American Express Employee Reviews

Found 1,968 reviews matching the search
Fast paced great work environment
Customer Engaged Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84184November 30, 2016
American Express is a great place to get your foot in the door if you're interested in banking. It's fast paced which means things are always changing and you end up learning something new almost everyday.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Job security
Love working at AmEx
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 30, 2016
AmEx is a great place to work at. You get tons and tons of project management experience and the company loves to think outside the box.
consultant -
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 30, 2016
lots of consultants hired and cycled through - most of the foreign.
Very large environment.
Lots of bureaucracy could have been a much simpler environment.
Must be very technical to survive.
very long commute from where I live.
Pros
its a job
Cons
too big, too many consultants.
Best Work Environment Ever
Network Operations Center Technician (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLNovember 30, 2016
Best company I've worked for to date. Great group of people, awesome environment, state of the art technology and plenty of activities to break up the daily race stress.
Good place to work.
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 28, 2016
Great place to work, unfortunately the contractor with them that I worked for lost the contract. People that I worked with were very professional and of good character.
Pros
Freedom to do the job.
Cons
Little support from upper management.
Grea tplace to work
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 28, 2016
American Express is a great place to work. The finance division is now Ameriprise. I can only hope that it is still the same great company.
Great place to grow your career
Sr. Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 26, 2016
-On site food market, great lunches!
-Learned the importance of professionalism
-Managers are there to work by your side
Great company to work for
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 23, 2016
Great company to work for both as an employee and contractor. Always new opportunities to expand knowledge of technical and business skills. I enjoyed the people that I worked with on a daily basis.
I really enjoy my work and the people I worked with.
Business Systems Manager and Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CANovember 22, 2016
I held a variety of jobs working for this company which was great. I was able to learn and grow everyday. The clients were nice and I enjoyed the office team. I was very proud of my office team. We made our deadlines and help advisors all over the market group. I initially set up how we would do our technology and marketing areas. We did well and other market groups were interested in how it was done. Then, our home office wanted to streamline the marketing and took back the distribution and allocation process. This made it very difficult for us to obtain the numbers we were getting. My hands were tied by home office and I could not find a work around to please the Group Vice President. However, in dealing with this process, I was able to get back $11,000+ back to the market groups budget.
Pros
The constant learning and challenges
Cons
Home Office restrictions
It was time to move on
Account Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 21, 2016
I worked here for several years and there just didn't seem to be much room for advancement. Many times they hired from outside of the company instead of promoting internal employees.
Pros
decent hourly wage, great PTO pool
Cons
benefits are terrible and expensive
American Express is the best place to work
Payroll Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2016
I loved working in American Express. They always take care of the employee needs.I worked in American Express for 27 yrs and I got nothing to critized.
In the Dark
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2016
American Express pretty much left me in the dark most of the time. Very little communication about the job or who exactly cares. Most communication was via a team member whom I did not really answer to. They seemed quite disorganized cared little about my skillset or utilization of them. I often had no idea if my job was going to be dissolved due to transitions even though I was praised and had high marks as a top performer.

Often 'other' teams handled issues with very little explanation as to why. Such teams may or may not respond to any communication attempts possibly passing the buck when contacted. Processes for handling specific 'areas' were typically inept at best and appeared frequently mishandled. They seemed very 'low-tech' which was the opposite of what my impression was before working for them.
Pros
Relaxed controls
Cons
Inept processes, low-tech and confused processes structure
Good place to work for innovation
Engagement Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkNovember 21, 2016
Amex has an environment that allows for employees to cultivate themselves and the company. The work life balance has been key.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Competition of similar companies.
Great Place to Work
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeNovember 16, 2016
Great organization. They really have the work at home segment nailed down. Training could use a bit more consistency and more mentoring time would be beneficial. Especially in the live-call listening. Overall the experience and culture is inclusive. One does not feel like a number in this vastly huge company.
Great place to work with proper structure
Training and Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work following a structured environment. The company believed in their mission and vision and give their employees hope for advancement and security.
Pros
Job security and proper compensation
Cons
customers are really demanding
Great company to work for
Application Architect (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2016
Loved working at American Express. One of the best companies I worked for.
Great environment, team and reachable managers. Intellectually stimulating work.
Good Place to Work
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2016
Amex encourages employees to try new positions, challenge themselves, and broaden their horizons. It is a great and fun place to work and the people are awesome.
They pay well but are unstable
Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 15, 2016
They pay well, have fair benefits, good work life balance and attempt to create a positive culture. However, they are behind the times in product growth and frequently make bad decisions that effect the entire company. Every year, if not twice a year people wait with baited breathe to see if they will be one of the people getting axed in the current "reorganizing" round. The last round consisted of 10% of the entire company. Very shaky and unstable. You constantly feel insecure.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unstable, insecure
great culture. great leadership
Centurion Transformation Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
as in any large company, there is a lot of politics and power play involved. Working for a strong brand with very smart people is always a thrill.

great work life balance and love that they bring in speakers from different industries.
Intellectually Stimulating with focus on Customers, Shareholders and Employees
Senior Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
The fact that I have worked here for over 20 years with increasing responsibilities speaks for itself. American Express is a company that continuously transforms itself to better serve is customers and clients.

4.2