American Family Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

American Family
Claims Customer Service, Senior Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2016
Worked Claim Call Center
Learned how Level 1 claims can be Handled
Management Was a normal corporate
Co -workers were great helpful
Hardest part was not being able to solve claim right then
Was happy when I turn a negative to a postive
Benefits
Cons
Call Center was tough to arrange my Home schedules
American Family
Planning and Application Performance Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 22, 2016
Great place to intern. They teach you and involve you in many different areas not just your intern area. I really enjoyed my summer there.
Pros
focus on team environment and learning
Very pleased.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 22, 2016
All agencies are different. Our agency is very happy upbeat and we ladies love each other. We've become very good friends! Our agent is very responsible and kind. He's a good boss to work for!
Helping others on a daily basis
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Villa Park, ILAugust 18, 2016
The most enjoyable is being able to help someone in time of loss. A typical day at work is making sure very customer receives best service possible and is taken care of
Very freindly work enviroment
Personal Lines Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 18, 2016
Employees are very helpful and friendly, and most of management is also. The workflow is high. There is a lot of interdepartmental work, but the varying departments do not work together or communicate well.
Fast Pace and Challenging
Claims Auto Representative (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 17, 2016
Great Team and environment. Call center environment with little room for environment. You are on the phone from the time you clock in till you get off. Great team and everyone seem to get along well. Awesome committees to be a part of
Great knowledge at this company
Senior Casualty Desk Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85034August 16, 2016
Hard to move up; very political but ok to work at. The benefits included the in house cafeteria, the underground parking, the bonus when the company was profitable.
Great Company
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 7, 2016
I interned as a 1st party auto claim adjuster and after college was hired for casualty claims. It did not take long to see that I would not be happy in that role. I left for an underwriting job.
Working in an agency
Consumer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 6, 2016
Being a Consumer Sales Representative (CSR) can be a really great job, but I think it all comes down to the agency you work for, or start at. I have been with the company for a few months now, and everyone is really nice and caring. From a culture standpoint it is a great company. I have met some people in "higher up" positions and after only meeting them once or twice I would say I feel completely comfortable reaching out to them for any help or advice.

The problem I have with this company is with the work in the actual agency. Most agencies are small so if you are used to working with alot of people and enjoy that culture the may not be for you. Also the pay can be very inconsistent because most of it is based off of commission. Some agencies close sales multiple times that of others so CSR's at one agency may be making a third of CSR's at a nearby agency. It really depends on where you are.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Inconsistent Pay, Small office, Lack of new Technology
Great work environment
Area Sales Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Broadview Heights, OHAugust 1, 2016
Unfortunately my position is being eliminated but I love the company.

Great benefits and mileage reimbursement. Great bonus package.

Great training resources with distance learning option.

Amazing company to work for!
Pros
Travel
Lack of trust and transparency
Claims Manager (Current Employee) –  St LouisJuly 31, 2016
Consultants were brought in to cut corners and save money. First line leadership is not empowered to make decisions, they are not trusted and everything is dictated from exec level. For example, leaders cannot review or rate their own employees, they must calibrate with director level and they must agree with your ratings. Metrics are typically inaccurate or non existent. Decisions are made from the top without consideration from the folks working the jobs. Transparency does not exist any longer. Company is following the Liberty Mutual model for the most part, and we have abandoned being "Customer Driven". Tenured/experienced employees are being pushed out for cheaper replacements, who do not have the skills to handle claims. Talk to your people who work the jobs day to day, listen to their input, it's the most valuable feedback you will ever receive.
Claims
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Madison WIJuly 31, 2016
Shift in culture and upper management. Cuts being made across the board so that execs can secure their 7 figure bonuses. Reduction in roles in the claim department, struggling to staff appropriately. Adjusters are drowning currently and morale is at rock bottom. Think about the impacts of your changes before implementing them. We are in a maddening vicious cycle of change, and continually end up back where we started.
Pros
For the most part, coworkers are friendly, cubicles are nice. Company message was originally for customers, and helping people.
Claims
Customer Care Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 30, 2016
Shift in culture and upper management. Cuts being made across the board so that execs can secure their 7 figure bonuses. Reduction in roles in the claim department, struggling to staff appropriately. Adjusters are drowning currently and morale is at rock bottom.Think about the impacts of your changes before implementing them. We are in a maddening vicious cycle of change, and continually end up back where we started.
Culture Changes
Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 29, 2016
Culture has changed to quantity over quality. Grind front line adjusters into the ground, churn and burn mentality has taken over. Droves of experienced adjusters have left and walked out tons of talent going to competing brands. Claims remain understaffed and focus on the customer is truly a dying brand
Pros
401k match and pension
Cons
Company is in a downward spiral
enjoy learning new skilll
Insurance agent (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, ILJuly 28, 2016
I enjoy coming to work in the morning and working with my clients, management was under a lot of pressure but I enjoy working with them, I didn't find anything to hard about the job, My most enjoyable part of this job was being able to help clients in their times of needs,
Ehhh
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 27, 2016
I came in with experience. I was really excited about working here.
The HR department is so unorganized that I did not have a login or access to anything for the first 2 weeks of training.

The training is for 3 weeks, and you won't learn too much.
2-3 people leave every week. You won't learn how to navigate through other systems BESIDES the system that you use.

Managers will re-assign files to you that haven't been touched since last year. I would think that they should step in until that point.

Management is so unorganized. Some are there because they genuinely care about the success of their employees. Others are there (I feel) for the paycheck.

They tell you to come to them for questions, but when you have a question, they make you ask a senior adjuster or look at the policy. Mind you, the senior adjusters have a lot on their plate already.

A lot of favorites, poor leadership skills, and too much gossip. The environment is very toxic. I believe Management thrives on office gossip as well. Yes, the pay is VERY nice, but it's not worth it.

There is no room for advancement, because everyone wants to leave.

My advice: Work for a bigger insurance company.
Pros
Great benefits, PTO
Cons
Poor management and poor work/life balance
Productive and professional work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAJuly 26, 2016
A typical day at work would be writing policies and doing payment reminder calls making sure the accounts are in good standing. I learned a great deal working there from selling policies, writing policies, and call handling for customer retention. The management there was awesome and they always made sure you had an understanding of what you were doing and all of the new rules the company would come out with. My co-workers and work environment was very peaceful and the workers were very helpful. We always worked as a team and got things done on time.
Pros
Everyday you learn something new.
n/a
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJuly 20, 2016
Insurance agents assistance, process payments, receptions duties/answering phone calls, filing scanning, face to face customer interaction
Competive Marketplace
Senior Field Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 11, 2016
12 hour workday
High expectations to deliver results
Flexible work life balance
No Further Education and Training Focus
Auditing your Co-worker / impacts merit increase
Understaffed
Hard working adjusters
Pros
Good experiences learning management expectation
Cons
workload
Customer Service Acct Executive (Current Employee) –  KansasJune 27, 2016
Good work/life balance, good management team, employee positive,
Team atmosphere, make your own schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location