American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Multiple line P & C Insurance Company
Office Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMay 27, 2017
A good 40% of a typical work day is spent marketing, prespecting,
lead generation, and cold calling for business.

Developed a good understanding of "packaging" of P & C insurance to meet the needs of most insurance clientele. Auto, home, umbrella, vacation home, boats, and motorcycles.

Management was supportive in a casual office work environment,
with great employee engagement and continuous training offered.
Pros
Working with the public, convenient work location, learning new things.
Cons
A lot of details, confusing regulations and laws, very competitive business.
Workplace atmosphere
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 27, 2017
Court filing, draft and answer discovery, legal research

Insurance and personal injury law

Poor

Uncomfortable

Friction between certain attorneys and managers and secretaries and paralegals. Little to no manager support.

As many people who worked there were a pleasure as many were a pain.
Nice place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 26, 2017
Learned alot about the insurance business. Answering phone taking payments, open and close polices. filing paperwork. filing accident claims and any other claims
Highly competitive insurance company
Director of Urban Marketing (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI, chicago, mineapolis, and clevelandMay 25, 2017
Built a district of 33 agents that sold all insurance products. Ran a variety of sales states, and built the urban marketing department from the ground up
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not enough time in the day to complete everything
Amazing Company to work for
Commercial Lines Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 25, 2017
Love working for American Family Insurance. Amazing company, boss and co workers. A great company to advance your career in insurance. I love the product that I was selling, and truly believe in them as a company.
Productive and quiet workplace
Agent Assistant/ Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 21, 2017
Arrive at 8:30 to open the office. Normally start in on lead calling for the agency to help customers save money on their auto/homeowners insurance. After that I follow up with recent customers I have worked with in the last week. I also multi task with inbound phone calls with payments, policy changes, and questions. Also market my business to get more potential customers for the future. As the day ends I usually follow up with the leads I had not yet been able to speak with.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Short breaks and very quiet atmosphere
good job but lacks advancement opportunity
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 20, 2017
Commute time is too long from where I live which effects work/life balance. Work is rewarding as it offers an opportunity to help people during stressful time.
Great learning and ineteracting with people.
Office Manager/Agent assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 18, 2017
Its a great place to learn new insurance concepts. There was a lot of public interaction which is always great and keeps you interested. Good and flexible working hours.
Working for American Family Insurance is great.
Life Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CO 80909May 16, 2017
I found that the company's intranet training was informative and beneficial, clear and concise, and gave a valuable statement of what was expected when working for American Family. My advice would be this: You should definitely choose to work for this company as the inherent culture is good and stable, but just as important is that you should carefully research the agencies to see which one will be the best fit for your personality.
Pros
Great company with longevity and stability.
Cons
You don't get any benefits other than the possibility of commissions.
Productive and easygoing work environment
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZMay 14, 2017
Typical work day for an accounts receivable clerk consisted of invoicing receivables, ensuring clients where made aware of existing invoices and following up on aging invoices.
IT Specialties taken upon my own terms.
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 10, 2017
Under the information system through contacting consumers of properties owning timeshares. Typically, I specialized in utilizing relationships building cliental by insuring proprietors rental and sales. Using marketing strategies like non-teleprompters, instead discuss real profit gains.
Pros
Experience in Financial mutual residuals
Cons
Status quo for information systems
AMFAM good company to work for
Field Claims Adjuster - Northern Illinois (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 10, 2017
The local claims management team was good to work for. They were flexible and cared about the adjusters, as long as you did your job well you were left alone no micro-managers here. On the down side pay was low, raises were small, and not much room for advancement.
Pros
Good local claims management team
Cons
low pay, small raises
Perfect company to build tenure and earn promotions
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMay 9, 2017
American Family was my first job out of high school. I then stayed with the company for twenty years. I was given a variety of opportunities and was promoted within the company.
good place to work
Sr. Business Analyst/ Contractor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 9, 2017
It is a good place to work. Mixed culture. Nice ,clean environment. Not much more say about it.
I am begin forced to speak about an organization that I have nothing to add to this section
Pros
Good company
Cons
going through changes
Nice people and successful company
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 6, 2017
Nice people and successful business and morals. Ultimately needed more pay and needed to stay home with our new baby. I'd recommend working with them to anyone who was interested in that field.
No go
Senior Claims Litigation Attorney (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILMay 5, 2017
Next thing I remember, I was running for the door. I had to find the passage back to the place I was before. "Good night' said the night man, we are programmed to receive
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHMay 3, 2017
Great relationships with customers and the agent.
Felt very family oriented and employees or customers were always welcome and made a part of the family.
Productive and fun environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2017
Great leadership, the management was always on top of everything allowed you freedom to do your job as long as it was done correctly and efficiently. My daily requirements word to answer phones. Get back to leads find making phone calls. I'm answer any and all emails.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Closed down
Decent compensation, rampant nepotism
Security Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 30, 2017
Overall the company has come a long way. Their new vision is a lot more solid, but there is still a ton of nepotism. The culture makes it hard to break into management if that is your goal. There is plenty of lateral movement choices.
Poor management, poor culture.
Casualty Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 30, 2017
Very poor management at regional office. Very little respect for employees. Very negative and cynical culture. Worst insurance company that I ever worked for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location