American Express Employee Reviews

Found 1,426 reviews matching the search
No growth opportunities if you are over age 40 or in current role too long
Corporate Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 17, 2013
I have been a loyal Amex employee for 16 years mostly working within the corporate travel division. Within this time I have taken many steps to advance my career including utilizing the tuition reimbursement program to complete my BS degree in Business/HR as well as mentoring within Work force management and HR. Yet I have been turned down for the last 12 internal postings that I have applied for in the last couple years. I can tell from the types of questions which I received within these interviews that my length of tenure is actually part of the problem, as this seems to be viewed as a detriment and not a positive quality. For example, I was actually asked recently when I had a 2nd interview for a band 25 Account Protections Specialist position within the Fraud department "about how much PTO time do have remaining for this year?" After I told him that like other Amex employees with more than 10 years I have 264 hours per year. I was then actually asked if I believed my extensive PTO time would interfere with my ability to complete the training process. I told him that No I did not believe it would interfere as with 16 years I would not set myself up to fail within this department and also told him that I was very flexible with my remaining PTO time. Ultimately I was turned down even though I have excellent work record, many transferable skills, and was very successful within my B.S. Business program.

After this experience I then also applied for a Service Level Coordinator position as I have 3 years Workforce Management experience plus a year of mentoring within this area.
  more... I did not even get a first interview for this. The feedback that I got for this rejection from the recruiter was that my unsuccessful multiple previous postings attempts over the couple year in of itself was a big yellow flag. I thought to my self, how can I change this? It seems as if I am pigeon holed into the corporate travel rep position and I do not know how I can change my situation within the company. I realize that i can leave but had hoped to stay with Amex where I am vested and have good benefits.

In summary. American Express has broken my spirit and I have lost all respect for this organization. They say that they like to develop employees into other roles and support job advancement however I believe that is only if you meet a certain image. If you are over 40 or have been in your role too long they not only will not hire you but they will not even support you with feedback necessary to help you be successful with career advancement.

My advice to job seekers is this. Only apply at Amex if you are under 35 and have graduated from college in the last couple years. If you get hired into a front line phone position make sure that you post out for a band 30 advancement as soon as you have completed your required first year in your original role, before you are type casted into that role. Finally, make sure you never ever disagree with any management as this may also permanently black list you from doing anything other than the front line phone rep position.
Pros
benefits inluding health insurance and generous pto.
Cons
lack of advancement consideration if you are over a certain age or in current role too long, also dont ever, ever question management, even if you can support it, as you wil also then be "black listed" from advancement consideration.
Beware before you apply
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLJanuary 7, 2014
The hiring process is very difficult and drawn out but the pay and benefits are excellent BUT PLEASE BEWARE. When you are hired, you are told that this is not just a job; it's a career and that you are now here for life...you are now PART OF THE FAMILY. You are given the impression that you are a permanent employee from day one. Unfortunately, that is not the case. You must go through a training process and instead of basing your permanent hire on how well you did in the training process, your permanent hire is based on surveys that you receive in a very, very flawed system. You will receive bad surveys from card members you never even talked to or regarding issues like...American Express making a corporate decision to remove an airport lounge access which has nothing to do with the service you provided that card member just their dissatisfaction with a corporate decision that you took no part in but YOU will get that bad survey and they will constantly tell you that there is nothing they can do about you now being stuck with that bad survey although they listen to those calls and know that it had nothing to do with you but that one bad survey may very well keep you from getting a permanent hire. Also, keep in mind that in order to wipe out 1 bad survey, you must get at least 5 excellent surveys...yeah, that math makes no sense to me either. Additionally, with the mess they have with the company that manages their surveys, your surveys are sometimes held for 10 days and when 1 bad survey and only two good surveys in a week can destroy your possibility of being permanent, you  more... can understand that they holding surveys back can affect you in the worse way.

Their system frankly makes no sense because they spend all this money on background checks, training, paying into your benefits from day one, etc. and pay you a good salary just to walk 50% of a training class out of the bldg. based on surveys that you have no control over and have nothing to do with the customer service you actually provided. Someone at the top either doesn't know these dumb business decisions are being made or they just don't care to realize that this can only serve to breakdown what was once an amazing company to be a part of.

You are even required to select your health insurance within 60 days of hire although you may very well be walked out of the bldg within the next three months and ultimately be left with no health insurance whatsoever because you cancelled the insurance you had prior to working there and now after Obamacare, you can't get it back.

Also, remember all the above if you are considering leaving a permanent position you currently have to take a job with American Express. You may be leaving something solid for a very, VERY shaky possibility. Do you really want to risk your security that you've worked hard at, on the luck of the draw? The grass isn't always greener on the other side is absolutely applicable when considering a position with American Express. It's unfortunate because every actual permanent employee I spoke with told me it was an excellent place to work but again, to actually get to that point you have to walk on hot coals and glass. It's all a matter of luck and not experience or skill, which in the long run only serves to hurt the company and its card members.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hiring practices; flawed employee rating system; lies when being hired
Will be facing numerous class action lawsuits with the way they treat employees
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 9, 2015
I learned that if you truly excel at your current position, you will not be promoted. Mgt may put you thru mgt training, but you won't end up with a team. Instead, you'll be told you need experience in a different dept. Then you'll be stuck same as before.
The people that work side by side with you are awesome! It's the mgt that leaves a lot to be desired. They are automatons, spewing the same old dreck that upper mgt feeds them. Middle mgt knows that if they speak up for their employees and try to right the many wrongs done to the reps, they will either be demoted or out right fired.
DO NOT believe the dollar amount you "could" make in any job posting for this company! What they don't tell you is that nice amount included bonus pay-outs for selling and or reaching certain metrics. These metrics are impossible to consistently reach. One bad month with low survey scores, and you lose that month's bonus along with the next two following months. It takes that long to dig yourself out of that hole, that is, if you're able to do so. So, with all your hard work, you will end up making the base minimum of the position.
The survey system they utilize to rate their in-bound call center employees is archaic and faulty. You can and will get derogatory surveys that belong to another rep. Whether in your call center or a different part of the world. Doesn't matter. They will not remove the bad score from your numbers even though they can do so. This problem is getting people fired for low performance! They also won't remove poor survey scores for complaints that are completely out of your
  more... hands, even if you handle the call exactly the way they require.
The center I worked at utilized a phone system that was about 20 yrs old. You have to log on to start your shift, log off and then on for breaks and lunch. Every phone shows a different time. You can set the timer on the phone to show you took just 15 min for your break, but the antiquated system can show as much as 3 min difference on your phone but up to 7 min difference between your phone and your neighbor's! This, too, is getting good people fired for being "out of adherence".
The company is moving more and more of their customer service to India and the Philippines. Even though those two countries have strict limitations on the types of accounts they can access, they are still getting those calls, then transferring them back to the USA. This results in very unhappy customers.
Bottom line: if you are really desperate for a job, apply. Buy keep looking for a career elsewhere. You don't want to be the worst rep at any job, but at American Express, you definitely don't want to be the best either.
Pros
antiquated phone system and survey ratings; management
Cons
nice friendly coworkers
• 8.5 years of professional experience in full life cycle system development involving analysis, design, implementation, maintenance and support of ap
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 12, 2014
CCSG (Consumer card service group) targets individual customers in the U.S. markets. CCSG is responsible for developing, marketing and servicing all aspects of charge and lending card products of American Express in the United States. CCSG services are grouped according to customer status, i.e. existing card members, new card members, or card members eligible for an upgrade. CCSG offers services to three financial streams namely: Credit Cards, Charge Cards and Partner Cards. OPEN Cards targets for Corporate/Business cards.
CCSG App Redesign DTW/UA: Redesign and integrate DTW Prescreened and Non Pre- Selected applications flows for CCSG card products. The appearance of the Re-designed UIs should be reflective of the AMEX brand image and should match the existing Redesign experience for CCSG prospect flow. Existing Microsite login pages, Decode pages, upsell pages will need to be integrated as part of Redesign.
CCSG App REDESIGN (App Transformation): The objective of this project is to provide a new user interface for prospect and already card member customers applying for the American Express Cards. Digitals, a third party team, will provide the UI and back end functionality is developed using spring web flow with struts integration. The technologies used for development are spring web flow struts Json and Ajax. This application will be hosted on the WAS 6 server.

My role is Senior Java Developer and Technical lead.
• Involved in analysis, design and development, testing phases of application.
• Interaction with client team to understand business requirements and develop the
  more... System design and involved in technical discussions, design reviews with Architects.
• Involved actively in frequent calls with business to gather requirements from the client and analyze the technical feasibility
• Worked on Struts ,Spring MVC and spring web flow framework to build web applications
• Used different types of J2EE design patterns like Front Controller, MVC and DAO.
• Developed the User Interface Screens for presentation using JSP, JSTL, HTML and Java Script.
• Worked on complete life cycle, design, development and testing using OOA and OOD.
• Worked on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Low level JQuery tasks handle the front end requirements.
• User java design patterns like Singleton, Factory patterns
• SOAP based web services and exposed and also consumed the services
• Used JUnit for Unit testing the application.
• Deployed code on WAS servers using UNIX commands
• Implemented Log4J for Logging Errors, debugging and tracking.
• Delivered many successful projects which involved analyzing requirements from the client design the architecture and developing complex business logic
• Lead a team of 5 people to deliver projects which changed the entire architecture of all online American Express personal card application (prospect, card member and rsvp)
• Actively involved in solving the production defects on priority bases.
• Provided the post production support and actively responded to customer calls and emails.
• Received client accolades and appreciations on several occasions
Pros
free accomodation, free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Death March
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2015
I was hired as a contract-to-hire, so right out of the gate, I had to perform in order to ensure my position. I was prepared to work extra hours, and go above and beyond to ensure my position; however, this was the norm. Hours were typically 9am to 7pm. This was strange for me because I am used to hours starting earlier. Our team was spread over different timezones, so I came in early enough to work effectively across timezones. I produced numerous advancements in our product; however, I my efforts were continually diminished by my manager. It was nearing the point where I was about to approach HR about it. His reasons were unfounded with absolutely no reason. Many times his reasons were, "I'm the manager and I can do/say what I want." The project manager and development manager were never on the same page. This caused priorities to shift often. The "business" group pretty much governs the direction technology goes in. My manager would make "knee jerk" decisions based on the sentiment of the business group. I got the feeling that this mysterious group was pretty much the deciding factor on success or failure at this company. Besides impacting the direction of people's careers, it also dictated technological advancements within the company. Often times, over more effective and efficient software development practices, lesser choices were made. This lead to much of the technologies within Amex to be antiquated at best. Also, I worked closely with RFCs as part of the change management process. RFCs are required for each change and can take hours/days to complete. For something  more... as simple as a "one-line" configuration change can be more paperwork than admission into an accredited university. I realize that Amex is basically a bank, but I have compared against other financial institutions and I am unswayed in my opinion. I have also worked in government institutions, and I can say honestly, I have never seen a company so bent on its own failure.  less
Pros
Onsite cafeteria, great staff, decent pay
Cons
limited advancement, out-dated technologies, management not open-minded, convoluted change management, difficult overhead
WAS a great place to work. Now.....not so much.
Corporate Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 30, 2013
I've been with Amex for almost 8 years. For the last 4-5 years, the work environment has become increasingly stressful. I've seen several co-workers be walked out due to not reaching the required numbers, yet they were excellent customer service reps, some being employed there for 20+ years. I know my day will come, no matter how hard I work. Amex used to treat their employees as a valued part of the business, but not anymore. It's a numbers driven business. Personally speaking, I would be a much harder worker if I didn't have constant worries about how to deal with unfair treatment and policies and procedures that don't make sense. The daily system issues are so frustrating to deal with, and the customers are upset over a website that isn't working, and then they give the employee a bad survey for it when it wasn't our fault. If you get too many of those surveys, you'll be walked out. Over the years, I have learned how to deliver a difficult message to customers, and have gained a lot of knowledge of security awareness training, relationship care and the like, that I will take with me wherever I go. Amex has spent thousands of dollars to train me, yet they will no longer benefit from that because of the way they treat their employees. Hopefully, I use my job talents that Amex paid for at another company that appreciates their employees. Lastly, I am pretty sure that I will be terminated when I go into work tomorrow, and I suspect that it's from using FMLA, but they'll call it something else. I will miss my co-workers, but they'll be along shortly. Those former co-workers that  more... I keep in touch with tell me that they are much happier where they now are, and it makes me envious. My paycheck has been inaccurate, bonuses forgotten to be paid, and other monetary miscalculations that hit you in the wallet.  less
