American General Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

My department was the best department ever.
TAX ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 13, 2015
Very due date or deadline driven. Often went to class to update and learn any new updates. Managers very understanding to family needs. Had the best coworkers, we got a long and most were friends outside of work. Crunch time at year end was the most difficult in needing to get all the information from different department to meet the deadline. The department was very friendly and enjoyable.
Pros
Holiday lunches, appreciation week, acknowledgement
Cons
annual raises, promotions
Good Company
Analyst Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 7, 2014
Good people, knowledgeable employees.

Life insurance company, good work atmosphere.
Pros
flexible work hours in most departments
Cons
30 minute lunch
would not recommend to anyone
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2014
I enjoyed my job as a Licensed Agent. However, I do not have any recommendations for the company.
Pros
no comments
Cons
no comments
Sales/Service of Life/Health insurances.
Licensed Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 19, 2014
Sales and servicing of Life, Health Insurance an Annuity accounts in a geographic area. Collections of premiums due within given timeframes. Interacting with prospects, selling insurance products regularly and keeping products paid to date.
Pros
commission allowed one to earn a good income.
Cons
sales quotas wetre somewhat unrealistic.
at time i worked there it was restructing.
mircofilm techican (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2014
the company was restructing and buying new companies. great people to work with, great hours sometimes had to work overtime.
Pros
nice people
Cons
strict rules
Flexible Schedule, Fun, and Competitive
Career Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 19, 2013
American General is a great company to work for, the work schedule is very flexible making work/life balance so much easier. There is plenty of competition around the office to keep employees motivated. The hardest part about the job is that you get paid based on performance, so there are chances of not getting a great paycheck if you have a terrible week.
The best insurance company in the nation
Administrative Assistant, Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2013
Great company culture and benefits before AIG bought the company; benefits declined after AIG took over
Pros
great company culture
Cons
none before aig took over
Job Security
APA Programmer/APA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 3, 2013
• Worked with and within several programs and created scripting to have all programs speaking to each other.
• Worked with other teams such as the mainframe group and the database group to coordinate projects and effort.
• Followed state requirements as well as company requirements and kept track of frequent changes.
• Worked on several major projects such as Project Optimus where we had to change the company name from Western National Life to American General. This was a major undertaking as thousands of files and major coding had to be updated.
• Helped other teams with projects they were on as they did not have access to the same programs.
• Provided insight with my peers to help create an engaged team.
Pros
benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
pay increases
Nice people , Not enough room to advance , Hard to balance work life and home life
Replacement/ Exchange Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2013
American General was a very nice place to work at. The Management(some) and employees are wonderful! It's almost like a big family. A typical day would be to come in a review life applications for replacements.I would have to contact the agent or agencies and notify them of anything that was needed to get the policy out.I learned how to be better at teamwork. Working there also taught me to work independently and make critical decisions by myself because a manager wasn't always around. I became more organized and it taught me how to be more detailed in my work.Overall it is a enjoyable company but balancing work and home life because you have to take certain classes and volunteer which isn't bad , but it became a must instead of a want which makes it take away from the competitive nature of a job.Also not enough advancement for all employees.
Pros
work environment, co-workers, different opportunitites
Cons
not enough advancement opportunities, hard to balance work/life
Enjoyable position offering life insurance products to public.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAOctober 23, 2012
Reviewed insurance products and needs for clients and updated profiles. Made collections for current insurance products and attempted sales for new products. Requested new contacts for potential sales and insurance reviews. Developing client confidence and desire for insurance products can be difficult to accomplish. Meeting new clients was enjoyable.
Pros
operating laptop and handling clients files., promoting need for insurance and benefits of insurance products.
Cons
having sales quotas to meet as new agent while developing client confidence.