American Family Care Employee Reviews in United States

Sucks!`
Patient Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 13, 2016
This job had terrible pay for all the work that had to be done. Terrible hours. No set lunch breaks, whenever somebody was free to relieve you was when you got your break.
Pros
nothing
Cons
No breaks, bad pay, long hours.
Horrible company with inexperienced workers!
Clinic Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJuly 11, 2016
AFC is a disgrace. The way the upper management treats employees is sickening! They hire jack in a box physicians that order useless test on majority of the patients and get away with it, mostly because they can't keep physicians around long term! The pay is hideous, and they have you cross train in other areas by other personnel who are not properly trained themselves! I find it life threatening not one employee has to be licensed to START AN IV or give an INJECTION! I wouldn't bring any of my family to AFC, and would not refer friends! Overall, AFC is very unappreciative of the few hard trained workers they do have left! Very high turn over rate!
Pros
Working with patients
Cons
Upper management, inexperienced workers
Great place to gain experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 29, 2016
AFC is a great place for entry level healthcare workers to start and get some experience! Other than that there is nothing beneficial from working at afc. The hours are long, which is discussed at interview, but the pay is ridiculous. All the tasks that I have to do and they only offer 9.00 a hour. On top of that, you'll forever be waiting for a raise. Even after u finish your check off sheet, no one even discusses raises with u. They treat u like the bottom of the barrel once you're in there.
Pros
Great learning experience, drug rep lunches
Cons
No breaks, poor pay, long work hours, no concern for employees
Stepping stone. That's all
Occupational Medicine Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 24, 2016
The job is an excellent stepping stone for transitioning into a better place of employment. The benefits are very expensive and the pay is fair. Training is pretty much a sink or swim situation, which lasts about a good week. Holiday pay is taken from your PTO, so there's no paid holidays. Employess do receive a Christmas bonus of $200 and the corporate office employees are treated to a Christmas party at a nice hotel. The work place environment is pretty great. Management and leadership needs to be trained on managerial skills.
Pros
Christmas Bonus, Nice work place environment, decent pay and a stepping stone.
Cons
Upper management, lousy benefits, micro managing, poor leadership all across the board
AFC Review
Patient Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALJune 21, 2016
My experience at American Family Care wasn't as great as I expected it to be. For one, you work a 10 hour shift every shift and you are not allowed to have a break. "Eat when you can" is the loophole they use to avoid giving anyone a break. AFC is open every day, 8-6, no exceptions....even holidays. AFC doesn't believe in letting their employees off for Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas Eve...no family time. The pay is terrible.. $8.00/hr. That's fast food wage. And no way to make more money. Just stuck at that high school, fast food wage.
If there is any harassment...don't expect it to be handled. You are told to get over it because "you are here for the patients, not each other".
It's a job
X-ray Technologist/Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Opelika, ALJune 9, 2016
Little consistency with management. Few co-workers actually CARE about their jobs and their responsibilities. The pay doesn't warrant the job description. There is never a dull moment with my co-workers. Some of them make the day really fun and entertaining.
Low pay and under appreciated
Patient Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 3, 2016
Working for this company in the short time that I did was okay at first but then once they learned that I had experience in other departments, they used me. Never offered me any extra pay and they were very strict about overtime. You hardly had time to eat lunch between running the front desk and answering the phone and covering for the managers that couldn't do their own job. There were many times that I stayed hours after we had already closed because we still had patients because the doctors were so slow. And then you are the one that gets yelled at and gets the complaints because the doctor isn't doing his job fast enough. The company offers awful insurance. It's not affordable at all. All in all it was good because I learned stuff I didn't know, but I wouldn't work there again unless I absolutely had to.
Pros
Learn new things
Cons
No breaks
OK for experience
Medical Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 31, 2016
This company is a joke, the pay is awful as well as staff being overworked. They promised incentive bonus ( PS Awards) goals were nearly impossible to meet. Some of management did help but majority didn't have a clue. As far as advancement, they would rather hire outside the company then promote from within. Long story short don't waste you time. High turnover.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Low pay, long hours, no breaks
Do not apply to this company!
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GAMay 24, 2016
Initially, I was more than excited to get this job especially because it was my first job in the medical field while still in college. However, now if I could give this company zero stars, I would. I'm not sure who is exactly running AFC, but it is a complete joke/ disaster! Management acts eager to train in the interview process, but when hired the clinic manager didn't even have a clue on how to run the front desk. Only concerned about times, but will not help to speed up the process. Very unprofessional, manager- gossiped the entire shift and notified staff of a coworker being fired on my first day before it even occurred! I was hired as a lab tech, and only had 1 full day of training then was left to figure everything out on my own. Left to run tests, vitals, give medication to patients via IM injections. Yet I was not properly trained for anything. Every time I asked manager for help she told me to ask my coworker (for whom the entire clinic relied on to function) instead. Thrown into different locations at least an hour away during training period. Every one there had only been working for a couple of months, no one had even worked for at least a year. The amount of pay is just plain shameful compared to the amount of work and stress!

Only good thing good about working there is interacting with patients and understanding coworkers!
Pros
Nice coworkers, patient interaction
Cons
Underpaid, Terrible Management, Lack of training, Overworked
Great starting job for hands on medical training.
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/PATIENT RELATIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Fairhipe, ALMay 9, 2016
Great starting job for hand on medical training. Easy to advance with this company. The hardest part of the job is adjusting to different doctors styles of practicing.
Do not work here!!
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALMay 6, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE.. It's 10+ hours per day, 4 days a week, and every other weekend.. they do not like to pay overtime, so some weeks you get sent home early if you are getting close to going over your 40 hours for the week.. The pay - Seriously, it isn't that much more than minimum wage and for a skilled trade!! I worked here for 6 1/2 months and after a death in my family I was harassed by the Clinic Manager to leave!!..
Pros
I learned a lot.. now to move on to a good place!!
Cons
The Clinic Manager :(
Ok place to work needs improvements
LPN (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALApril 18, 2016
learned a lot at American family care, different skills, a variety of patients. Liked the teamwork environment . Lack of management and skill set among the employees hired. Income was not sufficient
Pros
diverse patients
Cons
15 min lunch break, very low pay
AFC Montclair
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irondale, ALApril 7, 2016
Good experience but very demanding work. They're understaffed and expect those who are competent to pick up the slack of those who aren't. Management is a joke, they can't keep anyone there to manage the place. They are not understanding at all when it comes tiramisu emergencies or sick children. They expect you to drop your sick child off on whomever and come into work anyway, the manager doesn't care about anyone but herself. The main Doctor there is slightly demanding but as long as you do your job, and do it correctly, she's fine. I'd recommend her over any doctor I've been to lately, just wouldn't let the little Asian lady give me a shot or anything. She is very rough with patients and I've personally seen her hit sciatic nerves on more than one occasion. Both X-ray techs are great as are the lab staff. The MAs I worked with are just incompetent, rude and obviously don't care about their patients. The pay is HORRIBLE, I have over 10 years experience and was insulted by the pay of 9.75 an hour. I only lasted 6 months, I couldn't take the disrespect from management and coworkers anymore. Like I said, the main Doctor is wonderful, it's a shame she is working in a place like this.
Pros
Great doctor, experience
Cons
Picking up the slack of lazy coworkers, management and pay
learned a lot
Certified Medical Asst/Lab Asst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 7, 2016
triage patients collect labs assist with all in office procedures start IV EKGs PFTs injections PA for medical procedures and medication patient callbacks etc
Pros
can use all your skills
Cons
pay
Bad company
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, ALApril 4, 2016
Company is terrible they only hire managers with no experience. Company needs to be closed. The office manager don't know anything about what she is doing. Office wait is long for patients don't apply here!
Pros
Cons
Low pay management
Great Experience
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 22, 2016
Great co-workers, team work was no options. Every day there is something new to learn. A typical day is busy you never know how many patients you are going to see so there is a good Challenge.
Pros
Team- Work
Cons
PAY
Do not reccomend
Back Office MA (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, GAMarch 4, 2016
This company would be great for someone who did not go to school to be a medical assistant to work for. They have a lot to teach you however it will be an own your own basis without proper guidance. A lot of on the spot emergency situation training. Pay is no where near competitive for what a medical assistant pay should be especially in an urgent care situation. Work setting is not ideal and you are lucky if you even get a lunch for the day. Shifts are 10-14 hours depending on how busy they are and what walks in the door. And yes I have experienced a 14 hour day with no lunch. We even had an employee pass out because of this before. Company believes its easier to replace you with someone with no experience and almost minimum wage pay than to compensate you for going the extra mile and being a example employee. Turn over rate is extremely high.
Pros
great to gain experience
Cons
pay, hours, no lunch, long shifts, bad management if any
Lack of management
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAFebruary 23, 2016
This job was a leaning experience and helped with communication skills. Minimal hours I had requested while applying for this position was not kept when hired. Lack of management is the biggest issue. I am a team player, I try to help others and there was not a lot of this here.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Benefits, Management, Hours, Pay
Long inconsistent work hours, low pay. Interference with family time.
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day: begins with clocking in by 7:45a.m.. Prepping for patient arrival. Doors open at 8 a.m.. Triaging patients, escorting them to exam room. Checking EMR for doctors orders and then carrying out those orders for treatment (X-rays, shots, breathing treatments, etc.). Eating lunch when possible. (Meal moment is what it's called).

What I learned: Cross-trained as a Medical Assistant, COC Drug Screening. We did a lot of those for trucking companies and other potential employers. DOT Physicals.

Management: the manager I worked with was not difficult. Tried to accommodate when possible for family emergencies, appointments, and other time off when needed.

Co-workers: Mostly pleasant. Complaining about the low pay and long hours. Stating that they were looking for something with better hours and more pay. Medical Assistant and front office positions have had high turnover rates. Those who left went to jobs with better pay and better hours. Some were just not good employees.

Hardest part of the job: the low pay and long hours are the most difficult. Some doctors are a lot slower than others. I have had 13+ hour days. Not because we were that busy, but because certain physicians are just SLOW. When I was hired, I was told that if I cross-trained as an MA, that I would receive a raise. I have yet to get it. I was told that I was at the top tier of my pay level after I trained. The raise that I did get after one year was very disappointing. Consistent hard work and reliability are not rewarded. Years of experience are not rewarded. Willingness
  more... to learn and execute new skills is not rewarded. The doors are not allowed to be locked until 6:00 p.m. no matter how busy or backed up we are. There have been instances where I got out at 9:00 p.m. There is not time for extracurricular activities or family life. Wellnes for employees is seemingly not promoted. The only holiday that the facilities are officially closed is Christmas. A lot of family time is lost. But not for the Corporate people and managers. Greed.

Most enjoyable: are the majority of patient interactions, and knowing without a doubt that I have done my job well despite whatever else may be occurring.
Pros
Starter job to be listed as "experience" on resume
Cons
Low pay, long hours
Work here at your own risk.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALFebruary 6, 2016
I lasted maybe two months, if even that, and I was out of there. It was like being imprisoned everyday. You work 10 hour days and rarely got a lunch break. If you did get a lunch break, you were stuffing your face like a cow trying to get back to work because you only had 15 min. to eat. The pay for a medical assistant is awful! My cousin made more than me being a shift leader at McDonald's. Pathetic! There's nothing positive about this place. The only thing remotely close to a positive about working here is the gain of experience, if you're new to the medical field. Honestly, when you weigh everything out though, it's really not worth it. You can just go somewhere else and get your feet wet in the medical field. Shortly after I started working there, I knew I made a big mistake. Leaving that place was the best decision I've ever made. I WILL WORK AT WALMART BEFORE I EVER CONSIDER GOING BACK THERE! Stay away from this place.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
PAY, no breaks, co workers, benefits, hours

2.9