American Federation of Teachers Employee Reviews in United States

Over 30 years of IT culture
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2015
AFT is a dynamic organization that required a lot of work hours from my part as to provide support of the Infrastructure and data center.
aft
Library Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
My internship was amazing. There are a few rude employees, they are a lot of nice ones also. Working there at an young age made me more aware of what a labor union is about. I had a wonderful experience.
Pros
downtown metro area
Cons
AFT is an organization which represents teachers, paraprofessionals, healthcare and public employees in the United States. It is a great organization
Executive Assistant to the President, AFT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2015
I was at the AFT from 1975 to 2008. I started as a Secretary in the Office Managers office. Promoted in 1977 as Secretary to the Legislative Director. In 1991, promoted to Human Resources secretary. 1992 promoted to Confidential Assistant to the Secretary-Treasurer (elected official). In the next few years, the S/T was elected as President and I continued to be his "right hand" person until 2008.

A typical day could be business as usual or could become stressful. AFT represents over 1.5 million members, over 400 employees in the Washington, DC (based) building.

Most co-workers were exceptional and we worked as a team. Team work was essential when I worked in the Executive Office -- we had to be ready to jump into any situation. Even if the President was on travel, when needed, this special group that I was part of would go into action by assessing a situation and then report to the President and other elected officials wherever they were. I am very confident working in stressful situations.

The most enjoyable part of my job was scheduling high profile type of meetings which included White House staff, congressional leaders, etc who had a special interest in education. I was responsible for preparing agendas, talking points, possible web meetings or reserve conference rooms at large hotels, in another city other than Washington, DC etc.

I also prepared the expense reports, daily activity logs, arranged all transportation for the President etc.

It was my responsibility to supervise two secretaries and make sure that the office ran smoothly.
Pros
salary, pension plan, health insurance, sick/vacation leave etc.
Cons
Parking in the building was very expensive. The only con.
Continually Challenged in Unique and Interesting Ways
Staff Organizer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Each day presented itself with no challenges. No two days were ever alike.
Pros
interact with a variety of people every single day. different than any other job.
The peoples job
Staff Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 12, 2014
This was one of my favorite positions. Got the opportunity to train and gain knowledge and travel.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
irate members
Good job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 24, 2014
Great co to work for. Although they're no longer there. OMG! What more do you want me to say about this company? It is a good co to work for!
Supportive
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2014
Good company. Positive work environment. Friendly co-workers.
a challenging work environment
Field Organizer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2014
This is a fast pace work environment that changes frequently.
I loved it.
AFL-CIO (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2013
I wish I would have never left Alief Isd. I learned a lot of teaching stragites.
Pros
i gather a lot of information about teaching strageites
Cons
health care is better
Nice and friendly work place
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2013
Get exposed to many responsibilities. It's good. Co-workers are very nice and helpful.

Want to know more about American Federation of Teachers?

Ask a question
Great experience for students
Intern (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CaliforniaJanuary 21, 2013
Fantastic internship opportunity for any involved student. They are committed to giving you the tools and information you need to achieve in student activism and help you apply them. Networking is a plus and it's a valuable experience for any student seeking to improve their communication skills as well as organizational and wish to serve their community.
Pros
experience, co-workers, learning environment
Outstanding Union
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 20, 2012
Strong belief system. They remain true to the fundamentals of unionization.
Pros
committed staff
Cons
no time for personal life

4.2