American Family Insurance

American Family Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

Overall success at TCF Bank
Licensed Agent/Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNSeptember 22, 2015
Morning shift, money handling and customers. Learned to keep calm in stressful situations. Managed escalation issues. Co-workers were helpful. It was hard to see people hurt with money situations. I enjoyed that everyone worked together as a team.
Pros
Flexibilty and understanding of life events
Cons
No benfits were available
Did not care for the owners of the location I worked at.
LICENSED CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Brookville, INJune 10, 2015
I learned a lot about insurance for auto and home. I enjoyed working with people the customer service end of the job was by far my favorite. My co-worker and management was hard to deal with. The hardest part of my job was learning all the laws of insurance.
Pros
learned alot about insurance
Cons
pay and company
Great place to lean how to deal with the public
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COSeptember 2, 2015
most days a good. learned how to run the front end. Front office mgr is nit picky. hardest part is dealing with angry customers. I liked meeting new people or establishing relationships with return customers.
Pros
good hours, good pay, weekends off, can have cell phone on desk
Cons
Boss is never there, he doesnt take calls from his clients, office mgr isnt helpful when needed most
Great work environment they try to help you advance
Care Center Claims Rep (Current Employee) –  St.Louis MOAugust 26, 2015
A typical day is taking claims reporting the first notice of loss. I learned to be very empathetic to individuals in their time of need. I really enjoy my coworkers. We help one another. The hardest part will be adjusting to new hours that were chosen for me. With having a small child I will not get to see him much. The most enjoyable part is helping others
the type of company you dont leave
Business Technical Tester (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 4, 2015
if you have worked for the Dane county shelter home or the county juvenile system you know you get attached. This job is no different, make sure you love kids .
Awesome place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2015
It was a pretty awesome place. The managers and employees were awesome. The hours were great and the schedule was flexible. There was no hardest part of the job.
American Family is a good company. They hire a good people and train them well too. The past couple of years the focus seemed to be on the numbers.
Property Desk Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Madison, Wi.August 20, 2015
American Family is a good place to work although it seems they can't find direction they want to go and stick with it. It seems they are always changing. It seems they are trying to copy other companies instead of doing what works for American Family.
Pros
Good workplace
Cons
Under staffed and all about the numbers.
Great family orientated company.
Office Manager & Licensed Producer (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COFebruary 22, 2015
A typical day at work includes answering the phones and returning all calls, processing any necessary changes, and contacting customers for any necessary correspondence. Additionally creating and implementing marketing procedures, and office procedures to help maintain a high retention rate for current customers, as well as a high satisfaction rate. Eight years in insurance has taught me how to multitask incredibly well, with special emphasis on resolving difficult situations and assisting upset customers. I work with two agents, as their only assistant. I am the designated customer service representative, while they focus on sales. I handle all the eight computer systems on a daily basis to enter their applications, assist customers with their billing questions, and process all account changes.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
no room for growth, no health benefits
The company overall is a great company to work for.
Claims (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 22, 2015
American family is a great company to work for. They do care about their employees and are consistently improving employee engagement. The only cons I have is that I am located in a smaller office and there is not much room for opportunities.
really nice people to work with
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 28, 2015
AmFam is a really beautiful campus with nice people. The work was not too challenging, and I was getting bored. I wish there had been more to do because I met some wonderful people and I would have enjoyed staying there.
Pros
beautiful campus with cafeteria and covered parking available
Cons
not enough work to keep me busy
Ok job if you like call center work
AUTO CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 18, 2015
Be prepared to be micromanaged to death here. Every part of your day is monitored and tracked. Also, you are pretty much set in whatever shift you start at. I was on the same shift for two years after being promised that I would be moved to an earlier shift after six months.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
management, policies
American Family Insurance
I/S Administration Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 15, 2015
A great company to work for.

Duties for my last job included; closing American Family offices, moving staff at the American Family office due to job transfers or restructures, open new American Family offices, dispose of furniture.
benefits
Cons
travel
Fun place to work! Overall great management teams
Casualty Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 15, 2015
It is easy to want to come to work here. There is a lot of ongoing change to continue improvements and make us best in class.
Good for a major corporation
Property & Casualty Claims Desk Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 8, 2013
This company pays competitively, still offers benefits, a 401K and a pension plan. The managers are overall competent, but in the past I found them to kind and considerate whereas in recent years I came across a few who were heartless and/or doing the company's bidding without compassion for employees. The company culture changed for the worse and it became a matter of piling on work for claims employees, losing or firing staff along the way without replacing them when necessary. I liked my managers for the most part, but they had a difficult task in these last few years. The co-workers were professional and nice people for the most part. The hardest part for me was handling the heavy workload and the best part was helping the customers.
High stress, fast paced work environment
CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 26, 2012
A typical day at work usually involves responding to emails, phone calls, working with body shops, independent adjusters, tow yards, salvage yards and customers in order to resolve claims quickly. At my time at American Family Insurance I learned to be organized & detail oriented. I learned to be persuasive. I gained important experience working within complex computer systems. I learned how to negotiate and be an analytical person. My management helped me learn from my mistakes and become a better employee. My co-workers were very helpful and kind. The hardest part about my job was denying claims due to lack of coverage or no coverage on the policy. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people get through tough times.
Pros
helping people, good benefits
Cons
short breaks, high stress
Forward Thinking Company
Agent in Training/Licensed Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 28, 2015
AmFam is working towards being a national company. With any company that is growing, you get growing pains. All in all AmFam is a great company to work for.
Productive workplace working with insured's all across the Western part of the US
Sales Generation Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 15, 2013
Licensed sales representative looking over personal lines applications and quoting them up for western states.

I learned how to follow up on leads, underwrite auto policies and homeowners/renter's policies. Collect payment and finalize the sale of an auto policy.

Management was hands on and if you had questions that needed to be answered by them they were available.

The hardest part of the job was following up on multiple leads while meeting your sales numbers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with new customer's every day and building relationships to make the customer feel at ease with American Family Insurance.
Pros
good hourly pay with commission for sales created, good training involved to complete the job professionally
Cons
not a lot of advancement, hours worked were second shift
AmFam
Actuary Part-time (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 12, 2015
This is a great company and people here are very nice. I have been interning here for 5 months. The only problem is about the efficiency.
a very busy multi-tasking job
Sales and marketing (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILSeptember 22, 2012
First American is a very busy company with a lot of facets of the business. I learned alot about the title industry and the escrow side of real estate. The management is a very strong force in the company, they are very in touch with what is going on and available to help with any issues. My co workers were very hard working and supportive. The hardest part of the job, was the fast paced aspect of the escrow side. There were alot of changes that happened at the closing table, and we had to be ready to take care of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the cohesiveness of the co workers. We worked well together and were very productive.
Pros
occassionally a free lunch, and very good benefits
Cons
a lot of overtime
Great Job
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 23, 2014
A great company and job culture to work for I enjoyed working for this company. Very down to earth management and employees. The work culture made the work environment sure a great and fun place to be. There are positive and negative in all companies but I can say there were more positive than negative. This company seemed to understand the balance within employees concerns and making the job a better place to work. But with all companies things can be better to fit all that are involved.
Pros
job culture, environment; job ethic
Cons
communication