American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Not a Great place to work
Agent (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJanuary 23, 2018
The office was drab. The Owner/Manager needed training on how to manage. His office and attitude was horrible. He didn't speak well of or with his clients. Had no supervisor skills.
Pros
great business
Cons
not a good manager
Na
Casualty Claim Desk Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 23, 2018
Would not recommend working in the Claims department. Employees are salaried and very over worked, often expected to work over 50 hours a week with no overtime pay.
Fast paced and often fun work place.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJanuary 19, 2018
You would need to be self-motivated and self-taught. The position was learn as you go with very little training and little understanding of expectations.
Pros
worked well with family emergencies
Cons
contracts were not consistent
different variety of jobs
Policy Processor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 19, 2018
Insurances can be difficult to understand so lots of questions from customers and agents how to process or understand the billing. Amfam gave more directions on how to improve your job setting as well and was asking for input to increase daily productivity or how to improve .
a typical work day.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 19, 2018
A typical day at work would be at your desk, you cannot go to the restroom unless you're on break. It is really hard to move up in the company unless you know someone.
Pros
breaks, good pay.
great work group career advancement employees matter
Senior Support Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 18, 2018
typical work day consisted of work assignment assorting pushing old work out follow ups and 2nd days, returning responses, begin processing. Occasional time for liaison meetings, also consistency meeting planning. Manager would let you plan you day as long as work was getting done and pushed out, work is was scheduled to you. Overall great company to work for would do it again.
Pros
recreational activities room for advancement and in involvement in work group
There was no ping pong table over that office.
Customer Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 17, 2018
I liked working there but ,then the office manager left the company. And the new manager brought in is own employees. I would help the customers with their payments when ever they would come to the office.
A great place to work
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Princeton, MNJanuary 16, 2018
I have learned much about insurance products and how to customize them to the needs of the prospects. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have helped someone make the best choice for them and their family.
Great company
Licensed Insurance Representative (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOJanuary 13, 2018
American Family Insurance is a great company to work for, but in the hiring process make sure your agent is a good fit. I am currently in a situation where I feel like there is no room for advancement at the agency I am currently with.
Fun and enjoyable work enviornment.
Insurance Producer/CSR Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJanuary 12, 2018
Working for this agency was an absolute joy. Great work life balance and lost of opportunity to advance your carrier. This company made me proud to know I worked for then due to the strong commitment to their clients and employees.
Enjoyed job very much.
Sales Specialist - All Lines (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 11, 2018
I really enjoy my job at American Family. I was allowed a lot of freedom while on the job. I was allowed to come and go as I please for appointments. Training was confined to modules and could have used a little more hands on training. Overall, a very nice place to work.
Could not keep pace with a competitive market.
Senior Claim Attorney (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 10, 2018
American Family management is behind the times. The old boys' network reward who you knew, not what you knew. Incompetence rose to the top and employee morale sunk to the bottom.
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INJanuary 9, 2018
I loved my job at American Family. I was in charge when the agent was gone. If I ever had any problems with anything there was always a place to go for answers.
Great work
Health Underwriting Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 4, 2018
Excellent interaction with other managers.
Enjoyed my time there spanning 32 years.
I would recommend this company to anyone wanting to work in the insurance industry
Great Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSJanuary 4, 2018
This was one of my favorite jobs! I wish I never had to leave. My boss was great and she helped me grow tremendously. She was very flexible with my hours as I was attending school at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Agent (Former Employee) –  Bonne Terre, MODecember 29, 2017
I was blessed to have the opportunity to work as an agent with american family and would be still working for the company if given the opportunity. I think everyone should have them for their insurance needs.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Collaborative work environment
Insurance Policy Processor II (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MODecember 29, 2017
Process applications for, changes to, reinstatement of, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Not bad
Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 28, 2017
Diverse but limits on advancing unless you want to relocate. Most of the opportunity is in the corporate office in Madison, WI.

If you apply for an opening in the Phoenix office, there are so many applicants and it's hard to move up.
Secure place to work
Policy Processor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNDecember 26, 2017
Answering phone calls and problem-solving with agents is what i did on a typical day.
I learned how to become a licensed rep to assist my customers better,
The good and the bad
Associated Claims Concierge (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 21, 2017
Overall good company to work for but my positions was fairly new and under developed and still learning what exactly the position is. Overall it a fast passed environment that forces you to be organized and plan you day to the best of your ability. although the is no set work load your day can range from 5 claims to 18 claims per day.
Pros
Ability to learn and grow within the position
Cons
Communication between teams

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.