American Express Employee Reviews

Wonderful Company to Work For
MRP Controller (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Too many to list
Cons: Dwntown
Very professional environment. I learned most of what I know of the industry at this company, unbelievable training offered. Management was very responsible and accountable. Coworkers were respectful and team players. I love this company and encourage anyone to be a part of a company like this.
Excellent client I worked with...
Test Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 7, 2015
Great client people.. great work culture.. great opportunities.. good technologies being used.. more learning stuff to grow in career...
Travel Agency For The Rich
Travel Counselor/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Quarterly comp trips
Working for American Express as a travel counselor was a great opportunity not only to serve those with the platinum or centurion card in their travel needs, but it gave me a daily diversity in my work
Productive Workplace
Anti-Money Laundering Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2015
Great place to learn about anti money laundering and fast pace style. The training that they provide is top notch and plenty of opportunities to move up within the company.
I learned alot at this job, and they worked hard in the departments I worked in to create team players.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Good communications through meetings, they were appreciative.
Cons: They were moving several departments to India, and Arizona. Always a bit of a concern.
I survived four major layoffs during the economic downturn, and advanced accordingly. Even though that thought was always a possibility, I felt confident in the departments I was placed.
Fast pace environment
Operations Analyst- IPO (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits, love the people I work with and the customers I service
Cons: Not enough staff to do the job, All about performance numbers
The hardest part of the job is not enough staff to do the job that needs to be done. Coverage is always thin which impedes on my personal time off and the ability to develop, learn and grow.

The most enjoyable part of my day is enjoy what I do, servicing the customers I have. Providing the best information, support and knowledge I can. Always willing to help and service with a smile.
Worldwide industry leader with future advancement opportunities
Specialized Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: working hours and vacation policy
The daily work is not repetitive and requires critical thinking to complete. The management is dedicated to helping you succeed in your career path.
it was a great place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJuly 1, 2015
Cons: they outsource as many of the jobs possible
after 20 years, you have done a lot of different jobs. I was mostly customer service.
at the beginning it was an amazing company to work for. they cared about their people and were family oriented.
towards the end, it was only about the bottom line and how many jobs they could send out of the country so the upper mgmt could fill their pockets with large bonuses.
at the time, we had an amazing benefit package, that went down the toilet as well. you pay out a lot of $$ for medical only to receive poor coverage and high co-pays.
Overall wonderful employer
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits, co-workers
Cons: Some worked holidays
Great company to work for. Work environment was uplifting. Learned a tremendous amount in training and while employed. Management was very hands on in helping to reach goals.
Love working for American Express
eLearning Authoring Specialist (Current Employee), Overland Park KSJune 30, 2015
I am in the job market because my position at American Express has been displaced. I really like AMEX, the people, culture and management and wish my job had not been displaced. This is a company I really wanted to retire with. They are good people and treat their employees very well.
Great place to work with multiple opportunities to grow
Director of Customer Experience (Marketing) (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2015
American Express is a very exciting organization to work for. It provides a many opportunities to increase your marketing acumen.

I a matrix organization where you learn how to with interact with multiple levels of the organization in multiple international markets.

Overall, great company to work for with a lot of opportunities for growth.
Great benefits
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Schedule
Worked in call center taking incoming corporate calls using the ACD system. Assisted corporate clients in all travel related needs at a professional and business level.
Productive work environment
Travel Consultant - Work from Home (Former Employee), Madison, MSJune 30, 2015
Pros: Work from home
Cons: Excessive micro management
American Express allowed a work from home environment, which was beneficial. Micro management seemed to be extremely excessive.
Working for AM EX Investment Banking Company was Great!
Financial Consultant (Former Employee), Denver, CO Ventura, CAJune 30, 2015
Pros: I liked being able to learn work information and present it logically
Cons: Management was very supportive and helped make work fun
It was an employment that required me to study at work and pass four National tests before I was able to begin the training for employment. Then, I was sent to another major city in another state to train with many other people that had recently passed the major national exam and we studied together and then passed two other tests and spent seventeen months in a training program. After the training together in the other major city in another state, we were to pass one more state exam and also perform qualifying duties to accomplish so that we were able to stay employed with the American Express Investment Banking company. The information my colleagues and I learned was varied and we were taught standard company training. Also, we learned from working with the employees of the American Express Investment Banking Company and the customers that called in or customers that we had called. I spent time speaking also to other cities at headquarters of the American Express Investment Banking Company, sending faxes and also using computer generated communication. Additionally, I sent out much mail to American Express customers. I had many meetings directly with clients and also planned and held many public. seminars so I began to be more comfortable speaking to groups of people. The workday began very early and I worked sixty hour work weeks. I learned to be a specialist in several areas that required much time to ask questions and thankfully the people that I worked with were people that were interested in precise details and enjoyed explaining to my satisfaction that then my time – more... was leveraged so that my coworkers could then come to me and be advised quickly of what they might want to know about that area of expertise. Our management provided many meetings: every morning, at lunch and sometimes in the afternoon with trainers from companies that had working relations with American Express Investment Bankers Specifically, I really liked this employment as it was different every day and I think that the people that I worked with also enjoyed what they were doing and the management was totally supportive in providing much training since we met directly with government agencies to assure that we had been trained and worked knowledgeably as professionals. In summary, I feel fortunate that I American Express Investment Banking Company hired me and that I was could work for them. – less
Good workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahJune 29, 2015
Overall, good experience. Good pay, but not much opportunity for growth. Excellent tuition reimbursement policy. Many layoffs make you feel unsure about future.
Work place life balance
Sr. Specialist Global Travel (Former Employee), VirtualJune 29, 2015
Pros: American Express proper all the benefits you can imagine, Post sold off part get in trouble for taking materinty leave
Cons: Work promotion not always based on quailty of work.
Working for American Express is a treasure. They have many benefits for employees. However moving up the ladder has more to do with who you know not what you know. If you have the misfortune to work for a company that was once part of American Express but now only has ownership in such as Global Business Travel ( Owner by Seteraus) your treated poorly and they look for almost any reason to down size.
Very "corporate" - nice people
Executive Assistant to the VP of Finance (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 27, 2015
Nice place to work for. I was there for five years working for the SVP of Finance, a team consisting of 10ppl. Organized travel arrangements and handled calendar management.
Customer Service Excellence
Dedicated Global Client Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2015
Pros: Too many to identify
Cons: Lots of competition to advance
Amex provided me with the tools, resources and training to provide world class service. Amex is the leader in Customer Service and I'm proud of my time there.
Good Benefits and Pay
Customer Service/Leadership/Problem Solving (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJune 25, 2015
Pros: on site cafeteria/benefits and pay
Cons: short breaks/high stress/advancement opportunities
All jobs have a level of stress but at times the stress level here can be through the roof. There can be a bit of favoritism and there is a false sense of advancement with lateral moves after lateral move. I have seen some advance and overall believe the company has a great culture, but it is starting to wane due to many people taking ideas that are not theirs as their own and keeping the people they want in management and advancement opportunities. The focus on keeping the front line employee satisfied has shifted which causes a poor morale across the board. I started working here with a sense of family and pride which is no longer something I believe in here.
great job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 24, 2015
Pros: greatb work schedual
Cons: not a career oriented job
great job I loveworking here I would do so again if offered. the people whee graet and kind. The pay was great . It was a great job. I loved my boss and all of my co workers
Headquarters