American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Stimulating and face-paced
Casualty Claim Manager (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 20, 2017
The goal of the claims department is too assist our insured customers through the claim process. This entails investigating coverage under the policy, investigating the motor vehicle accident, paying what is owed under the terms of the policy and coverages purchased by the customer.
Pros
Taking care of customers. Great people to work with
Cons
long work hours including time on weekends
Working at American Family
State Analyst (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 19, 2017
I've spent a lot of time working for the company in various roles. The company is customer focused and has a great vision. I have enjoyed my time there and the benefits are also a great perk.
Basic knowlege received there. to start my career
Agent (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 17, 2017
Great start to my career. Grew and learned a lot about the insurance business. I would do it all again under different management. But the experience there was great.
Great Place to work if you want to continously apply for your job
Protection and Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 17, 2017
I worked for Amfam for over 10 years. The culture there appears to be family orientated but you are constantly worried when the next reorg is going to happen. Great place to work but keep options open and dont get to secure in your job.
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Always having to apply for your job
Job Review
OPERATIONS SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Madison, WI 53783October 17, 2017
American family is a great company to work for. The medical benefits are one of the best I have ever had. Personal time off accumulates throughout the year and allows you more personal time off if needed.
Benefits
Cons
Micro Managed
Fair place to work
Agent (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 16, 2017
As an agent AMFAM provides excellent training. Hours are set by the agent. AMFAM can provide many opportunities in insurance. Not many benefits as an agent.
CSR/Insurance Agent
Customer service/sales agent (Former Employee) –  Riverton, UTOctober 16, 2017
Great company to work for, was looking for career advancement. Serviced customers, problem solved customers issues on a daily basis. Cold called for new business.
Casualty Claims Adjuster, Maryland Height, MO (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOOctober 16, 2017
I have only been employed with American Family Insurance for 9 months and I enjoy working there. There a numerous roles you can apply for nation wide. I was hired as an adjuster with no experience. They look for people that provide excellent customer service and enjoys helping customers. The job can be stressful. Its fast pace.
Pros
Great Enviornment
Cons
No management promotios
Great Desk Starter Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cobb County, GAOctober 16, 2017
This is my first 9-5 job. I was in love when I started even though the job I left paid me more here.
Honestly, this job is high demand and CAN be extremely stressful and overwhelming.
The agency's are privately own meaning, the Owner (Agent) will give what he'/she deserves or can afford to gibe you.
As previously mentioned, the pay is not worth the stress yet, I've been doing it for 2 years.
If agents paid more, I wouldn't mind staying!
Pros
9-5. meeting people, learning new skills/systems
Cons
Phone calls & walk ins are high demand, you have to be able to multi-task
Personal Casualty Customer Service
Customer Service Casualty Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2017
Standard Personal Casualty Customer Service Representative was a new field for me. Learned Insurance business from the ground up. Used this position as a stepping stone
Pros
Good Corporation to start with
Cons
Salary & didn't like Casualty.
AnFam was a great place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 15, 2017
American Family is a great opportunity for anyone lucky enough to work there. They are fair to treat their employees equally and I would recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours and stress depending on the job
Venture Capital Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 14, 2017
I only worked here for 3 months as an intern but overall the company was very welcoming, had a lot of training opportunities. There was work life balance and people were friendly. The compensation was good for an internship as well.
A steady job and opportunity to learn a lot about insurance.
Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAOctober 6, 2017
American Family Insurance offers a lot of opportunity for on the job training. The Underwriters and Technical staff work closely with the producers and agents to make sure policies are written accurately and that the policies meet the needs of the policy owners.
Pros
Great opportunity for continuing education
Cons
Average staff, working environment, salaries and benefits.
Great Insurance Company
Licensed Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILOctober 5, 2017
American Family is a great company to work for, upper management was Awesome! The company has a great customer base and have some very loyal customers. I've truly enjoyed my time there.
Management Does Not Listen to Employees
IS Security Advisor Special Project (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 2, 2017
Managers in other work groups were intelligent and helpful. In IT, there seemed to be negative competition and trust issues. Management has changed since time of employment. Hopefully things have improved, but that starts at the top.
Pros
Great cafeteria, hard working people
Cons
Inflated Egos, Trust Issues, Lack of Respect for Individual Talent
Excellent Leadership
Agency Sales Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, IASeptember 28, 2017
The leader that I worked under was very experienced at managing people and always was challenging them. I worked in a field office and in the last six months of the job, we became part of the corporate office. Main reason for leaving was because there were no benefits.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No advancement
Awesome company
Insurance Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rolla, MOSeptember 27, 2017
During my temporary employment I enjoyed how AmFam was taking care of the employees. The training was outstanding, I could do it at my own pace and could always get back to it.
fast pace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GASeptember 26, 2017
a wonderful and extremely clean environment, the owner was very kind and very productive with the employees. she was very firm about the business but very eager to teach everything there was to know about the business. Her goal was that every agent work toward opening their own agency.
Pros
great environment, wonderful experience
Cons
unfortunately the owner couldnt afford all of the employees
Great place to work!
Customer Telephone Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 25, 2017
I worked at American Family most of my career and enjoyed all of the opportunities during my time with the company. The people I encountered while working at American Family were very professional and supported career advancement.
Great Place to work
Intake Claims Agent /Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 25, 2017
Am Fam really live up to the company's core belief that we are one am fam I hate that I had to depart from the company there is no other company like am fam.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.