American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 22, 2017
The negative reviews about this company are true. Recent upper management changes have led to a culture that does not care about it's employees, rather, how much money they can make. The managers are too busy with meetings to be there for their employees and the branch manager level and up are so out of touch with how to handle claims they are ineffective. They have created a hostile negative environment. It's all about who you know not what you know, nor how well you do your job.
Pros
Benefits, flex schedule
Cons
Bad management, negative environment, high turnover, workload, nepotism
wonderful people to work for very nice
Appiontment Setter / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Troy, OHJune 22, 2017
very pleasant office work. Quiet and clean. Offered a work out room.
Worked calling clients and setting up appointments. Bosses were very polite, and kind.
Pros
pleasant office, nice clients, nice boss, good pay
Cons
need full time and they only offer part time with no insurance then
Busy agency with not a lot of training
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  OregonJune 21, 2017
Working in independent agency is unique in that you don't get the benefits of working for a large company while still technically being under a large company - no standardized training, few benefits, and no real resource for HR concerns.
Upside is that with so few people in the office, making friends with coworkers is easy.
Good Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIJune 21, 2017
Personally had my own auto claim with them and the service was good. had my deductible returned back to me right way so I know they jumped on the other party ASAP.
Great Company and Management
Support Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at AMFAM, the people were nice and management was very supportive and would assist you with any training or help needed. I really liked my co-workers and they were good hearted hard working people.
Pros
Great Work Atmosphere
Cons
Travelling from Beloit to Madison takes a toll on you
quite place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2017
It was a nice place to work. Just depends on where you work, i worked around the asian community so it was kinda thought to understand at times. They were very flexible with hours and you did what you got paid to do, so $9.00 was a good starting pay.
Pros
patient
Cons
area
Good Manager, slow-paced office.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 16, 2017
I was a part time office assistant for 6 months. It's a good place to work, but being part time and not licensed was boring. The office manager and agent were both very kind and relaxed with me. They were greatly impressed with the work I did, and let me know in a constructive way when I did something incorrect. A big part of my position was dealing with billing and setting up yearly reviews, so there was a lot of customer contact.
Pros
Able to take time off when needed
Cons
Poor compensation
Very fast paced, good people, terrible structure and gray area about benefits.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 15, 2017
The people are nice and personable, but they always struggled with employee levels and overload on work due to terrible staffing levels and turnover rate. They promised certain benefits and I never received any time off or paid vacation time. During my pregnancy and the time I missed they docked me pay when I had no choice but to go to the doctor. And they didn't have a good chain of command communication.
Pros
Cons
A lot of things
Customer service gives you opportunity to assist and help with trust and good services.
Customer Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2017
The company was a good company in the past.
Later in the year,there were a must be # 1 . There was alot of training and training which then you were away from the phone.
Pros
To many managers that were not train to assist.
Cons
Short breaks, not enough employees to take calls.
Amazing company and people
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MNJune 14, 2017
You will not find better people/agents or a better work environment than American Family Insurance. They make sure you're trained properly and also motivated.
Good environment
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  La Porte, INJune 14, 2017
It has a great work environment. They play the radio (not loud, but at a good volume) and everyone seems to enjoy that. They know how to make their clients smile and enjoy their experience when they come to pay or get insurance.
Agent was not easy to work for
Licensed CSR/Licensed Office Manager (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KS 67042June 14, 2017
Agent I worked for did a lot of illegal things. From sleeping with her married customers to showing accounts paid when then were not.
It was a demanding job and could be done with ease if the agent was nt a bit mental and deceitful.
it was a well balanced place to work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bolivar, MOJune 12, 2017
This was a fast pace office that was very busy which was nice cause it made the day go by fast which is something that i enjoy about anywhere that i work
Pros
busy office
Cons
having to make cold sales calls
Okay for the most part
Computer Services Tech II (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 12, 2017
Ok for the most part. Limited opportunity to work your way up. Lack of management in some respects. Sometimes long hours, travel, and long way from home some nights.
bad agent owner made for bad experience.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 12, 2017
My local agency is what is throwing me off. the owner of the agency doesn't care about his employees let alone his customers. never calls them back which in turn made the employees look bad. never treated them right. called the company about things agent was doing that were illegal and the company just gave him a slap on the wrist.
Great place to work with amazing management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJune 8, 2017
I became licensed to sell property and auto insurance. Spent my days selling policies to potential clients. Strived to make my monthly quota of policies .
Pros
paid time off, quarterly bonuses, great coworkers
Cons
very hard to sell policies over phone
Fast paced with ability to learn a lot
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, WIJune 6, 2017
I found that my time with American Family was spent learning new skills that I will surely take with to my next job. I focused much of my time on customer relations and this proved beneficial to the Agent and her success.
Contractors not respected
Contract Programmer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 2, 2017
American Family let a bunch of contractors go recently, some of which were with the company for 15 years or more! It may be an okay place to work if you are an employee but be leary if you're a contractor!
Great company
Agent in Training (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 2, 2017
American family is a great company that I enjoyed working for during my stint there. The people were great and I learned a lot about what it takes to work as a professional. The industry was not for me.
Great company
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WisconsinMay 30, 2017
American Family is a great company. Reasonable rates and loyal to both their customers and employees. As an employee, I was able to grow within the company. There are lots of opportunities to grow.
Pros
Reliable
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location