American Express
1,697 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Good people to work with.
Sr. Business Analyst (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTJune 16, 2015
Pros: Opportunities to expand your horizons.
Cons: Too much in-fighting in the dept.
The company is very interested in each employee expanding their knowledge and abilities, which is good because there are frequent layoffs, and employees may need to hop to other roles in order to stay with the company.
Love
Project Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 15, 2015
Great company to work for. I enjoy the culture, the opportunity for growth. The location by the water is perfect! The flexible work arrangements. The people are great!!!
Very fun place to work
CCP of Business (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 12, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, time off
American Express shows it employees daily that they are appreciated. American Express is a great place to work. They have fantastic benefits and great time off
Opportunities to completely serve your client without having to send them to other departments. Observing your team progressing in their careers.
Top Business Account Specialist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 11, 2015
Pros: Being acknowledged for your successes.
Cons: Having to cut a call short before solving issues based on handling time.
American Express provides a very busy work environment. Your days are filled with back to back client calls. Solving problems on small business and personal accounts in the same call could be challenging based on the call handling time required versus the time the clients required. Business clients in particular are already working on a packed schedule. As a representative of the "brand", I preferred calling them back at a specific time with their permission or leaving a message on their voicemail concerning the outcome of my research. Most calls did not require a callback. My co-workers were always excellent working as a team backing one another up with questions and answers on instant messenger. The hardest part of the job was being patient with an irate client by letting that client vent briefly then taking control of the call respectfully. The clients were also the most enjoyable part of the job. Solving their account issues while building a rapport was very satisfying.
Productive and Fun
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTJune 11, 2015
Pros: Own laptop, own schedule of breaks and lunches
Cons: Not enough company parties or meet and greets of management or business associates
No job security. Advancement opportunities are slim/low. Good atmosphere. Cafeteria and Fitness center with game room.
American Express has automated much of the workload that previously required staffing.
Business Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJJune 11, 2015
Pros: Regular business hours.
Cons: Office has had a reduction in force.
American Express Travel has downsized the Piscataway office to a fraction of the previous staffing. Current staffing is up to nine people from several hundred employees.
American Express is an awesome company to work for.
Onsite Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Sparks, MDJune 10, 2015
Pros: Working on-site with Corporate Clients
Cons: Went to an on-line booking tool, but I understand why
I worked for American Express for almost 10 years and enjoyed it very much. They are such a great company. They persevered after 9/11 and the internet boom. They acquired companies and grew. They are an example of what a company should do, in hard times.
Good company (but don't get stuck with a bad boss)
Manager Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 10, 2015
great company to work for, but don't get stuck with a bad boss...

Benefits are not the best and pay might be good or bad depending on your time with the company
Good company with lots of opportunities
Manager-Rules Dev & Sys Infrastructure (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJune 9, 2015
Cons: Seems like their are lay-offs every year
Overall this was a great place to work, that allowed me to grow and develop. They have pretty good benefits but seem to be lacking behind some other companies out there.
Not just a work place but became home
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2015
Pros: people enviorment
American express helped me grow personally with the environment and professionally. The people once you have been there for a while are your family and they help develop you and see aspects of you that you never see and blossom you into a performer that you never believed before.
Lovely Place to work and grow your leadership
Manager, Account Development (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2015
I've learned and grown into a exceptional Leader working here at American Express. I have been fortunate enough to develop into a successful leader over the years, where my brand is respected and valued!
Summary
Service Member Civil Relief Act-Case Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 7, 2015
Great name and brand but not much room for growth and salary is low. Customer service is stressful but can make a lot of money. Company has changed over the last few years.
I was in the wrong place
Vice President Controller Operations & Six Sigma (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 6, 2015
Pros: My co-workers
Cons: My manager
My experience was a poor one that was 100% because of my manager...he has long since left the company.

I was not there long enough to say anything more
American Express
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 6, 2015
Working American Express has showed me how to use computers and show me how handle business with people credit cards. Typical day at American Express was basically sitting at your office answering phones and emails. Making excel spreadsheets for your manager and making appoinments. Management was really on top of you, they would check up on you from time to time but most of the time management would be working from home when you in the office. Co-workers would not bother you unless they needed help with an excel speadsheet. The hardest job in American Express was not being to do alot of things. You would always have to sit at your desk and just look at a computer for about 8 hours staright. The best part about working with american express is that the enviorment was actually very welcoming.
Great place to work excellent co-workers
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Nice people
Cons: didn't always have access to the tools I needed
Enjoyed going to work
I learned a lot about different software.
Management cared about the worker
Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with
When I had to tell a user that their hard drive had crashed and they lost all there data
Working with the user, I met a lot of interesting people
I loved it
APS/Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 2, 2015
I loved working for Amex. great people and a great company. although there were many constant changes it was always an adaptable work place.
Good place to work and have a career
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
In IT project management, it is a fast-paced environment where the days fly by. Company moving to an Agile environment in IT.
Great place to work with room for advancement.
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2015
Pros: paid education, on site cafeteria
I have been at American Express for nine years. It is a great place to network and create your own career pathing ranging from customer service to technology and so many opportunities in between.
Good and healthy team
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 31, 2015
Good working culture and atmosphere.

Good team.

Understanding service objectives and capturing business requirements through active listening & questioning
techniques.
Keeping abreast of new legislation, company strategy and policy and being able to identify its impact on ICT
projects.
Able to prepare written proposals, requirements specifications, invitations to tender and solution specifications.
Able to Identify business & systems process improvements from Big Picture to detail level.
Excellent communication skills to manage and liaise with business and technical consultants to explore
BUSINESS PROCESS improvement opportunities
Project Management
Project Manager/System Analyst (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2015
Pros: Exposed to Corporate environment
Cons: Constant change within my management team leaders
This was an exciting job, always something new to do and learn.
The people had such diversity and the environment was always growing. I learned many life lessons and made great friendships.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries