American Express Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,844 reviews matching the search
Senior Manager, Global Operational Risk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2016
Overall very solid company. Good work life balance and generally willing to provide career growth. I would recommend working at Amex.
Great people to work with
Director Global Strategic Capabilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 20, 2016
Through my time in American Express I had the opportunity to grow personally and professionally whilst having a good career advancement. I had the great opportunity to work with great people and meet great mentors. I had the luxury to travel all around the world with the company and be relocated 3 times.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Not perceived as industry disrupters
Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
i would love to continue work with them if they have any open position. i was giving them the best of myself. during my sprint i was always focused into finishing the stories
Pros
Everyone is helpfull
Good Company
Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2016
Good Company to work. Good Culture and Friendly environment. Management is very much helping. Cons is Amex fire employees and contractors very frequent without any clear justifications
Not a stable environment
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2016
There are way too many senior level managers. As an example (as of May 8, 2016) there are 13,728 Directors inside American Express. They are currently trying to correct poor market share by cutting $1,000,000,000 out of their budget for 2017. While they assured all employees that there would be minimal staff reduction, they have already begun to let 100's of employees go. The Directors have no say over who stays and who goes from their department.
They try to keep a secure environment, but only recently upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2013. The IT infrastructure is very siloed and while there are attempts to improve (update and secure) the current infrastructure, the pace is very slow given today's technology.
Pros
Working from home once or twice a week
Cons
Too many senior managers, not enough intradepartment communications, older technology, no room for advancement.
Good company, subpar management, excellent and deflecting blame
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2016
American Express is a great company to work for as long as you can understand your role in a corporation. This usually involves just nodding your head and understanding that there will always be smarter individuals paid more that have better ideas then you.
Pros
Paid Vacations, PTO, Sick time, Coaching, Team events
Cons
Healthcare, Slow Manangement depending on who you have, Slow progress within company.
Dynamic working environment with incredible talent throughout.
Compliance Analyst -Anti-Money Laundering (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 13, 2016
During the summer of 2015 I had an opportunity to develop/enhance my analytical skill set with American Express (“Amex”), where I worked as an Anti-Money Laundering Analyst. This role required me to use a wide variety of analytical tools to investigate potentially suspicious financial activity not only in the United States, but across the globe. Over time, I became very experienced at analyzing and summarizing suspicious financial activity over a dozens of product platforms, drafting hundreds of well articulate Suspicious Activity Reports which were submitted to FINRA. My experience at Amex taught me a great deal about the world of money laundering, and the ways in which cyber criminals abuse modern credit and prepaid products. Furthermore, I feel that my prior role as an Anti-Money Laundering Analyst has molded me into the type of analyst, which can add value to any analytic team.
Pros
Challenging workload, diverse work environment, surrounded by top talent.
Cons
High pressure to perform.
good benefits and good corparation
B2B Collections (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 13, 2016
well manage
work with the smartest people in the worlk
met workers from all over the world
sucessful negioations
education on every banking law
Pros
health discounts and gifts for bettering your health
Cons
NA/
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 13, 2016
Difficult situation to stay motivated. The company morale is poor due to a very, very high turnover rate. The goals that are set are unattainable due to slow computers and lack of staff.
Pros
Good location and hours
Cons
Low morale
Excellent Company to work for
Director, Credit Risk Operations, Call Center (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 10, 2016
The Customer Experience is at the center of everything the Company does. Training is extensive and on-going. Management is engaged with and supportive of employees.
American Express is a great company to work for
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2016
Generally good work/life balance and opportunities to move around the company. Every two years you are encouraged to look for a new opportunity in the company, which keeps you fresh.
overall experience was good
Senior Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2016
it is a good place to work with.it is a good place. located in pheonix, az. environment is very good. work is reasonable . management and calleage were very helpful.
good
good
Lead .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 6, 2016
Great staff and great membership. Highly recommend working here as it is a great source for networking and career growth both in the golf industry and outside of it.
ok company
Small business Merchant Rep (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 6, 2016
The agents are very unprofessional and the supervisors interaction with the agents is also unprofessional. The company isn't completely bad there are some good things that have occurred there but the bad usually out weighted the good.
Pros
earned time off
Cons
last minute/unknown schedule changes
Can be brutal after a while
Financial Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 4, 2016
80% of the phone representatives have Fmla or disability because of the high level of stress involved with this job. 100+ fast paced calls a day. Not all of them are bad but some are borderline abusive and american express will not protect you. Your job is completely dependant on customer surveys which you have no control over. Great pay and work flexibility but poor medical benefits. Its extremely difficult to move up in the company and if you do, its usually only temporary. Breaks are terrible. Very challenging 3 part interview process as well.
Pros
Great Pay, work flexibility
Cons
High stress, poor benefits, poor breaks
Good place to learn corporate culture
Financial Advisor, Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
Good training experience. they sponsor the Series 7 and 63 certifications and provide you with the best sales experience on financial instruments.
Pros
get the best of breed on the products they have.
Cons
Only the numbers count.
If you're not on the phones you'll like the work environment.
Centurion Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 3, 2016
If you're not on the phones the work atmosphere is great. If you're on the phones you may want to move around within the company so make sure you meet your quotas.
Pros
if you're not on the phones you may like the atmosphere.
Cons
10 mins breaks for people on the phones are horrible.
Love the job and the Customer Service Experience
Help desk assistance for field reps (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 3, 2016
Customer Service and resolution of issues are the best at AMEX. The most enjoyable part is working with internal and external customers to promote and facilitate AMEX.
Pros
Options
Nice
Sr. .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2016
It was really nice working there
people there are very friendly
I learned a lot while working there
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
Good place to work for
AML/OFAC/Fraud Investigations and Analysis (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2016
In my 22 years of employment I had a good experience. My managers were personable and fair to me. My co-workers were also great. High volumes of work.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
High volumes of work.

4.2