Pros
some recognition. bonuses.
Cons
nepotism. you have to know the right people in order to move up in the company.
Challenging projects, Professional People
Lead Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Westin, Fl.June 2, 2013
 Technical Lead representing U.S. on the design, development and support of a global American Express Customer Statement system. Traveled overseas to provide technical consultation on U.S. domestic and international postal regulations, statement volumes and capacity performances, marketing functionality and assure compliance with regulatory reporting requirements
 Participated in the development of Quality Control team processes and rollout of a QC team that led to a 400% improvement in change failure. Conducted design reviews, recommended process improvements, ensured applications were constructed using standardized methodologies, enforced coding guidelines/testing requirements and coordinated project implementations. Our recommendations resulted in over $200,000 saved in project implementation failures and maintained zero defects for 10 months.
 Principal designer and developer of an automated testing facility that reduced setup time by 90%, resource needs by 75% and test execution time by 50%. Published the American Express U.S. Billing Test Procedures guidebook. Assigned/managed a test team to standardize test requirements, procedures and expected test results for American Express billing software. The test team supported 50% more efforts in the same timeframe than prior application teams.
 Technical lead and mentor responsible for knowledge transfer to an international outsourcing team (Syntel) responsible for American Express Acquisition systems production support. Tasks included monitoring credit bureaus, AMEX and vendor interface outages, communication of problem
  more... to applicable business and technical groups, problem determination and resolution in a multi-tiered environment utilizing CICS/IMS problem solving techniques to restore service; root cause analysis and follow-up maintenance after service is restored. Implemented process improvements and shared best practices to reduce cycle delays.
 Redesigned and restructured the American Express Customer Statement system with emphasis on domestic and international postal regulations and discounts, statement volumes and capacity performances, marketing functionality, mail inserts and assure compliance with regulatory reporting requirements
 Acquired, remodeled, leased and manage single dwelling rental properties
Working for AM EX Investment Banking Company was Great!
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO Ventura, CAJune 30, 2015
It was an employment that required me to study at work and pass four National tests before I was able to begin the training for employment. Then, I was sent to another major city in another state to train with many other people that had recently passed the major national exam and we studied together and then passed two other tests and spent seventeen months in a training program. After the training together in the other major city in another state, we were to pass one more state exam and also perform qualifying duties to accomplish so that we were able to stay employed with the American Express Investment Banking company. The information my colleagues and I learned was varied and we were taught standard company training. Also, we learned from working with the employees of the American Express Investment Banking Company and the customers that called in or customers that we had called. I spent time speaking also to other cities at headquarters of the American Express Investment Banking Company, sending faxes and also using computer generated communication. Additionally, I sent out much mail to American Express customers. I had many meetings directly with clients and also planned and held many public. seminars so I began to be more comfortable speaking to groups of people. The workday began very early and I worked sixty hour work weeks. I learned to be a specialist in several areas that required much time to ask questions and thankfully the people that I worked with were people that were interested in precise details and enjoyed explaining to my satisfaction that then my time  more... was leveraged so that my coworkers could then come to me and be advised quickly of what they might want to know about that area of expertise. Our management provided many meetings: every morning, at lunch and sometimes in the afternoon with trainers from companies that had working relations with American Express Investment Bankers Specifically, I really liked this employment as it was different every day and I think that the people that I worked with also enjoyed what they were doing and the management was totally supportive in providing much training since we met directly with government agencies to assure that we had been trained and worked knowledgeably as professionals. In summary, I feel fortunate that I American Express Investment Banking Company hired me and that I was could work for them.  less
Pros
I liked being able to learn work information and present it logically
Cons
Management was very supportive and helped make work fun
Great company, benefits, culture
REGIONAL MANAGER OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 1, 2016
American Express is a great company, but has been having a considerable amount of turmoil for the past few years. Internal systems are very antiquated, and tools provided to salespeople to do their jobs are poor, and the data very outdated and unreliable. The company is floundering a bit trying to navigate the new, highly competitive business environment but has made great strides this past year. They have new products and new ideas, and this will be a great place to work. Expect constant change and frustration in the meantime.

Great 401K, profit sharing, and incentive compensation structure for sales. There is an opportunity to make $350,000 annually and regularly in this job once you have your territory pipeline up and running. More on a great year. Additionally, you are very independent and they give you the latitude to run your territory as you wish. You decide how you want to prospect, market, etc. and the culture is very open and willing to share best practices and new ideas so everyone can succeed. You are not competing against each other for your paycheck, so everybody helps each other.

Front-end support to sales reps is in some ways excellent. They have appointment setters to help fill your calendar (this needs improvement in the execution, but the concept is fabulous) and good marketing incentive mailers to potential customers to help open doors every month.

Back-end support to sales is weak. You get paid on the charge volume of your customers, but getting vendors on board and keeping them on board is a constant challenge. Much of the back-end
  more... work will fall on the salesperson, and takes away from selling time. Training is also very weak, so much of the knowledge you need you will need to find out and acquire through your own resourcefulness.  less
Pros
Great benefits, culture, work/life balance, management, and compensation potential
Cons
Need new products, better systems, better card acceptance, better back end support
Horrible place to work H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E
Care professional (Former Employee) –  AT HOMENovember 14, 2012
Please don't even apply for the AT Home position. I left my job of 5 years for this job, and I still regret it. This company lies to its employees constantly, they dont give you all the information about the position. But in training after you have sent in your two weeks notice to your employer for American Express they tell you "Oh yeah by the way you need to finish these 10 transactions the customer ask of you in 3 minutes." Really if you had told me that I wouldn't have resigned from my job . I asked the interviewer numerous times why was I in training for 3 months she said "Oh just so we can make sure you know the product." They have all these rules on how they can fire you. Call avoidance, Taking too long on a call, System Issues, Transferring, being in auxillary mode and Surveys. Let me just talk about surveys for a second. They will hold you accountable even if it's something that is totally unreasonable and out of even their own company policy and the customer complains in a survey about it. This company is run by a bunch of idiots.Then they have micro managers on the phone that will hold you accountable for what the past rep did to the customer and when you try to fix it for them, management tells you , you were on the phone too long. We asked our trainer what the success rate was for graduating training we were lied to and told he only got rid of 1 person all the time he has been training . While I was in training 3 people were fired just in my training class.They also put a Webcam in your house during training .STAY AWAY!
Pros
33, 000 a year
Cons
call center work, no morals or values at this company
Merchant Services
Merchant Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2013
 Recognizing and solving merchant’s issues.
 Took supervisor calls for escalations.
 Worked guideline questions (help peers with solutions, questions and procedures).
 OJT Coach helping new hires with solutions, questions and procedures.
 Evaluating and analyzing account information and recommending tailored solutions for merchants.
 Helped merchants and employees with password resets/trouble shooting.
 Worked in a fast paced call center taking approximately 100 calls per day.
 Worked chargeback/disputes with explaining rules, regulations, policies, procedures and decisions/outcomes of approvals or denials.
 Delivered extraordinary customer care by responding to questions concerning merchant accounts.
 Documenting necessary account information.
 Maintained extraordinary performance standards, including effectiveness, efficiency and quality.
 Accurately responding to phone calls from existing customers.
 Utilizing computers & mathematics to calculate differential equations.
 Collect statistical data, explain complex mathematical information, and compile numerical or statistical data.
 Verify signatures for financial transactions
 Examine financial documents to verify issue
 Gather relevant financial data
 Verify data from invoices to ensure accuracy
 Analyze financial information to project future revenues or expense
 Inspect account books or system for efficiency, effectiveness, or acceptability.
 Inform clients of fluctuations affecting account.
 Maintain account records
 Examine files or documents to obtain information
 Enter time sheet information
  more...
 Conduct or attend staff meetings
 Retrieve files or charts, take messages, type letters or correspondence, distribute correspondence or mail, and evaluate importance of incoming telephone calls.
 Make presentations by using public speaking techniques on negotiation techniques
 Management & Office Services to calculate rates for organization's products or services
 Relay information to proper officials by examining documents for completeness, accuracy, or conformance to standards
 Write business correspondence by using word processing or desktop publishing software
 Answer calls using switchboard and routing multi-line telephone calls
Would not recommend.
Travel Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Campbellsville, KyJuly 24, 2015
The upper management is terrible. No one ever seems to know what's going on and they lie. The company will send emails about these wonderful incentives to make their workers work extra hard to receive and they do not follow through when the goal is accomplished. There is no balance between work and home. If a day off is needed well forget it. No in house staffing all staffing requests are done in some foreign country. Pay is terrible. We get screamed at on a daily basis from card members about things that are not in our control and smile. Give some sort of empathy statement and move on to the next one. Definitely do not get paid enough. Raises are a joke. After a year of employment I received a 5¢ raise. Company does not care about it's employees or customers.
Too many people strung out on drugs in the call center but management turns a blind eye. One worker with severe mood swings who has threatened to blow the place up and during his ranting and raving not one person said a word or had him removed from the building. Instead he kept his job and has at least 3 other episodes. (And this is while on the phone with customers)
Pros
None.
Cons
HR hires anyone with a pulse, Manager is not qualified for the position by any means, For a family of 4 health insurance is $387 per pay period, The place is a revolving door of junkies and ex cons, pay stinks
Job was very unorganized and schedules were all over the place. Definitely did not work for people with children!
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2015
-You work, take your breaks (2 15 minutes breaks and a 30 minute lunch). Can not use your phone at all on the floor because of customer information I understand, but if you had an emergency and a relative needed to call you, then they would have to call the job if they knew the number that is.
-Being on the phone there I learned patience with irate customers and to also organize a little better while working and slightly progressed with multitasking.
-Management was very unorganized and some days unprofessional. Some reps advanced to supervisor positions yes but sometimes due to favoritism. Some of the people who were supervisors there have either quit or moved to another department in another building.
-Hardest part of the job mostly deals with 2 things:
*Schedules: Which are all over the place and you usually didn't have a choice to choose but if you were able to choose, you would have to pick what was left over. And especially for those who have kids you would really have to hound the managers for a suitable schedule so you can arrange babysitters and or pick up your kids.
*Co-Worker Drama: It is always something with certain coworkers. Bringing outside drama to the job itself and or having a issue with another coworker for either personal, envious self reasons, or just for no reason at all. Very unprofessional.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is the different people you meet. At times it may get slow and no calls are coming in, you may past the time with a co-worker discussing different things with them, maybe even laugh at times.
Pros
the people you meet and the patience you learn to handle dealing with customers.
Cons
everything else!
Can be nice place to work, compensation needs to be better, Not the best management, job culture is okay
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montreal- TorontoJuly 26, 2014
There is a sincere problem with american express treating it's employees, they sometimes treat you as corporrate slaves. Their bonus structure is out there to get you, so you don't earn your bonus. And they are always randomly changing things, Most of this can be lost, if a card member gives a survey about you, no mattter how hard you try to save a bad mood card member, you will get a poor call which in turn would make you lose your bonus. Still does not sound convincing? Card members are asked two questions, one about the company and one about the agent they are working for. If the member is not in a good mood, he will rate american express poorly, and excellent for agent it would still effect the agent as poor, and would look poor in monthly evaluation. Amex takes away your bonus to reduce the damage of the card member's views about the company, if the card member considers amex to be poor, Amex doesn't say thank you for trying to save a card member but instead considers the employee poor in dealing with cm. At some times, it is American express's fault for not having leeway in dealing with some customers. Upper management can sometimes change situation with card members, but it rarely happens, so ones who are automatically affected are amex's agents. They tell frontline workers, to treat customers in a humanely way, but fail to reach that objective with their employees. This is current standard of american express today. They make changes, and they should aim to create a standard quality for their frontline workers.
Pros
relax environment if you do what they want.
Cons
compensation, weak incentive program that doesn't encourage you but police's you.
Corporate Culture and Values Are Not Followed By All Management
Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 22, 2012
I started in the Miami Lakes office of Business Travel, then transfered to an onsite office in New Jersey. I was a top performer earning many awards and additional responsibilities that I requested. The company brags they are names one of "Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality according to the Human Rights Campaign, 2010."
After 4 years, I transferred to New Jersey. My new team leader was very cold to me. Once she found out I was gay, she began to sabotage my work, then reported me to her boss. There was nothing wrong with my work, and I have documented proof of the sabotage. In a meeting, she stated I didn't know my Sabre formats. She obviously didn't read my resume which shows I had been using Sabre successfully since 1989. I am presently working at another agency on a system I've used for only 6 years, and I'm considered wonderful. I was forced to stay up to 2 hours after my shift daily with no additional pay. I became so frustrated, I started to get nosebleeds at the drop of a hat. After only one month in the New Jersey office, I was placed on a level 3 of discipline. I became so ill over that level, I had to eventaully resign.

