American Express Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,845 reviews matching the search
Great Company
Dual Wallet/OPEN – Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 23, 2016
Receive 100+ calls daily. You learn a lot about Credit Cards and Charge Cards. Hardest part of the job is pleasing every customer you speak with. Great work environment.
Pros
benefits and employee perks
Cons
Breaks
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2016
Very great company to work for they offer great benefits to all employees. Management is great and understanding. The people I work with are great.
It was a great place to work
Director Release Engineering and Automation (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 10, 2016
with the recent reduction in force, the atmosphere has changed. It used to be an exciting place for new tech and innovative thought.
Pros
close to downtown resturants, people are exceptional!
Cons
health benefits werent the greatest, large recent layoffs
Review
Quality Case Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2016
Work environment is okay. Great colleagues. The company provides great benefits and tries to accommodate work life balance by providing onsite daycare
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
hard to get promotion
Great benefits, Treat employees well
Merchant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 17, 2016
American Express treats employees very well, great benefits, building team morale. They tried to keep employees happy. They gave out awards and recognition, gift cards and there was room for advancement.
Cons
Call Center Environment
Great place to work but so stressfull
Digital and Online Commerce Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mexico, MODecember 1, 2015
You can set your own schedule, and also have two home office days at week.
You have your own place and all your technological needs covered.
Now we're lower of staff and we have to do a lot of positions jobs at the same time, they only think in the money and not any more in the client.
The employees are not recognized for their achievements.
Pros
Great compensations, great job culture
Cons
So much work with out hands
Fast paced, challenging workplace with terrific people.
Director, Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my career at American Express. I learned something new in every position I held. A typical day at work was project check-ins and issue and risk mitigation. Managing over 500 project per year made for full days.While it was often challenging, the people made the work fun and delivery was always accomplished on time and with high quality.
Pros
Exciting, fast paced, learning environment
Cons
Poor work life balance, continually shrinking benefits
fun workplace
relay operator (Former Employee) –  phoenixSeptember 20, 2015
After 16 years the company in a whole was going through alot of changes that effected the organization and its employees. It became a very stressful environment and there was no room for advancement. Hired unskilled management and taught them management skills but not how to do employee job. How can you give feedback to an employee if you dont know how to do there job. When i gave two week notice management became intolerable of differences and was placed on a no rehire status. It was an awesome place to work and i made a lot of friends wishing them the best of luck.
benefits
Cons
inconsistency
Productive and Fun
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 8, 2016
Challenging and Creative work with most of the contacting customers for new technology and educate them in using benefits and saving realization.
Amex Work Life Balance
Sr. Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2016
American Express is a great place to work. The work life balance is great. The people working at Amex are mostly not from America.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Compensation

Want to know more about American Express?

Ask a question
American Express Establishment Services became my second family. I appreciated the Blue Box values including diversity and integrity.
SR. MANAGER, REGIONAL MARKETING-SOUTHERN REGION (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
I came to know the Southern Region Sales and Marketing team as their account executive while employed with Ogilvy and Mather Advertising. After achieving award winning campaign successes, I went to work for American Express as a Regional Marketing Manager. My role in Atlanta included acting as liaison with regional sales as I worked with my marketing team on both regional and national advertising programs. I started the company for the sole reason of working on the 1996 Olympic sponsorships. From there, my career with American Express flourished. I absolutely adore the people I worked for and worked with to this day.
Great place to work at that time
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 22, 2015
I Was moved to different departments as needed over the period of time I was there. My favorites included working in brokered insurance as an inbound rep for different brokers. I was able to establish a data base but also had to learn the different standards for each state. I had a fantastic supervisor who was there to help as needed. Since I was at a number of different assignments the other assignment was in the legal department where I had to review different material relevant to litigation with IDS policy holders. It was both challenging and rewarding. I also had another employee who I mentored me. Amex was in many ways ahead of its time with benefits for cohabited couples and GLBT including separate group meetings. They cared at that time

The new management came in during my stay which caused some changes - many not to the better of many of the employees.

My review is prior to the management change.
Pros
Great rapport, change of assignments that helped learn more, Fantastic support.
Cons
Change of upper management, A few assignments that were less than ideal.
Productivity effected so many people in the world
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZSeptember 15, 2015
There is no such thing as "a typical day" because business changes frequently and you need to be able to handle the pressure. You are challenged to come up with new ideas and see them through. Co-workers are knowledgeable and always willing to help with any questions you have.

Employees are team players who can work with people at all levels.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being recognized by management that you have done a good job.
Pros
great facility location with many benefits; work on your own time schedule
Good place to work, always opportunities for advancements
Sr. Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 9, 2016
American Express has been very good to me and has treated me very well through all 16 of my years there. I have been given several opportunities for advancement and have been promoted several times.
Real sorry it had to end; unfortunately due to several reorganizations my whole department was eliminated making us all displaced.
Pros
Good people, good opportunities to grow your knowledge base for advancement.
Cons
American Express struggles with a good work life balance it is something they continue to work on.
Travel Consultant
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orange County CaliforniaSeptember 15, 2015
I worked for American Express Travel in Anaheim, Irvine, Santa Ana, El Segundo, Culver City, Phoenix, Tampa and floater for the greater LA and Orange County area for almost 15 years it was the best company to work for. I enjoyed every minute of it. I would love to work there again. Benefits were wonderful, travel was wonderful, people were wonderful. I miss it very much.

I worked for many corporations, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, Blue Cross just to name a few. I booked travel for corporate clients including air, car, hotel, limo. I learned to work on many systems. We were sent in for training. My co-workers were helpful if I needed assistance. The hardest part of the job was during periods of storms and airlines could not fly and we had to work with the travelers to give them either accommodations or other airlines. The most enjoyable part of the job was a happy and satisfied customer when we were able to help him during these periods of time.
Pros
Best company, best benefits
Cons
monitoring
Great Career growth opportunity, very supoprtive learning envirnoment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation FloridaOctober 20, 2015
Very high employee satisfaction, great opportunity to grow within the company. State of the art learning opportunities, fantastic benefits,
One of the best places to work
Pros
Career Growth, fantastic benefits, competitive compensation
Cons
micro management
Great benefits, horrible job if it customer service.
Platinum Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 4, 2015
WARNING If you have never worked at a call center before this is a very tough job. Card members can be absolutely rude and disrespectful. It is highly stressful if you are not use to call center type of work. I wish I would have been able to have dealt with it because the benefits are great and the pay is not bad either.
Pros
Benefits such as 1.5 month of PTO
Cons
Customers
Okay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 19, 2015
Company has great benefits, and a good balance between work and life. only problem is that management has a tough time reaching their clients expectations because of their non reality high demands on their employees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
too much micromanaging
Wonderful company to work for
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 2, 2016
Positive work environment, I learned important skill sets which made the job enjoyable and the benefits are amazing. I highly recommend working for American Express.
N/a
Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2015
Ok place to work, very flexible schedules for vacation. Good opportunities for advancement but not to many incentives available.
Pros
Benefits and vacation schedule
Cons
Constant displacement and turnover

4.2