American Express Employee Reviews

Average
FIELD AGENT (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 10, 2017
Ok place to work. Job security and advancement opportunity are poor. A lot of busy work in field. Hardest part of job was terrirtory size. Most enjoyable was being able to work from home.
Competing departments
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 9, 2017
More often than not the goals of someone in another business unit impacted the policies and procedures of another business unit. Because of this and how bonuses were given it was difficult to succeed when you had to change your goals/projects mid stream.
Pros
Employee improvement, solid company
Cons
Clicky, unfair
very productive place
TRAVEL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 9, 2017
very faced paced i definitely learned alot working here team was ver supportive of me being a less seasoned agent then most of them managment was very understanding
good
Big Data Application Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 9, 2017
very good company to work for.. with great organization skills and management.
employee friendly and good benefits.

Lot of talented people around to take guidance
best place to work
Light Industrial Worker (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLOctober 9, 2017
american express allowed room for improvement in my professional and personal life they are concerned about their employees they have always kept their employees in the loop about which direction they company was moving towards, the reason for my leaving is because my department was outsourced to another state,a typical day at work was fun due to the fact the team of people i worked with up to and including management ,worked with a diversity group of people who respected each other and got the job done
Overall a very great career experience and opportunist environment.
Database Administration Associate (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLOctober 7, 2017
The most rewarding days were those when we completed our objectives in a timely manner. The work team experience was very satisfying. My days would include various meetings that I needed to attend. While my work hours were on an average in excess of 10 hours per day many of those hours required off shift hours and weekend hours from 11 PM until 3 - 6 AM the following morning. Work place culture was very satisfactory.
Pros
Opportunity, advancement, compensation and job security.
Cons
Workplace culture was excellent and always had fun events to attend
Corporate Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 6, 2017
Excellent place to work. A very diversified culture. I was first point of contact for incoming calls. Set up and booked reservations for Corporate Business clients to include, Airline reservations, hotels, cars and private car service. Made changes to reservations upon request and queued reservations over to the ticketing department when ready. Maintained queues daily. Handled the VIP desk and also had the opportunity to work at one of the other onsite locations on a different account while still being employed with American Express Travel. We had a lot of Corporate events and had a lot of fun, even at the busy times.
Pros
Very busy but a fun place to work and with a great group of people
Cons
Was not always able to take time off when needed.
Collections Dept.
Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2017
I worked for Amex for a little over a year and I loved it. The environment is unlike any other company I have worked for, they really go above and beyond to make sure their employees feel relaxed and comfortable. However, it can be extremely difficult to progress in the company let alone meet the metrics they want you to achieve every month.
Sometimes very stressful
Outside Agency liaison (Former Employee) –  Plantation Florida Cleary BoulevardOctober 6, 2017
American Express Prides itself on customer service I was in the Platinum Card division before I became the liaison

sometimes opportunities to various employees would be unfair because of diversity issues.
Pros
Compensation and bonuses
Cons
Unfair diversity compensation
good
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTOctober 5, 2017
8 hours
customer service, on phones
customer interaction
problem solving
interaction with peers
adhered to guide lines and stats
interaction with management
Pros
hours
Cons
ok
Strong cultural organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 4, 2017
Loved American Express. Great opportunity for movement within the company. Offered a lot of training. Excellent benefits!

Doesn't have a large presence in Atlanta at this time. I'd go back for another job if it were there.
Not fun
Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZOctober 4, 2017
I didn't enjoy it. Other people might. Your main goal is to kiss butt to premium card holders. But you have to do so while continually saying no because there is so little you can do to actually help them--the company has a lot of restrictions. Almost no one stays here long.
good place to work
Net UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2017
Manage high volume, emergency calls from all over the united states. The Irving location is the only roadside location in all of the U.S so we pushed to create a relationship with these long-term cardholders. Handle upset and angry customers with their roadside needs and make sure they are off the road safely and securely.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Awful culture
Executive Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 4, 2017
Will do whatever they want to if they feel it is time for you to move on. Hard to advance, Good ole boys club and if you do not brown nose you will not promote
Looks like very family envirorment
System Engineer (UNIX/ LINUX)/ DevOps (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 4, 2017
It's very friendly environment with work life balance and with no pressure on the resources, It's very pleasure to work at AMEX as they are having very advanced technologies they are using in the environment.
Team Leader Merchant Services- (Former Employee) –  American Express Sunrise FLOctober 4, 2017
I worked there for over 30 years. I would love to get a job back at Amex since being displaced.

I had the best leaders during my tenure with American Express.

I am thankful for the opportunity I had to work for American Express.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
can be very stressful
Fast Paced
Corporate Desk Remittance Processor (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLOctober 3, 2017
Processed invoices per A/R billing receipt the environment was fun, friendly, and fast paced, great people to work with, the hardest is being selected for permanent employment .
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Temporary Hire
good for moms, bad for everyone else
Product Manager, Digital Loyalty Products (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2017
good if you want to just come in, work a normal schedule, go home and not care about your job. not good if you are passionate and want to work hard and care about your job. some of the execs are rude and mediocrity is rewarded. highly political environment. very much about schmoozing
inconsistant
Centurion and Platinum Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 3, 2017
working for American Express Travel is like working for a schizophrenic that suffers from Bi-Polar disorders. There is a constant waiting for the shoe to drop feeling. There is always an underlying current of unrest and insecurities that run through the travel department
American Express Review
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 3, 2017
This company is a good company to work for and I really miss the people I worked with. There were some good and bad, but overall they are a good company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Express. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2