American Express Employee Reviews

Found 2,431 reviews matching the search
Fantastic Company
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 25, 2017
Great place to work, quick adopters of technology.
Excellent work/life balance.
Compensation is not as good, but overall great benefits.

currently they are updating work environment to smaller cubicles and hotel type areas.
Thriving company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 25, 2017
Excellent benefits to working with this company. Family life work balance was incomparable to others. Life long comradeship and friendships. Glad to have had the opportunity up until 9/11 changed the economy and structure.
Pros
Flexible work/life balance
Cons
Severed
terrible
Virtual Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 24, 2017
absolutely the worse place to work. everything is numbers driven to the tee. please stay away from this country. not the place to grow nor move up. leave it be.
Pros
pay
Cons
metrics
Full time Temp
Executive Corporate Card Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2017
I worked as a temporary employee with Western. I liked the location of the building which was less than a mile from my house. The people and managers were polished professionals and I learned to how to deal with angry people. To be honest, no one really likes to have their credit cards frozen while on vacation. I was the person to put a "hold" on the card for lack of payment.
Pros
4 X 10's and off Friday
Cons
Worked on the 4th floor and shared a space with 3 other people. No elbow room.
competitive
FRAUD INVESTIGATOR (Former Employee) –  SLC, UTJuly 24, 2017
This is a company very focused on their employees. They do what they can with what they have to make you feel valued. I learned a great deal about process improvements and making yourself indispensable.
Amazing work environment and very friendly employees
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2017
I felt welcomed when I started off as an intern at American Express. Every employee is super friendly and are willing to help new employees find their footing within the company.
Secure place
iOS Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2017
American express is really good place for any one. I enjoyed the American express job. I finished the project with my team. I was team leader and software engineer.
Great place to work to increase leadership skills and business acumen
Commercial Payments Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 22, 2017
The culture allows for a warm atmosphere for the employees. Managment is encouraged to listen to the employees and make
beneficial changes based on their feedback. The culture centers around blue box values that inculde integrity, work ethic, and love. The employees are valued which helps them treat the customers with the utmost respect and appreciation. The business is also like a school, as the company does a good job of creating an enviorment of continuing education in business acumen, financial savvy, strategy, and information technology.
Please see resume
Sales Manager / Assistant to President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2017
Highly accomplished, competitive Presidency Club Winning Sales Leader with over thirteen years’ experience seeks to continue a rewarding career in sales within an increasingly complex and competitive arena in the City of Pittsburgh. Extensive experience managing key accounts. Cultivates solid business relationships with key decision makers and team members by developing new business opportunities, and providing exemplary client services. Keen ability to develop territory planning and strategic plans to exceed sales goals. Enthusiastic, dedicated, motivated, dependable, excellent interpersonal skills, excels under pressure with sharp decision making and analytical abilities. 10 successful years in the city of Pittsburgh. Quick ability to build new relationships and trust in new accounts.
Internship
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2017
I was a Software Engineering / Java intern at American Express from January 2017 through June 2017. I enjoyed my work and learned a great deal. The hardest part of the job was knowing that this was only a 6-month internship and I did not have time to learn all I would have liked to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with.
Great company to work for
Director, Strategic Partnerships & Bus Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2017
I enjoyed working at this global company, it was a very rewarding experience. Work was very demanding at times but that is to be expected at every company of such caliber.
Enjoyable work environment that promotes great teamwork
Business System Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 20, 2017
Like most employers, American Express is only as good as your leader. I have experienced the spectrum, from managers that were into self promotion to managers that believed in building your career. I learned a lot about the true meaning of being proactive and self motivated. I have never been truly into office politics, like most, but I did appreciate the value of growing relationships.
Overall, I would not trade my experience working there. It was enjoyable because of those great managers and co-workers. I did see myself continuing to grow when the organization.
Pros
Great benefits, Working from Home
Cons
Difficult to move up, ineffective communication
Good company with flexible hours.
Customer Service Professional Miami Fl (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLJuly 20, 2017
A well know company with a long history of growth to promote within and create a culture of career advancement for their employees. Well structured with competitive incentives.
Productive and fun workplace
PLATINUM CUSTOMER CARE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLJuly 20, 2017
There are many different departments to choose from with this company, always providing space for growth opportunities and versatility. The workplace culture is also diverse.
Leader Role
Director of Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2017
A typical day is loaded with conference calls, very fast pace environment with very little time in between sessions. However, the brand is awesome but under pressure to stay competitive. Great benefits and additional days off. You need them.

The culture is really concerning. Extremely passive aggressive, difficult for leaders to make the right decision due to culture influences and people groups. Hard to bring new ideas that may challenge status quo thinking without big fallout and cultural pressures.

The most difficult part is gaining support from leadership in areas of realignment, performance expectations and consistency. The company can be all over the map in these areas which makes it hard to lead people groups. The number of calls, presentations and dialog is unbelievable in a sales environment with little time to do much else.

Sales cycles can be longer than expected and targets can be challenging in some markets.
High stress to make sales goals
Customer Service Representative and Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 19, 2017
After 18 yrs being a loyal employee American Express values no longer match the exceptional service first now priorities have changed and is geared towards a high sales priority minded customer service.
Pros
Good benefits and vacation
Cons
Extreme focus on sales of additonal products and stressful sales goals
Productive fun place to work with amenities, cafeteria, gym and beautiful environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
American Express has a standard referred to as blue box values. Employees are given goals at the beginning of the year and meet mid way and year end to discuss with their direct managers. They are evaluated on how well they met their goals. Plenty of training and opportunities for advancement.
benefits
Productive work organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
American Express is/was a first rate organization, fair and decent to its employees. I worked both in New York City and Frankfurt, Germany. It was an enlightening experience.
Benefits
Cons
pay scale
the collections team is a dead end job
Sr. Analyst, AR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLJuly 17, 2017
I was employed part time as a collections specialist. I was recruited during my time as an MBA student. The company has many departments were you have lots of flexibility and opportunity to cross train howler collections is not one of them. This is the most dead end career path I have ever seen, which is surprising as all the other areas are filled with opportunity.
Pros
nice dinning area
Cons
no growth opertunity
it was a long time ago but it was great experience
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 17, 2017
I loved working in the travel industry but it collapsed on me after 9/11. My first experience with the company was not so good because I am not a fan of working in a call center but my second time around in a small office was much better.I was sad to see my career as a travel agent come to an end after 10 years
Pros
the people
Cons
sometimes very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2