American Fidelity Assurance Company

American Fidelity Assurance Company Employee Reviews

Horrible training/management
Sales conservation (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 19, 2016
My typical mindset while working at AFA was just trying to get through the day while trying to maintain my sanity. Under the worst management you could possibly imagine. Experienced verbal abuse during one on one sessions along with horrible training yet still desired unrealistic expectations for my development under incompetent supervision.
Pros
Good benefits, hours
Cons
Training/management
Fast paced and detail oriented sales
Insurance Agent/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 8, 2013
Insurance Agent/Account Representative/Health Care Reform Specialist, May 2012-Present
Licenses: Life and Health, Series 6 and 63; IN, MI, OH, KY, IL, MD, Washington DC
*Sold $121,071.07 in total premium, $65,273 in commissionable sales in 2013 between cancer, accident, critical illness, life, disability insurances and annuities
*Responsible for growing current relationships and developing new relationships with executive level k-12 public school leadership
*Received excellent customer service scores from both administrations and individual employees
*Benefits advisor under Section 125 of the IRS tax code counseling employees in medical insurance, flexible spending, dependent daycare, health savings accounts, disability, life, cancer, accident and critical illness insurances as well as annuities
*Health care reform educator
Loved this job!!
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  South AlabamaJanuary 6, 2014
A typical day at work usually began around 7:30 am and would end around 3:30-4:00pm. I was usually working with educators and administrators to find solutions for them and their families in the form of protection through benefits and retirement planning. I enjoyed meeting and getting to know different people and it gave me a great sense of pride to know that I had helped them, in many cases when they would need it most. My manager was great!!! He always pointed out my strengths before he would address my weaknesses. He was understanding and patient with all of the Account Representatives.
Pros
Great work day if you have kids...usually on the same schedule as teachers.
Cons
For me, I had to travel weekly since my territory had not been developed. Not good if married with kids.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 7, 2014
Working at American Fidelity was great every job was challenging. I learned a lot about all aspect of insurance, STD, LTD, portable coverages Accident, Cancer amongst others. AFA has good and bad management which is a problem. The hardest part of the job is when you do not have enough work. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the activities AFA provides through out the year. AFA also provides colleagues with the opportunity to help organizations as volunteers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Better management
Wonderful employee benefits
Customer Service/Flexible Spending Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 12, 2012
We were able to chose our work schedules so it easier to plan things. I was able to learn alot regarding supplemental coverages and how benefits were paid. Unfortuneately the team leaders need a little help. One that I had did not really know the product we were processing claims on. And they need to slack off the meetings they have. Out of a 8 hr work day, she would be in meetings over 4 hrs of the day. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting the participants and speaking to them daily.
Pros
yearly bonus
Cons
not really any.
Employer of Choice Company
HRIS Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2012
Family oriented. On Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For. The company has a great CEO. I am lucky to be with company but I am currently looking to relocated to the Longmont, Colorado area. Colorado - are you listening? Come and get me - I'd be a great asset to any company.

