American Express Employee Reviews

Found 2,079 reviews matching the search
Work life balance
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2017
work life balance is totally amazing! Culture is definitely welcoming and management keeps you informed on important issues
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Entry level pay
Company is Outsourcing Employment Overseas
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 30, 2016
This strong US financial company is outsourcing jobs to India for customer servicing despite card member complaints. With the recent co-brand partner dissolutions with Jet Blue and Costco, American Express recently displaced nearly 220 customer service professionals from their Salt Lake City facility, with an offer to retain approximately 80 - 100 home based servicing positions only.

It's a shame, as the jobs are needed to support our American workers, not to mention the US economy. In 2011 AMEX displaced nearly 300 New Account specialists from the SLC facility. In 2015 nearly 100 of their Fraud specialists were also displaced.
Pros
Excellent base salaries, health and vacation benefits, and excellent bonus structure.
Cons
Job security has recently become a concern due to company outsourcing of jobs.
Strong culture
Director - Corporate Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Strong culture, great place to train and advance your career if you put the effort into it.
Management is great. Co-workers are team oriented and very bright.
Good people to work with... but....
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 9, 2017
In my opinion the company as a whole is not what it was 10 years ago. They have good benefits and give a great amount of time off up front so people can have a chance at a work life balance. But in my opinion the company seems to be focusing on the shareholders rather than the employees.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Jobs are moving out of country
Hard company to work for
Director, Employee Recognition and Rewards (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2016
American Express had its pros and cons like any other company. Years ago when i worked for them, the culture was that if you did not have a college degree, you were considered 'nothing' and a 'non-professional'. The upper management was terrible in that they were rude and demanding.
Pros
People in general were nice.
Cons
Culture was terrible and higher management was worse.
The Best Place to work very diverse
Customer focused sales team leader (Former Employee) –  7701 Airport Center Drive Greensboro NCJanuary 25, 2017
As a manager/supervisor for 20 plus years at American Express I had the opportunity to work in a very robust atmosphere, managed 15-20 associates at any given time, trained/ new hires, and track attendance. I had a wealth of diversity training over the years as well as Situational Leadership Training, I also became a licensed Insurance for Life agent because of my sales background.

The culture was very diverse and we all got alone well and we always supported one another. The employee satisfaction was great, they cared what we thought and they listened as a company.

The hardest part of the job was when we would lose a peer because we were close.
Pros
Great rewards and pay
Cons
When the building closed
Good work culture; Solid emplyee base/good leadership
QA Analyst/Test Manager (Former Employee) –  DePereDecember 14, 2016
My only real beef with AmEx as an employer, which I consider a big one, is that over the past several years they have done employee reductions a few different times. This makes for a very stressful environment when every couple of years you don't know if you will have a job or not. It always comes down to the bottom line and keeping the shareholders happy because if the company isn't making that extra $100M then the only way to make that up is to lay people off. Three times I was a victim of layoffs, twice being rehired after some time of being unemployed. My hope this time is to land with a smaller, established, local company that will allow me to grow and have a higher sense of job security.
Considers Life.Work Balance - Invests in their employees
Accountant I - Global Record to Report (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2017
This Company provides a work life balance. They invest in their employees offering numerous ways to learn. Encourages employee to take advantage of all benefits offered.
interesting work,good security
Corporate Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 29, 2016
Phpne center work dealing with customers and Amex sales people, fast paced with frequently changing rules and priorities. Management was goo and attentive, constatnt monitoring good critiques.Excellent facilities.
Pros
Good security pay and benefits
Cons
large corporation, not personel
12 years loved forst 9
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 30, 2016
I worked in a center 9 years before transfering to Home Based Servicing. Working from.home sounds great... but its very lonely. Once you are at home their is very little opportunity for advancement and you are just stuck taking calls day after day with no end. It wears you down fast. I did enjoy that ability to drop and pick up hours easily with colleges. This made it simple to adjust my schedule with out using PD time. American Express is a great company but home based servicing was just not for me.
Pros
Flexible hours great benifits
Cons
Little room for advancement

Want to know more about American Express?

Ask a question
good
Customer Service/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Linton, NDJanuary 13, 2017
Although I only worked for American Express for 2 years I enjoyed the work I did. The hardest part of the job was having 2 co-workers that did not carry their weight so more work fell on me. The hardest thing for me was even though they tracked the percentage of work each person in the department did, we all got the same raise.
Great Company to work for.
Executive Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85029January 19, 2017
Great corporate culture, flexibility and benefits. I've worked for American Express on and off for over fifteen years. Would go back if given the opportunity.
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
High Stress/Sales Demand
Fast paced great work environment
Customer Engaged Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84184November 30, 2016
American Express is a great place to get your foot in the door if you're interested in banking. It's fast paced which means things are always changing and you end up learning something new almost everyday.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Job security
Great place to work with proper structure
Training and Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work following a structured environment. The company believed in their mission and vision and give their employees hope for advancement and security.
Pros
Job security and proper compensation
Cons
customers are really demanding
Good company that tries to make it fun to come to work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 21, 2016
fun place to work and good company that tries to do what is right for the employees by offering holiday incentives, career development classes and being involved in the community
Pros
Benefits and developments opportunities
Good Company that Moves Too Slow
Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2016
Amex is a great company overall with nice people, but has become too slow and is unable to move quickly enough to be competitive. Advancing in the company is difficult as greater value is place on planning events then actually deliver results.
Pros
Good Work/Life Balance
Cons
Limited Opportunity for Growth
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 18, 2016
This is a great company to work for, where you can learn a lot of new skills with a good work-life balance.
The benefits are good, but the salary is less than the market average
Pros
Overall Benefits
Cons
Constant Re-engineering activities giving a lot of stress to the employees
It was time to move on
Account Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 21, 2016
I worked here for several years and there just didn't seem to be much room for advancement. Many times they hired from outside of the company instead of promoting internal employees.
Pros
decent hourly wage, great PTO pool
Cons
benefits are terrible and expensive
started out as a great job, company not what it used to be
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 30, 2016
I was really excited to start working there. they had great pay with many perks. after being there for a little over a year things turned for the worst. they changed their short term disability company and made some less desirable company changes. I mostly had decent managers and they do have decent training. it is corporate level who have lost the feel for the people working at the lower levels and not realizing how important they are. And then the losing of the Costco partnership really hurt the company as a whole.
Pros
good pay
Cons
company ceo doesn't realize the importance of lower level employees
Great place to work, many changes as time progressed.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 29, 2017
Each day the travelers cheques came in and all balancing, filing, photocopying was processed. It was a paper environment.
As time progressed the paper environment turned to computer submissions more and more.
Management was great.
Going with the flow and learning new and modern processes was awesome and uplifting!!
The hardest part seemed to be the new processes at first, then it just all fell into place - looking back - how far modern technology had come!!
Most enjoyable was seeing the transition.
Pros
Really pushed to honor employees!
Cons
Transitioning from paper to modern technology

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2