American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
fun
Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZSeptember 20, 2017
fun, relaxed, great agent competitive rates, great meeting new peoplw and helping them learn about insurance that they may have not known in the past ..
Awesome place to work
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 19, 2017
It is a fast-paced call center environment. I learned how to be empathic towards customers in their time of need. The workplace culture is great! Would recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Great PTO
Cons
High stress calls
Great Environment for Career Development
Licensed Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Ava, MOSeptember 19, 2017
I have loved working for American Family Insurance. It has been a great entry-level position to help me build my experience level. I learned how to communicate well with customers when they had questions about their policy or issues with their claim.
Very stressful
Auto Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WISeptember 18, 2017
They make you think it's going to get better, high turnover many people left, they did not plan for the turnover so had to wait for replacements mean time, you were over worked more...it was just insane working expectations....
Pros
Its a job if you have to take it be aware of the stress
Cons
Unbelievable expectations its like working in a factory, you just keep getting claims with no real time to help the insured....its horrible
Not a profitable opportunity
(Agent-In-Training) (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GeorgiaSeptember 18, 2017
The typical daily duties, varied, based on what was the owner/agent's business goals. Primarily, providing insurance quotes and addressing service issues.
Pros
opportunity to learn what it takes to run an agency
Cons
extremely high turn over
Absolutely hated this job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hermantown, MNSeptember 15, 2017
If your into sales great. If not this job is certainly not for you. I had to call people to try to sell insurance who were angry they were being contacted and when i wasn't doing that it was stressful dealing with all the claims and legality that went with them.
Cons
Good place to start out!
Office Manager/Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 13, 2017
If you do not work for American Family Insurance Corporation you do not receive any benefits at all. You are either an agent or office staff that is contracted and there are ZERO medical benefits. That is the only negative thing I could find.
Pros
Meet lots of people
Cons
No benefits at all.
Insurance
Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 12, 2017
I was only employed for a short amount of time. The work was challenging and good training was provided. The culture was fast paced yet the job provided good work life balance.
Good company if you're not looking to advance in your current position.
Property Field Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2017
American Family is a good(not great) place to work, benefits are good and pay is above industry average; however, if you're looking for a place to advance your career this is not the place.

Advancement opportunities are few and far between unless you live close to one of the main offices. It appears as if they want career adjusters and are not that committed to helping you grow.
Pros
Benefits, competitive pay
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Career Advancement
Your opinion & imput is not valued at all
Physical Damage Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2017
Their policies do not make sense & when you question them, you are considered a trouble maker. You are expected to do what they say & just be quiet. You are not valued as a thinking person.
AMFAM Colorado doesn't appreciate their employees
Casualty Claim Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 7, 2017
A big office with lots of opportunity to be micromanaged from multiple levels of management. Direction is confusing and at times not clear.
Branch managers will find those that they do not like and press management to find ways to squeeze them out.
Depends on which agent you work for.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTSeptember 4, 2017
Amfam is a solid company with a lot of great people. Competitive rates on home, auto, & life. I write new business so I made lots of calls and prepared tons of quotes each day. I learned a lot about how insurance works.
My boss offers no benefits.
Pros
Some free lunches
Cons
no benefits
Great Job Experience but not much advancement
IS Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, ILSeptember 4, 2017
I enjoy working for American Family but I would prefer if they would get rid of the contractor to full time employee ratio restriction. I feel if that you have a good employee they should feel that they have a chance to stay with a company and advance after showing that they are a reliable employee. The management is great and they are always very caring and understanding when issues arise at home and in someone's personal life. Great experience but unfortunately opportunities are limited.
Good starting point to becoming an Agent
Agent/Owner (Former Employee) –  Kuna, IDSeptember 3, 2017
I learned how to manage a business and all the ups and downs that come with it. For me the loss of time with my family was not worth the opportunity. If you dont have little ones at home this could be a great career path.
Claim Scanning Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 1, 2017
I enjoy working here the culture and diversity is great. There are walking paths outside and benefits are great. Management is improving to here their employees better.
Pros
mentors, classes, support to help with careers
Cons
The Company was great! I worked for an Agent.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOSeptember 1, 2017
The company is a great company. I enjoyed working there. I worked for an agent. I would answer the phones and help sell insurance. As well as help with billing questions.
Pros
I was able to work from home.
Cons
High preasure
Good
QA LEAD (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 31, 2017
Worked as a QA test lead in EDI Electronic Data interchange supporting various stake holders . Used to follow Agile methodology techniques & tools .Good working at this company. learnt new tools in agile techniques . worked in TDM,, Guide wire Policy Center .
American Family Experience
Personal Lines Operations Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 30, 2017
American Family Insurance offers great experiences. While there, I developed professionally, and definitely would recommend trying to get a job there.
Had own office in Henderson
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 29, 2017
Loved being an Insurance Agent, but the number one thing they wanted you to sell was auto insurance. We were not competitive at all so it was impossible. All other lines we were competitive in. Fellow employees were nice and professional.
Great team, great place to work, advancement opportunities are always available. Perks like hotel discounts, rental cars and airfare.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAAugust 26, 2017
Just apply if you are interested. Each agency sets their own pay for you, so if one doesn't work, apply to anothet one. Also many people beleive that you have to have your license before they hire you and that is not true. They will hire you and then pay for you to be licensed if you are the right canidate. Each agency badically set their own rules.
Pros
Great perks, discounts, and benefits.
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to talk to as many people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval