American Golf Employee Reviews

Very Laid Back Workplace
Cart Attendant and Course Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 12, 2017
The work day was very simple and laid back. Typically, I was tasked with driving along the course and making sure that all golfers had access to drinking water as they played. I was also tasked with keeping trash cans empty to ensure a sanitary playing environment. Finally, at the end of each shift, I was required to have all 80 golf carts parked in the appropriate order.
Pros
Free Golf
Absolutely Disconnected Corporate office
Wait Staff Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 9, 2017
Unfortunately the company itself puts managers in place who have no idea how to operate the courses. they are disconnected from the staff and the events. It is a "Boys club" ….so if you do not conform or golf with the big boys, you will have no job as soon as one of their friends needs to be hired.

They have so much harassment and HR nightmares and no-one addresses them. If you say anything, you will be the one fired.

100 percent own you. THe hours are long and pay is average. Each worker has a different "deal" in place. The goal is the worst managers for the cheapest price. I would stay clear if you want security…..Every day a different story.
Pros
Local nice scenery
Cons
Poor Management
La Mirada Golf Course in California
Cart Barn Attendant, Starter, Food and Beverage (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAOctober 16, 2016
Poor management of payroll from regional to individual general manager. Frequently scheduled me and others during school hours and almost forced us to come in instead of go to class. At the course I worked at, they used illegal aliens for course maintenance and to work in the cart barn. They require you to work 6 plus hours without taking a break. If you work in food and beverage they will not pay you for any over time and they expect you to come in all hours of the day and night and they want you to work off the clock.
Pros
Free golf, free driving range
Cons
No breaks, 12 hour shifts required, poor management.
Good workplace environment. Management was supportive.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXOctober 12, 2016
Golf tournament sales was primary responsibility. Managed existing business as well as continually prospecting for new business. AGC provided training and was very good with recognition and rewards.
Pros
Recognition
Cons
Upper management changed and so emphasis on sales also changed, not as important as it was before.
Great place to work for
Food &Beverage Director (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 6, 2016
American Golf, Recreation Park 18 specifically, is a great place to work. Managing and growing a cafe, kitchen, outdoor operations, and a banquet facility are all part of a routine day. Learning how to budget, forecast, and track expenses and revenue have been key. Through my years with the company, managing a team of 8 to managing a team of close to 30 has been challenging but also it has taught me a lot of how to individually and collectively manage a team. I've learned that my piers have been my greatest asset and knowing when to lean and rely on them is just as important as knowing when not to. The hardest part of my job is not taking advantage of my course benefits. However, the best part of my job is when there is a window to get out and play golf, even if it's only 3-5 holes.
Pros
Balanced life
Cons
Lack of Salary increases
Fun and financially rewarding
Director of Sales (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 23, 2016
I grew into my management career with American Golf. I won awards and leaded a fantastic team. The hardest part was leaving. I loved the amount of events I helped run and attended. I'm very proud of my time at American Golf.
productive, busy
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 29, 2016
learned great customer service skills.
great company and co workers were very kind and professional
there was no hard part to my job. i enjoyed the whole environment.
Fun workplace
server, golf cart attendant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be setting up for an event and catering the guests, I learned how to make sure everyone enjoys their time at split rock golf course wether they are playing golf on a beautiful sunny day or having a party. The managers are really nice people who understand the staff and always try to accommodate their needs, my coworkers are fun and energetic and take their job seriously especially when their is a big event going on. The hardest part of the job for me is carrying heavy trays to serve or bus but my coworkers always give me a hand when they aren't busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see the happy faces on our guests because of us. It makes me so happy!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hard to get there by public transportation
Great Company to Work For
Private Event Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 7, 2016
Wonderful company culture
Great compensation
Little work life balance
Long Hours
A lot of opportunity for growth
Many locations around the U.S
Pros
High Pay
Cons
Little Work Life Balance
had difficulty working with corp. managemanet
Food and Beverage Director (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 8, 2015
very demanding and under appreciated. realized the expectations for the membership but unrealistic in trying to do your job without the necessary tools to perform your duties. I've worked for some very good companies, ie. Hyatt and Marriott but never experienced what I had to go through with this company.
Pros
supposed free golf but no time to play
Cons
everything else

Want to know more about American Golf?

Ask a question
Great starting job
Sales Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJuly 29, 2015
Great place to work right out of school while still trying to figure out my desired career path. Happened to have a lot of great role models at my disposal.
Kind of a joke
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  San Juan CapistranoAugust 16, 2014
Old, nasty rich people who complain allday long. You can never make them happy no matter what. The schedule changed all the time so that sucked. My boss was cool but it was really hard for him - he was stressed out all the day (I think he left after me) Other employees were pretty good, most of them anyway... It was more just that the members were grumpy all the time. They are rich, why should they be so grumpy? I also heard that they never give raises to anyone - not fair at all - some guys have worked their for a long time and no raises? I don't know if this is true but many guys told me this. If true, that's why moral is low.
Pros
My boss was great and did his best
Cons
Totally disorganized - GM was kind of odd
productive but limited growth
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 3, 2014
Great value and learning experience however there is little room for growth
Great Time
Tournament Sales (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAAugust 1, 2014
Ended bad but had fun, Great On site manager but poor upper management
Pros
Great perks
Cons
Lousy schedules and cheap company
productive workplace,without the ping pong table
Line Cook/Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAApril 1, 2014
Fun loving place to work, coworkers are helpful and fun to work with.
fun, par-time
Membership Sales (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CaliforniaMarch 18, 2014
making new tee times for members, teeing them off on time, making sure events ran smoothing and timely. Selling of new membership, and pro shop goods.
Pros
temp. position, fun, easy
Cons
not enough hours
Good for your 2nd job or for fun!!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Marbella Country Club, San Juan Capistrano, CAJanuary 14, 2014
I worked for Marbella Country Club and I do not recommend it to anyone unless you DO NOT plan on using employee benefits like GOLF or expecting good money ... If you are a beginner to Food and Beverage and live with mom and dad still or if its your 2nd job for extra income maybe its a good job... I was told when hired that I made 18% gratuity and when I started working everyone said we only make 12% that the club keeps the other 6%... WOW... The members at Marbella average about 75 years of age and are some of the most grumpy stuck up old people I have ever seen (They need to realize that they are not at a 5 diamond club, more like 2 diamond)... The club is out dated and beat up and American Golf needs to invest in some remodeling!! They need to pay good employees good money or that place will be ran to the ground quickly..
Hopefully someone steps up and pulls some legal action on the gratuity holdings, I just quit once I heard that... I tried to bring some friends to golf with me and got denied by my place of work... I was embarrassed to tell people I worked there!!
Pros
Management was cool and laid-back
Cons
Terrible compensation and employee benefits
Great place to work.
-Low pay
-Little room for advancement
no work life balance
Director of Private Events (Former Employee) –  PasadenaMarch 21, 2013
The National Director of Sales for American Golf does not believe in work life balance, and has highly unrealistic expectations of the Private Event sales managers and directors. He constantly piles new, time consuming yet somehow urgent projects on their plates as well as the most unrealistic prospecting goals I have ever seen. (50 LIVE calls per week). They rarely have administrative assistants or accountants at their clubs and an archaic CMS system (Sage) which is constantly breaking down and allows for many errors, including but not limited to double booking of space. All event accounting is done by the sales managers. They have many clubs that are very run down and in dire need of renovation. They are often short staffed on the service side and have many complaints about this and the food quality. They are very restrictive with regards to menu and pricing flexibility. They are very disorganized and tend to throw directors in without any guidance or basic training, You are essentially on your own. You must report every call, site, networking or email contact that you make in their Sage CMS system which is extremely time consuming, taking sales managers away from selling. And Directors are expected to sell more than managers, plus complete the multitude of other projects that are piled on almost daily. If you don't drink their hardcore sales philosophy kool-aid and follow every rule, you will be sorry. Corp and social politics rule the show here. It's was like high school… and 70 hour work weeks. And expect to share a very small office with your team. Poor insurance. Forget  more... it. Look elsewhere.  less
Cons
unrealistic goals and expectations, poor service, corp. politics, poor benefits.
Wonderful work envirionment at one of Colorado's premiere golf facilities.
Assistant Golf Professional/Pro Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 18, 2013
My typical day would be to organize and prepare the Golf Shop to ensure a positive experience for our guests.I would also oversee the overall daily customer service of the Golf Staff, as well as, coordinate golf lessons with a variety of members.
I worked with a management team that provided knowledge of tournament coordination and sales of other gatherings, as well as the overall understanding of the operations of the Golf Shop.
I was given the opportunity to build and nurture positive relationships with our member base.
Pros
a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of one of colorado's most recognized golf facility
Cons
a very difficult commute and the job required long hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Golf. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9