American Greetings Employee Reviews

Great place to work for
MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 21, 2017
I enjoy working for American Greetings. They have a good training program. They give you all the tools necessary to do your job unlike other merchandising companies. Flexible schedule.
Nice environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2017
Easy work, stocked nice stores and friendly store workers, job not hard, stock greeting cards and change out cards for holidays. Check dates store to be serviced and delivery dates of products in the computer, once completed enter informaiton in computer.
Pros
Can service stores early morning
Cons
No back up
It pays the bills
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARMarch 14, 2017
I like the job just have disagreements with the way things are handled. And they shut the factory down during the summer forcing an employment layoff with out pay.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lack of work during the summertime
Flexible hours for work on the side
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZMarch 12, 2017
Being a merchandiser at American Greetings has a lot of freedom, but outside major holidays, very few hours. A typical work week will probably net you 10 hours if you are given the right amount of stores to merchandise. Slow weeks in the summer will have far less hours and busy weeks leading up to christmas, valentine's day, and mother's day will have you in and out of stores up to 20-30 hours a week.

As long as you get your assigned tasks completed in the allotted time frames, you can go in to the stores any time during operating hours, which gives you very flexible hours. Occasionally, there will be days you have to be at stores at pre-scheduled hours to meet with a supervisor or do a major revision. You won't see coworkers very often, only during major store revisions, so if you are not an independent person, the job is not for you.

The hardest/most annoying part of the job is probably dealing with misplaced cards. The most enjoyable part is not having a supervisor breathing down your neck every day.
Pros
Flexible hours, supervisor-less work, interesting/funny reading material
Cons
Inconsistent hours, travel times, few benefits, major holiday hours
Bad management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2017
I worked for this company for 6 years. At first it was great but it gets boring. The management don't help you when you request help. The hours are to little. How can you live off of 10 hours a week. Do not work there. Bad company.
Cons
Not enough hours
Ok
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 7, 2017
It was great for flexibility, but help was not always available if it was requested. Summer hours were too low. I enjoyed working with target and with my manager
Pros
flexible
Cons
no hours in summer
I loved making my own schedule and taking pride in my work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Monument, COMarch 7, 2017
I could set my own schedule except for at holidays since a greeting card company requires certain deadlines around holidays. I enjoyed my job; the pay was terrible for as many years experience as I have in merchandising. Once I formed a relationship with management and employees at my store it was an enjoyable job. The hardest part of this job was feeling that I was not safe in the back room. I had to climb over forklifts to get to my product and it was stacked nearly to the ceiling in one store. I twisted my ankle and hurt myself on more than one occasion, so I had to give it up. All the training emphasizes safety first, but when you are working with a store who cares about getting your vendor product out of their way, you will find your product in the worst possible places and it wasn't safe, in my opinion.
Pros
Set my own hours, take pride in my displays
Cons
The hazards in getting to my product in the back room
American Greetings has a state of the art new building
Global Sourcing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 6, 2017
I calculate costs based on matrices, enter items on tracking spreadsheets, respond to emails about price, date and supplier changes, look up container details for ocean shipments and any miscellaneous issues such as shortages, overages and quality issues is a typical work day.

I have learned who to contact regarding all types of issues from quality control, art issues, delays and mainframe problems.

The workplace culture is team work but there are also times when individuals are encouraged to handle.them without any help.

The hardest part of the job is when there are down times due to workflow because I prefer to be busy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety of duties daily and being given the opportunity to handle them for the most part on my own because my supervisor knows I can do it .
Pros
Beautiful surroundings, good pay, up to date systems
Cons
Certain job levels have less chance for advancement
The job became monotonous after several months.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 6, 2017
Consumers who buy cards are extremely messy. Cards have to be constantly replaced in their correct location. The amount of time an employee is permitted to work in the store each week doesn't allow for completion of the work required. I found the store managers to be very accommodating. The pay is poor for the amount of work required. Holidays, especially Christmas, is very difficult.
a week at AG
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 5, 2017
It's a great company but there is to much work to be done with no hours given by Corporate every week. one can not live and pay bills with 6 hours a week. There only benefit paid by the company is Sick Leave no Paid Vacation nor Paid Holidays.
Pros
flexibility( go to work at what ever time you want)
Cons
6-10 hours a week the most plus you have to travel from store to store
Advancement
Inventory Control Leader (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARMarch 4, 2017
Great place for starting your career. You can gain great skills that can be used in other organizations, but that will mainly be useful within this firm.
Ok company
merchadiser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2017
It an ok company to work for the best part is making your schedule flexible. Hours are different from week to week one week u can get little hours the next week you can get no hours and the next you can get alot of hours. Managers and supervision is not good and very much lack of communication.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no room foradvancements, lack of hours
FORKLIFT DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARMarch 1, 2017
I learned how to drive stand up forklift trucks and cherry pickers. I learned how to communicate with others. Its a great place to work if you like to stay moving around. The worse thing about working here is you don't get a bonus no matter how hard you work or how good your attendance is.
Ejejesi
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARFebruary 25, 2017
My typical day was very monotonous. It consisted of doing repetitive processes over and over. This job is meant for somebody that can handle the boring aspect of this type of work.
greeting cards sold to discount, drug, and variety stores
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 24, 2017
greeting card business changed over the years. when I begin the job ,I called on many indp stores. selling our products and opening new accounts. as the years went by , most of them went out of business and was replaced by chain stores. the job became more of a service position instead of sales. and we furnished merchandisers as well.
Pros
great products, good people to work for. good living .
Cons
goals set each year got harder and harder to reach, my salary decreasec a little each year over the last 5 years.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KentuckyFebruary 23, 2017
I had a good experience working there, I thought my coworkers were really nice and pleasant overall. I also thought management was also. I miss most of them.
Pros
Likeable and fun.
Cons
Alot of mandling from some.
American greetings
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARFebruary 23, 2017
i was a packaging person that would box the cards in there boxes when it was time to put them in there in i did a good job at this company
Productive and challenging workplace
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day at American Greeting was exciting but challenging. the coworkers was fun to work with and that made the time go by quicker. I really liked working at A & G, clean environment, safety is a must and would really enjoy working for the company again.
American Greeting is a good first job to start off work experience.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJFebruary 21, 2017
American Greeting was a good job to start me off with experience. It's a great job if you looking to move up and if you trying to learn a lot about retail
Meh
Operator, Power Truck and Spooler (Former Employee) –  Afton, TNFebruary 15, 2017
Seasonal manufacturing environment. Full white collar upper management that could care less about the workers so long as goals and deadlines are met. Pay is okay.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.