American Express Employee Reviews

Found 1,426 reviews matching the search
Very collaborative environment in NYC but comm problems with phoenix.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2015
The employees in NYC were very smart, hard working and productive. The work environment was excellent, promoting communications with an open seating environment and ample space. However there was an issue between the managers in NYC and the managers in Phoenix. As a result there was a mandate to move developers from Phoenix to NY to promote better communications between the two groups. They are still struggling to accomplish this location change.
Pros
Collaborative, happy, productive environment
Cons
Communication issues between NYC and phoenix.
Great benefits, horrible job if it customer service.
Platinum Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLNovember 4, 2015
WARNING If you have never worked at a call center before this is a very tough job. Card members can be absolutely rude and disrespectful. It is highly stressful if you are not use to call center type of work. I wish I would have been able to have dealt with it because the benefits are great and the pay is not bad either.
Pros
Benefits such as 1.5 month of PTO
Cons
Customers
Great work-life balance
Senior Manager, Regulatory & Digital Controls (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2015
Amex is a great place to work, but making an impact can take a long time. Almost all the employees are highly accomplished with prestigious educational backgrounds.
Great Company
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 2, 2015
Great place to work, just remember that this is about customer service and interacting with customers on a daily basis.
gameroom on the first level, cafeteria on site, sys issues
GCA (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2015
A typical work day would include logging on the system taking inbound and outbound calls assisting customers whom were stopped at the point of sale for one reason or another. I learned different ways of bridging a customer and deescalating a tough call. My manager was a joke but there where some good managers there. The hardest part of my day is speaking to a customer who didn't understand their card product. The most enjoyable part of my day is my coworkers and interacting with them daily.
Pros
cafeteria on site, daily contest
Cons
repetative work
Great place to work. Great people to work for and to work with.
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 1, 2015
Great Company to work for. Great benefits. Great vacation time and sick time if needed. Salary was Great too!

Refresher classes were very available in earlier time I was employed there.. There was always someone you could ask if you got stuck on something etc.
Pros
See above comments
Cons
sometimes very stressful.
good benefits and salary
FOREIGN CURRENCY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2015
I did not enjoy my time at American express management is not that great. They are not an organized company. The systems are all out of date. My management lacked knowledge in all things foreign currency.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
management
Loved this place
Service Recovery Team (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 26, 2015
The pay is great and the work life balance was awesome too. The only reason I left was due to the relocation of my department to salt lake UT. There was no way I was moving out there.
customer service
Credit and Return Payment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 24, 2015
excellent soft skills, customer service #1 rated top collector 10 years, inter personal skills, mentored department on how to become excellent in strive in customer service, assisted customers to enable spend to build business needs
Pros
loved helping customers to acheive spend
American Express
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 23, 2015
Working at AMERICAN EXPRESS was an absolute joy!
Management was always open to hearing suggestions from employees. The culture at AMERICAN EXPRESS was one of family; we helped each other no matter what.
The positions I held were quite demanding, but more self-fulfilling than any position I have had. Management always held meetings in search of better ways of handling complex issues, and they always listened. The positives outnumbered the negatives! I enjoyed my five years at American Express. I unfortunately left the company, because I was relocating. I will never regret the 5 years I spent there!
Pros
Supportive management, great salary, great benefits.
Repetitive work tasks in company with minimal advancement opportunity.
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 22, 2015
Advancement is promised as an option available to most however it isn't. Job tasks are highly repetitive. Management support is basically up to the individual who is directly managing. Management doesn't support employees.
American Express offers great training. Job advancement is possible.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FloridaOctober 21, 2015
The best place to work.
People are friendly. Leadership is motivating. Excellent training. Great work/life balance. Monetary compensation for hard work serves as an incentive.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
Extra work hours are required during the holidays.
American Express
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 21, 2015
Absolutely loved working for American Express. I moved too far away to continue working there. I am still in touch with my previous associates.
Hard to move up
Business Systems Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 20, 2015
Loved the people with whom I worked. Enjoyed the work culture and the atmosphere. VP's were easy to speak with and had an open door policy that allowed you to discuss issues.
Pros
great people and atmosphere
Cons
horrible directors that shouldn't be there
Great Career growth opportunity, very supoprtive learning envirnoment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Plantation FloridaOctober 20, 2015
Very high employee satisfaction, great opportunity to grow within the company. State of the art learning opportunities, fantastic benefits,
One of the best places to work
Pros
Career Growth, fantastic benefits, competitive compensation
Cons
micro management
It is an okay place to work
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 19, 2015
Overall, it is a god place to work, the management is 50/50. If you are lucky enough to get a patient Team Leader than you are lucky. Lots of clicks, only certain select agents are privy to be allowed into the inner circle, getting written up is a common form of discipline, whether it is our fault or not.The incentives are good, to get but easy to lose.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Call monitoring can turn borderline abusive
Telephone Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 19, 2015
Well diverse, exciting place with wonderful people. american Express is a company were you can grow and share your talents. You are given the experience and knowledge to grow within the company as well as with other company's. American Express provides great work
/life support.
I great company to work for with many opportunities both local and global in multiple careers.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 19, 2015
I have worked for numerous companies in my job experience.
AmEx is the only company where I never heard complaints about the company. There are the usual complaints about job, fellow employees, supervisors etc, but no one complains about the company. They really do a good job of taking care of their employees and most are happy to be there.
On site resources to help with career planning and on going training to improve your job prospects. Promotion from within is a priority.
Fitness facilities. Employee lounge. Nurse on site.
For those of you who live or die by your coffee there is even a Starbucks in the cafeteria at the building I worked at.
Pros
Generally a great place to work with many opportunities.
Cons
There is a tendency to assign additional duties while they take their time getting replacements.
Good workplace
Application security Researcher (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 19, 2015
learned a lot of information about the Hacking and its methodology.
Management was very supportive and the co -workers were also helpful as team.
I grew up at Amex, I learned many skills.
Customer Service Rep/ Communications assistant (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 17, 2015
The hardest part of the job was leaving. When you are with a company that long you identify with that company. They were good to the employees and we were loyal. Unfortunately due to the down turn in 2008 a our jobs were out sourced and over 4,000 of us all over the country were laid off.
Pros
Felt good. felt like I belonged. Was able to have a family and a job and do both well.
Cons
American Express was the place to work in 1988, due to the changing times they were not able to stay the same.