American Family Insurance

American Family Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

All around bad
Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJanuary 30, 2016
Helped me get p&c license and thats about all that was good. Management would not help what so ever, They will blame their errors on you and throw you under the bus when their error is brought up by the customers.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday.
Cons
Lazy, Divisive, Unapproachable Management
American Family
CSR/Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INJanuary 13, 2016
Process drop box payments, review ANS reports, make payment reminder / collection calls to customers, greet customers and process counter payments via check, cash or credit card. Processed daily marketing material, answered phones, directed calls, took information for insurance quotes. Entered customer information in to database. Maintained customer data files. Scanned documents into system, faxed when necessary and all other general administrative duties. The managing agent was the only co-worker and he was wonderful. He's a great person, really cares about his business and his customers, who always came first. The hardest part of the job was sales. I'm not the sales person type and was never comfortable with that part. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new customers and creating that personal connection with them. You knew their name and they knew yours and I was always able to greet them with a genuine conversation.
Fast paced friendly office
Licensed Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COJanuary 2, 2016
Started with office with no experience, ability to learn quickly and "on the fly" was essential. Ability to learn new systems on own and in person was very helpful. Increasing knowledge of industry is a must!
Co-workers were fun and up-beat, ability to be productive while still keeping a fun and happy office demeanor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who were unsure of their insurance coverage who did not trust our suggestions or thought they knew better.
The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with our customers, feeling like we really got to know each of them personally and being able to better protect them.
Pros
Friendly neighborhood office
Cons
No healthcare, LONG meetings
Laid back, conservative midwest insurer
Insurance Agent / Producer (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 16, 2015
American Family is a laid-back, conservative midwest insurer. They are not reactionary or hyper ambitious, which reflects their nature as a mutual insurer. They hire great people. Their growth plans are safe and well thought out.
Pros
Pace, demeanor
Cons
Compensation average
An honest assessment
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 20, 2015
I hate reading reviews that don't say much. Here's an honest assessment. The company overall is a good company. I have worked for some poor companies in the past and this is much better than all of those. The frustration with the company is that in its regional offices, there is very limited opportunity for growth and movement. Once you are in the casualty operations, there are rarely positions that open for growth and when there are, there about 25 people going for one position. And they usually hire based on tenure and how well the person is liked by management; it is not based on talent and performance. That becomes very discouraging. If, however, you're willing to move to the Midwest; namely Madison where the company is based or Minnesota which is a fairly large hub office, then you have opportunity for growth and advancement. The company does restructure and reorganization frequently and people get displaced. In fact, my current department is experiencing this and we all have to reapply for our current jobs. There are now only 23 positions available and 26 current adjusters. This seems to happen every couple of years.

There are many who complain about the workload. I happen to be quite efficient and am able to get through my inventory each day. I have quite a bit of downtime each day as a result. However, I guess I'm an exception as there are many who work very long hours and since we're all salary, there is no opportunity for overtime. Our department has been short staffed for over a year and this has been a bone of contention for as long as I remember.

The good
  more... is that you do get quite a bit of time off. You have a set schedule, but the managers are not all that concerned if you come in a few minutes late or need to adjust your schedule on a particular day to accommodate doctor's appointments, kids related things, etc. Also, you work only 9 days every 2 weeks. The flex days become quite enjoyable.

In conclusion, the company is great if you're okay with status quo and do not aspire to advance in your position. Also, if you don't mind relocating to the Midwest, and you want to advance, then this is not a bad place to work. The relocation packages they offer are pretty generous. However, they are very stingy when it comes to pay increases, so it does take a long time to get to the max of your pay grade. So it depends on your situation. It can be an awesome company for the right person. Unfortunately for me, I have no desire to relocate to Wisconsin or Minnesota, so I've hit the ceiling at this particular office.
Pros
Flex days, profit sharing, generous time off package
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity for this office, poor review/raise program
Managers are clueless
Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MONovember 8, 2015
Most managers have been with the company for 18+ years and have never had any other job or attended college in over 18+ years, if at all and therefore, live in a box. For these types of managers, they believe that fear creates engagement and control. They don't understand fairness, positive engagement, team building and leadership. Usually, this is a gossip community of managers that have all crawled up the ladder together and are threatened by anyone that has more knowledge or education than they have.

