American Express

1.8K reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Sr Sharepoint Developer
SharePoint Developer/Administrator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2015
• Overall 8 years of experience in architecture design, requirements analysis, development and testing of software systems in client/server, web and distributed environment.
• Over 6 years of experience in SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2010, MOSS 2007, WSS 3.0 and Lotus Notes technologies.
• Installed and Configured SharePoint2013/2010/MOSS2007 in a server farm environment.
• Experience in implementing and configuring BDC/BCS, InfoPath Forms, Excel Services, Access Service, Visio Services, Performance Point & Managed Metadata service, User Profile Service.
• Expertise in configuring and implementing Enterprise search.
• Experience in developing Custom Workflows using SharePoint designer 2010/2007.
• Extensive experience in handling IIS Web servers, good knowledge in NLB.
• Expertise in installing software updates, windows updates, SharePoint hot fixes/ cumulative updates/service packs and SQL server service packs.
• Good Knowledge on monitoring utilities such as ULSLogviewer and Fiddler.
• Experience in taking full backups, differential backups at Farm level, Site Collection level using Central administration, STSADM and PowerShell.
• Experience with SQL Server 2008/2005 installation, configuration and administration.
• Experience in MS SQL Server upgrades from 2005 to MS SQL Server 2008/2008R2.
• Extensive experience in migration from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and WSS3.0 to SharePoint 2010/MOSS 2007.
• Have experience in Data migration and moving document libraries from WSS 3.0 to MOSS 2007, MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 and SP2010 to SP2013.
• Extensive Experience – more... in working with Third party tools like IDERA, DOCAVE 6.0 to perform backup/restore and migration.
• Experience in working and configuring Third party products like Nintex, K2 and Kwizcom.
• Good expertise in managing permissions for the SharePoint user groups.
• Experience in SharePoint Performance tuning and implementation of best practices for administration purposes.
• Expertise in troubleshooting and resolve all issues related to SharePoint server farm Environment. – less
great place and people
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: n/a
prwt had contract with amex. they did all the bill for them. but the people were amazing. they all want to work the hardest they knew how. the location was clean and up to date with equipment so we can do our job.
Workplaces is in transition and the transition has not been thought out well.
Lead, Financial Business Analyst (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits, ability to move up
Cons: Overly complicated project delivery job roles, yearly performance reviews are continually performed using the bell curve forcing low ratings
Typical Day: My day was spent moving from one project meeting to another while still managing to perform all other project needs (Project documentation, managing as many as 3 BAs and 6 ITT resources.
What I learned: Project delivery was changing from waterfall to agile and I completed Agile and Scrum training.
Management: Management both on the business and technology sides have not bought into the new project delivery methodology and are not taking the training or buying into their required involvement.
Co-Workers: Very hard workers who are being overwhelmed with new job requirements as well as project load.
Hardest part of the job: Constant change that has not been carefully thought out.
Most enjoyable part of the job: The satisfaction of a job well done - successful projects that make a difference.
Very Productive and Fun place with Ping Pong and Foos Ball tables
IT Security Risk & Governance Analyst (Former Employee), St. Petersburg, FloridaAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Free Snack bins and Fruit to keep you going during the day
Cons: None
It is a great place to work. I enjoyed going to work everyday. Everyone works hard and is still very happy to be there. Everyone in leadership roles has an open door policy and always willing to talk and help out if available. Everyone knows everyone and if you did not know who the leadership was then you might not think that they are VPs and SVPs because they all dress down and work with everyone when necessary. Leadership is always trying to make the workplace as enjoyable as they can. There are quarterly Town Hall Meetings to let everyone know what is happening. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Tableau Developer
Tableau Developer (Former Employee), NY City, NYAugust 11, 2015
• Created report schedules on Tableau server. Created custom date time calculations and macros in the reports.
• Worked in developing strategy and technical specifications for implementing reporting portal/semantic layer in conjunction with data layer. Involved in creating dashboards and reports inTableau. Created report schedules on Tableauserver.
• Installed & Configured Tableau on Windows servers. Created access and permissions for users using report server and scheduled reports using snapshot and cache method.
• Excellent experience and expertise in creating Tableau Workbook's, Publishing workbooks and Dashboard.
• Efficient in finding ways to make graphs and tables visually exciting, and aesthetically pleasing, while at the same time maintaining the accuracy of the core information content that is being communicated.
• Developing, organizing, managing and maintaining graph, table, slide and document templates that will allow for efficient creation of reports.
• Proof-read all documents and maintain accuracy of information and preparing SOP.
• Responsible for Developing a Dashboard and preparing ad-Hock Reporting.
• Working knowledge on Tableau Server / Administration
fun place to work
Credit and Collection Specialist (Former Employee), Plantation, FLAugust 10, 2015
i did not realize how unrealistic my expectation were until i left the company. loved it there. definately take the chance if you can
fun workplace with the option to sale
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2015
Pros: bonus every month, culture
Cons: no dispute team, job security
a typical day at american express:

The atmosphere was very welcoming. the co workers and pretty much everyone that worked there was very friendly and outgoing. i learned how to manage, up sale, and work with small business owners on a day to day basis. i would take any where from 60 to 110 calls per day assisting small business owners in payments, online tech support, helping them do more business, solve their every day issues with the card, set up disputes. the hardest part of the job; Honestly, I love customer service helping people so my job was very easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the culture and helping the card members do more business with american express; such things like put them in a product or service that makes their life a lot easier. The management was very productive; I would have one on ones, listen to calls, gave very good verbiage advice and most of was taught how to emotionally connect with customers at first breath connection.
Break room, with TV's, air hockey, gym, video games
Fraud Business Analyst (Current Employee), PhoenixAugust 6, 2015
Support multiple functions across sites and a wide variety of real time management activities that include: statistical reporting, agent adherence/availability, service level action strategy, outbound campaign fulfillment, workforce staffing assessment, technical issues mitigations and reporting, large-scale project initiatives, and support of overall business strategy. The primary responsibility of the Operations Desk is to analyze contact center data and provide recommendations to ensure operational goals are met, and recommend/execute actions to mitigate probable servicing impacts.
Handle Subject Matter Expert for supporting operational processes which include: primary support of reporting initiatives and automation, Time and Labor payroll administration/reporting, mass scheduling, ID and systems access management, project management, business contingency model, space/asset management, and other tasks.
Potential
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 6, 2015
Amex provides great potential for the right person that is comfortable in a work at home environment. They compensate for their high expectations and look for the best of the best.
Driven, smart people - great culture
Vice President (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2015
Amex is a great place to work and I would highly recommend it. Employees must be able to collaborate well as that is a key piece of the culture.
......
Title - Platinum Travel Counselor (Current Employee), Atlanta,GAAugust 6, 2015
Bloomingdale's fostered an environment of extraordinary customer service,high level service and continued growth.....................................................
QA Test Lead
Test Lead (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 5, 2015
• Equipped with 8.5 Years of diversified experience in IT industry as a Test Lead.
• 5+ Years of strong Experience in Agile testing Methodology.
• Experience in Automation with QTP, Selenium tools.
• Knowledge of VB Scripting to design Automation Framework
• Strong Experience of commands in SQL to setup Test Data during execution
• Experience in Estimation, Proposal, test management, test case, strategy and Plan creation, and test execution, defect reporting and tracking.
• Experience in performing Functionality (White Box/Black Box testing), UI, Smoke, Sanity ,integration and Regression Testing.
• 6+ Strong Experience in Quality Center (Test management Tool) , ALM .
• Effective Co-ordination with respective stakeholders engaged during project implementation
• Preparation of Daily, Weekly status, Project Status and various other Reports to provide accurate status and progress during project.
• Test Lead with 8.5 years of experience to Work in a cutting edge Agile software development environment to ensure the quality of enterprise web solutions. Possess data & process analysis skills; known for excellent execution, stakeholder management, driving change management and focused approach.
• Quick learner with an ability to rapidly achieve organizational integration, assimilate job requirements and employ new ideas, concepts, methods and technologies.
