American Greetings Employee Reviews

I love my job at American Greetings
Part-Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2015
I have been a merchandiser since 2010 starting with Nabisco and then for various other merchandising companies. I love this field as work and honestly American Greetings has been my favorite and best merchandising job out of it all.

Typical work day: I check my orders on the company based employee only website, I plan out the days I can go to the store so I can bring my orders out to the sales floor (cards of course, gift wrap, stickers, bags, season products, etc...). I have to track my own time of when I come in and out of my stores and input them in the system later. I work independently. I have 4 stores in my route that I have to service.

What I learned: I learned how American Greetings operate as a company. I am very much involved with inventory with my Motorola hand-held. I order card products for certain stores and keep track of products no longer in use.

Management: I am fortunate to have a great manager. He is our territory supervisor and is very helpful and nice. It is easy to communicate with him and he makes sure we are properly trained in our work.

Your co-workers: Since we mostly work independently alone, we don't really see our co-workers. Our co-workers are usually the workers in the store that see us on a regular basis. On special occasion when I do work with AG co-workers (like for a re-model or re-merchandise of a store) they are all nice.

The hardest part about the job: Was learning the terminology and how to do work a little differently for each of the stores. I service a grocery chain, a dollar store, and a big pack store. So, each chain does things
  more... differently.

The most enjoyable part about the job: It is part time, flexible. I get to chose when I can work as long as I make my weekly visits to the stores I am assigned to. I get to work around my shipment orders and be a college student at the same time.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Not a Good Company to Work
Part-time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLNovember 27, 2012
Typical day at work is that you will receive on average 1.7 hours in a store that has over 4 rows of cards, 2 sections of party goods and bags, not including the seasonal merchandise to stock and do clean sweeps. This does not include going into the stockroom to obtain your merchandise--hopefully you are able to get to your merchandise.
I practically was thrown into the lion's den with this job. Although I was "trained" on the computer, there is nothing like doing the job hands on. I was put into situations that were not on the training. You are responsible for purchasing your own tools i.e., rubber bands, tape, etc. No reimbursement for those items and no mileage on your regular calls.
Management--what management. We only received e-mails informing us of what is expected of us and to give management a call if needed. When the call is made to management, you never get an answer--straight to voicemail with no return call. Send an e-mail requesting an answer and there is no response or if you get a response, it's "it must have went into my spam file."
My co-workers were wonderful as they know what each one is going through.
The hardest part of the job and another thing that you are not told is that you are responsible for talking to the managers of the stores to be allowed to put a particular item out on the floor. Most of the time the managers are no where to be found or if found, they are too busy to speak with you, or if they stop, the answer is there is no room. Management should be responsible for this part of the job!!
The most enjoyable part of the job is working alone
  more... and meeting the customers.
If you do this job for supplemental income or especially for your only income, you will be highly disappointed. On average, a merchandiser is assigned 3-4 stores and only receive 4-5 hours total for the week.
Pros
work alone
Cons
overworked and underpaid; management does not communicate; hours are not satisfactory.
Terrible company to work for!
Primary Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  SoutheastJune 23, 2012
Management gives nothing in the way of adequate pay or consideration yet expects you to drop everything for "card emergencies" which of course are nonexistent, unnecessary and ridiculous. You can be given as little as 30 minutes work in a store and for this you are expected to drive 30 miles, uncompensated, to get there for such a waste of time. Work is bearable at most times but the amount of time you are expected to read memos and instructions that are sent daily by regular mail, mandatory website notifications, and email, sometimes as many as 20 meaningless emails a day, take up a huge waste of time which is mandatory but again, unpaid. Add to that the fact that you must maintain a land line phone or you will not be hired (again, no compensation, yet mandatory) and this job is not worth the money you make.

