American Express
1,693 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

it was a great place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJuly 1, 2015
Cons: they outsource as many of the jobs possible
after 20 years, you have done a lot of different jobs. I was mostly customer service.
at the beginning it was an amazing company to work for. they cared about their people and were family oriented.
towards the end, it was only about the bottom line and how many jobs they could send out of the country so the upper mgmt could fill their pockets with large bonuses.
at the time, we had an amazing benefit package, that went down the toilet as well. you pay out a lot of $$ for medical only to receive poor coverage and high co-pays.
Overall wonderful employer
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, co-workers
Cons: Some worked holidays
Great company to work for. Work environment was uplifting. Learned a tremendous amount in training and while employed. Management was very hands on in helping to reach goals.
Love working for American Express
eLearning Authoring Specialist (Current Employee), Overland Park KSJune 30, 2015
I am in the job market because my position at American Express has been displaced. I really like AMEX, the people, culture and management and wish my job had not been displaced. This is a company I really wanted to retire with. They are good people and treat their employees very well.
Great place to work with multiple opportunities to grow
Director of Customer Experience (Marketing) (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
American Express is a very exciting organization to work for. It provides a many opportunities to increase your marketing acumen.

I a matrix organization where you learn how to with interact with multiple levels of the organization in multiple international markets.

Overall, great company to work for with a lot of opportunities for growth.
Great benefits
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Schedule
Worked in call center taking incoming corporate calls using the ACD system. Assisted corporate clients in all travel related needs at a professional and business level.
Productive work environment
Travel Consultant - Work from Home (Former Employee), Madison, MSJune 30, 2015
Pros: Work from home
Cons: Excessive micro management
American Express allowed a work from home environment, which was beneficial. Micro management seemed to be extremely excessive.
Working for AM EX Investment Banking Company was Great!
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Denver, CO Ventura, CAJune 30, 2015
Pros: I liked being able to learn work information and present it logically
Cons: Management was very supportive and helped make work fun
It was an employment that required me to study at work and pass four National tests before I was able to begin the training for employment. Then, I was sent to another major city in another state to train with many other people that had recently passed the major national exam and we studied together and then passed two other tests and spent seventeen months in a training program. After the training – more... together in the other major city in another state, we were to pass one more state exam and also perform qualifying duties to accomplish so that we were able to stay employed with the American Express Investment Banking company. The information my colleagues and I learned was varied and we were taught standard company training. Also, we learned from working with the employees of the American Express Investment Banking Company and the customers that called in or customers that we had called. I spent time speaking also to other cities at headquarters of the American Express Investment Banking Company, sending faxes and also using computer generated communication. Additionally, I sent out much mail to American Express customers. I had many meetings directly with clients and also planned and held many public. seminars so I began to be more comfortable speaking to groups of people. The workday began very early and I worked sixty hour work weeks. I learned to be a specialist in several areas that required much time to ask questions and thankfully the people that I worked with were people that were interested in precise details and enjoyed explaining to my satisfaction that then my time was leveraged so that my coworkers could then come to me and be advised quickly of what they might want to know about that area of expertise. Our management provided many meetings: every morning, at lunch and sometimes in the afternoon with trainers from companies that had working relations with American Express Investment Bankers Specifically, I really liked this employment as it was different every day and I think that the people that I worked with also enjoyed what they were doing and the management was totally supportive in providing much training since we met directly with government agencies to assure that we had been trained and worked knowledgeably as professionals. In summary, I feel fortunate that I American Express Investment Banking Company hired me and that I was could work for them. – less
Good workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJune 29, 2015
Overall, good experience. Good pay, but not much opportunity for growth. Excellent tuition reimbursement policy. Many layoffs make you feel unsure about future.
Work place life balance
Sr. Specialist Global Travel (Former Employee), VirtualJune 29, 2015
Pros: American Express proper all the benefits you can imagine, Post sold off part get in trouble for taking materinty leave
Cons: Work promotion not always based on quailty of work.
Working for American Express is a treasure. They have many benefits for employees. However moving up the ladder has more to do with who you know not what you know. If you have the misfortune to work for a company that was once part of American Express but now only has ownership in such as Global Business Travel ( Owner by Seteraus) your treated poorly and they look for almost any reason to down size.
Very "corporate" - nice people
Executive Assistant to the VP of Finance (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 27, 2015
Nice place to work for. I was there for five years working for the SVP of Finance, a team consisting of 10ppl. Organized travel arrangements and handled calendar management.
Customer Service Excellence
Dedicated Global Client Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2015
Pros: Too many to identify
Cons: Lots of competition to advance
Amex provided me with the tools, resources and training to provide world class service. Amex is the leader in Customer Service and I'm proud of my time there.
Good Benefits and Pay
Customer Service/Leadership/Problem Solving (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJune 25, 2015
Pros: on site cafeteria/benefits and pay
Cons: short breaks/high stress/advancement opportunities
All jobs have a level of stress but at times the stress level here can be through the roof. There can be a bit of favoritism and there is a false sense of advancement with lateral moves after lateral move. I have seen some advance and overall believe the company has a great culture, but it is starting to wane due to many people taking ideas that are not theirs as their own and keeping the people they want in management and advancement opportunities. The focus on keeping the front line employee satisfied has shifted which causes a poor morale across the board. I started working here with a sense of family and pride which is no longer something I believe in here.
great job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 24, 2015
Pros: greatb work schedual
Cons: not a career oriented job
great job I loveworking here I would do so again if offered. the people whee graet and kind. The pay was great . It was a great job. I loved my boss and all of my co workers
Amex
business Analyst (Former Employee), fort lauderdaleJune 23, 2015
support the carious Amex project under way as well as support project network on cross functional projects impacting both US and Network teams
Opportunities for Advancement and Job Enrichment
Team Leader / Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2015
Pros: Feeling a part of the company.
Cons: Sometimes the hours could be a bit long.
I was fortune to work in two different departments of AMEX, Financial Control. All of the financial procedures were handled at this location. First, I managed a staff of 12 - 24 staff, processing payments made to AMEX Merchants. The daily wire was always up in the high millions. We had to accurately pay the merchants, process the credits and debits for merchant accounting, and handle disputes, – more... while maintaining all accounts in balance.

I also managed a staff of 12 in the financial control unit. We were responsible for processing all payments received by AMEX customers in the U.S. and Canada. We were responsible for managing accounts and the daily balancing. As well, we also reconciled all of the accounts associated with these transactions.
We also closed the books monthly, processed debits and credits to customer accounts while managing the daily and month-end time constraints. – less
My work at a global servicese company
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Virtual (work at home)June 23, 2015
Pros: Able to work virtual
Cons: Company very much subjected to the ups and downs of the US market place.
- Worked as a virtual employee for many years.
- Was provided with support but abundant autonomy to do my job.
- Had great exposure to numerous areas within the company as I was responsible for working on very complex, business critical projects with people from many business unites within the company.
Great place to work!
Sales/ Use Tax Accountant (Former Employee), PhoenixJune 23, 2015
Very much a relationship building culture! This is an ideal place for those that look to build not only a career but lasting relationships that are also productive!
Great non stuffy credit financial company
Marketing Operations Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 22, 2015
This is a great company and the work life balance is great. They will educate you in all ways for marketing in the financial sector. The culture is also really nice and not stuffy.
Good people to work with.
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTJune 16, 2015
Pros: Opportunities to expand your horizons.
Cons: Too much in-fighting in the dept.
The company is very interested in each employee expanding their knowledge and abilities, which is good because there are frequent layoffs, and employees may need to hop to other roles in order to stay with the company.
Love
Project Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Great company to work for. I enjoy the culture, the opportunity for growth. The location by the water is perfect! The flexible work arrangements. The people are great!!!

1 2 3 4 5

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries