American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Typical and general Insurance company
Cashiers Support (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 20, 2017
input information and changes to pending check disbursements verified checks typed policy numbers on checks input amount into cash system completed deposit slips and answered telephone with computer database to answer questions.
Beware
adjuster (Former Employee) –  MidwestApril 20, 2017
I have been here for 20+ years & I quit because they treat employees like dirt. It is not worth the stress they put you through. You are disposable. The culture has changed dramatically over the last 2-3 years. It is open season on the front line field adjusters. They have large territories & claims are dumped on them especially when there are storms. 12 hour days are necessary to keep your head above water. Adjusters are required to issue a payment within 10.5 days of receiving the claim. If not, management will come down hard on them regardless how far you have to travel or even if there are legitimate reasons for a delayed payment. Your name will be on monthly reports regarding your time standards. Management will audit files quarterly & they look for any minor infraction to document & put it in your file. They also have a dept. that randomly calls customers & they evaluate the adjusters service. Their opinions are used against you & again, there are reports that show your ratings that are reviewed every week at your weekly team "huddle". The weekly "huddle" is used to display reports and show who is dragging the team numbers down. To keep our sanity, these weekly meetings were referred to "the weekly beatings will continue until moral improves".

A typical day at work will start around 7 am to 7 pm. Travel days would routinely be long in order to get as many inspections completed as possible. I usually would get home at 8 or 9 pm. It is difficult to do damage assessments because management will challenge your evaluation & make you to be cheap on the repairs. You will
  more... have to convince the customer that your estimate is correct & the contractor should do it for your price.

In short, you have to deal with constant conflict with management, customer & contractor. Some managers do not have a problem with throwing their subordinates under the bus.

Pay & benefits are good, it is your call to determine if the stress & anxiety is worth it. If you have a family, expect that they will take 2nd place to the Amfam customers.
Pros
Good benefits, work environment is better in NHQ or Regional offices.
Cons
If you work in the field as a claims adjuster, do not expect to have a personal life.
Use to be a really fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOApril 20, 2017
Super busy, very Stressful , not enough time to breathe!

Employees are not valued, workplace needs some positive changes and a new management structure. They use to really care about their employees.
fun place to work with people and always learning new things
Claims Customer Care Center Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 20, 2017
call center customer service
calls come in from inusureds and they report an accident

we direct them to an adjuster
we notate the account
set up rental car if needed or has it on the policy
roadside assistance
Temp loving Company
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 19, 2017
Very hard to get in, I know temps that have been working here hard for years that cannot get in. I do the same work as an Amfam employee for low pay and no benefits. CEO cant take a pay cut (currently makes 7 mill a year) we are overworked because they will not hire more employees
Pros
Good Managers
Cons
Low contracted pay for the same work
n/a
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 18, 2017
location was good
work was very interesting and i was able to learn many things
people over here are very friendly and has helping nature who joins newly to the company
Plenty of flexibility and ability to be creative in finding business.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILApril 17, 2017
Having an opportunity to work in the insurance industry can prove to be lucrative after many years of hard work. However, there must be a definite passion for insurance in order to make this career work.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Too much of the same kind of work. The work can become bland rather quickly.
Temporary postiiton
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2017
Great hours. Management works with your schedule. You have the option of a 30 or 45 min lunch which was nice. This was a position through a temporary agency so it didn't last very long
Was a great company to work for back in the day.
Physical Damage SR. Claims Field Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVApril 16, 2017
Over the 12 years I worked for them I had 15 managers and all were great except the last one that was very difficult to work for. He was judgemental and against women in the field. this led to us not getting along and ending my employment with them. The last BCM of our district spoke good words but did not stand up for his employee's. this was in 2016.
Great Employer
Senior Data Entry Processor (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOApril 14, 2017
This is a wonderful place to work, they don't hold you back and allow you to succeed. The company is great about paying you your worth based on the experience that you have gained. They offer many different schedules and are very flexible if needing to come in late/early or leave later or earlier than your normal work time.
Pros
Great place to work - very flexible
Cons

Want to know more about American Family Insurance?

Ask a question
Good benefits, decent management
Physical Damage Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COApril 14, 2017
Company is generally decent to work for. As long as they are fully staffed. Knowledgeable management. After losing many employees, they did not re-hire and work load was left to a few.
Pros
benefits, co-workers, knowledgeable management
Cons
work load
Do not care for call center work
Billing Care Center (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 12, 2017
I did not enjoy working in a call center or working second shift. You work less than an 8 hour day, but work every other weekend for the most part. The positive side of that is you have a day off during the week. Training was so-so, but the management were all super nice! During training they pay you to study to pass your property and casualty exams. The insurance benefits are great, but the job itself was not rewarding or pleasing at all.
Pros
great insurance benefits
Cons
It's a 24 hour call center
Excellent place to work.
G450 & G200 Flight Operations Captain - FAR 91 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 11, 2017
The company was great however Madison, WI (Dane county) can be a very hard place to live unless your like living in a socialist utopia. Please know what you are getting into before moving to the area.
Pros
Everything at the job.
Cons
Location of the job.
American Family Insurance offers employees the ability to grow professionally
Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NEApril 10, 2017
A growing and expanding company that is working hard to build its online presence. It is working towards building larger agencies and agencies with more than one location.
Very corporate environment that treats contractors like dirt
CONTRACTOR FOR KFORCE (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 31, 2017
Very corporate environment that treats contractors like dirt. I'm the only technical person in a Marketing department and I need to be in a technical environment
Mixed Bag - It depends if you are in an agency or a corporate employee
Licensed Insurance Representative (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAMarch 31, 2017
I can only speak from the agency perspective and working in an agency is really hard work with very little chance for advancement. Since agencies are their own businesses, you do not get the opportunities you get if you worked for AmFam corporate. Obviously, one can always apply for corporate jobs but there weren't a lot of corporate jobs with AmFam posted for my state of residence.
Its rewarding work, don't get me wrong. Insurance is very important and I take/took pleasure helping and educating people about insurance, whether they signed up with me or not. I believe American Family has a great company culture in the way they really do want to be a force for good in the community/world at large with the causes they support. However, as an employee in an agency, you really don't get to participate in any of that and it's all about the Agent/Owner and the options for agency staff are really limited. However, I do credit this experience to learning a lot about insurance and seeing how exciting, yes, exciting, the industry is. I am now pursuing a different trek in the insurance industry, but its still insurance because I see value in the industry. The industry is slow to change, but even in that slowness, there is no one size fits all answer in insurance and I like the challenge of that.Insurance has a reputation of being boring, but its anything but - its hard, detailed work that helps to put people's lives back together when they need it most.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Work-life balance, compensation
Life is what you make it
INSURANCE/ AGENT/ OWNER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2017
you can have plenty of free time if you want to fail. This job is for the zealous money maker that wants nothing but success. The company will surely reward you!!
Great company to work for.
General Manager/Licensed Representative (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for Amfam. The work home life balance was great. The employees for are very easy to work with as well. The compensation was also acceptable, if you are willing to work hard.
Work experience under pressure
Director of Customer Experience (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORMarch 27, 2017
My experience at American Family Insurance was beneficial in the sense that I gained a lot of experience in a professional atmosphere. However, ethically, it was one of the most negative experiences I have had.
Long, monotonous hours
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 25, 2017
Spent hours of cold calls and simple tasks. Agency owner was performing questionable tactics in order to gain further clients. Relationships between employees and agency owner was poor at best.
Cons
Poor compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location