This should be an enjoyable, independently done, low stress job. This is not brain surgery and when I am scheduled as little as 90 minutes a week I should not have to check email twice a day, everyday. Most memos are irrelevant, repetitious and management doesn't even use their own site, which is supposed to be used for communication and I am required to check daily, only to find there is no information there. Instead my personal email is clogged with American Greetings spam so much so that I dread opening mail. This job should not be high tech---you are just fluffing cards. I did it for many, many years--it is no longer worth the grief. They should have left well enough alone.
Cons
many
Respectable and Safety Oriented
Engraver 1 (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJune 8, 2012
American Greetings is a nice company to work for. I worked in a cubicle that included my engraving table, tools, shelves, and most importantly, my radio. Hours and hours of working on intricate designs can lead to burnout without a radio, or something else to listen to while you work. I learned to create brass and copper emboss dies that were used on the Bobst press machines to emboss the greeting cards. It usually takes five years of training for an engraver to cut a reasonably nice die, and I enjoyed the challenges of learning this skill, as well as the design challenges that came along with it later. I was the one of the two go-to-guys when a very nice design had to be engraved. I had a lot of respect for my co-workers, supervisors and managers, and I feel they respected me, also. The hardest part of the job for me was having to cut the same design multiple times because all of the finished dies had to look the same. I was able to accomplish this fairly well, but it becomes boring after you've conquered your first design. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to use my artistic and creative skills. I also liked working with my co-workers and helping them on the job, or with their personal lives, whenever I could.
Pros
time off with pay on holidays and vacation days. very safety oriented company.
Cons
sometimes, i felt more like an employee number more than a co-worker.
wide range of departmental attitudes and environments
Lettering Designer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OhioMay 10, 2012
Like so many places AG Creative is no longer a place to spend your entire career. If you are a good match and get hired, it is all about how quickly you can acclimate to the workflow and team dynamics and deliver the goods in a fresh way.

I was there for 26 years, so there have been a variety of typical days over the course of re-organizations, new management, re-vision of product, shifts in marketing. There were a few years when everyday included a chance to develop and submit my own ideas or work in full color. There were many more years when every day was 1-3 jobs to be lettered in black ink, scanned, tweaked and released with the job.

The hardest part of the job were the two times I had erratic or personally abusive bosses. There was no redress for this the first time, the second time took a few years to sort out, but i was able to be heard eventually.

