American Express
1,571 reviews

American Express United States Employee Reviews

Great company
Regional Manager, Business Development (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 23, 2015
Super place to work and am exposed to great people with excellent training & support. Set appts with key decision makers. Superior brand recognition.
Great benefits and pleasant environment
Retired (Former Employee), Plantation, FLMarch 21, 2015
It was a pleasant working environment. Met people who will remain friends for the rest of my life. None of my experience with this company applies to my desire to work with wild animals.
Good company to work for.
FRAUD ANALYST (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 18, 2015
Pros: salary compensation
Company has a lot of benefits for it's employees. There is a great Cafe on site with reasonable prices, there is also a on site health clinic as well.
Excellent organization with great opportunities to grow and travel.
Support Travel Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2015
Support the travel agents and the most enjoyable part of the job was to service my clients to the best of my ability. Management valued my skills and rewarded me accordingly.
okay company
customer service (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 17, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: pay
okay company,great location the pay is not so good. I would have love to move up in the company but there was no place for growth.
Very successful company to work for, great Co-workers and Management
Data Entry/Embosser (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 16, 2015
Business is usually busy during the morning shift and slows down for the afternoon/evening shift. I learn how to work with all different kinds of personalities from all over. I learn what to do when there is an issue trying to find a customer in the system. There really isn't any hard part about this job, it's pretty laid back and easy. I mostly enjoy getting to meet new customers from all over the word.
Ups and downs
Account Protection Specialist (Former Employee), PhooenixMarch 12, 2015
Pros: fun, starbucks in the cafe!
Cons: outsourcing
I loved the people that I worked with, but hardest part of the job was the constant change, not always good. Jobs going back and forth to India was probably the most challenging, but there were always other job opportunities.
Ups and downs
Account Protection Specialist (Former Employee), PhooenixMarch 12, 2015
Pros: fun, starbucks in the cafe!
Cons: outsourcing
Great pay and benefits
Manager Assistant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix AzMarch 11, 2015
Pros: Benefits and People
Cons: Work life balance and security
Project Manager for large scale projects. I enjoyed the culture and people at American Express. I wish American Express offered more job security to its long standing employees. The hiring process at a American Express is very slow and not favorable for displaced employees.
Great place to work.
Corporate Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Tempe, AZMarch 11, 2015
Benefit package was great. The company is focused on customer service and keeping up with technology so skills stay fresh.
American Express Travel Agent
Navigation Agent (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 11, 2015
• Reset Customer’s Password.
• Resolved customer complaints and requests for refunds, exchanges and adjustments
• Answered questions regarding status of customer account.
• Assist customers on how to navigate through there company online booking tool.
• Assist customers with booking online plane tickets, rental cars and hotels
Great
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJMarch 9, 2015
job culture and management. job security and advancement, compensation and benefit, job and work life balance. a great place to work and grow career.
Risk Management Analyst
Risk Management Analyst (Former Employee), PhoenixMarch 9, 2015
Pros: Great People to work with
Cons: annual layoffs
Spent many years at American Express, however the annual ' layoff' procedure got old. Great products, great people, however the layoffs every year made the employees skittish.
Great environment to work
Technology Lead (Current Employee), Plantation, FLMarch 9, 2015
My day starts with Agile stand up calls of various projects. Great place to work.

AMEX has a great pool of talent and very impressive work culture.
For self motivators and strictly sales people
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 9, 2015
This role is for individuals that are great salespeople and are self driven. It is geared for entrepreneurs. Not much support and not much of a team environment
Used to be this amazing place to work with lots of opportunity, but not so much now.
High Touch Sales (Former Employee), Salt Lake CityMarch 9, 2015
Pros: training, cafeteria, vacation time, tuition reimbursement
Cons: management, fraternization, cutlure of high performance breeds cheating
I still have many friends that are apart of American Express and they are constantly filled with fear of lay offs, performance reviews, and constant push for achievement. Amex taught me a lot but mostly how to keep my head down. They have some good benefits like tuition reimbursement, but the insurance is very costly with a high deductible for lower band employees, the higher band employees, managers and above, actually have better insurance with lower deductibles, I think that is pretty despicable. They convince you its the best place to work and that you couldn't find anything better. Their hourly pay is low and tied to incentives which used to be reasonable to reach and have high payouts for top performers, which really offset the negative. The goals have changed many times and the payouts are now not achievable or have a low pay out. The Amex customers are disgruntled and speaking with that type of person all day long definitely takes a toll. The advancement there is tied to WHO YOU KNOW and pretty much nothing else. SO many times during an interview I heard, "Why didn't you ask someone to put a word in for you..." After I heard that for the tenth time I put in my two weeks and moved on. I have had so much success since leaving Amex; it feels good to be valued for what you know and not who you hang out with on the weekends.
Good to work for
Job Coach, Customer Service (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 7, 2015
Pros: 401k
I enjoyed going into to work and their work life balance. Salary was good and bonuses great, Would never of left people where good to work with.
A fantastic company to work for.
Relationship Care Consultant (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 6, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, great management, telecommuting, team spirit
Cons: call center work
Over the years I have worked with American Express, I have realized what an awesome company Amex is, and the people who I worked with are in my opinion the best in the business. I have not reported to any "bad managers", and there is always a team spirit with my co-workers.

My work was call center work. This involved "driving a desk" and wearing a head set - answering incoming calls from anyone and everyone about their account for the whole shift. I did this from 1999 until 2011 when American Express's call center closed. Even then, we were encouraged (and many of us were accepted) to apply for our same job in a home office setting. This brought many advantages because we traded off cubicle space and cafeteria food for our own personal office and whatever we cooked at home.

If you are okay with call center work, love interacting with people via the telephone, and want to work with the best in the business, then I would heartily recommend checking to see if American Express has any job openings and apply with them.
Team work
Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMarch 5, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: center closed and went to phoeniz, az
It was a high stressed job. We did collections from past due accounts. Many times we would get yelled at, hung up on. The best part about the job was being able to negotiate with card members to try to bring accounts current.
Good training and support..Too much politics
Regional Manager Business Development (Current Employee), New YorkMarch 4, 2015
Pros: benefits, work-life
Cons: immobility, office politics galore
Good company overall to work for. They train very well, and you will know how to do your job. Advancement however is difficult unless you are in the right click. No longer is hitting your target numbers enough to advance. You need to schmooze with VPs until you get liked enough to move up. Probably not any different than any other large corporation.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries