American Express
1,635 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Fun environment but strict procedures
Fraud Protection Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2015
Back to back phone calls. Open chats to allow communication between co workers and with management. Continuous updates; hard and soft copies. It was a fun work environment. The company did a lot for employee moral.
Exciting field to learn and grown
Senior Director of Supplier Enablement US/Canada (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAApril 28, 2015
Pros: Great company culture
Cons: 1
There are many opportunities in this field and especially in the Atlanta area. The payment/credit card processing field has plentiful opportunities for advancement given the right company.
productive
SharePoint Developer/Admin (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
Good place to learn
friendly management,
challenging job,
good perks,helping to co-workers,
The most enjoyble part of the job
American Express is an outstanding compay.
Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 26, 2015
Pros: It was possible to advance with American Express.
Cons: Sometimes it was difficult to maintain a work/home balance.
I managed the day-to-day operations of a corporate travel office.

Clients called our office to place reservations for air, car, and hotel.

I was responsible for the ensuring that we provided extraordinary customer service and maintained all clients, which we did.

The hiring and developing of employees was crucial to meeting our objectives.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we were doing exactly what our clients expected of us and that I had very satisfied employees.
IT Department Still needs a lot of work
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Fort LauderdaleApril 25, 2015
Pros: Work Life
Cons: Too many to list. Mainly incompetent management.
Massive transformation going on in IT, but still needs a lot of direction and focus. Much of the management is completely out of touch and only know how to direct traffic not really concerned about the direction of the platform they support. Risk averse in a big way to a ridiculous extent. Heavy into presentations and pretty presentations, very soft on results. Everything that is a failure is rebranded a splendid success. Too many holdouts for change and still much dependent on contractors. More than 90% of the IT in this building is taken up with young Indians straight off their last assignment somewhere else.
Great Place to Work
Account Protection (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2015
Great place to work, great people, and great atmosphere. Typical day at work would be on the phones receiving inbound calls.
Excellent company with an abundant number of benefits
HR/Payroll Analyst (Former Employee), Miramar, FLApril 23, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: poor management
Never a typical day at work; I learned not to trust people; poor management; great coworkers; hardest part of the job was having a supervisor who had no idea what my job entailed, and who did not support me; the most enjoyable part of the job was working for such a well respected company.
Great place to work depends on department you go to
Lead Project Manager (Former Employee), 56 and the Dunlap loacation tooApril 23, 2015
Pros: great benefits, need bettter management
Cons: pay a little better, stay out of gossip more
I can't think of anything bad about AMEX. I had a lot of great, challenging assignments there. They treat everyone very well.
Good Corporate Culture
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits, savings plans, Medical and Dental
Cons: Credit Card companies are under alot of competitive stress
Amex was a growth opportunity in my career change from insurance to travel industry. I enjoy working with the cardmembers the most. I disagree about the management use of survey systems but I realize that is a part of the customer service world.
Customer oriented organization
Lead Financial Officer - Global Network Services (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 22, 2015
- Challenging, growth oriented environment offering good professional and personal development opportunities

- Customer oriented with global operations

- Focused on beating the competition
Middleware Administrator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 21, 2015
Pros: Learning
Cons: Short breaks
Worked for some critical projects under Amex as a Middle ware Admin and Websphere Administrator . They use all the leading technologies
Establishment Services Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 20, 2015
Work day was filled with different and challenging tasks

learned not to be afraid to ask for assistance when you run into a road block

management was quick to step in and assist when needed, always
made sure you knew the resolution of the issue/conflict
Very flexible and employee-oriented culture
Director (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 20, 2015
Great company for working parents. Lots of flexibility - work from home widely accepted; generous maternity leave policy; paid time off and sick days.

Corporate advancement is limited for most employees, in light of company's financial struggles and widespread favoritism. Little to no meritocracy - leadership promotes those who have 'advocates,' no longer tied to personal contributions or performance.
Overview
Senior Financial Analyst, Global Business Travel (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 18, 2015
Pros: Structure, Size
Cons: Advancement, Merit Increases
-Great Coworkers and environment

-Poor Technology
-Merit Increases
Outside Consultant
CONSULTANT (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 17, 2015
Pros: Good attendance
Cons: none
Instructed them in the use of Excel version 1. There's not really much to tell. It was the start of the evolution of business practices and very innovative companies were then hiring us to guide them trough the maze of new software products.
Productive and fun work place
Sr. Data Analyst - Risk R&D Capabilities (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 15, 2015
I have experience working with SQL, Hadoop, Hive. I have experience in Financial Module. Am looking for Data Analyst position and at the same time as Business Analyst kind of role is also fine for me.
Great Company to work for
Collections Specialist (Current Employee), Plantation, FLApril 15, 2015
American Express is an awesome company with great benefits. Extremely competitive environment both between sites and amongst each other in the same department. Benefits are awesome.
Great Place to work
IMPLENTATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Mount Laurel, NJApril 11, 2015
Pros: Career Advancement Training
American Express is a very professional company that encourages their employees to grow. They also support a healthy work/life balance.
Great place to work overall. People are great and so are benefits and brand
Engagement/Leadership/Development (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 10, 2015
Pros: great benefits for all employees and acitivities
Cons: very sort breaks for line employees and little time for training and coaching
I came to American Express with a great deal of Expertise and Education. I brought the "consultant " concept to the HR Dept. and was instrumental in implementing the client consultant process.

Typical days at work included, working with clients on the proposed and approved interventions, training and coaching designing and working with clients on programs to be delivered, and delivery of these programs.

I learned to work with all levels of management and working in matrix environment.

I had amazing coworkers and we shared knowledge and skills with each other with great team work.

The hardest part of the job, was the amount of change that transpired that at times made it extremely difficult to do our jobs. Change is a part of life but too much created a great deal of stress for our clients. I was very adaptable to the changes and helped many through them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing that I indeed had made an impact on so many people. When they would come to me and tell me what they did or accomplished or decided to go back to school or got promoted, due to something they learned from me it was very impactful and rewarding for me to have touched so many lives.
Great Place to work as it pertains to work/Life Balance. Great Company for working parents
Executive Assistant I (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 10, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in work schedule
Cons: Salary could be a little more competitive!
The company is great for providing it's employees with ample training, networking events and work/life balance.

A regular day for me consist of networking with both enternal and external clients. Scheduling meetings and coordinating all meeting logistics. Answering phones with heavy call volume and directing inquires to proper departments. Proactively reviewing calendars and resolving scheduling conflicts in a timely manner.

For the most part leadership is very forward thinking in their approach of obtaining new talent.

Hardest part of my day is the commute and the most enjoyable part of my day is being an intergrual part of my team and helping them succeed.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries