American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Great job, divided work culture
Claims Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 16, 2017
People are extremely nice and thoughtful. The day-to-day work can be busy and hectic, but it is not complicated work most of the time. High-volume and fast-paced. The culture, unfortunately, is at times a little bit toxic. This is because of the drastic differences in treatment between "employees" and "temps". Temporary workers, while it is understandable that they will not receive the same benefits as full employees, are treated as second-class individuals overall. They are not given the same consideration as fellow employees for important office events and announcements, including those that would affect their jobs.
Pros
Great people, interesting work, never bored
Cons
Work-social class system, hard to advance
Companies Objective for customers is good.
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 19, 2017
American Family Insurance truly cares about providing excellent customer service. No matter how good a company is there is always room for improvement. I'm sure there are policies and procedures that can better assist adjusters with their time and work flow all of which is intense due to the volume of claims verses number of qualified adjusters. Company has great benefits. 401K and retirement. Resent College graduates looking to start a career should consider starting with this company.
Informatica Powercenter Administrator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 15, 2017
This company values and nurtures its employee's. Let's them have the freedom to grow and be creative.
The management encourages technical creativity.
The company values the family ethics and understand the importance of personal time and family.
Employees do get every other Friday off when they work 9 hours on a daily basis.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Needs to be strict in implementing processes
Very important industry
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 15, 2016
As an agent, the main focus of this position is to protect others with insurance products offered. Solutions for the needs of insureds is the responsibility of the agent. A continued education of products and industry changes is necessary. Customer service oriented individuals will find this a very fulfilling career.
Pros
Compensation determined by the agent. Autonomy. Building a business. Industry support and training.
Cons
Non ownership of the book of business.
Ehhh
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 27, 2016
I came in with experience. I was really excited about working here.
The HR department is so unorganized that I did not have a login or access to anything for the first 2 weeks of training.

The training is for 3 weeks, and you won't learn too much.
2-3 people leave every week. You won't learn how to navigate through other systems BESIDES the system that you use.

Managers will re-assign files to you that haven't been touched since last year. I would think that they should step in until that point.

Management is so unorganized. Some are there because they genuinely care about the success of their employees. Others are there (I feel) for the paycheck.

They tell you to come to them for questions, but when you have a question, they make you ask a senior adjuster or look at the policy. Mind you, the senior adjusters have a lot on their plate already.

A lot of favorites, poor leadership skills, and too much gossip. The environment is very toxic. I believe Management thrives on office gossip as well. Yes, the pay is VERY nice, but it's not worth it.

There is no room for advancement, because everyone wants to leave.

My advice: Work for a bigger insurance company.
Pros
Great benefits, PTO
Cons
Poor management and poor work/life balance
Enjoyed my time at the Agency
AGENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 3, 2016
I am very thankful for time at The Raja Mourey Agency Inc. with American Family. The staff was extremely kind and understanding.The Company culture was that of family first. I felt that the hardest part of my position was not not being given the opportunity to Market and sell our product in order to increase my overall income. As I was salary plus commission based compensation employee..
Pros
very nice people
Cons
no perks, benefits, or upside unless you are one of the inner circle
American Family Insurance
Office Admin (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNDecember 13, 2016
Great company to work for, great environment. A typical day would be get coordinates of properties that are insured and verify the condition and property for the american family agent. Maintain office facilities and utilities.

Fun employees, Great management, Established company that takes care of their employees.
Pros
Great Management, Great Culture
Cons
Need to be available to drive
Worked for an individual insurance agent
Team Director (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNMarch 11, 2017
Difficult to review the company as a whole as I worked for an individual insurance agent. Great agent with fresh ideas. From my experience American Family Insurance supports hard working self starters.
Pros
Flexible management, good hours, great agent
Cons
Poor compensation
Hard workers be careful!
Claims (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 16, 2017
I worked at American Family Insurance for almost 20 years. They don't like when you get in the 10-15 year range because you cost them money. You can work hard and have great reviews but they will try and find something wrong anyway. So basically you are expected to work to death just to keep up with the demands if you want to be a top performer. Than they will ask for more!

Some managers are great while other managers feel the need to keep you at bay. Not always the most ethical managers or company for those that support that.

