American Express
1,335 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

Lead Sales Representative and Training Mentor (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 8, 2014
Great work environment! Many opportunities to grow and develop.
Productive and fast paced
Service Rep (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 8, 2014
Pros: coffee, coworkers
Cons: understaffed, sometimes undertrained
I worked in the prepaid resolutions department where we handled prepaid gift cards. I would be assigned to take calls about new inquires to set up investigations from either a merchant or a consumer and to provide case numbers. I would also be assigned to resolve the cases by determining if the cards were properly funded or to notify the client to send – more... in additional paperwork by fax. I enjoyed the people on my team, they were very supportive and had a great work system to keep you busy and learning new processes. The management was great, our supervisor rotated each person on different assignments so we shared an equal work load. I also enjoyed the break room, they had the best coffee machine. – less
Great place to work at
Credit Analyst (Current Employee), Plantation, FLOctober 5, 2014
Pros: vacation and sick time.
Cons: dealing with individuals day in and day out.
a typical day at work: come in at 8am and leave at 630pm Monday thru Tuesday. Worked with customers(consumer) regarding extension of credit on charge cards and collections of monies due on same. Management easy to work with. Co-workers (excellent atmosphere). The hardest part of the job is saying no to customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is – more... when a customer gets off the phone completely satisfied with the work I did. – less
Excellent Work Culture
SharePoint Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2014
Company provides excellent work cultures , so i am able to maintain job work/life balance.Company Provides lots of benefits.
Highly collaborative, supportive and innovative company
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 3, 2014
Pros: excellent environment and management
Cons: can get lost within the mix rather easily due to the size of the company.
This company has excellent training and processes and is truly one of the better run companies in the country. An excellent place to learn how to conduct business in a financial environment the correct way. From customer service to product and technological innovation, American Express is a leader in the banking industry.
Project Manager Global Business Transformation (Former Employee), New YorkOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great leadership and work place
Great leadership and work place. A very challenging yet enriching job profile.
benefits were great
Customer Care Professional - Credit Analysts (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2014
had great benefits, great location, didn't really like the job function which was collections
Excellent Company to Work For
Business Continuity Planning Lead (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: i was able to work virtually and enjoyed the travel
Strong company to work for. I definitely learned a lot about business both what to do and what not to do.
Great Company
Home Based Servicing - Customer Care (Former Employee), Home-BasedSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: benefits, technology, & supportive team environment
Cons: minimal training
As a home-based CCA you will be required to attend a minimum of 5-weeks of call center training. However, there is no "hands-on" classes. You are expected to learn at a fast-pace with the ability to use your own learning through tools provided during the training.

With all that said, this means that you will not learn on a "dummy" system. You are given – more... the tools to learn, but not the opportunity to "play" with the knowledge.

The plus side:
Great support systems within
Ability to work alone
Benefits
Ability to advance within the company – less
Was Once a Great Company to Work For
Risk Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: talented co-workers, salaries, work life balance
Cons: seeing talented people laid off, high cost of health care, and management that thinks they are above all others below them.
I worked 20+ years at American Express and loved my job accept the last few years as it is now all about surviving lay offs over and over again. Finally, I was laid off but did get a great severance package. Management is now about doing whatever they can to save their own job and may throw you under the bus if necessary. The hardest part of the job – more... is senior level management believing they are above anyone else and the increasingly super high cost of benefits. The salaries are great but check out the cost of benefits that can take a bite out of your salary. Again, for the most part I loved my tenure at American Express and if offered the right position reporting to a good manager I would love to go back as the people you work with are amazing. – less
Stressfull, but ok
Travel Counselor (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2014
My co-workers are great, but ever since the company went virtual, they have changed everything
Loved working for American Express
Various Positions (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2014
Loved working for this company. Began my career in 1981 in Plantation, FL. Worked in Computer Operations and was transferred to Phoenix, AZ when Computer Operations were consolidated into the facility in Phoenix. Worked in Computer Operations in various positions until I retired in June, 2003. My position was eliminated and I received a severance package.
Coaching and developing a team to drive results in the accounts they manage.
Director, Account Development (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: x
Cons: x
Great opportunity to manage good people and represent one of the most respected brands in the world.
A great place to grow and learn
Sales Manager / Financial Planner - Michigan (Former Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: cultivating leadership
Cons: many, many hours
A great culture, the day I chose to leave was one of the hardest days in my career.
Exciting
International Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2014
Travel is a passion.
I really enjoyed travel. I enjoyed booking and learning new destinations.
Stable company that I've worked for for almost 20 years
Instructional Designer, May (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: just sold 50% of my department to another company
I started with the company as a travel consultant, then moved to a Training Specialist and now have been doing Instructional Design work.
Solid and employee oriented environment.
SENIOR MANAGER, CARD BONUSING GOVERNANCE (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 16, 2014
Great organization to work for, positive environment and team oriented. Very meeting focused. Some systems are outdated but there is work being done to make them more integrated and streamlined. Fairly aggressive about movement of staff into other positions.
Financial planning company giving support in a positive team culture.
Financial Advisor/New Advisor Leader (Former Employee), Lexington, KYSeptember 16, 2014
Worked with individuals and business in financial planning and analysis, as well as investment advisory work. Designed and implemented marketing programs for client acquisition and customer service management. Project management. Managed and mentored new advisors. Designed and taught classes for financial analysis and client marketing.
Great Training
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: training is thorough and in depth
Cons: schedule - it is a call center so not much room for flexibility
I have had the opportunity to work for American Express on two occasions. Both offered complete training and a culture of success. There goal was to help you succeed in all aspects with American Express. They were committed to your well being..
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Plantation, FLSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: cafeteria, health care benefits, exercise classes
Cons: short breaks
Excellent company to work for with the job training and knowldege provided. Customer Service is top of the line.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos