American Family Insurance

American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Not an ethical workplace
Insurance Agent / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZSeptember 24, 2016
This may have been the worst job I ever had. Company is not ethical, my agent was incompetent. Software was horrible, still using the DOS system. Always felt I was misleading my customers.
Stressful, volatile atmosphere with bad management.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Colby, KSSeptember 23, 2016
This was one of the worse jobs I have ever had. Management deliberately caused tension between co-workers, he was completely incompetent, would talk down to his all female staff as if they were stupid due to their gender in front of clients, even though he was unable to actually perform the basic duties himself to run his agency. He was unprofessional and blamed mistakes on his part on others. There were no benefits and low pay. You never knew what you were going to walk into on a daily basis.
Cons
No benefits, bad management, hostile environment
Lots of customer interaction,
Office Manager/CSR (Current Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOSeptember 23, 2016
Very demanding job. Insurance customer can tend to be either quite needy or demanding. I enjoy the people I work with and for. Sometimes find it difficult to balance empathy for customers with the restrictions of the job.
Pros
Nice co-workers, good boss
Cons
Customer complaints daily about things that are totally out of my control, like premium increases or cancellations due to non-payment.
Very pleasant work environment.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 23, 2016
Felt like I was able to contribute positively, even though I only worked here for a relatively short time. Great boss, friendly clientele.
nice place to work
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2016
they are very family based and take the time to properl ytrain employees. Management is fair and unbiased. The environment is diverse, very diverse. The atmosphere is easy going and steady pace
Pros
good benefits, long lunch, flexible hours
Cons
Productive and friendly work enviornment
Missouri - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOSeptember 16, 2016
You never feel like today was the same day as yesterday. On a daily basis I learn about how much the people care for you there and how much they are willing to get to know you. The agent is one of the best managers, she always takes her word very seriously but is very sweet and caring.
excellent work environment
Senior .NET Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 15, 2016
the company and the ambience was too good to work there..........had a good company of people.....
the hardest part would be to leave the job.
The most enjoyable part was that all of them were treated equal
Friendly environment to learn in
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portage, WISeptember 11, 2016
I got to work with 2-3 other employees and made marketing phone calls and talk with the customers to see if they were interested in the new product we were offering and sent out marketing letters.
Not very much room for growth
Investigative Auto Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2016
It's not what you know, but who you know and if they like you. They could care less about your degree, work ethics and what you bring to the company. They do not care that you exceed all goals and have a very pleasant demeanor. What matters is if they like you or their manager friends like you that determines if you succeed into another position. The call center in Maryland Heights is very unorganized. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. There are no checks and balances in place. Upper management doesn't care about the culture. Family members are promoted faster than anyone else.
Pay
Casualty Claim Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNAugust 31, 2016
Pay could be much better. They are excellent with family life and understanding sick kids, etc.
Pay could be closer to other insurance companies.

Want to know more about American Family Insurance?

Ask a question
Great benefits
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 30, 2016
Worked in sales and service
Call center was not a great environment
High stress and little appreciation
Great benefits
possibility for movement within company
American Family
Claims Customer Service, Senior Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 22, 2016
Worked Claim Call Center
Learned how Level 1 claims can be Handled
Management Was a normal corporate
Co -workers were great helpful
Hardest part was not being able to solve claim right then
Was happy when I turn a negative to a postive
Benefits
Cons
Call Center was tough to arrange my Home schedules
American Family
Planning and Application Performance Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 22, 2016
Great place to intern. They teach you and involve you in many different areas not just your intern area. I really enjoyed my summer there.
Pros
focus on team environment and learning
Very pleased.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 22, 2016
All agencies are different. Our agency is very happy upbeat and we ladies love each other. We've become very good friends! Our agent is very responsible and kind. He's a good boss to work for!
Helping others on a daily basis
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Villa Park, ILAugust 18, 2016
The most enjoyable is being able to help someone in time of loss. A typical day at work is making sure very customer receives best service possible and is taken care of
Very freindly work enviroment
Personal Lines Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 18, 2016
Employees are very helpful and friendly, and most of management is also. The workflow is high. There is a lot of interdepartmental work, but the varying departments do not work together or communicate well.
Fast Pace and Challenging
Claims Auto Representative (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 17, 2016
Great Team and environment. Call center environment with little room for environment. You are on the phone from the time you clock in till you get off. Great team and everyone seem to get along well. Awesome committees to be a part of
Great knowledge at this company
Senior Casualty Desk Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85034August 16, 2016
Hard to move up; very political but ok to work at. The benefits included the in house cafeteria, the underground parking, the bonus when the company was profitable.
Great Company
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 7, 2016
I interned as a 1st party auto claim adjuster and after college was hired for casualty claims. It did not take long to see that I would not be happy in that role. I left for an underwriting job.
Working in an agency
Consumer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 6, 2016
Being a Consumer Sales Representative (CSR) can be a really great job, but I think it all comes down to the agency you work for, or start at. I have been with the company for a few months now, and everyone is really nice and caring. From a culture standpoint it is a great company. I have met some people in "higher up" positions and after only meeting them once or twice I would say I feel completely comfortable reaching out to them for any help or advice.

The problem I have with this company is with the work in the actual agency. Most agencies are small so if you are used to working with alot of people and enjoy that culture the may not be for you. Also the pay can be very inconsistent because most of it is based off of commission. Some agencies close sales multiple times that of others so CSR's at one agency may be making a third of CSR's at a nearby agency. It really depends on where you are.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Inconsistent Pay, Small office, Lack of new Technology

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location