American Fence Company Employee Reviews

Average Fence Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 28, 2018
Typical fence company with adequate equipment. Covering the whole state. problem with management not paying bills and being cut off with suppliers frequently
Hard but fulfilling work
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 15, 2017
Manual labor is never an easy task, but it is made enjoyable with a good leader and fun employees. I enjoyed my time at American Fence Company and I would recommend it.
Company owned
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2017
I have enjoyed working for AFC for almost 7 years. practices maybe out dated but are moving in the right direction. Te Support from the corporation office on contracts is amazing.
20 years ago it was a fun place to work.
Sales, Project Manager, Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed my time at American Fence Company. It's been far too long for my rating of compensation, Management etc. to be relevant.
Pros
Sales meetings at breakfast restaurants
Cons
High management turnover
Stable and enjoyable workplace.
Crew Foreman Rent A Fence (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 5, 2017
Very physical demanding work place. If you can keep up your coworkers will help you gain the strength needed to make it. This job will give you management and leadership skill you were unaware you had, all while making you a much stronger version of yourself. The most enjoyable part of this job is the people you get to work with.
Pros
Ability to manage your own time schedule with little supervision.
Cons
Hard labor.
i loved this job
Fence Installer (Former Employee) –  Oreana, IL 62554January 2, 2017
i loved working with my co workers and bosses there was nothing hard about this job and and i enjoyed everything about this job the job is well worth working there
Pros
i loved everthing abou this job
Cons
there was nothing wrong with this job
Not as advertised!!!
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 28, 2016
The company reviews shown are not for the Omaha, NE based company. There are a couple of American Fence Company's in the US. Be careful when applying for the Omaha base Co. The work environment is toxic at best. If you like to be treated unkindly and have your talents belittled, have at it. Otherwise stay clear.
Productive workplace
Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2016
Worked as a Cost Analyst under the Executive VP. Management was completely hands off and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it was difficult to ascertain certain tasks in the most efficient manner. Everyone there has worked in fencing for many years, and as such the expectation is that you have the same experience. With this in mind, no one has the time of day to answer questions and the patience level is non existent. Best advice is for someone to be an independent thinker and not afraid to find answers to questions by themselves. Also, the corporate purchaser is very unpleasant to work for and is very condescending and quite rude. Best advice is to put on a smile and act like you care about how great he thinks he is, worked for me. Benefits are not good. To put this into perspective, the company has been in operation for over 50 years and just gave employees access to a 401k program in 2015.
Pros
Stable Environment
Cons
Poor benefits, work volume, hands off management
Care for emplyees
Fence Installer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 27, 2015
Report to yard and received my job assignment for the day. I would load the materials, organized and plan my route. At job site I would provide assistant to my crew and supervisor their work, assuring deadlines were met. overall rating for this company they treat the employee good, but the pay increase verse the type of work was not equal.
Pros
working and meeting different people
Cons
low paid
Small Branch Big Corporation
Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAJuly 7, 2015
Served in all branch administrator duties on a daily basis including payroll, inventory, collections, contracts and billing. This company helped me expand my knowledge on construction and office managing.
Pros
401k added in 2015
Cons
System outdated and in need of upgrades
Well known company that has been around 50+ years
Purchasing Agent / Oversee Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 10, 2015
American Fence Company has been around for 50+ years and is the biggest fence company in the region. We have 8 branches in the midwest in 5 states.
Enjoyable work place
Welder and Installer (Former Employee) –  Plover, WIMay 8, 2015
This company is owned by 3 different people all of whom I had to communicate with on a regular basis, all were very helpful.
A typical day would consist of pulling work orders, loading and unloading trucks in the morning, welding and building of gates, proper use of a tape measure, mig welding, use of a colleens cutter, chop saws, and torches.
The worst part of the job was dealing with the weather.
Learning how to do the job was the most enjoyable part.
Long hours with little recognition
Sales, Estimator, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 5, 2015
Working with co-workers at American Fence Co is the best part of the job. We all try to keep the atmosphere pleasant. The hours are long. Little recognition for a job well done.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AzAugust 15, 2014
Good place to work, lovely employee to interact with. Their pay rate is good at above minimum wage.
Open door policy atmosphere
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 19, 2014
Great place to work for the right person. Always changing and never boring. Growing company with a ton of positive future possibilities.
Pros
Direct communication with the company President.
Cons
Somewhat under managed
was not a good company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santee, CANovember 26, 2013
The other sales reps had terrible attitudes and made it a very bad work environment.
Official response from American Fence Company
June 28, 2017

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with American Fence Company. We have been consistently working to improve our culture and work experience in the organization. In the 69 years we have been in business, we have developed a core set of values that we work to live by, Teamwork, Integrity, Safety, and Operational Excellence/Innovation.

Not enough pay
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 7, 2013
Outside work and pay was enough to support my son. Had to take care of my son, was a single parrent.
Good pay and learning experience.
Outside sales representative/estimator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2013
I really enjoyed working for Americn Fence because it was my first real sales job. Everyone including the sales coordinators, administrators, and top sales staff were very helpful. For a new sales person it was very cometitive but fair, Creating an atmosphere of competition, with team atmosphere all working together to build the organization and build each other monitarily and educationally. The company also had fantastic history.The original owner was the inventor of the razor ribbon used in WW11.This gave credibility to the company and a way to build raport. The pay was also fair, The actual last time i have seen this in Phoenix. The pay for sales personel in Arizona is not right. The Arizona right to work laws have ruined motivational incentives for real sale people to earn wat they are work. Tech has been muc of this problem also. No human interaction.
Pros
Good helping people
Cons
The president of rent a fence. Insulting, condisending, something I am the opposite of.
A very interesting place to work, family oriented, owner died recently but he was very entertaining, funny and kept you laughting and on your toes
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2012
A typical day including arriving every morning at 8:00, immediately started lining up crews for the day which included doing a takeoff of materials needed for that job and created 1 or more purchase orders for the materials needed, after the crews went out, answered phones, gave estimates, bid on jobs, entered data in the computer, entered bills, sales etc into the computer, handled incoming orders etc.I had a very interesting group of coworkers, we often joked that if we would have been keeping track of everything that happened throughout the years that we could have made a television show, there were so many interesting, different people that came and went throughout the years, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with so many various customers I guess you would say the selling aspect of the job was enjoyable, the hardest part of this job was after the company thriving for so many years in the last couple of years the economy finally took it's toll on the company, also at the same time the owner got cancer for the 3rd time and lost the battle with cancer the last time both of which took a devastating toll on the company which resulted in a decision of the company being closed after 54 years in business.
Pros
good pay, lighthearted atmosphere, if you needed to leave to pick up your child on the spur of the moment you could
Cons
very stressful at certain times, especially in the mornings where there was a rush to get the installation crews out
Small fence company
Foreman / Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Hayden, IDMay 29, 2012
Learned how to lead a small 3 person crew to construct fences and other odd jobs around yards. Really enjoyed working for the owner and the other crew members. The hardest part of the job was not making enough money. But every other aspect of the job was enjoyable.
Pros
come home every day and working in toun
Cons
not making enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Fence Company. Our community is ready to answer.

American Fence Company Reviews by Location