American Girl Employee Reviews

Interesting place to work for!
Café Runner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2017
American girl was a pleasure to work for! I loved my bosses and the company. As a person who loves children, it was an honor to serve the children who came through the cafe and make them smile. As for my co-workers, they did not always feel as positive toward the environment as I did, which made working there not as positive of an experience as I hoped but, still a great one! I would definitely work there again :)
Great place to work!
Direct Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIMay 24, 2017
They provide incentives as well as a fun environment to work in. Typically I would come in and find a spot to work from that day and set up my station with all necessary programs/websites open and ready. Then I would get on the phones and continue to assist customers. I would take new orders as well as assist with existing orders or customer service issues. The job itself was pretty easy in my opinion as I have extensive customer service knowledge. The hardest part of the position was just getting updated on all new information that was changing constantly.
Pros
Seasonal position, busy so day went fast
Cons
hard to take scheduled breaks due to being so busy
The place was "ok" for work.
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 18, 2017
I really can not remember much from the time I worked there.
But I did learn "a lot" of loss prevention skills while I was there and I also enjoyed protecting the children everyday.
American Girl was very exciting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 10, 2017
American Girl was a company that I think everyone should visit.
Working at this company allowed me to enjoy and execute my customer service skills to not only a younger audience but also an older crowd that loves to collect AG Dolls. Management was very by the book but also fun.
The hardest part about working here is trying not to spend all of my money on dolls and clothes for my nieces. I enjoyed every part of working for this company.
Pros
Definitely being able to experience working there.
Cons
No Cons
Fun working for a toy company
Direct Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmot, WIMay 8, 2017
Fun speaking with many different people all over the world. Great training. Supervisors and co-workers are very nice and helpful. Enjoyed suggesting product to customers. Hours adaptable to your availability.
Pros
Free snacks & product distribution
Loved working for them
Direct Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 3, 2017
Great place to work, care about their employees. Working with a lot of females was fun. Always felt like they were there to help me and answer questions as needed.
Fun Place but downsizing management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 28, 2017
Fun place, great products, bring joy to lots of children, corporate is to removed from store level to understand how their changes trickle down and cause hardship at store level.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Work 7 days a week, lose holidays and weekends
good starting out job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 12, 2017
its a good place for a young fresh face starting out, management is the biggest area in need of improvement following pay. The restaurant is small so its far from overwhelming
Pros
free lunches
Cons
inconsistent schedule
Great benefits, poor work/life balance
Direct Service Associate (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 11, 2017
learned a lot of the Mattel family and its roots but will never work in a call center again. loved the international calls when I was moved up to direct sales.
Pros
games for employees, great discounts
Cons
always had to been either on call or on the job, felt like just a number
Needs to Go Back
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  USAApril 11, 2017
American Girl has lost it's way in recent years. It use to be a wonderful environment with wonderful quality dolls.

Mattel has stepped in and tried to turn it into Barbie but expensive.

The work culture claims to be family oriented but is not. Benefitted workers often have to work holidays. The vibe is the job should be your life.

Corporate is a mess and needs to be overhauled.

It's next to impossible to let go of people who are not a good fit for their position.

The company could turn around and go back to being one of the top to work for if they would stop being so nickels and dimes driven.

Focus on the employee happiness focus on the costumer happiness!
Pros
Good insurance, Good PTO for benefitted (rarely can be used around holidays)
Cons
Pay, Corporate, Quality, Micro managers
The kitchen was fun to work with
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 2, 2017
Had lots of fun working with everyone in the kitchen management was okay only a couple of managers would actually help you and show you how things are done properly. helped me get my food handlers card one manager would quiz me every so often so I would pass the exam.
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 24, 2017
I would start by opening the restaurant, getting silverware, ice, make coffee, etc. I would take my guests order, provide them with excellent service. I have learned a lot about history through the dolls. The hardest thing to do was everyone's side work when they slacked off. Some people asked, who was on ice, etc. I would just do it myself, I would run other server's food, help them out in anyway they needed. the best part of my job was the little girls that came in for lunch or dinner, they would get really excited when I gave them a chair for their doll and a tea cup and saucer. They also were able to take them home, not the chairs. The Birthday Parties were the best. Especially when there was a deluxe party in a private room. The birthday girl received A crown and all the dolls had one as well, and each girl had a goody bag to take home. I only have one boy, and seeing the girl's faces light up was very heartwarming.
Pros
During holidays, the HR Dept. would set out food for us depending on the holiday
Cons
There was no health care, our charged tips went on our paycheck, instead of getting it after your shift
A fun place to work
Retail Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 9, 2017
This company believes in having fun at work and encourages creativity and new ideas. Management partners with associates weekly to find out how they are doing and to provide training.
Not the greatest
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 7, 2017
Most of the time the hostess was very judgmental and if she did not like you then she would not give you any tables to wait on. The management did nothing about it when you confronted them either
Fun place to work
Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 3, 2017
Great company to work with, good benefits and job security. The management team is fair and they will do what it takes to make their employees grow in the company.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
N/a
great job
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2017
it is a awesome fun job to work at . Everyone loves it. if you love kids youll love it here. fast fun and friendly place. be aware the job doesnt give many hours.
Pros
fun
Cons
no hours
Would stil be there if it wasnt for the outsourcing of IT Infrastructure
Client Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIFebruary 21, 2017
Mattel bought American Girl, and the awesome pay, benefits, great work environment all went by the wayside. For Mattel, its all about the stock price and money. THey care little for their employees. Experienced employees are often let go because they cost too much. American Girl, when owned locally, was one of the best places to work at. Not anymore.
Pros
Mattel Owns the company
Cons
Always cutting costs, employees, benefits, etc
Fun Workplace
Bakery/Dessert Bar Server (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2017
A typical work day would be prep readiness, and everything is stock for the rest of the day. Responsibility are mostly keeping an eye always on the front end counter. Management were very professional and always caring if we had any questions on the front end. The workplace very diverse--but the hardest part I think is making sure that everything is done right the first time.--and the most enjoyable is see customers walking away with a great smile.
Great Job opportunity
Fulfillment Processor (Former Employee) –  DeForest, WIFebruary 17, 2017
Working a seasonal employee at American Girl was very nice. The pay was decent and the people were nice to work with. They know how to treat their employees well.
Great company to start out
Former member (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIFebruary 14, 2017
Exciting if you are starting your career due to work/life balance - but there are many flaws within the company's supply chain. Benefits are great and the company has been around for a long time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Girl. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval