American Express
1,526 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

Good to work for
Job Coach, Customer Service (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 7, 2015
Pros: 401k
I enjoyed going into to work and their work life balance. Salary was good and bonuses great, Would never of left people where good to work with.
A fantastic company to work for.
Relationship Care Consultant (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 6, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, great management, telecommuting, team spirit
Cons: call center work
Over the years I have worked with American Express, I have realized what an awesome company Amex is, and the people who I worked with are in my opinion the best in the business. I have not reported to any "bad managers", and there is always a team spirit with my co-workers.

My work was call center work. This involved "driving a desk" and wearing a head set - answering incoming calls from anyone and everyone about their account for the whole shift. I did this from 1999 until 2011 when American Express's call center closed. Even then, we were encouraged (and many of us were accepted) to apply for our same job in a home office setting. This brought many advantages because we traded off cubicle space and cafeteria food for our own personal office and whatever we cooked at home.

If you are okay with call center work, love interacting with people via the telephone, and want to work with the best in the business, then I would heartily recommend checking to see if American Express has any job openings and apply with them.
Team work
Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 5, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: center closed and went to phoeniz, az
It was a high stressed job. We did collections from past due accounts. Many times we would get yelled at, hung up on. The best part about the job was being able to negotiate with card members to try to bring accounts current.
Good training and support..Too much politics
Regional Manager Business Development (Current Employee), New YorkMarch 4, 2015
Pros: benefits, work-life
Cons: immobility, office politics galore
Good company overall to work for. They train very well, and you will know how to do your job. Advancement however is difficult unless you are in the right click. No longer is hitting your target numbers enough to advance. You need to schmooze with VPs until you get liked enough to move up. Probably not any different than any other large corporation.
Ops risk
Global Operations Risk Management (Current Employee), Jersey City, NJMarch 3, 2015
Ops risk management, compliance, ongoing monitoring
Loss Events, KRI, KPI global risk, compliance training, third party vendor oversight, card, merchant
Worked for a temporary service
Customer Service Representive (Former Employee), West Valley, UtahMarch 2, 2015
While working at American Express, though it was through a Temp Service, I had the experience working in several different departments, including the banking and travel departments
Excellent Workplace. Multicultural atmosphere
Senior Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 2, 2015
Excellent Workplace. Multicultural atmosphere with the option to explore organic opportunities. Highly recommended within financial services
Development opportunities were numerous.
Training Delivery Specialist & Leadership Trainer (Former Employee), Los Altos, CAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: many talented people to learn from
Cons: too much business travel
The typical day was challenging with tremendous growth opportunities to experience different aspects of the business.
Exciting place to work in a matrix environment
Program Manager - Global Payments (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: employees are helpful in supporting one another in achieving goals
Cons: legacy systems make it difficult to make changes or enhancements
Employees take pride in what they do. Teamwork and Collaboration is excellent when senior leaders are aligned and there is a clear roadmap that has cascaded vertically and horizontally.
Great work environment, work independently, flexible
Travel Agent (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: traveling to learn the destination
As a travel agent you worked for yourself but helped out the team as needed. Walk in customers to sit at your desk to plan a vacation. Answer phones and multi task. Customer service is key. Worked well with co-workers. Management was very hands on as needed, could always ask for help. The hardest part of the job is a trip not going as well as planned ie; weather, delays, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was planning a vacation of a lifetime and having your customer return happy!
Excellent company. I highly recommend Amex!
OPEN Customer Service (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great pay. great culture.
Cons: back to back calls.
American Express hands down has the best culture of any company I worked for. Lots of recognition. Supportive management. I have heard some of the managers weren't supportive but none that I had. Great campus. The parking lot is huge so you depending on what shift you work you might have to walk a little ways to get to and fro your car.
Technical Lead/Contractor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Was a great opportunity to learn in and grow while the contract lasted. It was a contract job with little hope of getting a full time position. No real advancement opportunities.
American Express Best in its Class
Learning & Performance Specialist (Current Employee), VirtualFebruary 26, 2015
I am very proud to work for American Express. For the past seven years, we have been recognized by our customers for the highest in customer satisfaction among credit card companies. Our company is well-respected and commitment to its employees and to giving back to the local communities. Our leaders embrace diversity and are dedicated to employee development. American Express values its customers and is steadfast in providing Card Members with innovative products and world-class service.
My first professional home
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Planation, FlFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great work environment, work life balance, health care
Cons: not alot of upperward mobility
This place afforded me and opportunity to learn a lot about the financial industry. The work environment was good and the work life balance made coming to work less stressful. There didn't seem to be a lot of opportunities for career advancement after a certain level.
Informative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2015
Working for American Express was my first full time job. When I started with the company I was doing data entry. I then moved up to customer service, where I learned how to talk to customers and help them with their needs.

The management was good, they were there to answers questions that would come up during the day.

The group of team members I worked with were great. We would work together helping each other if management wasn't close. It was a supportive group.

The hardest part of the job was upset customers, That is also where I learned that patient is a virtue. The hardest part of the job, became the part of the job that was not as hard.

What I enjoyed most was talking to customers and helping them with whatever they needed, from simple questions to having to file a fraud case to investigate a charge.
Fun working environment
Application Developer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: for every three month free team lunch
Cons: healthcare
Best Job
Lockbox Operations/Processing Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: it was a place of many opportunities.
Cons: they relocated to a foreign country.
I was with the company until they moved their operation to India. I was with them for 10 yrs. The first place where I really learned the true nature of Lockbox.
Very busy work environment.
Relationship Care Specialist (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 24, 2015
I take about 70 to 100 calls a day from business cardmembers.Inquiring about their business accounts.Questions could vary from balance unauthorized charges.Any issue they may have with their accounts.
I was able to learn and grow at American Express
Recommendations Coordinator (RC) (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: healthcare / benefits / working remotely
Cons: inability to place well qualified, talented professionals upon lay-offs / lack of loyalty
American Express focused on diversity, equal opportunity and the highest level of customer care. I worked as a liaison between Customer Care and Operations of 19+ business units - ensuring online content was accurate, in compliance and up to design standards. I primarily worked remotely, but had a shared desk in the office that I could reserve when needed. I worked with an amazing team of professionals with many diverse backgrounds, which was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great promotion opportunities
Data Entry (Former Employee), Plantation, FLFebruary 22, 2015
The entire environment leaves you with a family type feeling. It's laid back but innovative energy is pumping throughout the building.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos