American Family Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

No work life balance and no opportunity for advancement.
Casualty Claim Senior Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMarch 13, 2016
Great employees and co-workers!

Management does not understand requirements they are implementing and the time it takes to complete the new requirements.

Company has limited the opportunity for raises and advancement.

They do provide good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of work life balance
No work life balance
Casualty Claims (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 4, 2016
The culture of this company has changed with new management. Excessive workloads, very high turn over. Poor leadership has resulted in very poor morale. The only way to keep up with the workload is to work a minimum of 50 hours/week.
Pros
Flex schedules and benefits
Cons
No work life balance. Terrible atmosphere to work in
Fortune 500 Company with a lot to offer
Operations Senior Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 22, 2015
While working for American Family Insurance I gained knowledge within the industry and applied these skills to my everyday life. The staff and management showed compassion towards my work goals and my personal life and family. I enjoyed the everyday challenges of various tasks, departmental goals, policy changes, and client needs that continuously showed my success and eagerness to do my best.
Pros
Benefits, incentives, competitive wage, management
Cons
downsizing, budget cuts
Great atmosphere
Guidewire Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 31, 2016
Insurance company with a lot of lines of businesses
Great, diverse work culture
Multiple advancement projects and great future scope. Major competition for state farm.
Pros
great environment
Cons
management needs to judiciously fund projects
A good place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 7, 2015
A great environment for those who are eager to work. Benefits are great. A typical day at work is spent in meetings. Management is ok. Coworkers ok. Decent amount of red tape and politics but this is expected of a big company. Personal growth is up to the employee and how far personal ethics/integrity will allow/prevent growth and development.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Advancement slow
Great place to start a new career.
Licensed Agency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tyrone, GAFebruary 11, 2016
Great place to start a new career. Job,work balance, environment and compensation and benefits really all depend upon the Agent.
Pros
Great Career
Outstanding Mission, Vision, and Values
Agency Sales Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDOctober 6, 2015
I've worked at American Family Insurance for over 7 years in the same position. Before working at this company, I changed positions at least every 2 years and have never worked at one company for longer than 5 years. I love American Family because of the Leadership and Vision of the company. Every day is a new opportunity to show my value. I sincerely feel appreciated for the work I do.
Pros
Mileage reimbursements with competitive pay and benefits
Cons
Always something to do
Good benefits, old management
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt - Business Strategy (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 28, 2016
Great work life balance but a lot of old management.

There is a lot of people that have worked there for a long long time and are very comfortable.
Fun work place
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 14, 2016
My days consisted of quoting potential clients. Servicing company insured. I learned to be patient with everyone you deal with. Whether it be other agents, co-workers or insureds. The hardest part I've learned that you can't control company increases and letting the clients know was difficult at times because you got blamed for it.

I have to say that this was an excellent learning experience and my most enjoyable part was working with people and being able to educate them on how insurance works.
Pros
working with great staff
Cons
short breaks, and no benefits
Great company
Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 10, 2015
They care about employees. Strive to be the best. New systems coming soon. Hopefully to streamline processes. Lots of opportunity for advancement and movement.
Benefits
Cons
Work load
Great co-workers but no advancement opportunity
Licensed Agency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 14, 2015
Job security is a concern because of decreased business. We currently have too many employees and not enough work to go around.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No health benefits
Great Company
office manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 30, 2015
A typical day st work at American Family Insurance:

leadership
team management
great co-workers willing to work as a team
The most enjoyable part of the job was its flexibleness
Hardest part of the job was dealing with unhappy customer who wasn't too often.
I learned that the work environment can teach you many things about self as well as provide real life experiences which enable one to grow in other areas outside of the work place.
great work enviroment, and co workers were awesome.
marketing (Former Employee) –  Security, COAugust 12, 2015
well my typical day at american family was very busy with phone calls and appointment settings for the agent in the office. I managed our clients insurance policies through scheduled appointments or over the phone. I spent a small portion of the day dealing with billing issues and then just customer service like making our customers understood their policies and filing claims in the event of claim worthy circumstances. My co-worker was a great guy he always helped with my work loads and understood the situations that we had to deal with every day. The hardest part of this job was the agent in the office was at the end of his career and did not want to do what was needed to do by an agent, so my co-worker and I tried to maintain our customers needs to the best of our abilities. I loved the customers that we had, I have continued to keep in touch with a few of them after I left and I enjoy the kind things that they would say about us during our time there.
Pros
we could take time off with out much notice.
Cons
no benefits
Good work place
Agent In Training (Licensed Sales Representative) (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 17, 2016
Good company, good management. Pay was good, considering it was an entry level job. Room to move up. Would definitely recommend.
Don't get injured
Commercial Farm/Ranch Senior Field Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 19, 2016
This company has a history of terminating older workers who file workman's compensation claims. Even employees who have successfully been productive for over a decade are not assisted to remain on the job.
Pros
Minimal supervision while working.
Cons
No sense of loyalty by the employer to the employee.
Office management skills enhanced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJanuary 16, 2016
Responsibilities included database management, customer service, office management to include - but not limited to - opening/closing office daily, phone/inquiry management, case review with recommendations. I enjoyed learning office systems and making recommendations to enhance operational performance and increase the bottom line!
Busy work, great structure
File Clerk/Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Parker, COAugust 4, 2015
I enjoyed working for this insurance agency. The dynamics and structure created a great work environment and made me feel like I was accomplishing something useful. We always found a way to make even the angriest customers happy, which motivated me throughout each day. I learn a lot about professional socialization and customer service. This was extremely beneficial as I continued my career into mechanical engineering.
Pros
Great structure, Happy work environment.
Cons
Not many benefits.
High turnover of agents is company policy
Agent/Owner (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 23, 2016
Thousands of agents who built large successful agencies from scratch were abruptly cut off as a change in contract came. Dig deep do your research and hire a great lawyer to review any contract. Never trust the district managers words. The goal is to have you build the list of clients and take it away and leave you with nothing. 1099 treated as an employee. If they are willing to give you money up front there is always a catch. Business owners do not get paid salaries. Read the fine print. Contracts even say we can make changes to this contract for any reason at any time. Thus canceling out the entire contract at their will and discretion. There are large forums discussing this company find them first.
Property Claim Adjuster
Property Claim Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 21, 2016
This was a great job and allowed versatility with office and field work. I enjoyed interacting with clients and helping them in difficult times. Co-workers and management were great.
A great work environment with exceptional employees and management
Agent Assistant,Sales Specialist,License Producer (Current Employee) –  Wauconda, ILSeptember 24, 2015
I have much respect for American Family and love working there. However there is not room for advancement or a higher salary.
Pros
Great co-workers and clients
Cons
no advancement or pay raises