American Family Insurance

American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

No work life balance
Casualty Claims (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 4, 2016
The culture of this company has changed with new management. Excessive workloads, very high turn over. Poor leadership has resulted in very poor morale. The only way to keep up with the workload is to work a minimum of 50 hours/week.
Pros
Flex schedules and benefits
Cons
No work life balance. Terrible atmosphere to work in
No work life balance and no opportunity for advancement.
Casualty Claim Senior Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMarch 13, 2016
Great employees and co-workers!

Management does not understand requirements they are implementing and the time it takes to complete the new requirements.

Company has limited the opportunity for raises and advancement.

They do provide good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of work life balance
Fortune 500 Company with a lot to offer
Operations Senior Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 22, 2015
While working for American Family Insurance I gained knowledge within the industry and applied these skills to my everyday life. The staff and management showed compassion towards my work goals and my personal life and family. I enjoyed the everyday challenges of various tasks, departmental goals, policy changes, and client needs that continuously showed my success and eagerness to do my best.
Pros
Benefits, incentives, competitive wage, management
Cons
downsizing, budget cuts
Great atmosphere
Guidewire Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2016
Insurance company with a lot of lines of businesses
Great, diverse work culture
Multiple advancement projects and great future scope. Major competition for state farm.
Pros
great environment
Cons
management needs to judiciously fund projects
Lack of trust and transparency
Claims Manager (Current Employee) –  St LouisJuly 31, 2016
Consultants were brought in to cut corners and save money. First line leadership is not empowered to make decisions, they are not trusted and everything is dictated from exec level. For example, leaders cannot review or rate their own employees, they must calibrate with director level and they must agree with your ratings. Metrics are typically inaccurate or non existent. Decisions are made from the top without consideration from the folks working the jobs. Transparency does not exist any longer. Company is following the Liberty Mutual model for the most part, and we have abandoned being "Customer Driven". Tenured/experienced employees are being pushed out for cheaper replacements, who do not have the skills to handle claims. Talk to your people who work the jobs day to day, listen to their input, it's the most valuable feedback you will ever receive.
A good place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 7, 2015
A great environment for those who are eager to work. Benefits are great. A typical day at work is spent in meetings. Management is ok. Coworkers ok. Decent amount of red tape and politics but this is expected of a big company. Personal growth is up to the employee and how far personal ethics/integrity will allow/prevent growth and development.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Advancement slow
Working in an agency
Consumer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 6, 2016
Being a Consumer Sales Representative (CSR) can be a really great job, but I think it all comes down to the agency you work for, or start at. I have been with the company for a few months now, and everyone is really nice and caring. From a culture standpoint it is a great company. I have met some people in "higher up" positions and after only meeting them once or twice I would say I feel completely comfortable reaching out to them for any help or advice.

The problem I have with this company is with the work in the actual agency. Most agencies are small so if you are used to working with alot of people and enjoy that culture the may not be for you. Also the pay can be very inconsistent because most of it is based off of commission. Some agencies close sales multiple times that of others so CSR's at one agency may be making a third of CSR's at a nearby agency. It really depends on where you are.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Inconsistent Pay, Small office, Lack of new Technology
Great place to start a new career.
Licensed Agency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tyrone, GAFebruary 11, 2016
Great place to start a new career. Job,work balance, environment and compensation and benefits really all depend upon the Agent.
Pros
Great Career
Productive and professional work environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAJuly 26, 2016
A typical day at work would be writing policies and doing payment reminder calls making sure the accounts are in good standing. I learned a great deal working there from selling policies, writing policies, and call handling for customer retention. The management there was awesome and they always made sure you had an understanding of what you were doing and all of the new rules the company would come out with. My co-workers and work environment was very peaceful and the workers were very helpful. We always worked as a team and got things done on time.
Pros
Everyday you learn something new.
Not very much room for growth
Investigative Auto Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2016
It's not what you know, but who you know and if they like you. They could care less about your degree, work ethics and what you bring to the company. They do not care that you exceed all goals and have a very pleasant demeanor. What matters is if they like you or their manager friends like you that determines if you succeed into another position. The call center in Maryland Heights is very unorganized. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. There are no checks and balances in place. Upper management doesn't care about the culture. Family members are promoted faster than anyone else.
Fun and friendly place to work
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 23, 2016
A typical day consists of taking calls and assisting customers with their needs such as billing questions. I learned how to use multiple applications such as Apex, Billing Center, CIM, etc. I also attended classes to complete my Property and Casualty Insurance License. Was not in touch much with management and co-workers since the job requires us to be in cubicles. The hardest part of the job was not getting updated information on changes regarding customers bills. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to speak with a variety of customers with different situations regarding their bill and helping them solve their questions.
Stressful, volatile atmosphere with bad management.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Colby, KSSeptember 23, 2016
This was one of the worse jobs I have ever had. Management deliberately caused tension between co-workers, he was completely incompetent, would talk down to his all female staff as if they were stupid due to their gender in front of clients, even though he was unable to actually perform the basic duties himself to run his agency. He was unprofessional and blamed mistakes on his part on others. There were no benefits and low pay. You never knew what you were going to walk into on a daily basis.
Cons
No benefits, bad management, hostile environment
Claims
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Madison WIJuly 31, 2016
Shift in culture and upper management. Cuts being made across the board so that execs can secure their 7 figure bonuses. Reduction in roles in the claim department, struggling to staff appropriately. Adjusters are drowning currently and morale is at rock bottom. Think about the impacts of your changes before implementing them. We are in a maddening vicious cycle of change, and continually end up back where we started.
Pros
For the most part, coworkers are friendly, cubicles are nice. Company message was originally for customers, and helping people.
Good benefits, old management
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt - Business Strategy (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 28, 2016
Great work life balance but a lot of old management.

There is a lot of people that have worked there for a long long time and are very comfortable.
Ehhh
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 27, 2016
I came in with experience. I was really excited about working here.
The HR department is so unorganized that I did not have a login or access to anything for the first 2 weeks of training.

The training is for 3 weeks, and you won't learn too much.
2-3 people leave every week. You won't learn how to navigate through other systems BESIDES the system that you use.

Managers will re-assign files to you that haven't been touched since last year. I would think that they should step in until that point.

Management is so unorganized. Some are there because they genuinely care about the success of their employees. Others are there (I feel) for the paycheck.

They tell you to come to them for questions, but when you have a question, they make you ask a senior adjuster or look at the policy. Mind you, the senior adjusters have a lot on their plate already.

A lot of favorites, poor leadership skills, and too much gossip. The environment is very toxic. I believe Management thrives on office gossip as well. Yes, the pay is VERY nice, but it's not worth it.

There is no room for advancement, because everyone wants to leave.

My advice: Work for a bigger insurance company.
Pros
Great benefits, PTO
Cons
Poor management and poor work/life balance
Fun work place
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2016
My days consisted of quoting potential clients. Servicing company insured. I learned to be patient with everyone you deal with. Whether it be other agents, co-workers or insureds. The hardest part I've learned that you can't control company increases and letting the clients know was difficult at times because you got blamed for it.

I have to say that this was an excellent learning experience and my most enjoyable part was working with people and being able to educate them on how insurance works.
Pros
working with great staff
Cons
short breaks, and no benefits
Claims
Customer Care Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 30, 2016
Shift in culture and upper management. Cuts being made across the board so that execs can secure their 7 figure bonuses. Reduction in roles in the claim department, struggling to staff appropriately. Adjusters are drowning currently and morale is at rock bottom.Think about the impacts of your changes before implementing them. We are in a maddening vicious cycle of change, and continually end up back where we started.
Outstanding Mission, Vision, and Values
Agency Sales Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDOctober 6, 2015
I've worked at American Family Insurance for over 7 years in the same position. Before working at this company, I changed positions at least every 2 years and have never worked at one company for longer than 5 years. I love American Family because of the Leadership and Vision of the company. Every day is a new opportunity to show my value. I sincerely feel appreciated for the work I do.
Pros
Mileage reimbursements with competitive pay and benefits
Cons
Always something to do
Lots of customer interaction,
Office Manager/CSR (Current Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOSeptember 23, 2016
Very demanding job. Insurance customer can tend to be either quite needy or demanding. I enjoy the people I work with and for. Sometimes find it difficult to balance empathy for customers with the restrictions of the job.
Pros
Nice co-workers, good boss
Cons
Customer complaints daily about things that are totally out of my control, like premium increases or cancellations due to non-payment.
Good work place
Agent In Training (Licensed Sales Representative) (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 17, 2016
Good company, good management. Pay was good, considering it was an entry level job. Room to move up. Would definitely recommend.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location