American Express Employee Reviews

American Express
Manager (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLOctober 19, 2017
American Express is a great place to work and the Sunrise campus is beautiful and the people are friendly. It is a large corporation and it can sometimes feel like getting ahead is hard because there is so much competition for roles.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
hard to advance, political corporate culture
american express
Teleperformance (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXOctober 18, 2017
working with american express was a good experience. they trained me well and helped me whenever needed on a phone call. they offer advancement and had no problem letting me know i did a good job
great pay/benefits
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2017
great company to work for, very diverse. too bad job insecurity is so high. i was there 10+ years and was finally impacted by "reduction in force" aka - moving operations overseas.
many different departments to work for.
benefits
Cons
lay-offs very commom
Not sure
Credit Collections (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2017
Not sure I Love American Express I don’t want to give a review I don’t want to fill this section out there nothing more to no American Express is great
Sadly Would Not Recommend
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2017
Used to be a great place to work for many years, long tenured employees, not the case in the last 5 years due to reorg and layoffs, reduction in pay, not what you know but who you know forcing you to wear your keflar vest to work unfortunately. Very sad.
Pros
None to mention - sorry
Cons
Great managers no longer there driving the train since reorg
Its all good in the beginning
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2017
Each department has its benefits. I've heard absolutely wonderful things about the other departments. I've only witnessed the travel department and my experience hasn't been the greatest.
Pros
travel discounts and benefits
Cons
management and no structure
American Express was not for me
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2017
American Express strives on the diversity and culture of it's employees. They have a lot of amazing opportunities if you fit the mold. But it is not based on personal performance. There is an immense amount of favoritism and judgement. Not all management hindered advancement. This company made me question myself personally and professionally.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible management no advancement
overall good place to work
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2017
Overall good place to work.

Good overall atmosphere, flexibility on work hours. Could use a good does of reality in leadership at times.

Biggest draw back is continued down sizing/displacement.
Pros
benifits, flexibility, overall culture
Cons
continuous down sizing, lack of direction resulting is continuous down sizing
Great Company
Credit Analyst/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 16, 2017
great company to work for, they relocated. the trainings were great as well as the staff Amex afforded me the opportunity to work from home . hopefully they will decide to come back to N.C
Amex
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2017
I was lucky to work at American Express for over 13 years as an employee and as a contractor. I learned quite a bit and had the ability to use my skills. There were great opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Great Work Enviroment
Cons
layoffs

Want to know more about American Express?

Ask a question
Good Company
Fraud Analyst/ Banking compliance (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 14, 2017
I would've worked there longer, they shut most of the SLC office down. I liked the company and learned a lot about metric quantification and operational considerations.
Must Like Corporate Environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 14, 2017
Lots of red tape to contend with which can be frustrating to accomplish even simple tasks. Management is peer oriented so some nepotism going on here. Benefits are good with the exception of high deductible health insurance plan with HSA account.
No loyalty for workers
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2017
The executive management has no loyalty for workers. Spent 5 of the last 7 years contracted with "promises" of going permanent. But, it never happened.

Instead, they not only let us contractors go, but laid off people that had been with the company for 20-30 years and send those positions overseas.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Everything else
N/a
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2017
The work environment is great but the company core values isn’t what they stand by. What they need to work is leadership Involvement. To help motivate and give us a reason to work harder
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
fun and productive
Sr. Service Now Developer/Admin (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 12, 2017
great company to work for. Working in the travel field I got to experience many places, meet many people and build life long relationships. Loved working in the corporate end of the travel business
Pros
American Express is a great company to work for
Cons
short breaks
Great company to work for
Quality Assurance Engineer AET(Technology) (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLOctober 12, 2017
Great benefits and company culture while working here.it is very important to the higher ups that their employees are successful every day and they make their best efforts to help employees reach their full potential
Work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 12, 2017
I enjoyed my job at American Express. I felt respected and empowered to make value based decisions when doing my work and required little to no assistance with my job. I was able to interact with people on a daily basis and it felt like a family in my department. Our managing team was extremely professional and available to us at any time. American Express was generous in service awards, benefits, on site activities, community donations and allowed us to have a work/life balance. Unfortunately, my department was one of several that had a reduction in force and our work was sent to another American Express location off shore. There was no option to transfer, so I became a displaced employee after thirty years of service. I would have stayed at American Express until I retired, if my job stayed in the United States.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation, Enjoyable working atmosphere
Cons
Job security
great culture
Consulting/ Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZOctober 12, 2017
enjoyed team of professionals that I worked with but resigned due
to no upward job growth on the horizon. Good culture and benefits,
compensation was competitive.
Pros
good culture
Cons
not much job growth
Central VA Food Bank--Seniors Commodities Program.
Brokerage Service and Trades (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 12, 2017
Volunteers will be assisting staff by packing food boxes in the CVFB distribution facility that will go to malnourished seniors in our communities. Each month, the seniors will receive a 30lb. box of groceries with a block of cheese and eventually fresh produce. This will keep them independent and in their own homes longer!
All tasks are of a physical nature and may consist of working on an assembling line, placing items in boxes, opening boxes, breaking down boxes and possibility bending & lifting up to 30 lbs.
Safety is of the upmost importance in the facility and it is important to dress appropriately.
• Jeans, t-shirts and sneakers are standard attire. Shorts are appropriate for the sum! mer months.
• Sweatshirts and light jackets are required during the Fall/winter months.
Great Company
Customer Service Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 11, 2017
I thoroughly love this job. This is where I gained many of my skills. Management here is amazing and always quick to resolve issues. This is a fun but professional environment to work in.
Cons
no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2