There is a lot of restructuring and uncertainty on a regular basis. American Family Insurance is very top heavy and they cut from the bottom.
Cons
Poor work life balance; ethical concerns
Stressful, volatile atmosphere with bad management.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Colby, KSSeptember 23, 2016
This was one of the worse jobs I have ever had. Management deliberately caused tension between co-workers, he was completely incompetent, would talk down to his all female staff as if they were stupid due to their gender in front of clients, even though he was unable to actually perform the basic duties himself to run his agency. He was unprofessional and blamed mistakes on his part on others. There were no benefits and low pay. You never knew what you were going to walk into on a daily basis.
Cons
No benefits, bad management, hostile environment
Very fun work enviroment
Claims Assi (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 8, 2017
A typical work day was high energy.
I learned how to work as a team and collaborate.
Management was very driven.
Workplace culture was very business oriented.
The hardest part of the job was slowing down.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that days flew by.
Pros
Multiple outtings per year
Cons
None that i can think of
Not very much room for growth
Investigative Auto Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2016
It's not what you know, but who you know and if they like you. They could care less about your degree, work ethics and what you bring to the company. They do not care that you exceed all goals and have a very pleasant demeanor. What matters is if they like you or their manager friends like you that determines if you succeed into another position. The call center in Maryland Heights is very unorganized. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. There are no checks and balances in place. Upper management doesn't care about the culture. Family members are promoted faster than anyone else.
Good benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 18, 2017
Good benefits. Beginning to show signs of innovation, customer driven. Usually was a follower and is now a leader in the Insurance and innovation. Still have room for improvement.
Benefits
Working in an agency
Consumer Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 6, 2016
Being a Consumer Sales Representative (CSR) can be a really great job, but I think it all comes down to the agency you work for, or start at. I have been with the company for a few months now, and everyone is really nice and caring. From a culture standpoint it is a great company. I have met some people in "higher up" positions and after only meeting them once or twice I would say I feel completely comfortable reaching out to them for any help or advice.

The problem I have with this company is with the work in the actual agency. Most agencies are small so if you are used to working with alot of people and enjoy that culture the may not be for you. Also the pay can be very inconsistent because most of it is based off of commission. Some agencies close sales multiple times that of others so CSR's at one agency may be making a third of CSR's at a nearby agency. It really depends on where you are.
Pros
Work Life
Cons
Inconsistent Pay, Small office, Lack of new Technology
Great company to work for.
General Manager/Licensed Representative (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for Amfam. The work home life balance was great. The employees for are very easy to work with as well. The compensation was also acceptable, if you are willing to work hard.
Productive and fun workplace
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZFebruary 1, 2017
One of my first jobs, it was easy to learn and a great way for me to earn money while I was still in high school. They care about their employees. I didn't have full benefits as I was only part time.
Pros
Fun, competitive
Extremely competitive market
AIT- Agent In Training (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 30, 2017
They focus on selling home, auto, and life insurance. Its a never ending grind, corporate expects certain production levels each month. They are a credit based insurance company, if your prospect doesn't have great credit, probably not going to save them any money. Older agents are helpful and always willing to share what's made them successful. Its hard to beat State Farm in their home state and the dozens of other fly by night insurance companies in Chicagoland area.
Pros
Flexible hours, not obligated to be in office 40 hours a week
Cons
Not best pricing, commercial rates are not competitive
excellent company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAMarch 9, 2017
long hours but great working environment with great incentives front office associate to take calls & process payments & set appointments for CEO & insurance agents
American Family Insurance has helped shape who I am.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 4, 2017
Having worked both in the field and at corporate, I can attest that this company is "in it" for the right reasons. I have found that they greatly reward integrity and work ethic in the field, while also remaining transparent and highly supportive from a corporate level. I have heard from more tenured employees/agents that they wish they would have found Amercan Family Insurance earlier in their careers. I couldn't agree more and am grateful I found them as early as I did. This is my retirement plan!
Pros
Financial Support & Integrity
American Family is a great place to work
Senior Desk Property Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 14, 2017
I would recommend this company to anyone looking for employment. A typical day at work was always challenging and rewarding. The workplace culture was structured yet rewarding in the goals and tasks that you completed quarterly. The most enjoyable part of my job was customer service and explaining the insurance language and payments or denial letters. Education to our customers was very rewarding on a daily basis.
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
Far away from my family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location