American Express Employee Reviews

Exciting overseeing bi coastal locations
BY-COASTAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 7, 2017
I was in charge of hiring,training bi-coastal employees
It was exciting to work with 2 teams on different coast.
Developed training plans, performance reviews and coaching
Pros
Fun teams to work with
Cons
Low pay
Loved it
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 7, 2017
Loved working at American express. The people were amazing. The job was fun and it wasn't like working when you were there. It was like being there with friends and talking to friends on the phone. Easy job to make a lot of commission at.
Pros
lots of money
Cons
Pleasant company to begin your career with
Risk Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2017
American Express is a marketing-driven company. Most employees focus on a marketing-related roles.

The work-life balance is the best that I have ever experienced as most employees are only expected to work for 7 hours per day. This can be very useful for starting a family or taking evening classes.

The culture is quite strong here. Group, in-person meetings are very common. Performance reviews are a strong focus, although the process is different from year to year.

Overall, I found American Express to be a very solid company to begin my career with.
Pros
Relaxed hours, polite environment, work-life balance
Cons
Limited focus on career development, non-marketing roles
Great experiance
AWS/DEVOPS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2017
I would describe the ideal job as a job that makes the most of my qualifications and abilities, and gives me a chance to constantly challenge myself. I look for a stable job with quality supervision, a positive work culture at a successful company that will encourage me to work at my best
Overall Great Place to Work
MANAGER, MARKETING DESIGN, LOYALTY EDGE LLC (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2017
American Express has a great culture and work life balance. I enjoyed working here and would consider going back one day. Work from home on Fridays for most teams.
Great place to work, loved it
Telephone Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PANovember 5, 2017
Great place and a great work life balance. They give so much time off if needed and still got paid for it. Was constant back to back calls day in and day out which can you leave you stressed and burnt out at times.
Pros
pay, benefits, managers
Great company
Recruiting and Onboarding Process Leader (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 5, 2017
I really enjoyed working here they had a great work/life balance. The benefits were great... I would recommend this company to anyone who needed a solid career
Nice fast paced job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLNovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed the steady schedule , it was comfortable and it allowed time for personal responsibilities to be attended during the week. Overall I would say it was an excellent job.
Pros
Long work days to enjoy more time off
Cons
Too much standing
Highly fast past
Corporate Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 3, 2017
A typical day at work was call center environment with strong knowledge of corporate travel policy and customer service. The position was based on mostly incoming calls.
Made life long friends/good benefits
Customer Care Professional for Domestic Card (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 2, 2017
I worked at American Express for 14 years. They laid me off within a group of 89 employees. It was a great place to work. Loved the benefits. flexible schedule at the time
Homebased
Virtual Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 2, 2017
Great place to work, they are home based so its exceited. They was able to match my pay . The benefits are good they can be expensive but worth it and I know because i worked at 2 previous insurance companies.
Pros
They matched my pay
Cons
It may be hard with the metrics
Great for the resume, not for anything else
Business Analyst / E2E Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 2, 2017
I am shocked AMEX is still in business with how poorly they are running a s a company. No one seems happy and they seem to import more temps than needed. It was a mess and I would never recommend anyone working there.
Growth and well compensated
Senior Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLNovember 1, 2017
Amex is a great place to work. Compensation is unlimited and the people are family. If I was not laid off, I would still be there until my retirement.
Pros
incentives, schedules, bonuses and pay
Cons
parking area
Worked at onsite downtown. Made travel arrangements.
TRAVEL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 1, 2017
Enjoyed working this job. Made travel arrangements for
Corporate clients, including hotel, car, and airline tickets.
Obtained passports for International travel, and scheduled
meetings for employees relocating. This was a very
rewarding job, and made many loyal friends and clients.
The worst part of this job, was traveling downtown during
rush hour.
Work life balance
Sr. Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 31, 2017
Best place to work, not the best place for career development. Terrific benefits and enjoyable work life balance. Great people and environment. I highly recommend it.
Independent Financial Advisory Practice
Division Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 31, 2017
Maintain and grow independent financial plannig practice. How to manage a stand alone business:manage expenses, prioritize tasks, delegate assignments, and run business at a profit for 7 years.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
long work hours
typical corporate structure
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 31, 2017
Aggressive management with little tolerance and consideration for personal problems. Personnel does little to support employees. Middle management was unfriendly and non-supportive.
Pros
well established company
Cons
favoritisim among management
Diversified, Work/Life Balance, easy to communicate, fun place to work. Team effort
Executive Assistant to 2 Vice President (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYOctober 30, 2017
The days were balanced. Of course, like any other place of employment, there were extremities where it pertained to deadlines and timelines especially, during the close of each quarter. The Executive Assistants worked in a team work atmosphere to get the job done in order to have a job work/life balance relationship. The EAs planned many of the team's quarterly events which included a vast amount of charitable work. Whether it was to clean up the City Parks, Plant a tree, aid at Soup Kitchens, Big Brother/Big Sister relations etc., no matter what, the entire department volunteered. I was also impressed at the Company's Diversity and its Cultural Environment. I myself volunteered in several of these events. In my team, as I can't speak for everyone, I had a great relationship with my senior leaders. They made me feel very comfortable, like part of the team even on my very first day, very easy to talk to. We all pitched in to get the job done.
Pros
Team work atmosphere, Work/Life Balance, Very Diversified
Cons
To many turnovers, Layoffs
American Express
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 29, 2017
My experience at American Express was extremely positive. The company showed great employee appreciation and opportunities to grow within. This was the best call center environment that I have ever worked in.
Great place to work... good work life balance... advance in analytics
Director Marketing & Decision Science (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2017
I worked for this company for 10 years. Great company to work for. Good benefits, work-life balance, advanced data and analytics that is ahead of industry.
Pros
Competitive salary, other benefits, work life balance
Cons
Frequent job displacements, jobs going offshore

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2