American Express Employee Reviews

Found 2,170 reviews matching the search
Nice people, changing culture
Vice President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2017
The environment has always been very collaborative and collegial with a strong focus on the brand as a differentiator. People are always open to having lunch or coffee to grow their internal network. As the business growth has slowed, the culture has changed a bit and employees are more sharp elbowed.
Productive and Competive workplace
Project Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 21, 2017
My typical day at american express was fun and challenging. I learned alot as a project manager at American express. My manager challenged me and taught me how to be a good project manager.
Good trainingt
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2017
Good initial training. Initiated and managed new clients and multiple accounts with sales exceeding expected pace, achieving local and national sales awards.
Quick Paced
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2017
It was a very fact paced environment and therefore it taught you to be quick on your feet and think and be pro-active and get the job done so the client always felt important.
Fast pace and demanding, highly professional teams
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 19, 2017
Fast pace and demanding environment, results oriented. Highly professional organization with strong focus on customer service. Matrix hierarchy with global teams.
Pros
exellent benefits
Cons
demand flexibility when leading global teams
Fast paced and exciting
Licensed, Bonded, Insured, Recovery Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 19, 2017
The recovery room agents and management staff are success driven individuals who inspire you to set gradual goals for yourself and mentor you to achieve success as well.
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Mexico cityApril 18, 2017
Amex is a very flexible company that cares about its employees. I had the privileged of growing continuously in the organization and in my experience, Amex offers very good opportunities of making a great professional career.
review summary
Travel Agent/Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2017
Converse with customers to determine destination, mode of transportation, travel dates, financial considerations, and accommodations required. Custom service
What you learned
Technology Project Manager (Current Employee) –  PhoeniApril 14, 2017
American Express is a more Fin tech company rather than a company which issues credit cards. You cannot just be a PM, you have to understand tech well.
Great benefits, salary and work life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 14, 2017
Great benefits, salary and work life balance. Must be adaptable to constant change and broad spectrum of leadership styles.

Tough to find employers who can match benefits and salary.
Good place to work.... but be smart about managing your career
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
Americans Express is a great place to work and build your career. They have a in most business units, a flexible work environment and great skill building opportunities l. However, employees need to have realistic expectations in terms of what their potential growth is in the company. This has not been the case for me and it has led to many disappointments. Also, some leaders may not be as direct with you on the true prospects of your career at American Express. Oh her than being clear and getting an understating of where you stand as an employee, it is a greatness place to work and build the foundations for your career.
Pros
Flexible work environment
Cons
Some mid level leaders are not as dynamic and forthcoming. Be prepared to manage your career
Great work place, very knowledgeable people. I feel proud to work here
Sr. Net Lead & Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 13, 2017
American Express is a great company with a solid future. I've joined in Aug-2016. I've enjoyed my time here and the growth opportunities that they've provided. They understand the importance of personal and professional growth as well as the importance of work life balance.
Great place to work.
Global and Multi-Currency Merchant Servicing (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 12, 2017
I worked for Amex for five years it's an amazing company that values its employees and with great respect for their work life balance. Very good vacation policy plus additional five days off for five years of employment! Now they have introduced paid extended maternal leaves and paternal leaves for its employees.
Horrible
Car Washer (Former Employee) –  ArizonaApril 12, 2017
Never have a set schedule we would not get are schedule till one day in advance they would make us work over time with no pay. They would not allow us to have tips bus the boss would take them when the employees did the work they would give us 15-30min breaks whiles the boss would get 1hour or more and still be clocked ibc
Pros
Cons
Horrible place
Excellent and collaborative work culture
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2017
Enjoyed working at American Express. However, the company is very bureaucratic. Senior management asks employees to respond to changes in unreasonable times. Culture is very collaborative and people genuinely enjoy working here.
Very recognizable name brand company, good work life balance and interesting marketing opportunities.
Senior Digital Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2017
American Express is a very well known company that offers plenty of opportunities to learn in marketing, business development, and various other business units.
American Express
Lead Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 9, 2017
American Express was my first career job and i worked there for 20 years. I was always satisfied with the environment there. There was ample opportunity for advancement.
American Express Rocks*
Executive Assistant to the Chief Privacy Counsel (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYApril 9, 2017
The culture at American Express headquarters is phenomenal. During my tenure I have been blessed to do contract work for a lot of the Fortune 500 companies American Express is the ultimate BEST!
Good place to work at
Senior Service Delivery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2017
A good place to work. Team members work well together. I have learned a lot about SAS, Unix, and DevOps. The hardest part of the job is the long hours. The workplace culture is team collaboration is important.
Pros
Good benifits and pay
Cons
Too much business politics
Constant change without direction
Issue Manager - Global Commercial Payments (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2017
American Express constantly tries to remain on top by innovating its products. But, when the economy gets tough or the competition beats them to it, they drop all plans to fix what is wrong and cuts staff to minimize loss. Not a company for taking big risks.
Pros
Great work life balance.
Cons
Decision making takes too long with senior managment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2