American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

American
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 18, 2017
As Manager and sales representative, I trained sales personnel in the various sales duties they would need to learn. Travel required for presentations of company policy to various southern cities. Travel required to present our products to new companies.
Great Company
Claims Support (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 16, 2017
I have nothing negative to say about this Company. The culture is very employee friendly. The benefits are good. Everyone there is very nice. I would work for this company again
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 12, 2017
Receptionist/Customer Service for American Family Insurance, set appointments, prepared quotes for agents, data entry, payments, filed claims, fax, cash drops
Pros
Rewards, Free lunches
The insurance company
Billing Care Call Center (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 11, 2017
I worked in what was called the billing call center, it was a fast paced environment. Answered questions from insureds about their bills via email, instant message and letters as well as live phone calls.
Good place to work with good values to uphold.
IS Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 10, 2017
Field tech with company owned vehicle going around southern Indiana to agent sites to make sure they were up and running. Learned server replacement and configurations on the job. Management was more hands off which gave us the freedom to do our jobs. Hardest part of job was the long day at times since I was a field tech I was responsible for many sites at all times, at one point 105 remote sites was my responsibility. I enjoyed the agents most of all and the work environment was very casual. The workplace culture was very casual as well and easy to work in.
Pros
Company vehicle and cell phone
Cons
Healthcare costs and job security
The job was a great place to work.
Casualty Senior Claim Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJuly 9, 2017
I started at American Family right out of college and I gained experience and met a lots of people. I remained at the job until they relocated to another state.
Pros
Great location.
Cons
Late hours.
Started out great then agent failed to pay my comissions
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 7, 2017
I enjoyed my work, worked hard to help build book of business. Back stabbing CSR that did nothing but talk negative about the agent. Agent really gave no motivation and did not want to work and piled everything on everyone else's desk. The agent drove expensive cars and had big homes but couldn't pay his producers when ask several times. Most have no respect for employers such as this. I would never recommend anyone to do business with amfam or certainly not work there period. The area managers don't care either. That's why Amfam is where they are in the Insurance World.
sales driven
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 7, 2017
sales driven - meeting ones monthly goals are important especially since AMFAM is pushing life insurance products over the auto and home. Management also likes to push higher liability coverage to their clients.
Ok
Casualty Claims Med Pay No Fault Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJuly 5, 2017
Job can be stressful. People are great that you work with. Benefits include flex time, 401K, pension, good health, dental, and vision insurance.

Regional office has limitations in regards to advancement opportunities which limits things a bit.
Great Place to work
IT Service Desk/OPS Contract Programmer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 5, 2017
relaxed work environment with great people. State of the art Data Center with great automation monitoring tools. They really care about FTE employees.
If your desire is not to have a personal life and live for a company and its managers then this is the place for you.
Legal Assistant - Litigation Unit (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 1, 2017
Unrealistic work product expectations and lack of support staff to carry out functions of office demands. Its more about productivity and less about quality. In the legal department it is not about the client it is all about the insurance company, internal reports, and statistics.
Best place to learn and grow
Business Analyst / Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 1, 2017
I really had a great time and learned a lot here . I had a chance to work with New technologies which is leading insurance software GOSU technology. I had a chance to attend corporate training and learned lot of new tools as part of my job and as well as with the interest. With the help of team management i could able to attend as a consultandft.
Pros
5*4 schedules, Flexible timings, Wonderful management, Work From Home options when needed
Job or joke?
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 23, 2017
You have to work you butt off, including evenings & Saturdays, boss has no life & thinks yours is to be at his/her beckoning call 24/7. Customers yell at you & blame you for everything, boss takes their side. Pay sucks, dead end job. You're just a wage slave there and this is the future of America. And don't forget, you need to be licensed by the state in order to be able to take all the abuse. Not worth it!
Pros
Cons
Many like low pay, high stress, whining customers, demanding bosses
Claims Adjuster - Eden Prairie
Claims Adjuster / Investigator (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJune 23, 2017
AmFam was a nice place to work, but simply wasn't meant for me. If you want to work in claims, underwriting, or customer service, then the Eden Prairie branch is for you as that's all that office was responsible for.

Being an adjuster is tough, and requires thick skin, decent organizational skills, and patience. Most likely you're assigned (over a period of time, not all at once) up to 100+ claims, which are each your own responsibility in getting the work done.

While you're work is never done, and there's always something you could be working on, you do have guaranteed job security given that your insureds are always going to be getting into accidents.

The EP branch office was updated and remodeled, so it was very nice. The desks and office itself are in an "open" setting, so you don't get as much privacy as you might in the cube-farm environment. That all said, the openness and natural light was great, albeit tough to concentrate at times.

For me, it was too easy to lose track of time, skip lunch, and work an additional hour before or after (or both) my "assigned" work hours.
Pros
Job security, small teams, nice office, investigative nature is very interesting
Cons
No teamwork (you work your own claims), work / life balance, 62 Crosstown, Occasional micro management
Horrible place to work
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 22, 2017
The negative reviews about this company are true. Recent upper management changes have led to a culture that does not care about it's employees, rather, how much money they can make. The managers are too busy with meetings to be there for their employees and the branch manager level and up are so out of touch with how to handle claims they are ineffective. They have created a hostile negative environment. It's all about who you know not what you know, nor how well you do your job.
Pros
Benefits, flex schedule
Cons
Bad management, negative environment, high turnover, workload, nepotism
wonderful people to work for very nice
Appiontment Setter / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Troy, OHJune 22, 2017
very pleasant office work. Quiet and clean. Offered a work out room.
Worked calling clients and setting up appointments. Bosses were very polite, and kind.
Pros
pleasant office, nice clients, nice boss, good pay
Cons
need full time and they only offer part time with no insurance then
Busy agency with not a lot of training
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  OregonJune 21, 2017
Working in independent agency is unique in that you don't get the benefits of working for a large company while still technically being under a large company - no standardized training, few benefits, and no real resource for HR concerns.
Upside is that with so few people in the office, making friends with coworkers is easy.
Good Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIJune 21, 2017
Personally had my own auto claim with them and the service was good. had my deductible returned back to me right way so I know they jumped on the other party ASAP.
Great Company and Management
Support Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at AMFAM, the people were nice and management was very supportive and would assist you with any training or help needed. I really liked my co-workers and they were good hearted hard working people.
Pros
Great Work Atmosphere
Cons
Travelling from Beloit to Madison takes a toll on you
quite place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2017
It was a nice place to work. Just depends on where you work, i worked around the asian community so it was kinda thought to understand at times. They were very flexible with hours and you did what you got paid to do, so $9.00 was a good starting pay.
Pros
patient
Cons
area

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location