American Express
1,743 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Nice to work
Technology Lead / Architect (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 13, 2015
It is pleasure to work with American Express.
Good environment to work.
Very helpful Co-workers.
Learned management skills.
Stable company, constantly evolving
Specialist, Business Development (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2015
Good work and life balance. Stable company, which is constantly changing and evolving. Good internal opportunities for growth and development.
Productive and Fun
Merchant Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits. respect motivation training
Cons: Like in any corporate company, you have to be a sweet talker to advance
Be on the phone as working in a call center, excellent colleagues but like in any corporate company you have to sweet talk your way through to advance your career
AMEX is one the best employers to work for. Embracing diversity to the highest degree.
Training Team Leader (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2015
Pros: A top notch employer with many benefits offered immediately upon employment.
Cons: None that come to mind
On a typical day the telephone rep. will answer an average of 110 calls per day. Keep in mind that a cardmember usually calls into the center because they are experiencing a problem or issue with their account. Calls are directed to the tele. rep. one call immediately after the other. Throughout their shift and during each call the rep. is consistently monitored and is responsible to perform many tasks while providing the very best customer service possible, meeting and maintaining their adherence and handling time per call, each rep must offer card upgrades as well as upselling member services, he/she must also be knowledgeable and aware of the many different features and benefits that pertain to each offer. All this while being provided feedback on their handling of the calls and whether or not they are meeting and maintaining AMEX set metrics. Team leaders are as busy and keeping their staff of no more 15 per team
Great place to work with creative smart people.
Director of Finance (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 10, 2015
Amex Publishing was a division of American Express sold to Time Inc in October 2013. The division, while part of a much larger corporation, had the feel of a small entrepreneurial business. The job was exciting as each day brought new challenges which the employees were given the ability to collaborate and work through together with guidance, as needed, from senior management. I learned how to manage up and down throughout the organization as well as other areas of American Express and Time Inc and became a well respected member of the team who could influence decision makers.
COOL PEOPLE
Membership Consultant Services (Former Employee), Margate, FLJuly 9, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: NONE
NICE PEOPLE AND COOL PLACE TO WORK. ANYONE LOOKING FOR A JOB SHOULD APPLY AND SEE FOR THEIR SELP INSTEAD OF DEPENDING ON A REVIEW RATHER THAT GOING OFF OF WHAT A PAST EMPLOYEE HAS TO SAY.
Wonderful Company to Work For
MRP Controller (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Too many to list
Cons: Dwntown
Very professional environment. I learned most of what I know of the industry at this company, unbelievable training offered. Management was very responsible and accountable. Coworkers were respectful and team players. I love this company and encourage anyone to be a part of a company like this.
Excellent client I worked with...
Test Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 7, 2015
Great client people.. great work culture.. great opportunities.. good technologies being used.. more learning stuff to grow in career...
Travel Agency For The Rich
Travel Counselor/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Quarterly comp trips
Working for American Express as a travel counselor was a great opportunity not only to serve those with the platinum or centurion card in their travel needs, but it gave me a daily diversity in my work
Productive Workplace
Anti-Money Laundering Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2015
Great place to learn about anti money laundering and fast pace style. The training that they provide is top notch and plenty of opportunities to move up within the company.
I learned alot at this job, and they worked hard in the departments I worked in to create team players.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Good communications through meetings, they were appreciative.
Cons: They were moving several departments to India, and Arizona. Always a bit of a concern.
I survived four major layoffs during the economic downturn, and advanced accordingly. Even though that thought was always a possibility, I felt confident in the departments I was placed.
Fast pace environment
Operations Analyst- IPO (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits, love the people I work with and the customers I service
Cons: Not enough staff to do the job, All about performance numbers
The hardest part of the job is not enough staff to do the job that needs to be done. Coverage is always thin which impedes on my personal time off and the ability to develop, learn and grow.

The most enjoyable part of my day is enjoy what I do, servicing the customers I have. Providing the best information, support and knowledge I can. Always willing to help and service with a smile.
Worldwide industry leader with future advancement opportunities
Specialized Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: working hours and vacation policy
The daily work is not repetitive and requires critical thinking to complete. The management is dedicated to helping you succeed in your career path.
it was a great place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJuly 1, 2015
Cons: they outsource as many of the jobs possible
after 20 years, you have done a lot of different jobs. I was mostly customer service.
at the beginning it was an amazing company to work for. they cared about their people and were family oriented.
towards the end, it was only about the bottom line and how many jobs they could send out of the country so the upper mgmt could fill their pockets with large bonuses.
at the time, we had an amazing benefit package, that went down the toilet as well. you pay out a lot of $$ for medical only to receive poor coverage and high co-pays.
Overall wonderful employer
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, co-workers
Cons: Some worked holidays
Great company to work for. Work environment was uplifting. Learned a tremendous amount in training and while employed. Management was very hands on in helping to reach goals.
Love working for American Express
eLearning Authoring Specialist (Current Employee), Overland Park KSJune 30, 2015
I am in the job market because my position at American Express has been displaced. I really like AMEX, the people, culture and management and wish my job had not been displaced. This is a company I really wanted to retire with. They are good people and treat their employees very well.
Great place to work with multiple opportunities to grow
Director of Customer Experience (Marketing) (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
American Express is a very exciting organization to work for. It provides a many opportunities to increase your marketing acumen.

I a matrix organization where you learn how to with interact with multiple levels of the organization in multiple international markets.

Overall, great company to work for with a lot of opportunities for growth.
Great benefits
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Schedule
Worked in call center taking incoming corporate calls using the ACD system. Assisted corporate clients in all travel related needs at a professional and business level.
Productive work environment
Travel Consultant - Work from Home (Former Employee), Madison, MSJune 30, 2015
Pros: Work from home
Cons: Excessive micro management
American Express allowed a work from home environment, which was beneficial. Micro management seemed to be extremely excessive.
Working for AM EX Investment Banking Company was Great!
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Denver, CO Ventura, CAJune 30, 2015
Pros: I liked being able to learn work information and present it logically
Cons: Management was very supportive and helped make work fun
It was an employment that required me to study at work and pass four National tests before I was able to begin the training for employment. Then, I was sent to another major city in another state to train with many other people that had recently passed the major national exam and we studied together and then passed two other tests and spent seventeen months in a training program. After the training together in the other major city in another state, we were to pass one more state exam and also perform qualifying duties to accomplish so that we were able to stay employed with the American Express Investment Banking company. The information my colleagues and I learned was varied and we were taught standard company training. Also, we learned from working with the employees of the American Express Investment Banking Company and the customers that called in or customers that we had called. I spent time speaking also to other cities at headquarters of the American Express Investment Banking Company, sending faxes and also using computer generated communication. Additionally, I sent out much mail to American Express customers. I had many meetings directly with clients and also planned and held many public. seminars so I began to be more comfortable speaking to groups of people. The workday began very early and I worked sixty hour work weeks. I learned to be a specialist in several areas that required much time to ask questions and thankfully the people that I worked with were people that were interested in precise details and enjoyed explaining to my satisfaction that then my time – more... was leveraged so that my coworkers could then come to me and be advised quickly of what they might want to know about that area of expertise. Our management provided many meetings: every morning, at lunch and sometimes in the afternoon with trainers from companies that had working relations with American Express Investment Bankers Specifically, I really liked this employment as it was different every day and I think that the people that I worked with also enjoyed what they were doing and the management was totally supportive in providing much training since we met directly with government agencies to assure that we had been trained and worked knowledgeably as professionals. In summary, I feel fortunate that I American Express Investment Banking Company hired me and that I was could work for them. – less

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries