American Express
1,417 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

Great company and reputed brand name
Program Manager (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 18, 2015
Nice company to work for. Not many opportunities for growth in Fort Lauderdale area. Parallel movement at director level restrict growth opportunities for individual contributors into director role. Flexible work culture. Frequent reorgs.People frequently concerned about job security.
Not committed to work life balance
Director (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: young high energetic work environment
Cons: not committed to work life balance
Organization talks a lot about work life balance but does not practice what the preach. While much of the organization preaches flexible work from home arrangements, not all parts of the organization subscribe to this philosophy. Many parts of the organization still adhere to the old school belief that you need to be seen by your boss to get credit for being at work. Environment is very competitive and results in impacts team approach to getting things done.
Organization is geared to the under 40 crowd, so if you are over 40 you need to watch out.
Busy Emergency Room
Customer Care Consultant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2015
Loved working in the emergency room. Helping patients, doctors and admitting the patients with insurance verification.
Good company to work for
Dispute Resolution Representative - (HVCM) (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJanuary 14, 2015
My experience at American Express was a positive one. The company offers a competitive compensation package. I learned a lot and truly enjoyed working there.
work life balance
Manager (Current Employee), New York NYJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: work life balance
Cons: benfits
I have worked at American Express for nearly 15 years holding various positions in the tax department. I enjoy working with my co-workers and over the years have enjoyed work life balance. In my current role I get to work with all aspects of tax.
fun place to work, great extras
Platinum Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 13, 2015
as expected, there were many extras to working as a travel consultant. Sadly though I never really had a chance to experience many of them. My scheduled hours were in the evening and I had to leave due to my husbands travel that required me to stay at home and care for our young children. Nobody was willing to assist me with acquiring a day shift so I could continue to work.
Best Place ever
Platinum Travel (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 12, 2015
If you can get on, stay there forever. I loved it and I plan on returning if I ever decide to move back to GA.
Director (Current Employee), Phoenix AZJanuary 10, 2015
Good culture, cross functional environment, global organization, respectful culture.
an 8 time JD Power Award winning organization, major emphasis on providing Extraordinary Customer Care
WS Issues Management Team Leader (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits and a favorable work/life balance environment
Cons: very few growth and develop opportunities due to off shoring of work
Typical day - each day is different, based on business needs, changing volumes & meeting Compliance deadlines
What I've learned - in my 19 year tenure, I've served in a number of challenging roles in 3 different depts: Customer Service Dispute Resolution, Premium (Platinum) Telephone Service Center and most recently, the Issues Management Manual Remediation (Compliance) Team
Management - highly skilled and tenured
My Co-workers - in all 3 areas that I've worked, I've been fortunate to work with very skilled, strong work ethic oriented and team oriented peers and direct reports
The hardest part of the job - nothing comes to mind - I greatly enjoy challenges, learning new skills and taking on special projects.
The most enjoyable part of the job - the satisfaction of working hard, hand in hand with strong team members and providing our Customers with outstanding service each and every day.
Best place for sales and advisory training
Senior Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Miami, FL.January 10, 2015
I developed my skills while at American Express in the Sales and Advisory fields.
learned to maintain high level of emotional competency.
Gave me the opportunity to build my name and practice in the insurance and investment community.
a great place to work.
Great company focused on the customer
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Taylorsville, UTJanuary 9, 2015
At American Express I answered an average of 60 calls per day by addressing customer inquiries, solving problems and providing new product information as well as providing an elevated customer experience to maintain a loyal customer base.

The people at American Express are great people who work hard to create and maintain a great relationship with their customers.

The hardest part of the job was working on charge cards because they have both pay in full charges as well as pay over time charges which can be very confusing sometimes.
I loved it!
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: company gifts, monthly bonuses, work from home
Cons: work from home can get boring
I worked from home. They provided me with equipment to do my job. They paid my cable and phone bill. They constantly engaged us. They sent us gifts weekly for being apart of the company. Overall its a great company.
Enjoying a career while building knowledge and lifelong friends
Global Distribution Project Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: flexible working environment, benefits
American Express offers flexible working options for multiple groups. The management has always been friendly, and interested in helping employees create their own career path. American Express is a wonderful company to work for. The hardest part of my job was finding the time to get involved in all the company has to offer. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to transfer within departments and growth opportunities.
Nice company to work for
Internal Phone Operations Intern, Special Project (Former Employee), salt lake city, utJanuary 7, 2015
They offered competitive pay, lots of benefits and most of all the ability to transfer to other departments with great ease.
American Express
Travel Agent (Former Employee), Phoenix AzJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: travel agent benifits
Cons: the field has declined due to ease of internet.
Working at American Express was a great experience. Very rewarding and exciting job. I was able to travel a little with co-workers and visit Hotel's and meet Representatives. They where like working with family in a professional work atmosphere. Booked reservation for Motorola Inc.
Productive and great work enviroment
Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: monthly massages and smoothies
Cons: insurance was a little high price
We use to have Monthly meetings in the atrium and You are able to wear team spirit cloths and cheer for your group. I learned to control my credit by working on other people credits.The hardest part was telling customer's they were not able to charge for certain items.
Good company with strong management
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 4, 2015
Gave me the ability to learn and explore opportunities both internal and external. Timing was just off for long term future with the organization.
Political, "click" within management, management pretends to make changes and nothing ever changes
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: lots of free food- that is why most are over weight!
Cons: benefits have a very large deductible, have to move up in the company unless you "know" somebody
It doesn't matter what your background is or if you have a degree, what matters is if management "likes" you if you can move up in the company or not. Don't get on your supervisors bad side or they will find a way to terminate you!!!! I seen it over and over again. Leaders play favorites. The job itself is good but little consistency with leadership and procedures and you have little ability to really help customers. Most jobs are being outsourced to India and you never know if yours will be next!
Customer Care
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee), Jacksonville, NCDecember 31, 2014
American Express was a great company to work for. I like that they strive to only hire the best and that if you believe in yourself and that you are capable, they are willing to give you the opportunity. American Express was a call center environment, everybody had their own little stations. I liked that supervisors were always available when you needed them. I like that they give you feedback on your work performance and how you can improve or do better. Team members were always helpful even the members in different departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning the job and what you were expected to do. The hardest part about the job was not being able to respond to the customer face to face. You kind of miss that type of interaction in work environments like this. I have learned to have a greater respect for anyone who works as a customer care representative in a call center environment-it's not always easy to remain calm and let someone yell and scream at you because they were dissatisfied with services provided. One of the special qualities that customer care representatives possess is that of patience.
work hours flexibility
Data Entry Assistant/ Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTDecember 31, 2014
Pros: work flexibity
Cons: low salary
Excellent Employer/ work hours flexibity/ very diversified

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos