American Express
1,635 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Job Security
Team Leader (Current Employee), FloridaMay 28, 2015
Pros: benefits, vacation time, job security
Cons: leaders are responsible for wearing too many hats to be effective.
Very demanding environment. Leadership has very little work/life balance. Everything is a fire drill daily. However, there are many perks to offset man of the cons. Benefits are outstanding and generous vacation time based on your tenure. Most employees have very high tenure 10-25 year employees are very common. Incentives/bonuses for leadership are difficult to achieve with goal drivers. The hardest part of my job is wearing so many hats. My priority should be leading and coaching my team, however with the numerous demands on time to ensure the client is taking care of, responding to emails, escalations, conference calls/meetings consumes your day. The most enjoyable is many of the people i work with. Teamwork is great across various business units and all in all everyone wants to do a good job, even with the challenges.
Great Team of Employess
Business Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great work life Balance
Cons: Job Security
I handled the day to day travels sales for corporations. Like UPS and King and Spalding law firm. I loved the Employees and the Management. Great work Life balance.
Ecellent company with geat incentives.
Remittance Processor II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
Pros: Emplyee incentives every quarter.
Cons: System down time.
My typical day at work was productive and fun. I was cross trained in other areas of the company, what the company achievements, goals and expectations were. I was asked to be on a team that addressed the concerns of the employees. Co-workers were good to work with, even though as an individual you had to meet your own production for the day. There was in my opinion nothing hard about the job. The enjoyable pat was when, there were contest for the most productive person that day and the luncheons.
Unorganized work environment
SQL Developer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 26, 2015
Pros: Great compensation
Cons: Lack of direction, unavailable management
When you think of large corporations like Amex, you really expect them to have hiring & new employee orientation down to a pattern. After all, they hire new people all the time.

They do not at all. It took over four weeks for them to assign me a desk to sit at, requesting that I sit at other people's desks while they were not at work. Often times, this required me to change desks 4 or 5 times a day, as people who were supposed to be working from home showed up.

There is no formal training or orientation. I was given a list of simple tasks to accomplish (set up voicemail, install x and y software, etc.) and then had no idea what was expected of me for the first 3 weeks until I finally was assigned a project. My manager was generally not in office and did not respond to emails from me requesting something to do.

While compensation is great, projects move at a snails pace, and every other day it seems like we get held up waiting for another team to provide business requirements, or just general information you would have expected to be in the request in the first place. For someone who likes a fast-paced challenging environment, this is not the correct choice of employer.
Work Life balance, great culture and company to work for
Senior Manager, Product Development and Digital (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 26, 2015
Great company to work for, the HR policies do look out for the employee's best interest as long as it is aligned with business objectives. There is an interest in the development of employees' career growth and personal development. There is always room for growth as the company has so many different business units that feel like a new experience.
Worked night shift alone.
Computer operator for Harbor Payments (Former Employee), SAN ANTONIO, TXMay 25, 2015
Pros: learning process
Cons: only person in building at nigh so had no air or heat.
Monitor servers, receive and process files from customers. Coordinate processing errors and server errors with proper department to resolve problems. Supervise off shore workers in India.
Good office culture, dedicated employees
Travel manager (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAMay 24, 2015
Pros: Good encentives, free lunches, excellent working enviroment
I enjoyed working at Luxury Link. Dedicated staff, generous compensation, and benefits, fun working environment. Good senior management.
Wonderful company that continues to strive to the fullest potential
Sr. Business System Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2015
Pros: Leadership are superior
Cons: No complains
I have been fortunate to work for such a company. They have been wonderful for the years I have been there. I look forward to a new passion and endeavor.
Productive and fun workplace
Data Architect (Current Employee), PhoenixMay 21, 2015
Professional and fun loving workplace. Encourages individual ideas but most of the time believes in team work. A successful team involved in delivering best of the product.
Good corporate job
SENIOR MANAGER, PRODUCT DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee), New YorkMay 19, 2015
Strong emphasis on work life balance, but it does depend upon your team.

Regardless of how they position themselves, the banking industry is becoming more regulated and you see the effects across the business. Lots of red tape and alignment required if you are in the core business.

Summer fridays, encouraged to use your PTO, good speakers and networking groups.
Love the Culture
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2015
Executed core administrative skills e.g. coordinated executive's appointments, email, travel reservations.
The execited part of my day is leaving knowing all tasks are completed.
Layback, but productive
Web Designer - JAVA Script Programmer (Former Employee), Plantation, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great cafeteria
Cons: Salaries are lower than market
They treat people with respect and have high expectations of the employees.

They are flexible as long as you finish your projects.
Over all working enviroment
Senior computer operator (Former Employee), PhoenixMay 19, 2015
Pros: free coffee and tea
Cons: building needed more breakrooms
Worked with an incredible team met and worked with many good hard co-workers, through the years of change in management met and worked under some very good managers. The hardest part of the job was probably the 12 hour shifts. Worked with a group of people that had great sense of humors and easy to get along with great team work
fun at first
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2015
Pros: cafeteria benefits
Cons: schedules and flexibility
It is okay to work for American Express if you are able to work any day anytime. they are open 24/7 including ALL holidays which isn't ideal for me to have time with my children
Onsite travel manager was challenging yet very rewarding
Corporate travel manager, corporate sales agent (Former Employee), Omaha, NE.May 18, 2015
Pros: Association with American Express, being considered responsible enough to manage this account on my own.
Cons: Nobody availble to train me on new procedures, Had to do this myself. Also, AMEX required many lengthy reports which were time-consuming.
I was responsible for handling all corporate travel requests for a company or 800 employees, including air, car, hotel, limos and all customer service issues related to the vendors. I also did group travel for this company.
I worked on-site which I loved as it gave me an opportunity to get to know my travelers and for them to get to know me, I was solely responsible for every transaction and kept spreadsheets for accounting as well as handled many special requests for VIP travelers.
My management was in another state so we just kept in touch by phone. I did not have any co-workers until the last year, when the volume was too much for 1 person. She worked out of her home.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the volume of requests.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know my clients and going above and beyond to do favors for them such as upgrades in status or VIP seating on airlines.
Senior Events Manager
Event Manager (Former Employee), Essex, MDMay 17, 2015
Pros: Multi channel experience/travel/industry exposure
Cons: N/A
I have worked within the events and hospitality industry for approximately 20 years. I have a wealth of project and stakeholder management experience as well as global vendor management.
A typical work day would commence with a team briefing to update colleagues on current event projects. Thus giving colleagues the opportunity to seek assistance/support.
Trust for me, in any environment is an important aspect of my day to day life.
The hardest part of my job is balancing life outside of work as, working within the events industry is all consuming.
The most enjoyable part of job is being issued with an event brief and then developing that brief to "bring the event to life".
Review
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2015
A wonderful place to work. I enjoyed management and never had an issue with them. The culture is very strong and it's a great brand to be a part of.
Respond to questions concerning customer accounts in a fast paced, structured customer care environment.
Fraud Analyst and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMay 13, 2015
Pros: Compensation
Cons: Being micromanaged, No growth opportunity outside of HBS customer service, felt disconnected from company and Health insurance (had to meet deductible)
I logged in and out according to my daily schedule. I learned the required policies & procedures and the appropriate verbiage to communicate them to the customer. I only got to communicate with my co-workers through the company messenger service when there was time to as the calls were back to back and it was against policy to send messages unrelated to the call with the customer.
Global Brand - Recognizable anywhere
Regional Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2015
Pros: Global Brand
Cons: Slow to change and implement changes
A great place to work and very good benefits as well. However, sometimes not all practice what they preach. Talking about growth mindset vs fixed mindset. The company has come a long way since 15 years ago. Has a good work life balance as well. Worked with a very tenured organization.
Very nice place to work
Test Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaMay 12, 2015
Very nice company to work. I enjoy the team and the work environment.

This company have laid way to my carrer in all aspects. I have learnt many things , one of them is the leadership qualities which i have learnt much.

1 2 3 4 5

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries