American Express

1.7K reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Data Architect (Current Employee), PhoenixMay 21, 2015
Professional and fun loving workplace. Encourages individual ideas but most of the time believes in team work. A successful team involved in delivering best of the product.
Good corporate job
SENIOR MANAGER, PRODUCT DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee), New YorkMay 19, 2015
Strong emphasis on work life balance, but it does depend upon your team.

Regardless of how they position themselves, the banking industry is becoming more regulated and you see the effects across the business. Lots of red tape and alignment required if you are in the core business.

Summer fridays, encouraged to use your PTO, good speakers and networking groups.
Love the Culture
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2015
Executed core administrative skills e.g. coordinated executive's appointments, email, travel reservations.
The execited part of my day is leaving knowing all tasks are completed.
Layback, but productive
Web Designer - JAVA Script Programmer (Former Employee), Plantation, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: Great cafeteria
Cons: Salaries are lower than market
They treat people with respect and have high expectations of the employees.

They are flexible as long as you finish your projects.
Over all working enviroment
Senior computer operator (Former Employee), PhoenixMay 19, 2015
Pros: free coffee and tea
Cons: building needed more breakrooms
Worked with an incredible team met and worked with many good hard co-workers, through the years of change in management met and worked under some very good managers. The hardest part of the job was probably the 12 hour shifts. Worked with a group of people that had great sense of humors and easy to get along with great team work
fun at first
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2015
Pros: cafeteria benefits
Cons: schedules and flexibility
It is okay to work for American Express if you are able to work any day anytime. they are open 24/7 including ALL holidays which isn't ideal for me to have time with my children
Onsite travel manager was challenging yet very rewarding
Corporate travel manager, corporate sales agent (Former Employee), Omaha, NE.May 18, 2015
Pros: Association with American Express, being considered responsible enough to manage this account on my own.
Cons: Nobody availble to train me on new procedures, Had to do this myself. Also, AMEX required many lengthy reports which were time-consuming.
I was responsible for handling all corporate travel requests for a company or 800 employees, including air, car, hotel, limos and all customer service issues related to the vendors. I also did group travel – more... for this company.
I worked on-site which I loved as it gave me an opportunity to get to know my travelers and for them to get to know me, I was solely responsible for every transaction and kept spreadsheets for accounting as well as handled many special requests for VIP travelers.
My management was in another state so we just kept in touch by phone. I did not have any co-workers until the last year, when the volume was too much for 1 person. She worked out of her home.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the volume of requests.
The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know my clients and going above and beyond to do favors for them such as upgrades in status or VIP seating on airlines. – less
Senior Events Manager
Event Manager (Former Employee), Essex, MDMay 17, 2015
Pros: Multi channel experience/travel/industry exposure
Cons: N/A
I have worked within the events and hospitality industry for approximately 20 years. I have a wealth of project and stakeholder management experience as well as global vendor management.
A typical work – more... day would commence with a team briefing to update colleagues on current event projects. Thus giving colleagues the opportunity to seek assistance/support.
Trust for me, in any environment is an important aspect of my day to day life.
The hardest part of my job is balancing life outside of work as, working within the events industry is all consuming.
The most enjoyable part of job is being issued with an event brief and then developing that brief to "bring the event to life". – less
Review
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2015
A wonderful place to work. I enjoyed management and never had an issue with them. The culture is very strong and it's a great brand to be a part of.
Respond to questions concerning customer accounts in a fast paced, structured customer care environment.
Fraud Analyst and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMay 13, 2015
Pros: Compensation
Cons: Being micromanaged, No growth opportunity outside of HBS customer service, felt disconnected from company and Health insurance (had to meet deductible)
I logged in and out according to my daily schedule. I learned the required policies & procedures and the appropriate verbiage to communicate them to the customer. I only got to communicate with my co-workers through the company messenger service when there was time to as the calls were back to back and it was against policy to send messages unrelated to the call with the customer.
Global Brand - Recognizable anywhere
Regional Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2015
Pros: Global Brand
Cons: Slow to change and implement changes
A great place to work and very good benefits as well. However, sometimes not all practice what they preach. Talking about growth mindset vs fixed mindset. The company has come a long way since 15 years ago. Has a good work life balance as well. Worked with a very tenured organization.
Very nice place to work
Test Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, ArizonaMay 12, 2015
Very nice company to work. I enjoy the team and the work environment.

This company have laid way to my carrer in all aspects. I have learnt many things , one of them is the leadership qualities which i have learnt much.
Family oriented company
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Greensboro NCMay 12, 2015
Pros: a lot of activities to engage employee.
Cons: schedules, survey ratings
Over all great company to work for but rating for employees was not balanced or fair. After tenure decent salary . Benefits were great.
HARD WORKER, TEAM PLAYER, AND FAST LEARNER
CUSTOMER CARE PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee), WESTON, FLORIDAMay 12, 2015
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK IS WHEN WORK IS RUNNING SMOOTHLY. WHAT I'VE LEARNED IS TO SHOW PEOPLE WHAT I CAN DO WHEN IS COMES TO GETTING THE JOB DONE. I'VE MANAGE 14 EMPLOYEES WHENEVER MY SUPERVISOR WAS ABSENT – more... OR PRESENT. MY CO-WORKERS WAS WONDERFUL WORKERS. THEY WORKED EXTRA HARD TO GET THE JOB DONE. THE HARDEST PART WAS DEALING WITH A COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T LIKE TO BE TOLD WHAT TO DO WHEN I WAS SUPERVISING THE WORKPLACE. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF MY JOB WAS MEETING DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS. AND LEARNING THE THINGS ABOUT MYSELF THAT I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW. WHICH IS BEING A LEADER, SUPERVISING, BEING A TEAM PLAYER, AND CHALLENGING OTHER SHIFTS WHEN IT COMES TO GETTING THE JOB DONE IN A TIMELY MANNER. – less
Great Work-life balance
Manager - U.S. Regulatory Reporting (Current Employee), Stamford, CTMay 11, 2015
There is a very collaborative work atmosphere within the Company where everyone has to be taken together for decision-making
Hard work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Plantation, FLMay 9, 2015
Good money, hard work, unrealistic goals. Management tries their best. I found it very stressful, but good money. it is a nice company to work for. Many benefits.
Productive and fun work place with a game room
Intern (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 9, 2015
In my time at American Express I was exposed to multiple opportunities, the company paid approximatly 6,500 for my certification in top level software and other trainings. If you're working as a customer care professional it can be hectic but the pace as a technology worker is a bit slower.
Travel
Lead Specialist Centurion/Platinum (Current Employee), Las VegasMay 8, 2015
This is a virtual job. With a good work/life balance as well as compensation. Great management that helps you learn as well as helps answer any questions you have.
Has lost its luster
Senior Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 8, 2015
Pros: Relaxed work environment compared to other companies in the financial-services industry
Cons: Health plans have high deductibles, little corporate discounts, advancements are not equitable among all employees, lack strong leaders
Company is struggling to cope with changing business environments, which include younger workforce and unprofitabble investments in previous years.

The company is slow to turn itself around. As a result, it's losing many talented employees.
Great company to start your career at
Senior Manager, Product Management (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 7, 2015
Excellent place for entry-level professional who want to quickly get broad experience and be able to move around the organization.
Headquarters