure travel and you can not do it in a couple minutes. They set you up to fail.
So many employees I knew were on medication for depression and anziety. When people quit or were fired they had PTSD. It is just a horrid work culture. Abuse and ageism run rampant.
Pros
was once a good company now in the toilet
Cons
everything
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2016
American Express is your typical corporate giant and because of that, there are many layers to management, slowing down some key business decisions. Despite this, it has been evolving to a technology-focused company. I also think the company is very supportive of work/life balance, which is a huge plus and actually increases worker productivity.
Exciting, profesional, and diverse
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMarch 1, 2016
This is one of the most diverse organizations of this magnitude. Higher education as well as career advancement is promoted and the culture is great.
Pros
great cafeteria, career advancement, higher education, and great tuition reimbursement
Excellent place to work
Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2016
Excellent place to work. Very supportive people and very good management group. Employee benefits are very good and career growth is good.
fun workplace
relay operator (Former Employee) –  phoenixSeptember 20, 2015
After 16 years the company in a whole was going through alot of changes that effected the organization and its employees. It became a very stressful environment and there was no room for advancement. Hired unskilled management and taught them management skills but not how to do employee job. How can you give feedback to an employee if you dont know how to do there job. When i gave two week notice management became intolerable of differences and was placed on a no rehire status. It was an awesome place to work and i made a lot of friends wishing them the best of luck.
benefits
Cons
inconsistency

4.2