American Express
1,743 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Not just a work place but became home
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2015
Pros: people enviorment
American express helped me grow personally with the environment and professionally. The people once you have been there for a while are your family and they help develop you and see aspects of you that you never see and blossom you into a performer that you never believed before.
Lovely Place to work and grow your leadership
Manager, Account Development (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2015
I've learned and grown into a exceptional Leader working here at American Express. I have been fortunate enough to develop into a successful leader over the years, where my brand is respected and valued!
Summary
Service Member Civil Relief Act-Case Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 7, 2015
Great name and brand but not much room for growth and salary is low. Customer service is stressful but can make a lot of money. Company has changed over the last few years.
I was in the wrong place
Vice President Controller Operations & Six Sigma (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 6, 2015
Pros: My co-workers
Cons: My manager
My experience was a poor one that was 100% because of my manager...he has long since left the company.

I was not there long enough to say anything more
American Express
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 6, 2015
Working American Express has showed me how to use computers and show me how handle business with people credit cards. Typical day at American Express was basically sitting at your office answering phones and emails. Making excel spreadsheets for your manager and making appoinments. Management was really on top of you, they would check up on you from time to time but most of the time management would be working from home when you in the office. Co-workers would not bother you unless they needed help with an excel speadsheet. The hardest job in American Express was not being to do alot of things. You would always have to sit at your desk and just look at a computer for about 8 hours staright. The best part about working with american express is that the enviorment was actually very welcoming.
Great place to work excellent co-workers
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Nice people
Cons: didn't always have access to the tools I needed
Enjoyed going to work
I learned a lot about different software.
Management cared about the worker
Co-workers were helpful and fun to work with
When I had to tell a user that their hard drive had crashed and they lost all there data
Working with the user, I met a lot of interesting people
I loved it
APS/Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 2, 2015
I loved working for Amex. great people and a great company. although there were many constant changes it was always an adaptable work place.
Good place to work and have a career
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
In IT project management, it is a fast-paced environment where the days fly by. Company moving to an Agile environment in IT.
Great place to work with room for advancement.
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2015
Pros: paid education, on site cafeteria
I have been at American Express for nine years. It is a great place to network and create your own career pathing ranging from customer service to technology and so many opportunities in between.
Good and healthy team
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 31, 2015
Good working culture and atmosphere.

Good team.

Understanding service objectives and capturing business requirements through active listening & questioning
techniques.
Keeping abreast of new legislation, company strategy and policy and being able to identify its impact on ICT
projects.
Able to prepare written proposals, requirements specifications, invitations to tender and solution specifications.
Able to Identify business & systems process improvements from Big Picture to detail level.
Excellent communication skills to manage and liaise with business and technical consultants to explore
BUSINESS PROCESS improvement opportunities
Project Management
Project Manager/System Analyst (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2015
Pros: Exposed to Corporate environment
Cons: Constant change within my management team leaders
This was an exciting job, always something new to do and learn.
The people had such diversity and the environment was always growing. I learned many life lessons and made great friendships.
Carrier grouth is good
Tech Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix AZMay 30, 2015
American express working culture is good, All employes co-ordination and with communication is beautiful .and company providing futures inside canteen and Zem...
Job Security
Team Leader (Current Employee), FloridaMay 28, 2015
Pros: benefits, vacation time, job security
Cons: leaders are responsible for wearing too many hats to be effective.
Very demanding environment. Leadership has very little work/life balance. Everything is a fire drill daily. However, there are many perks to offset man of the cons. Benefits are outstanding and generous vacation time based on your tenure. Most employees have very high tenure 10-25 year employees are very common. Incentives/bonuses for leadership are difficult to achieve with goal drivers. The hardest part of my job is wearing so many hats. My priority should be leading and coaching my team, however with the numerous demands on time to ensure the client is taking care of, responding to emails, escalations, conference calls/meetings consumes your day. The most enjoyable is many of the people i work with. Teamwork is great across various business units and all in all everyone wants to do a good job, even with the challenges.
Great Team of Employess
Business Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great work life Balance
Cons: Job Security
I handled the day to day travels sales for corporations. Like UPS and King and Spalding law firm. I loved the Employees and the Management. Great work Life balance.
Ecellent company with geat incentives.
Remittance Processor II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 27, 2015
Pros: Emplyee incentives every quarter.
Cons: System down time.
My typical day at work was productive and fun. I was cross trained in other areas of the company, what the company achievements, goals and expectations were. I was asked to be on a team that addressed the concerns of the employees. Co-workers were good to work with, even though as an individual you had to meet your own production for the day. There was in my opinion nothing hard about the job. The enjoyable pat was when, there were contest for the most productive person that day and the luncheons.
Unorganized work environment
SQL Developer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 26, 2015
Pros: Great compensation
Cons: Lack of direction, unavailable management
When you think of large corporations like Amex, you really expect them to have hiring & new employee orientation down to a pattern. After all, they hire new people all the time.

They do not at all. It took over four weeks for them to assign me a desk to sit at, requesting that I sit at other people's desks while they were not at work. Often times, this required me to change desks 4 or 5 times a day, as people who were supposed to be working from home showed up.

There is no formal training or orientation. I was given a list of simple tasks to accomplish (set up voicemail, install x and – more... y software, etc.) and then had no idea what was expected of me for the first 3 weeks until I finally was assigned a project. My manager was generally not in office and did not respond to emails from me requesting something to do.

While compensation is great, projects move at a snails pace, and every other day it seems like we get held up waiting for another team to provide business requirements, or just general information you would have expected to be in the request in the first place. For someone who likes a fast-paced challenging environment, this is not the correct choice of employer. – less
Work Life balance, great culture and company to work for
Senior Manager, Product Development and Digital (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 26, 2015
Great company to work for, the HR policies do look out for the employee's best interest as long as it is aligned with business objectives. There is an interest in the development of employees' career growth and personal development. There is always room for growth as the company has so many different business units that feel like a new experience.
Worked night shift alone.
Computer operator for Harbor Payments (Former Employee), SAN ANTONIO, TXMay 25, 2015
Pros: learning process
Cons: only person in building at nigh so had no air or heat.
Monitor servers, receive and process files from customers. Coordinate processing errors and server errors with proper department to resolve problems. Supervise off shore workers in India.
Good office culture, dedicated employees
Travel manager (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAMay 24, 2015
Pros: Good encentives, free lunches, excellent working enviroment
I enjoyed working at Luxury Link. Dedicated staff, generous compensation, and benefits, fun working environment. Good senior management.
Wonderful company that continues to strive to the fullest potential
Sr. Business System Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2015
Pros: Leadership are superior
Cons: No complains
I have been fortunate to work for such a company. They have been wonderful for the years I have been there. I look forward to a new passion and endeavor.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Salaries