American Express Employee Reviews

Found 2,020 reviews matching the search
Thoroughly impressed
FIU Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 7, 2016
The American Express Service Center (AESC) in Phoenix, AZ is a truly remarkable facility. Having worked in private, public, and non-profit sectors, AESC has proven to have the strongest work culture I've seen in my career. The company has fantastic work/life balance opportunities: work from home, flexible schedules, onsite dental, onsite flu shots, onsite nurse/medical, onsite cafeteria, onsite massage, a break room with video games, TVs, and couches. And yes - there are expectations to produce very high quality work - but this is accompanied by fantastic training and coaching.
Pros
Onsite benefits / work-life balance
Good place to work based on the support and professionalism.
CUSTOMER CARE PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 29, 2016
Jobs are being lost because the company rather save a dollar more and out source them to cheaper labor in India and Philippines. Customers are not happy and the company doesn't care about it, they rather save extra money, rather than listen to their customers. Which ultimately they will end up losing in the long run because of this decision making. They release employees who have put their hearts and souls into this company for many years, and they are just laying them off.
Pros
Great benefits and incentives. Great culture! Professional and quality environment.
Cons
Losing jobs because of out sourcing to India and the Philippines. No job security!
They pay well but are unstable
Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 15, 2016
They pay well, have fair benefits, good work life balance and attempt to create a positive culture. However, they are behind the times in product growth and frequently make bad decisions that effect the entire company. Every year, if not twice a year people wait with baited breathe to see if they will be one of the people getting axed in the current "reorganizing" round. The last round consisted of 10% of the entire company. Very shaky and unstable. You constantly feel insecure.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unstable, insecure
Good Place to Work
Data Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2016
Good on the job training opportunities, very light on any training that has cost associated to it.
Performance based compensation, bonus and recognition programs for high performers.
Standard benefits of medical, dental, 401K with 5% matching and vesting.
Heavy contract staff augmentation on shore and off shore.
Global Company that causes interference with work life balance.
Pros
Flexible work schedule for salary workers
Cons
Compensation not as competitive as other companies
In the Dark
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2016
American Express pretty much left me in the dark most of the time. Very little communication about the job or who exactly cares. Most communication was via a team member whom I did not really answer to. They seemed quite disorganized cared little about my skillset or utilization of them. I often had no idea if my job was going to be dissolved due to transitions even though I was praised and had high marks as a top performer.

Often 'other' teams handled issues with very little explanation as to why. Such teams may or may not respond to any communication attempts possibly passing the buck when contacted. Processes for handling specific 'areas' were typically inept at best and appeared frequently mishandled. They seemed very 'low-tech' which was the opposite of what my impression was before working for them.
Pros
Relaxed controls
Cons
Inept processes, low-tech and confused processes structure
Great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTJuly 22, 2016
I have been with American Express for 3 years now. I have learned a lot about the banking industry and how to help people in a calm manner.
Unfortunately, I don't see room for advancement for me here. I was not fortunate enough to go to school for a degree and most positions, regardless of qualifications, require a degree.
I enjoy working with people on a team, but I also enjoy being left to do my job, the way they I can do it.
I enjoy being able to help clients when they are in a bad situation, it gives me a sense of satisfaction when they really appreciate the help I can provide.
On the other side of that, there are some people you just can't please no matter the situation, so that is tough.
Pros
cafe, work life balance, vacation, benefits
Cons
short lunch, very strict on staying on the phone, not even for bathroom breaks.
Good place to work for the most part
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2016
I have worked at American Express on a full time basis for a few years. I would say overall it is a good company to work for. Work-life balance is great depending on which group you are in. Most groups allow you to work from home most Fridays.

Compensation at American Express is not the best. It's certainly not the worst. But, I think American Express struggles to be competitive from a compensation point of view.

Job security is not great here at the moment. Layoffs are happening across the board and at all levels. So, I would say proceed with caution.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Culture
Cons
Job insecurity, compensation
World Class Company
Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2016
American Express is a rare company -- one that still has a dedicated customer service commitment at the heart of its operations and business. You can do amazing work here -- and have career highs. Similar to all companies and financial services, AmEx is going through massive disruption.
Pros
Amazing work, strong executive leadership, world class marketing
Cons
Work Place Politics, Passive Aggressive Culture
Excellent for career development & advancement
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2017
I was with American Express for 18 years and had an (almost always) fantastic experience filled with (95%) fantastic leaders. There is so much opportunity and structure for learning. I always joke that I got my MBA from the University of American Express. Work / life balance is a challenge, but in my case I worked from home, which added a little more flexibility - easy to work at 1am in your PJs.
Pros
Great compensation, training, advancement potential
Cons
Work / life balance is tough in such a high performance environment
Fun workplace but under dynamic changes due to investor pressures
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 9, 2017
A wonderful workplace for over 18 years however, the direction of the this organization is cost margins and outsourcing any skill-set that will provide a temporary lift to stockholders. This organization has laid-off over 12,000 employees since my arrival in 1995. It is just more practical to issue H1 visas for overseas talent at a fraction of the cost. This I a wonderful organization who in my opinion, may be disillusioned by the global workforce.
Pros
Good dinint facility
Cons
No time for hourly employees to utilized management benefits
Manager Business Lending (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 12, 2016
Enjoyable work experience. Diverse cultural staff. Numerous opportunities. Good job security. Work life balance was excellent. Company is extremely employee supportive. Great benefits.
Great work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 5, 2017
Go in sign into PC start accepting incoming calls, management always available for assistance. Can advance within the company. Great co-workers always willing to help out.
Pros
chance for advancement within company, competitive salarie
Cons
business relocated
Company is Outsourcing Employment Overseas
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 30, 2016
This strong US financial company is outsourcing jobs to India for customer servicing despite card member complaints. With the recent co-brand partner dissolutions with Jet Blue and Costco, American Express recently displaced nearly 220 customer service professionals from their Salt Lake City facility, with an offer to retain approximately 80 - 100 home based servicing positions only.

It's a shame, as the jobs are needed to support our American workers, not to mention the US economy. In 2011 AMEX displaced nearly 300 New Account specialists from the SLC facility. In 2015 nearly 100 of their Fraud specialists were also displaced.
Pros
Excellent base salaries, health and vacation benefits, and excellent bonus structure.
Cons
Job security has recently become a concern due to company outsourcing of jobs.
Productiv
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 26, 2016
great company to work
great benefits
management was great
work life balance was great
room for growth within the company
Pay was great

American express was great company overall
Pros
work life balance
Cons
short breaks
Strong culture
Director - Corporate Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Strong culture, great place to train and advance your career if you put the effort into it.
Management is great. Co-workers are team oriented and very bright.
12 years loved forst 9
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 30, 2016
I worked in a center 9 years before transfering to Home Based Servicing. Working from.home sounds great... but its very lonely. Once you are at home their is very little opportunity for advancement and you are just stuck taking calls day after day with no end. It wears you down fast. I did enjoy that ability to drop and pick up hours easily with colleges. This made it simple to adjust my schedule with out using PD time. American Express is a great company but home based servicing was just not for me.
Pros
Flexible hours great benifits
Cons
Little room for advancement
Good people to work with... but....
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 9, 2017
In my opinion the company as a whole is not what it was 10 years ago. They have good benefits and give a great amount of time off up front so people can have a chance at a work life balance. But in my opinion the company seems to be focusing on the shareholders rather than the employees.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Jobs are moving out of country
Hard company to work for
Director, Employee Recognition and Rewards (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2016
American Express had its pros and cons like any other company. Years ago when i worked for them, the culture was that if you did not have a college degree, you were considered 'nothing' and a 'non-professional'. The upper management was terrible in that they were rude and demanding.
Pros
People in general were nice.
Cons
Culture was terrible and higher management was worse.
Good work culture; Solid emplyee base/good leadership
QA Analyst/Test Manager (Former Employee) –  DePereDecember 14, 2016
My only real beef with AmEx as an employer, which I consider a big one, is that over the past several years they have done employee reductions a few different times. This makes for a very stressful environment when every couple of years you don't know if you will have a job or not. It always comes down to the bottom line and keeping the shareholders happy because if the company isn't making that extra $100M then the only way to make that up is to lay people off. Three times I was a victim of layoffs, twice being rehired after some time of being unemployed. My hope this time is to land with a smaller, established, local company that will allow me to grow and have a higher sense of job security.
Good Company that Moves Too Slow
Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2016
Amex is a great company overall with nice people, but has become too slow and is unable to move quickly enough to be competitive. Advancing in the company is difficult as greater value is place on planning events then actually deliver results.
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance
Cons
Limited Opportunity for Growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2