American Family Insurance Employee Reviews

Life is what you make it
INSURANCE/ AGENT/ OWNER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2017
you can have plenty of free time if you want to fail. This job is for the zealous money maker that wants nothing but success. The company will surely reward you!!
Great company to work for.
General Manager/Licensed Representative (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for Amfam. The work home life balance was great. The employees for are very easy to work with as well. The compensation was also acceptable, if you are willing to work hard.
Work experience under pressure
Director of Customer Experience (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORMarch 27, 2017
My experience at American Family Insurance was beneficial in the sense that I gained a lot of experience in a professional atmosphere. However, ethically, it was one of the most negative experiences I have had.
Long, monotonous hours
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 25, 2017
Spent hours of cold calls and simple tasks. Agency owner was performing questionable tactics in order to gain further clients. Relationships between employees and agency owner was poor at best.
Cons
Poor compensation
Great way to learn business side of things
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 23, 2017
With this job I was able to learn alot about sales. I was apart of the process of cold calling which was very interesting. This job helped me get over the fear of rejection from others quite swiftly.
Companies Objective for customers is good.
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 19, 2017
American Family Insurance truly cares about providing excellent customer service. No matter how good a company is there is always room for improvement. I'm sure there are policies and procedures that can better assist adjusters with their time and work flow all of which is intense due to the volume of claims verses number of qualified adjusters. Company has great benefits. 401K and retirement. Resent College graduates looking to start a career should consider starting with this company.
Good benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 18, 2017
Good benefits. Beginning to show signs of innovation, customer driven. Usually was a follower and is now a leader in the Insurance and innovation. Still have room for improvement.
Benefits
Hard workers be careful!
Claims (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 16, 2017
I worked at American Family Insurance for almost 20 years. They don't like when you get in the 10-15 year range because you cost them money. You can work hard and have great reviews but they will try and find something wrong anyway. So basically you are expected to work to death just to keep up with the demands if you want to be a top performer. Than they will ask for more!

Some managers are great while other managers feel the need to keep you at bay. Not always the most ethical managers or company for those that support that.

There is a lot of restructuring and uncertainty on a regular basis. American Family Insurance is very top heavy and they cut from the bottom.
Cons
Poor work life balance; ethical concerns
Not so great
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 15, 2017
This job was not the best job as the person I worked for was not going by rules of employment due to being hired because I was a client of his. I didnt have to actually fill out an application.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Insurance Agent
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 12, 2017
American Family is a good place to get started if you don't have the funds to buy an exsisting agency. The Company has a great finance plan to help get you started.
Pros
Agent Finance Plan
Cons
Don't own book of business
Worked for an individual insurance agent
Team Director (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNMarch 11, 2017
Difficult to review the company as a whole as I worked for an individual insurance agent. Great agent with fresh ideas. From my experience American Family Insurance supports hard working self starters.
Pros
Flexible management, good hours, great agent
Cons
Poor compensation
good to get your experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 10, 2017
nice to get your feet wet and get out. Don't believe the hype they are there for one reason, to make money. They promise you the world and never deliver. People invest time, money, relationships into this and when they are done with you, they are done period. I had alot of great times in the service of the agent i worked for, but at the end of the day, the company chewed him up, spit him out and really just forgot about him after 20+ years of service.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
expectations, broken promises, nothing to work towards.
excellent company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAMarch 9, 2017
long hours but great working environment with great incentives front office associate to take calls & process payments & set appointments for CEO & insurance agents
Good Pay, Outrageous Expectations
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Valley, AZMarch 6, 2017
Pay is good, but employees are totally expendable. As long as you sell you are loved, but if sales drop just a little you can expect threats to follow. The low supervisor and appropriate training is provided. One is expected to work after hours for networking event.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work life balance is difficult
I Love My Job
Licensed Agency Representative/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Two Rivers, WIMarch 1, 2017
I love working at my current job. My co-workers and I get along great and help one another when needed. My boss is flexible with our hours when needed. I like that there is always something new to learn and never any two situations the same in the insurance world.
Great place to learn and move on
Agent in Training (AIT) (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTFebruary 27, 2017
I learned a lot about the insurance industry by working for American Family. It's a great place to learn customer service and sales skills. The negative side of American Family was that they didn't seem to care about you as much as I felt they should.
Fun workplace
Office manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORFebruary 24, 2017
It was a great job. Very nice clean place to work. I loved my boss she was a wonderful and very helpful person. The pay was good and the customers were very nice. It was in Redmond Oregon and very cold in the winter
Review
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 23, 2017
I have enjoyed working here for the time that I have started at this company. Everyone is knowledgeable in what they are doing, and they are willing to help out whenever needed.
Agent is great to work for, company as a whole needs some work.
Licensed Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 21, 2017
The agent is great to work for! However, I run into a lot of issues with the service team and those who work up at the Home Office. Needless to say, things get done, but I find a lot of redundancies that are frustrating to work through.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Very little/No benefits
Great Place to work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 17, 2017
Completive pay, hires from within, great work life balance. Managers are willing to help if needed, co-workers were great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Family Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

American Family Insurance Reviews by Location