American Express Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,502 reviews matching the search
Great place to work, lots of opportunity for personal growth, terrific benefits
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day consisted of responding to employee needs, following up on reported issues, investigating accidents/ incidents, interacting with internal colleagues and external resources. Learned new skills such as training/ teaching, computers and related technology, project management, customer service, vendor relationship management, etc. Worked with great team. Hardest part was securing funding/ support for things that I was passionate about. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that something I did helped employees to go home to families and loved ones at the end of the day, and not out to a Doctor's office or hospital.
Pros
Leadership, benefits, pay, growth opportunities
Cons
Frequent restructuring, cost of benefits, outsourcing
Great benefits
travel agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 20, 2016
i would go to work, take phone calls for 8 hours from customers wanting all forms of travel arranged.
Management was lacking and really needs to be revamped to help their employees.
co workers are great to work with, all up beat and friendly
hardest part of the job was all the stats they want you to keep at certain levels, especially the customer surveys. If they were mad at something you didn't know, you still got the bad survey. Most of the time it wasn't anything that was brought up in the call at all.
enjoyable part of the job was seeing the vendors that came to see us and sometimes getting to travel for work, which the company has all but cut out for non specialty travel areas.
Pros
PTO, Benefits, retirement, insurances
Cons
hard demanding goals and no support from management
Diverse work place.
Machine operator/cell lead (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLApril 1, 2016
A day of work consisted of 12 hours. Running a Pitney Bowes machine and troubleshooting. The best part was the atmosphere and benefits and vacation time. I had great co-workers that helped and worked to the best of their abilities. Some friendly people some not so friendly. What I learned about that job was that nothing is guaranteed. You have to work hard in order to get to where you want to be.
Pros
benefits, vacation
Cons
job security.
Productive and fun environment with game room and flexi-schedule
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 17, 2015
AmEx is a great place to work. Although it is a diversified work place, every one can feel relax and at home. The atmosphere is friendly yet professional and there are great opportunities for career advancement. The salary is one of the best in the industry. It is the only call center that offers salary starting at $17 per hour plus monthly bonus. The benefits are great! They also provide for work and family balance and one can take there PTO if the office is not closed on a holiday and there is a flex-schedule.
Pros
Salary, benefits, flex schedule, cafe, career advancement, centralized location
Cons
Adherence to schedule rating
Proud to work here
Senior Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 22, 2015
Good company to work for with excellent benefits and competitive pay. At times the communication between business units could be ALOT better, especially on projects where multiple areas are involved. The organization does seem to be a bit behind its competitors in many ways except for service to its customers, in that they are tops. Management is a mixed bag, some are incredible to work for while others seem a bit out of touch. The best part of the work though is seeing the impact you have on customers whether it is internal or external when things go right. You can make someone's day/week/month based on how the organization does things. Above all, they do put people first in almost everything which is refreshing.
Pros
Very employee centric, lots of opportunity
Cons
No real structure in how to gain access to that opportunity, at times the pace of change is too hectic
Make sure you have the RIGHT manager
business management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2016
I was excited to start a new adventure with American Express in TCA.
However the management was left to be desired.
They play Favorites most definitely and when you really need help there was NO ONE there.

After I resigned I learned the manager I had was fired for employee misconduct.
Fit the criteria!!!!
While I was employed there, I worked upwards of 14 hour days (on Salary)
Was deemed a high producer, however was constantly being targeted by my manager.

it was horrible, thus resigning
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management and hours
Good while it lasted
Manager of Business Development (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 7, 2015
Great company and brand to work. Had the best 1.5 years of my sales career both financially and personally. Met a lot of great and wonderful people who I will miss working with a lot.