The best part was earning a living doing something i love and am really good at, working part-time, and growing in the company people who valued each other as people and artists.
Pros
great co-workers, comfortable workplace
Cons
inefficiencies in some design/review protocols, conservative approach to hr
Think Again...
part time merchandiser (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo, miSeptember 19, 2014
American Greetings in my opinion is the biggest waist company I know! They don't recycle and throw away new product that hasn't even been put out. Tons of cards, gift bags, stationary, wrapping paper, you name it, if it's been discontinued its in the garbage. BIG WAIST!!
They don't give good raises, ten cents more an hour after the the first 15 months.
They don't pay overtime,(unless you are a manager, and it takes at least 10-15 years to get there )it's never even more then 8-12 hours a week, MAYBE! And if you are over the small amount of hours they give you each week, then it's a knock against you. Sometimes it's only 3 hours a week. That does not even pay for gas after taxes!!
The scanners they use are from 1960's and barely work!! Makes it difficult to do your job.
They say one thing and then do another. NO real perks, like free cards, and the inventory that is all being dumped( that is new and unopened) you are not allowed to take, or give to a homeless shelter or a retirement home.
Even the employees that have been there over 20+ years that are dedicated and supportive are not supported with enough hours, pay for a cell phone, or pay millage.
If your just looking for a job to use up the spare time, then it's a easy job to learn.
Pros
flexible sechedule
Cons
low hours, not good pay, no perks.
Great!
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Colorado SpringsJanuary 23, 2014
Love my job!
I service a card department at Target and help out at another Target. On a typical day you sign in, pick up cards returned by customers or stray cards found throughout the store, get your order from the warehouse and start putting away your new product as well as the shopbacks in their assigned location and perform a so called clean sweep by fixing any wrongly placed, upside down, backwards cards in order and make sure each pocket has envelopes merchandised with cards. The day after major Holidays I exchange the seasonal card run with the theme of the upcoming holiday. I exchange end caps, put up POP and displays via plan-o-gram , perform inventories and revisions..... While working you make sure customers get the help they are looking for.
Once I am done I make sure to clean up any trash , step back to review my work and feel happy as my department looks organized and neat! :))
It can be a challenge to accomplish all of this within the allotted hours given and sometimes you just have to do the most important chores to not go over hours.
This would be the only downside of my job, not to have the time to have it looking outstanding all the time due to time restrictions.
Pros
flexible hours, ok pay
Cons
often very few hours
Flexible, Independent, Challenging
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMSeptember 4, 2013
I would go in to a few stores, tidy up displays, fill stock, order new stock, check in with management, and get any projects necessary done (ex: holiday displays). I learned how to work almost completely on my own. Management was kind, understanding, and helpful. My co-worker had other stores she usually worked at independently but she was very nice. The hardest part of my job was making orders on a very old scanner. Sometimes orders wouldn't go through or something wouldn't scan right the first time. Also having to scan out any unsold product using both my scanner and the stores could be a little tricky sometimes since each store has it's own scanners (even if they are the same chain) and they all work differently. The most enjoyable part was being able to set my own schedual and getting to meet many nice managers at the different stores, also getting to see all the cute cards the company provided and having the pleasure of picking them out and ordering for each store's needs. It was fun.
Pros
set own schedual, fun, independent
Cons
working completely alone usually, heavy work load on holidays
Boxes & boxes
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 22, 2014
The job is very repetitive.... You don't have associates to work next to, it's just you & boxes of greeting cards. Routine: you drive to the destination (Ralph's, big lots rite aid etc..) you go to the stock room, get your boxes, go to the sales floor, un-pack boxes place the cards in the slots, straiten all the fixtures, clean up & go to your next store. Each store can take any where from 1hour - 6 hours of un-packing cards .... Yeah.... During the holidays it is hectic.... You get tons of hours for the season you have to follow a visual set, that usually takes for ever since you have to improvise at times. You see your boss about 3 times a year which is awesome, but training takes anywhere from 4 months -6 months & then some! It's cool as a first job or a part time but I do wish they had a solid store to work in with reliable hours ... Some weeks I got 1 hour & the next I had 10-15 hours tops for 3 stores. In a weird way the repetitions was therapeutic.
Pros
on your own, flexible hours.
Cons
little hours, store distances
We get the job done right. We enjoy each other.
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Danville, KYSeptember 29, 2013
I enjoy working at American Greetings. Management is nice they
help you whatever the need is. I get along good with my co-workers.
A typical day starts you look on the bulletin board to see where you
will be working. In low volume you need a RF and cart or in picked a
light you just pick where the lights are lite up.
In lv you scan into your RF your order it tells the card, the amount
and the box to put the card in. You keep picking cards until you get
the order done. You then take it over to the conveyor line to drop off
the boxes. You scan in the next order. You repeat this all day long.
You do it safely. You get your production. You watch out for the
other people you are working with. Keep the place clean.
PL you scan your badge to pick up your order. The lights that are
lite up you pick and the amount you need putting them in a box.
when box is full push box onto the conveyor. You do this until order
is done. Then scan badge for next order you pick the cards you need.
They are others doing the same thing. You work safely and productive together. Keep the place clean.
Making production is the hardest part. The most enjoyable part
all of working together to get the job done. Talk to each other.
Pros
pay
Cons
health care

Want to know more about American Greetings?

Ask a question
Not for everybody
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  osceola, atOctober 10, 2015
AG has this motto: "we create happiness, love and laughter," or something along those lines.

Perhaps that is true for the recipients of our products, but the treatment of employees by management can be very damaging - emotionally, spiritually and sometimes even physically.