If you decide to apply, interview your interviewer carefully. Management knows the rules, but don't always follow them. Interviewer beware
Pros
free lunches, fellow employees
Cons
blue box values not always practiced depending on location
Fun, productive, energetic, excellent training and opportunities
Manager, CAS (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 20, 2013
Busy! Very fast paced environment with focuses on employee satisfaction, coaching and improving performance while handling project work.

I learned more working here than anywhere else. I obtained my Six Sigma Green Belt and so many certifications they can't all be listed.

Management Leaders were consistently interested in your career and promotability. They held think tanks where we did trouble shooting on issues and discussed new ideas and streamlining processes. Every idea was followed through on by the person who suggested it. Each point of view was taken seriously and all feedback was accepted positively due to our training in giving and receiving feedback. These think tanks created excitement and a true sense of being a part of something bigger than yourself where you are appreciated.

It was a competive environment between leaders, yet we would help eachother and share best practices, which did not go unnoticed.

The most difficult part was the extremely fast pace, which I actually enjoyed!

Great salaries and bonuses at all levels, rewarding and recognizing successes at all levels, the endless possibilities of promotions and having a dream team of managers at all levels were just some of the great parts of this job.
Pros
reward and recognition, fun days for associates, fully engaged and caring upper management, work-life balance, volunteer opportunities and a great spirit of being a solid team
Used to be this amazing place to work with lots of opportunity, but not so much now.
High Touch Sales (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake CityMarch 9, 2015
I still have many friends that are apart of American Express and they are constantly filled with fear of lay offs, performance reviews, and constant push for achievement. Amex taught me a lot but mostly how to keep my head down. They have some good benefits like tuition reimbursement, but the insurance is very costly with a high deductible for lower band employees, the higher band employees, managers and above, actually have better insurance with lower deductibles, I think that is pretty despicable. They convince you its the best place to work and that you couldn't find anything better. Their hourly pay is low and tied to incentives which used to be reasonable to reach and have high payouts for top performers, which really offset the negative. The goals have changed many times and the payouts are now not achievable or have a low pay out. The Amex customers are disgruntled and speaking with that type of person all day long definitely takes a toll. The advancement there is tied to WHO YOU KNOW and pretty much nothing else. SO many times during an interview I heard, "Why didn't you ask someone to put a word in for you..." After I heard that for the tenth time I put in my two weeks and moved on. I have had so much success since leaving Amex; it feels good to be valued for what you know and not who you hang out with on the weekends.
Pros
training, cafeteria, vacation time, tuition reimbursement
Cons
management, fraternization, cutlure of high performance breeds cheating
Used to be awesome ... Going downhill sadly
Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 23, 2013
The Company has "blue box values", which are excellent and speak to integrity and community. Unfortunately, management doesn't always adhere to them and sometimes lie to make upper-management happy and cover-up the ever-increasing lack of morale.

15 years ago, Amex was an awesome company. Since then, they have been quietly outsourcing more-and-more positions in order to save a buck and drive their stock value by reducing costs and overhead. They do it quietly in order to avoid customer backlash and reduce complaints.

I've caught managers lying about projects and blaming others for failures. I've also caught them lying about circumstances surrounding persons being terminated in order to cover their own mistakes. Unfortunately, complaining to Ombuds or HR simply make matters worse for you as an employee.

So many in my department are looking outside the company quietly , while preaching how great things are to fellow team-members.

I wish those in power would reconsider their efforts to save a buck by increasing their re-investment in domestic employees that have worked so hard to make the company great and are now loosing their jobs to co-workers overseas who are paid much less. Sure, outsourcing saves $$, but, in the long run, I think it will come back to haunt Amex.
Pros
blue box values
Cons
poor management, cover ups, lack of integrity, resist questioning of tactics, lie about employees to make themselves look good
Sr Sharepoint Developer
SharePoint Developer/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2015
• Overall 8 years of experience in architecture design, requirements analysis, development and testing of software systems in client/server, web and distributed environment.
• Over 6 years of experience in SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2010, MOSS 2007, WSS 3.0 and Lotus Notes technologies.
• Installed and Configured SharePoint2013/2010/MOSS2007 in a server farm environment.
• Experience in implementing and configuring BDC/BCS, InfoPath Forms, Excel Services, Access Service, Visio Services, Performance Point & Managed Metadata service, User Profile Service.
• Expertise in configuring and implementing Enterprise search.
• Experience in developing Custom Workflows using SharePoint designer 2010/2007.
• Extensive experience in handling IIS Web servers, good knowledge in NLB.
• Expertise in installing software updates, windows updates, SharePoint hot fixes/ cumulative updates/service packs and SQL server service packs.
• Good Knowledge on monitoring utilities such as ULSLogviewer and Fiddler.
• Experience in taking full backups, differential backups at Farm level, Site Collection level using Central administration, STSADM and PowerShell.
• Experience with SQL Server 2008/2005 installation, configuration and administration.
• Experience in MS SQL Server upgrades from 2005 to MS SQL Server 2008/2008R2.
• Extensive experience in migration from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and WSS3.0 to SharePoint 2010/MOSS 2007.
• Have experience in Data migration and moving document libraries from WSS 3.0 to MOSS 2007, MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and SP2010 to SP2013.
• Extensive Experience
  more... in working with Third party tools like IDERA, DOCAVE 6.0 to perform backup/restore and migration.
• Experience in working and configuring Third party products like Nintex, K2 and Kwizcom.
• Good expertise in managing permissions for the SharePoint user groups.
• Experience in SharePoint Performance tuning and implementation of best practices for administration purposes.
• Expertise in troubleshooting and resolve all issues related to SharePoint server farm Environment.
Productive, always changing enviorment
Permanent Coach (Former Employee) –  Greensboro NCApril 9, 2012
At American Express I climbed the corporate ladder. Having the opportunity to learn many different jobs and travel around the world implementing what I had learned was a great experiance for me. As a Team leader my typical day was making sure that my team was performing at the highest level that they could. We would have team meetings and one on one sessions to identify and implement changes to each persons areas of opportunities. As a Coach I was assisting with the training process. Making sure that each person recieved the best possible training we could provide. Sometimes I would pull individuals from the classroom enviorment to provide them more one on one help.

I learned about Corporate America. I now understandthe work that it takes and how many people it takes to have a successful company.I learned about networking and joining social networks at work.

I am a people person so I enjoyed my co workers. I believe in keeping our relationships proffessional to avoid any misunderstandings.

I believe the hardest part of the job was when I had to let people go. It is a hard conversation to have with people but sometimes very necessary. Its hard when you know you are doing everthing to help someone but they do not want to help themselves.

The most enjoyable parts was seeing people move on to do bigger and better things and knowing that I had a part in helping them reach there goals.
Pros
the enviorment
Cons
being laid off