American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

CUT throat
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2017
Work long hours expect to always have all requirements increased. There is a class action lawsuit currently for the way they treat agents. Beware, of how they will treat your clients.
CLAIMS CARE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 14, 2017
Love this job and the benefits. You can always count on someone to help you. They try there's best to find different ways to make sure you don't get over whelm with the job.
Great Company Overall Very Poor Agent to Work for.
Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MOAugust 14, 2017
The company is still a great company, however the agent I worked for turned out to be very shady and mean. Just make sure you always check your bills when they come in people.
Great Culture and Communication
AGENCY SALES MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILAugust 10, 2017
Great Company! Loved my job! Great vision and communication from Management to Agents. Many learning opportunities. Helpful managers and peers and THE BEST Agents!
Casualty Claim Manger (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 10, 2017
On going training
Management was approachable
Inventory levels were manageable
In house attorneys in place to assist with litigated claims
Focus on home life, work balance
Pros
the people
not a good job
Owner/Agent (Former Employee) –  OregonAugust 10, 2017
they promise that every agent will make at less $60000 per years, however does not matter how hard you work you will never bring home that much or close to it. I start out with 9 agent, we attend the same training, after two years I was the only one left. I work night and day, I put at less 10-12 hours a day. I went to all kind of event to drum up business. I mad good enough income to hire my assistant. I was very happy that my effort pad off. Then the company desired to cancel all of the contractor policy holder. I was sock because most of my policies holder are contractor. After that my income was less then my assistant. Average less then $10 per hour.
I learned how to network and keep open communication.
Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 8, 2017
Insurance agents positions are not for the weak. There are many opportunities to help make sure that people will not lose everything that they have worked hard in case there is a loss. It is extremely rewarding to have a client come back and thank me for encouraging them to purchase the correct amount of insurance. Life insurance is my specialty. I had a close relative pass away at a young age which made me very passionate to make sure that families are protected.
Pros
Protecting people is rewarding.
Cons
Insurance agents have a bad reputation, so it is important to be honest to earn trust.
Productive place to work
Commercial Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOAugust 6, 2017
Typical day of production underwriting
Learned all facets of Commercial Underwriting
Management is typical
Culture can be clickish
Hardest part of the job was workload management
People and opportunity to learn from others
Pros
excellent cafeteria
Cons
Advancment limited
Management is never available for assistance
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 3, 2017
They set their employees up for failure and the management is never available for questions or assistance of any kind. The computer system goes down on a regular basis.
Ok Place to work
Customer Service Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Atkinson, WI 53538August 3, 2017
I like to work at the American Family office that I worked for. I was able to obtain my Property and casualty insurance license.
I was able to write auto policies which I really liked. I learned a lot about the insurance world.
Pros
Was able to obtain my Insurance license
Cons
Really not many
very cool place to work
Senior SQL BI Developer/SSIS/SSRS/COSMOS (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 2, 2017
very cool place to work. the work culture is good. the life is very peace full. we get plenty of time to work with the projects on what we have been assigned.
Great company
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Walker, MNAugust 1, 2017
American Family Insurance is a great company to work for. They provide insane amounts of training, and help you need is always at your fingertips. Highly recommended
Pros
A lot of training
productive, sales, small office
Sales Agent and CSR/Office Administration (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64113July 31, 2017
Loved working here, but sales is not a good match for my tenure or interests. Learned a lot about me and the sales side of an insurance agency. American Family is one of the best companies i have ever worked for.
Pros
flexable schedule, small office, great learning experience
Cons
no room to grow, move up or path of duties
An opportunity to work for a growing company
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJuly 31, 2017
Would like to work for an agency with stability and security. I started my insurance life in 1980 as a rater and worked my way up to underwriter. Went into the agency life to help and support our community in making sound insurance choices.
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 27, 2017
It's a good place to work but no benefits, it was to far from my home and everyday there was changes you learn how to do something one day and the next there was new changes
Na
Personal Lines Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 27, 2017
I was contracted. Good place to work if you can get over corporate politics. Managers and teams are better than awesome. Great atmosphere to work in..
Unfair policies
Brand and Content Specialist, Education Division (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 26, 2017
Favoritism and cronyism are the norms. Cut-throat environment created lots of back-stabbing. "Pay for Performance" adds to the negative environment. If you are making under the mean for your position, you are guaranteed a raise. If you are making above the mean, you will NOT receive a raise. If you are in the mean range, only then does pay for performance come into play. Plus, their HR will tell you "you are not employed there to be a good parent, you are employed to be able to afford being a parent." Thus issues that may arise concerning your family and/or their health are expected to be ignored during business hours, regardless of importance.
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 24, 2017
Great place to learn the insurance business and grow. Friendly place to work. Great incentives and competitive pay. A good place to build your skills.
Productive and fun workplace.
Senior Audit Reviewer Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJuly 24, 2017
Very fast-paced work environment. Had to meet quota each month. Learned a lot about the insurance industry. Management played favorites. Still, enjoyed working there. Pay and benefits were great. . Didn't agree with quota system. Had to take shortcuts to meet quota, Great work environment.
Pros
Occasional free lunches and snacks; fun, young workforce; great benefits.
Cons
Heavy workload, quotas, political promotions; had to commute to work
American
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 18, 2017
As Manager and sales representative, I trained sales personnel in the various sales duties they would need to learn. Travel required for presentations of company policy to various southern cities. Travel required to present our products to new companies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location