Not all departments are the same; different employees see things differently, but the AG I know is a playground for bullies who pick on the weak and (figuratively speaking) kick the injured while they're down.

At some point, you stop feeling like and employee and more like a servant or, in some cases, a slave. In many departments, there is very little respect between management and those who work for them.
Pros
pays well, insurance is better than what my husband has, promote safety in and outside of the workplace
Cons
rules are unclear, we are expected to lift items that are far too heavy for us to lift, too many people - bosses included - are too eager to dig around in my personal, medical life
Great Environment and Co-Workers
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJanuary 13, 2014
I enjoy getting up each morning to go to work. I love to help others and feel that I am very good at my job. I have been in customer service for over 25 years. I have learned many ways in handling customer calls from management and my co-workers.

I do not know everything, and with each passing day there is always something I can learn. I truly believe that you can learn anything at any age. Life is a learning experience! I believe we can learn something new each and every day.

The most hardest part of my job would be if I would not be able to assist them with the issue they are having. I do try everything I can to assist them before passing them off to a supervisor or manager.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get an irate customer and they are having issues, I am the one that can calm them down and get the issue resolved and they are very happy with the way I calmed them down and just listened to what they had to say. At the end of the conversation they are complimenting me on my professionalism and my patience with them.
Pros
great management team
Cons
health insurance
I maintain the greeting card department in various store locations.
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 24, 2015
Flexible hours are awesome and allow me to be involved in my children's extra curricular activities. I am able to work by myself with my manager visiting every so often. A typical day includes cleaning the card department (getting rid of trash and straightening cards). After cleaning, I put out everyday orders or change out endcaps for the next group of cards. There is also times when I take out old cards, scan them out and put out new cards. It is a very detail oriented job and I have to pay attention to each card. The hardest part of this job is picking up boxes of cards because the boxes are heavy. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility. To be able to come and go as you please is quite exciting. What I do not like is the fact that the job is not consistent. It is feast or famine in terms of how many hours I work. I do like the job, but I am looking for something that is more consistent.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no insurance, not full time
Always something to do and time goes by fast
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 20, 2012
On a typical day at work I go to receiving and get all AG product. I go to the dept. and put out all new product and filling in any backstock needed. Straighten entire dept. Set any displays or promotions received. If there is a new plan-o-gram to set (such as seasonal) old product will be taken down and new product set according to plan-o-gram.Check to see if there are any empty prockets and order new product on telxon. Sync telxon at end of day.
I've learned to get tasks done in time aloud.
I enjoy working independently as well as with co-workers which can be very helpful when setting displays and revisions.Also like helping out other co-workers when needed.
The hardest part of the job is probably revisons. Trying to get them completed accoring to plan-o-gram and looking its best in time aloud.
The most enjoyable part is the sence of accomplishment when all tasks are completed.Also helping customers find what they are looking for.
Pros
going to different accts. working independently
Cons
not enough hrs.
Productive and fun workplace
Revision Helper (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 19, 2015
The best part is getting to work with fun co-workers who make the time go by faster than it actually is. We take apart and put together new card fixtures, as well as stock card products, for stores all over Montana and Cody, Wyoming. Some of the fixtures can be pretty heavy, but that is why we have to be able to lift 50+ pounds when applying for American Greetings. We do have to travel a lot and stay in hotels, but that is kind of a plus. We are able to go to towns that we have never heard of before and experience new places, cultures, and people. It all comes down to the job being a lot of hard work, but with the right motivation and great teamwork we are able to accomplish what needs to be done in a timely manner.
Pros
Hotel rooms are paid for by the company, paid travel time, and given per diem for meals.
Cons
No benefits--no healthcare, no dental, and no vision; no retirement 401(K)
Terrible place to work. Rethink!
Merchandsier (Current Employee) –  TennessseeFebruary 4, 2013
This company has not moved into the 21st century. They use software and tools that are over 20 years old. The website that you must use to claim your time, view your schedule, etc. is so old fashioned and very difficult to navigate. I have worked for similar companies in the past and this is by far the worst! Sure, it's easy work for the most part, however, the tools that are provided for you to complete your work is unacceptable. This company needs to move into the 21st century and provide adequate tools for their employees. Also, communication is key to a successful company and, while the communication was there with the supervisor, the emails she would send out were always very "high strung" and "hateful" for the most part. Now, I cannot speak for other supervisors, but this is my experience with the one I worked with. I'd suggest looking for another company to work for.
Pros
i cannot name one pro for this company.
Cons
out of date technology, very low pay, to many store visits for one person.

Comment – February 11, 2013

I work at American Greetings and the company does not do anything for it employees and are union is working right with them. its like being in jail working there now no i take that back people in jail have more rights then we do if i was younger i would look for a job that payless just to feel that a company rewardvme for my hard work and not treat me like i mean nothing...just saying......

Comment – April 7, 2013

American Greetings is a very arrogant company, they really think YOU enjoy working for them so much that it is a hobby for you!!

Very good place to work with nice co-workers and great supervisors.
Line Employee (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYJuly 23, 2013
A day at work for me was very enjoyable. I liked doing the jobs that I was there to do. Sometimes it was doing what was called "rework" which was removing the incorrect stickers from, for example, a candle and adding the correct one. Sometimes we were on a job where we placed a certain amount of items in a box for shipping to a store. I worked at American Greeting on the summer college program as I was in college at EKU at the time. Needless to say, all of my co-workers were a lot younger than me but they treated me with respect and I loved that! My supervisor was very nice and he really respected how I worked hard at my job and when he saw me cleaning our work area after the others left, he actually came over and helped me. I would have recommended American Greeting to anyone.
Pros
air conditioning, friendly co-workers, good pay
Cons
my job only lasted for a short while as i was working the summer college program.
No hours with high expectations and negative management...
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2013
You do a lot of work with almost no available hours with which to do it in. In one of my stores, I was lucky to get 1 hour every other week. And if one is to go over hours, they get threatening emails from the Supervisor saying the issue will be dealt with accordingly. And on top of that, you are told all of the negative things that are wrong with the store you are servicing that, if given enough hours, or if you were a super hero, you could accomplish and perhaps then actually get positive feedback. The company's methods and procedures are old fashioned and outdated. I would recommend looking for a job elsewhere and skip trying American Greetings.
Pros
there were no pros working for this company.
Cons
negative management, few hours, no recycle program for discarded seasonal cards, outdated policies and procedures...
Awful place to work.
Creative Digital Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland , OhioJune 14, 2012
As a younger person I felt like I mattered and could advance. As an older person working there I felt like my head was on the chopping block at all times. They started bringing people from China to learn our jobs and that was when I lost all respect for the company called "American" Greetings. As much as 15 percent of the work is now going to China and soon India. They are recieving incentives (money to rebuild at Crocker Park) from the state to remain in the state. They lay people off and replace them with part timer with no benefits.
After thirty years with the company, while on vacation in Az. I got a phone call that I was terminated.....enjoy your vacation. So NO, don't go there it is a very unhappy place especially for the people in the Creative Div.
Pros
it's a job.
Cons
look elsewhere.

Comment – July 10, 2012

Is it just the creative digital jobs that are going to China, or others as well? Please elaborate on which departments.

Providing service for different stores in Milwaukee area
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 5, 2012
A typical day at work includes restocking merchandise and grooming certain areas around the stores.
What I learned working for American Greetings is how to open up to new surroundings, build my communication skills with those around me and perform to my best ability.
Management I have dealt with at many stores has been professional and have provided me with the help I need.
I usually do my work independently but when I have the opportunity to work with others my days go by quicker and my time is used more efficiently.
The hardest part of my job is maintaining my patience for the store enviroment and constantly keeping my areas neat.
The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people with different interest and visiting otheres places throughout the day.
Pros
flexible hours, less demanding and various locations.
Cons
travel distance