My typical work day is about 10 to 11 hours. I try to get into work between 5:30 am and 6:00 am. I work hard but there is a great payoff to working hard. I've been there almost nine years and I've never called in sick! My Co-workers are great to work with, very team oriented and fun to work with. My co-workers have high expectations and strive to do a good job. The environment is very team oriented The hardest part of job is the high expectations placed on us by management as well as ourselves.
Pros
too many to name; on-site medical clinic; state of the art fitness center; on-site grill
Great pay, great benefits
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 5, 2014
The benefits and bonuses received along with the hourly pay was always a great incentive.
Bad Management and No Opportunity for Newcomers
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 23, 2012
This is the WORST company I've ever worked for! Where do I begin?
First, managment at least in California is blind sided by the fact that they haven't worked in the field in years, for some decades. They treat employees poorly and expect you to sign your life away given the fact that they provide a "company car". You spend weeks at a time working 5-10 hours away from home. They don't tell you that when you're first brought on board. It's a seasonal job. Your selling season is really in the fall. For the remainder of the year, you have a few school districts to work in your immediate/neighboring territories and consequently you're always struggling to meet your sales quota.
Pros
flexible spending account
Cons
weak management and not enough opportunity
Valuable experience
Analyst, Investment, Closing and Servicing Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 14, 2015
I have worked at this company for 16 years and have obtained valuable experience in the commercial lending industry.
My co-workers are easy to work with. Upper management listens to the employees and have made several policy changes due to employee suggestions.
A Friendly and Productive Workplace
Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 6, 2014
Working as an Actuarial Intern at American Fidelity was a challenging yet valuable experience. I learned many analytical insurance concepts as well as create macros using Visual Basic on Microsoft Excel. The problems presented to me were challenging, but my work colleagues were always willing to help answer questions and progress my knowledge and actuary skills. Everyone there was very self-motivated and it was enjoyable working with them on teams to achieve common goals. I would highly recommend American Fidelity Assurance for their friendly and productive workplace, as well as the Actuarial Intern position for those looking to gain valuable job experience.
Very good Corporate Company with great values.
Programmer Aide/ Security Aide (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 23, 2013
Assisted computer programmers to implement their programs and run their jobs on the mainframe. Assisted the Company security officer by doing mainframe security for company along with email admin. Performed general office tasks for department - Bill preparation, filing, computer support for field personnel, meeting planning, scheduling department meetings for assistant CIO, Travel arrangement for department staff.
I learned a lot with this company. I basically learned to be fluent on a computer and did many executrain classes to bring my skills up to date. My co-workers were amazing and I learned how valuable co-workers are.
Pros
Very pro learning and advancing their employees.
Cons
Large company that you can get lost in the size of it.
Productive and fun work environment
Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 24, 2014
American Fidelity Assurance Company is a family orienting work environment. My five years of working for this company we as a company made Fortune's 100 list of best companies to work for four of the five years I worked at this company.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Qualification for management
Productive and fun workplace with on-site health clinic and workout facility.
Senior Counsel (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 7, 2012
Productive and fun workplace with on-site health clinic and workout facility.
Pros
on-site health clinic and workout facility.
Cons
not much advancement opportunities.
American Fidelity is a great place to work
Rep, Imaging Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 20, 2013
My day at work is always a good day, I have learned to do multiple tasks in the EBS/Imaging department. I work well with my co-workers, the most enjoyable part of the job is talking, laughing and going out to lunch with my team leader and co-workers
Pros
always give away gift cards and tickets to go to the football and basketball games
Cons
we have breaks, birthdays we have cake and ice cream
Great place for employment, needs more managament skills
Workstation Infrastructure Team (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 8, 2013
Was a great place to work for but management level wasn't well due to lack of commucation from everyone in office area.
Pros
learn to trouble shoot applications
Cons
work overload
Fun working environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 1, 2014
Loved working for the company. They did a lot for employee support.
Pros
Free lunches and support
Cons
management
Alot of Travel
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 28, 2012
If you are single and no family it would be great, but to much travel for a family person.
Pros
flexibility in scheduling, certain parts of the year
Cons
travel, living out of a bag
My experience was awful
Rather not say (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City OKSeptember 19, 2012
A typical day at work was spent in an office, alone, with minimal guidance or training from my manager. I was responsible for "thinking through" issues before I was even comfortable with the culture of the company or my responsibilities. In short, what I'm saying is that I did not have the training in the job to succeed. Instead of talking with me about projects, etc, she would send a lengthy email detailing exactly what she wanted me to do. It was weird. She would have a senior person in the department (who has worked there for 10 years without a promotion) "monitor" the rest of us secretly, and then confront us about anything that she didn't like on Friday afternoons. I got the sense that she did this so that we would have a bad weekend and be scared about our Monday morning meetings. The senior co-worker I mentioned worked so hard to earn her respect. She would repeatedly - in meetings and in passing - criticize this poor guy. She constantly told stories about how smart she was about everything in every situation. I've never seen a manager toot their own horn the way she does... especially while being so critical of others. I left after she confronted me one Friday afternoon about one thing, and then 10 minutes later, another thing. And then she called me in my office and said something like "I can't believe you don't know the difference between X and Y." That was actually false. I did understand the difference; she was putting words in my mouth. So there I was, defending that I did know the difference while she was attacking me for something else. That episode was followed  more... up by 3 harassing (in my opinion) emails that weekend, followed by a fourth email indicating that it was time for my yearly review. Who does that? In addition, the company culture seemed cult-ish, with all kinds of AFA promotional items all over the place. I also felt uncomfortable with the Christian prayer at the beginning of every meeting. I know it's a private company in one of the most religious states. But I have never worked for a corporation that does this.  less
Pros
flexible schedules, generally nice people
Cons
there are some really, really, bad managers.
Community atmosphere,fun place to work
Accounting Assistant/CSR II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 22, 2015
Process accounts payable invoices for payment, paid accounts receivable invoices, updated excel spreadsheets for GL coding.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
short breaks
not good
Insurance Sales (Former Employee) –  indianapolis/fort wayneMay 2, 2012
they run you all over the state to schools. then they have no shame letting you go with no notice for no reason and without telling you why. They didnt even have the decency to do it in person, they called me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Fidelity Assurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.