The merchant acquisition group is on the decline with third party processors able to add American Express at a lower rate. This has diluted the entire division. More job cuts are to be expected I feel every year.
Pros
compensation true uncapped bonuses, company car, work life balance, company phone, corporate card, virtual office, great people
Cons
job cuts in this division
American Express
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 23, 2015
Working at AMERICAN EXPRESS was an absolute joy!
Management was always open to hearing suggestions from employees. The culture at AMERICAN EXPRESS was one of family; we helped each other no matter what.
The positions I held were quite demanding, but more self-fulfilling than any position I have had. Management always held meetings in search of better ways of handling complex issues, and they always listened. The positives outnumbered the negatives! I enjoyed my five years at American Express. I unfortunately left the company, because I was relocating. I will never regret the 5 years I spent there!
Pros
Supportive management, great salary, great benefits.
Meaningful Projects Great Work-Life Balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahDecember 9, 2015
Enjoy working directly with customers and positively impacting their business. Management cares about a work-life balance, but don't misunderstand - we still work lots of hours! There is some flexibility though in when those hours are worked, which is really great for family life and charitable activities.
Pros
pay and bonuses, work-life balance
Cons
healthcare benefits, difficult to advance in career
Management is Detrimental
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 15, 2016
Poor management and scheduling from American Express, and little to no advancement opportunities.The health care options and pay is really the only upside, the days working for them were just terrible and made me want to search for other options.
Pros
Health Benefits and pay
Cons
scheduling/advancement/people you work with
Excellent company with amazing benefits
Home Based Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
I worked in customer service for consumer cards. A typical day included taking payment calls, answering billing questions, and setting up billing disputes. Working from home presents its own challenges but I learned to become a self starter that requires very little supervision.
Pros
Great benefits, no dress code, no commute.
Cons
Could be a little lonely on (rare) slow days.
Strong brand, future is bleak
Senior Manager, Pricing (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 10, 2015
American Express is know for a great work/life balance with the compromise being the compensation. Given the state of the business for the past year and foreseeable future most teams are tasked with doing much more with less. Therefore they lose the work/life balance perk and still pay 30-40% less than you would be getting paid for a similar role at any bank or network. Constant re-orgs, job freezes, and layoffs which can be expected when you loose 30% of your card member base.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor comp, and bleak future
Awesome workplace environment
Customer Service Rep/Int. Team lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2016
A great place to work over all. It could be hard to take calls from angry people but that was understood to be part of the job. Great benefits and a clean safe work environment. Loved the other employees and management. I learned all about sales and customer service there. The environment was fun most of the time.
Pros
Good pay and schedules friendly management
I learned much, traveled in accordance to the needs of my job, and made many friends while employed with American Express.
Executive Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 15, 2015
The typical day at American Express could be stressful, could be educational, could be a pleasure and could be all in one day. The most important thing I learned was to customize the approach to the challenge. The hardest part of my job was to spend the amount of time needed to provide world class service in a phone center environment. My co-workers and I often differed in our ideas of process, and best practices, but at the end of the day we respected each other and started the next day a clean slate. In 22 years there were many management styles to work with but all with some redeeming quality. Focusing on the day to day servicing of the client always took priority and seemed to work into all the management strategies. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction with my clients and the self-expressive element provided by my management group.
Pros
Highly creative environment, great benefits, great colleagues
Cons
Some political issues, educational program could have been better
American Express you can expect lots of changes
Team Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 13, 2016
I have worked for Amex for 30 plus years and been through many changes. Outsourcing, layoffs etc. I have been very lucky to work for a director who has always found other avenues for her employees when job were sent off shore.
Benefits
Cons
Senior Management
Great place to work but so stressfull
Digital and Online Commerce Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mexico, MODecember 1, 2015
You can set your own schedule, and also have two home office days at week.
You have your own place and all your technological needs covered.
Now we're lower of staff and we have to do a lot of positions jobs at the same time, they only think in the money and not any more in the client.
The employees are not recognized for their achievements.
Pros
Great compensations, great job culture
Cons
So much work with out hands
Fast paced, challenging workplace with terrific people.
Director, Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my career at American Express. I learned something new in every position I held. A typical day at work was project check-ins and issue and risk mitigation. Managing over 500 project per year made for full days.While it was often challenging, the people made the work fun and delivery was always accomplished on time and with high quality.
Pros
Exciting, fast paced, learning environment
Cons
Poor work life balance, continually shrinking benefits
fun workplace
relay operator (Former Employee) –  phoenixSeptember 20, 2015
After 16 years the company in a whole was going through alot of changes that effected the organization and its employees. It became a very stressful environment and there was no room for advancement. Hired unskilled management and taught them management skills but not how to do employee job. How can you give feedback to an employee if you dont know how to do there job. When i gave two week notice management became intolerable of differences and was placed on a no rehire status. It was an awesome place to work and i made a lot of friends wishing them the best of luck.
benefits
Cons
inconsistency
Review
Quality Case Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2016
Work environment is okay. Great colleagues. The company provides great benefits and tries to accommodate work life balance by providing onsite daycare
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
hard to get promotion
Great benefits, Treat employees well
Merchant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2016
American Express treats employees very well, great benefits, building team morale. They tried to keep employees happy. They gave out awards and recognition, gift cards and there was room for advancement.
Cons
Call Center Environment