Death March
Software Engineer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Onsite cafeteria, great staff, decent pay
Cons: limited advancement, out-dated technologies, management not open-minded, convoluted change management, difficult overhead
I was hired as a contract-to-hire, so right out of the gate, I had to perform in order to ensure my position. I was prepared to work extra hours, and go above and beyond to ensure my position; however, this was the norm. Hours were typically 9am to 7pm. This was strange for me because I am used to hours starting earlier. Our team was spread over different timezones, so I came in early enough to work effectively across timezones. I produced numerous advancements in our product; however, I my efforts were continually diminished by my manager. It was nearing the point where I was about to approach HR about it. His reasons were unfounded with absolutely no reason. Many times his reasons were, "I'm the manager and I can do/say what I want." The project manager and development manager were never on the same page. This caused priorities to shift often. The "business" group pretty much governs the direction technology goes in. My manager would make "knee jerk" decisions based on the sentiment of the business group. I got the feeling that this mysterious group was pretty much the deciding factor on success or failure at this company. Besides impacting the direction of people's careers, it also dictated technological advancements within the company. Often times, over more effective and efficient software development practices, lesser choices were made. This lead to much of the technologies within Amex to be antiquated at best. Also, I worked closely with RFCs as part of the change management process. RFCs are required for each change and can take hours/days to complete. For something as simple as a "one-line" configuration change can be more paperwork than admission into an accredited university. I realize that Amex is basically a bank, but I have compared against other financial institutions and I am unswayed in my opinion. I have also worked in government institutions, and I can say honestly, I have never seen a company so bent on its own failure.
Customers are very important and management very supportive.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga CA & West Valley UtahAugust 3, 2015
Very productive and fun work place with supportive and caring management. Always making sure the customer is well taking care of.
good place to work
Operations Analyst I (Current Employee), Whitsett, NCJuly 28, 2015
I was a Team manager with Startek. I was responsible for 25 to 30 agents. My coworkers were great. I an responsible for real-time performance.
Great introduction to sales
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Great environment
Cons: none
I called comptroller's and CFOs of mid size businesses around the Houston area in attempt to establish a line of credit through American Express. I learned many tactics that led to success in my endeavor.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior IT Risk & Info Security Engineer (Current Employee), PhoenixJuly 27, 2015
Experience new technology, however you can become bogged down with bureaucratic nonsense. Overall, I am glad I have an opportunity to work for a company like American Express.
Managing projects with a dynamic team while working independently
Project Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Completing a project from effective collaboration early and under budget
Cons: none
Your day goes by positively fast driving results with your project team. Meeting deadlines and milestones are a great feeling when you close out a project under budget and with success. Collaboration and determination in a fast paced environment is the only way to achieving synergy.
Not a good place to work
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Orlando/Tampa FloridaJuly 27, 2015
Pros: good insurance
Cons: No ONE EVER told YOU that YOU were doing a good job at all.
We had to work overtime and middle management to be is very homophobic. It was not a good place to work after a bit. They hire first level managers with NO TRAVEL Background and then they have a click. If they don't like YOU, YOU are gone even if you do get 14 letters of commendation from clients. I would NOT recommend anyone working here at all.
Would not recommend.
Travel Care Professional (Former Employee), Campbellsville, KyJuly 24, 2015
Pros: None.
Cons: HR hires anyone with a pulse, Manager is not qualified for the position by any means, For a family of 4 health insurance is $387 per pay period, The place is a revolving door of junkies and ex cons, pay stinks
The upper management is terrible. No one ever seems to know what's going on and they lie. The company will send emails about these wonderful incentives to make their workers work extra hard to receive and they do not follow through when the goal is accomplished. There is no balance between work and home. If a day off is needed well forget it. No in house staffing all staffing requests are done in some foreign country. Pay is terrible. We get screamed at on a daily basis from card members about things that are not in our control and smile. Give some sort of empathy statement and move on to the next one. Definitely do not get paid enough. Raises are a joke. After a year of employment I received a 5¢ raise. Company does not care about it's employees or customers.
Too many people strung out on drugs in the call center but management turns a blind eye. One worker with severe mood swings who has threatened to blow the place up and during his ranting and raving not one person said a word or had him removed from the building. Instead he kept his job and has at least 3 other episodes. (And this is while on the phone with customers)
Headquarters