American Girl Place Employee Reviews

Productive and fun working place
Seasonal Guest Services/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2017
The environment was amazing. The managers are great to their associates. My coworkers made work fun and relaxing.The customers are fun and enjoyable to be around.
Not a great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2016
I did not like working here. This is a horrible place to work at. The management was very very bad and I would never ever work for this company again.
Working for American Girl Place Los Angeles.
Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2016
Overall American Girl Place/ Mattel, has been a good company to work for. Working as a Loss Prevention agent for this company is more customer service oriented. Its not a typical L.P. environment like working for Robinsons May but its less intense. We hardly see any action in the shoplifting side of the L.P. job. When I first started working for AGPLA, the store had lots of customer traffic. But in the last couple of years, the traffic has been decreasing.
For the most part, my coworkers have been good employees and very fast learners in picking up the concept of the L.P. job. For the others, they were here just a short time because they were either caught stealing or violated company policies.
The hardest part of the job.........not really. Just with the parking situation at the Grove. Employees have to pay for parking or park far away from the store.
The most enjoyable part of the Job is when we escort celebrities or heads of state. I had the pleasure of meeting Al Pachino..... cool.
Pros
very good employee benefits
Cons
In the last few years, the company has been cutting positions and no one is safe from being laid off.
Magical Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Great Place great enviornment different kind of experience, great management and great co workers. Holiday season is the best season, very fast paced.
Fun for the customers
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 5, 2015
I learned a lot from this job as I became a supervisor and grew to a manager while I was there. There are no requirements to get hired as a sales associate however they get paid really well for what they do or lack there of. Although the desired culture is high level customer service there is no coaching the staff to rise to that level.
Pros
Mattel was in the top 100 companies to work for
Cons
lack of consistent coaching of staff
Productive and fun work environment
Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2015
A typical day at work involves me clocking in and then figuring out what section i would be working in. After i do that i go pick up a headset and radio and go to the section i'm working in. Then, I basically stay in my section filling the floor while answering people if they need my help. While working there I learned that not everything will go how you want it and that you can't make every customer happy. The management was always there to help no matter the call. The co-workers are what makes it so easy to work there they liven the mood up while doing their job and if asked help you too. The hardest part of the just for me not being able to make all the customers happy or having to deal with customers who are not in the best mood. The most enjoyable part was being able to meet new people and being able to work in a great working environment.
Work place
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  NEW YORK CITYJanuary 24, 2015
Making stock room is full and operating ,supervisors make sure everything is operating
One of the friendliest places to work
Retail Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2015
A great culture to work in. If you are looking for a retail job American Girl has to be one of the best places to be. The culture is so strong and everyone has a great attitude day after day.

American Girl is a division of Mattell which consistently ranks as one of the best companies to work for and it shows.
very positive contact with customers
Seasonal Sales Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2014
Retail environment where you had the opportunity to please customers due to the vast amount of products offered.
Pros
customer contact
Cons
retail environment
Employed at American Girl Place
Merchandise Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2014
American girl was a very high pace environment, customers were purchasing products, the store was overly crowded. each worker have their own area to work in a quick timely manner to stack merchandise for customers to buy. working at american girl was a good experience and different, the pace never stop we work by the timely clock, the enjoyable part of this job was that when the store was overly crowded we always got the work assignments done.
Hard work
Busser (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 1, 2014
A typical day at work included back pains and laughter. Working here, I've learned to be quick on my feet. I also learned that not everyone in a work place gets along all the time. The management team, they were pretty much great even though there was one manager that didn't like me because the other workers always complimented me on how great my work was. I pretty much got along with all of my co-workers. I was the one that everyone loved because I did not engage in gossip and I was the one who everyone told their secrets to. My hardest part of this job was carrying 90 pound bus tubs all day and having to get to work by 5:30 am.
Pros
Gaining friends, learning about the company, making kids happy, and celebrating special moments with people.
Cons
Heavy bus tubs
Great work enviroment
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2014
I enjoyed working at American Girl. I loved being on the sales floor assisting customers.
great if you love children
sales (Former Employee) –  10017May 17, 2014
easy work
easy money
great customers (most of the time)
not stressful
Pros
a lot
Cons
management could be better
fun place
Senior Seller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2014
Great company love the kids and interacting with the guests
Overall
Cashier (Former Employee) –  NY, NYMarch 28, 2014
Wonderful job - from environment down to staff ! EXCELLENT - as a former employee this was one of my favorite jobs , granted I worked during the holiday season , the job remained busy and each employee got a chance to explore.
Play to win!!
Customer Rep/Personal Shopper Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2014
Its a great place to work ! Worked for 9 years easy to excel in the company if your a serious hard worker !!
Pros
Its fun and your getting paid to play with children
Cons
Management, Promotions
Nice people, fun products.
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2014
If you like working with kids this is a great place. This company cares about the experiences they provide to their customers.
Great product and Fun place to work, poor management
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2014
The company offers a lot in terms of benefits, and its a magical place to work because your client base is a group of little girls and the product is fun. Not a difficult job at all just come to work on time ALL the time and even if you suck at your job you'll still keep it. They don't hold their associates accountable for their performance. A lot of favoritism. Only store in NY so no room for growth unless you transfer to another state. Management and associates live very separate work lives and rarely intertwine, very strange.
Pros
Great Pay, 30% discount, Free Mattel products and lots of raffles
Cons
unfair management, no room for growth.
Loved it!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 21, 2014
I loved the work environment. Management was friendly but still respected. Hours were great and so was the pay.
Good Work place
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 7, 2014
Learned about sales goals we needed to meet, great leaders in this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Girl Place. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3