Because of the above, these managers usually create a prisoner style of management. Employees are afraid to voice their honest opinions when asked about policy and procedures. Some managers go as far as to harass anyone that they suspect is smarter or more educated. They also go after anyone who they believe has given them poor ratings on surveys. I was one of those people harassed despite me giving actually better ratings that time around due to some improvements I'd noticed, but yet, in a team meeting, was looked at directly when this manager talked about her survey scores and then went on to say that anyone that disagreed with her methods should look for another job.
Pros
Coworkers are great
Cons
Management needs training in leadership
Productive and great people to work with. New job duties to learn every day.
Claims Scanning Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 4, 2015
Fun work place. Great people to work with. Management is always there to help with any problems you may have, or just to bend an ear.
Pros
Room for advancement, Bonuses every year.
Claims Support (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 30, 2015
Great place to work, I love the working enviornment , management is very supportive and proper training is given before you start the work.
Very nice place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fridley, MNAugust 25, 2015
I come in early and get computer going, and voicemails taken care of.

I handle the clients needs, make any changes to their policies, follow up on changes to make sure they have been done and done properly, enter payments, enter claims, answer questions to the best of my knowledge. I pretty much run the office. I cross sell to current clients. The only things that I really don't do is business policies and life policies. I will talk to clients about them but the agent is the one that follows up on those 2 types of policies.

We hired a producer to get new business in the door.

The hardest part of my job is setting back and having my hours cut from full time to part time (24 hrs) a week.
Cons
No benefits, unless you want to pay out of your own pocket
BI QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 21, 2016
Amazing company! I've been here 10 years and the opportunity has changed my life. Ethical leadership from the very top who are approachable and real. The agent career, which is where I started, is very hard at first. You definitely need to put in the time, as you starting a business. If you are exploring being an agent, get ready for lots of hours and sales rejection; but, the income opportunity or future career path…
Pros
Diversified Culture
Cons
Management Changes
Excellent training with unlimited opportunity
Agent in Training (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 13, 2015
Incredible training program that leads you through the ins and outs of the insurance industry.
Takes you from novice to professional.
Those willing to put in the time will be able to make a very handsome wage and build many skills useful across the business spectrum.
Pros
unlimited earning potential
Cons
No benefits for agents
fun place
Casualty Claim Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 23, 2015
American Family Insurance is very fun place to work at. they have very flexible hours, so it's easy to manage work and personal life. management are always there to help employee to grow with company.
Great Company/Small Office
Licensed Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILFebruary 2, 2016
Working for American Family Insurance was a great experience. The work at the office was a typical office environment; filing, data entry, collect payments, make cold calls to improve sales within the office. I was also in charge of going out to the businesses in order to discuss possible changes on the current policies to increase sales.
Pros
Close to home, friendly environment.
Cons
Only 3 people at this office and no room to move to a higher position.
Amazing and strong company
Agent/Small Business Owner (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 12, 2015
Exciting days, filled with new experiences and great people. Very fulfilling helping clients meet their property and casualty needs. worked with some truly special people that made a great difference in my life!
Pros
New daily challenges
Cons
Some long hours at times
Fine Company
Producer (Current Employee) –  MissouriAugust 19, 2015
It is a fine company to work for, I just wish the benefits and compensation was better for employees and that older agents would realize the benefits of advertising/promotions.
Loved working their, people don't leave companys, they leave managers.
Sr. Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2015
Management needs to be less sensitive, listen to your employees. Good talent is not cheap and cheap talent is not good. AMFAM should have a bar that needs to be met in order to apply and or work their, rather than a warm body that meets their diversification goals. Many incompetent adjusters who work their, because of lack of standards, such as a 4 year degree, some experience, industry education, great people skills that can negotiate, employees that are competent in many states, ones that work hard.
Pros
short days, long lunches, easy money, little diriction from management.
Cons
can be fired on a whim, no wright ups, no warnings.
Awesome, Laid Back Place To Work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INApril 25, 2016
This is an awesome and laid back place to work. Agents/Staff are friendly and very helpful with the learning process. I have learned a lot about the insurance industry by being employed with this company. I would highly recommend this company to anyone just starting out with learning the trades of insurance.
The people and the benefits are competitive, however the job itself is draining.
Investigative Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 30, 2015
Coworkers and managers are positive and supportive, however the work itself can be difficult because often people disagree with you and feel your assessment is inaccurate. If you enjoy arguing with people this may be the job for you.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
the work itself
This is an ok insurance employer
Insurance Office Manager (Licensed Agent) (Former Employee) –  wichita, ksJanuary 24, 2016
I has come from an agency that was not a direct writer, so it was a bit jarring to be with a direct writer. The agent that I worked for was NOT a good insurance aent. He was unethical and broke the law multiple times. I was glad to leave, I liked the company, not the ager.
Great and productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2016
Great productivity and socialization. My co-workers were amazing and great team players. I learned how to be a great CSR and how to communicate with clients. I loved helping our customers and making their day easier.