American Greetings Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company to work for - flexible
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 26, 2016
Enjoy the work. Put out new shipments of cards/wrapping paper etc.in assigned pockets. Straighten cards in each section and make sure they have adequate envelopes. Remove cards/merchandise that doesn't belong. Put cards removed back in stock utilizing Texlon.

Issue credits for damaged or seasonal merhandise. Keep back room stock clean & neat..
Pros
Good working conditions.
Cons
Time limitations to get work finished.
I like working for American Greetings
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NMApril 14, 2016
I really like working for the company because of it was easy and working with new people was perfect I also like to see the new cards and the pay was perfect
Creative work place with great product and people.
Associate Merchant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 10, 2016
Very successful in various roles in the company over the years. Industry is becoming more challenging and options for advancement are becoming lean. My most recent position allowed me to see my actions and decisions become reality at retail. Working with many cross functional teams and people allowed me to personally develop in many areas.
Loved this role, success depended on efforts
National Wal-Mart Field Operations (Former Employee) –  NationwideApril 4, 2016
Great family owned company. Rewarded efforts and hard work. Traveled throughout the country, which was required in my role. Company was on the cutting edge with technology.
Pros
Rewarded hard work and efforts.
Cons
Worked was based around holidays so not much time off during that time
American Greetings is a great company to work for.
Core Merchansider (Current Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZApril 1, 2016
I love working for this company. I enjoy working and cleaning up the card aisles. We are extremely busy during the holiday seasons.
Wonderful for flex time schedules
Part-Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXMarch 14, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this job. For the most part, the hours are very flexible. Of course, certain deadlines must be met. Some times will be busier than others (holidays, resets) so the employee must be willing to have some checks smaller than others and some work weeks crazier than others. For my needs, it was perfect.

The people I worked with were all wonderful! When I discovered that they had all worked many years for American Greetings, I knew American Greetings must be a great employer to work for.
Pros
Flex scheduling
Cons
Need to be a self-starter, and sometimes self-taught as well
Great place to work.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Beattyville, KYMarch 10, 2016
Really enjoyable job. Make your own schedule. Some lifting and hard work. But overall, enjoyable job. Nice and helpful supervisors.
An every day factory job
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARMarch 3, 2016
I usually would come in, be assigned to a certain area, and stay there unless I was needed else where. Management seemed scarce and a little too friendly with some of the employees. It was very boring and too easy at times.
Nice place to work
Sr. SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhMarch 2, 2016
Management was well organized but unaware of personnel onboarding and mentoring being poorly carried out. Great atmosphere and people. Co-worker performed mentoring in a deprecating fashion not used in a professional environment.
Pros
Good department management.
Cons
Mentoring for AG internal poor.
Assisting AG.com customers (Current Employee) –  Brookpark OhioFebruary 25, 2016
Great people and place. It was very clean and they had on site lunch room. They held alot of extra activities for the empoyees
Some what flexible. Little supervision. Very poor training.
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, ORFebruary 21, 2016
I worked for American Greetings for a two months and ended up quiting. My manager was very nice and so was my trainer. I was very excited about this job but It was a huge disappointment. I read the reviews on indeed and it sounded great as I am a stay at home mom. Think again. This company has almost all of their training on the computer and very little hands on with an actual trainer. If your a hands on learner this job will be hard for you at first as it was for me. Also, be prepared for cardboard and paper cuts all the time! The computer training didn't exactly match up to the actual job as each store is different. I was thrown in right when it was time for a seasonal change over which can be one of the most stressful parts of this job. Yes it's flexible but you do not "make" your own hours. They give you the amount of hours aloted for each activity and regular stocking of product in each store and you have to get it done in that time, AND within 48 hours of the order arriving in the store. So your flexibility will vary each week. It's very inconsistent, and no real breaks. If you think it's just putting cards up....its not. Sometimes you will have to do revisions, you will always do seasonal change overs and most of the time it's by yourself. Your also expected to transmit files when you get home and do your own time card and you do not get paid for doing this which could take up to 10 or more minutes each time depending on your internet speed. That could add up to about 30 minuts of unpaid time each pay period (two weeks in Oregon). The equipment and website is outdated  more... and this maybe why it takes a while sometimes. Also, they expect you to call the call center with any issues you may have...not your supervisor, and they don't speak English very well!! Overall I just found the training to be very poor and disappointing. They expect too much for very little reward. They are also very wasteful.  less
Pros
Some what flexible, no supervisor breathing down your neck.
Cons
Very poor training, hours, and pay.
The Private Company
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARFebruary 10, 2016
Just like Nibco American Greetings was a very good experience for me..i would've loved to continue working here but things didn't work out as planned.
Pros
free lunches and overtime
Cons
healthcare and short breaks
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARFebruary 10, 2016
What you make it, can be stressful some days dealing with attitudes from co-workers. Have to learn to ignore the negative and come to work ready to work everyday/
Fun
Seasonal Sales Clerk Financial District, NY (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2016
great, family like coworker environment. the heavy lifting is, well, heavy. the stairs make the job inefficient. the Boss has never worked retail in her life
Serious
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, MSJanuary 31, 2016
This job was extremely serious workplace. We had to meet quota everyday. It was very hard, but it was worth it. Supervisor breaths down your neck until job is done. It is very understandable.
Pros
Pay
Cons
hours
American Greetings
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJanuary 27, 2016
The jobs was okay as far as the hours and time of the shifts.. but management wasn't not reliable and the work we were required to do and the standard we were required to meet towards the end never seem to add up. even experienced associates complained of how hard it was. It was overwhelming and stressful. I was even more stressed after loosing my job two weeks before Christmas. Plus we worked 8hrs with only a 20 minute break.
Pros
pay, shifts
Cons
short breaks, unreliable management
They are a good company to work for.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 19, 2016
They are decent to work for and are better than other retail places I have come in contact with. The only issue is the lack of advancement opportunities.
Pros
45% discount
Cons
No advancement opportunity
flexible work hours,
merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Camden County, NJJanuary 18, 2016
love the flexibility of the work hours, seasonal change overs can be stressful and long hours depending on store size.

work independently with very little oversight, travel between accounts on a daily basis.

have to have computer access to log hours, work schedule and assignments and upload orders.

most of the team members are nice and helpful
Pros
flexible and independent
Cons
heavy workload around the holiday
Manual Software Quality Assurance
QA Software Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJanuary 11, 2016
American Greetings helped me continue to progress my career in Software Quality Assurance most notably by providing full quality support for all current platforms and devices.
pto driver
General factory (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYDecember 30, 2015
I worked driving a power truck putting stock in the lines for orderfillers to feel orders! work very well with orderfillers to keep in stock! Very friendly and still good friends with most all employees still today! The hardest part of the job really wasn't that hard was picking up stock to put in the lines! The boxes weighed 5 to 50lbs each! The most enjoyable part of my job was to be around people and able to help them out!