American Greetings Employee Reviews

Managed poorly
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaNovember 29, 2016
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for as a merchandiser, by far their competitor hallmark are better to their employees! I worked for both companies hallmark first then American greetings. I'm a hard worker so I find it terrible that they treat their employees like dogs. After I hurt my knee and needed coverage for my territory they took my stores away and cut my hours by more than half. Additionally, they don't give their employees enough hours to keep the stores clean and organized, 2 hours once every other week is not enough to keep a Riteaid looking nice for customers.
Cons
Poorly managed
PRODUCTION CHECKER (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 10, 2016
I would make sure that I had all the tools that I needed, so that when my shift starts my crew could perform their work task that was given to them. I learned a lot from the company, how to be professional, responsible, and time efficient. I management or over sees several people to make sure we could get out the best quality at a lost cost. My co-workers and I, we worked good each together, we made sure that everyone was taking care in anyway we new to do. The hardest part probably would be trying to explain to your crew what was require and knowing that they could do the job. The part I really enjoyed was knowing when I left, I did my very best to make we got out was given to us that morning.
Pros
great job, love the people I worked with
Cons
short breaks
American Greetings Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 3, 2016
American Greetings is a great company to work for. The job is very flexible and I have never had any problems with my supervisor. They are very good with communication and helping when you have a problem. Once the order is at the store I go put it in, keep my card section organized and set displays when needed. The hardest part is at times the boxes are heavy, but it's easy to unload part of the box and then pick it up. I love working for this company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Only part time
Great Experience to Balance Life and Work !
Retail Sales Merchandiser/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2016
Management is very supportive. This job offers you the ability to create your own daily schedule. It promotes independence. You are given accounts to manage and weekly projects that you are to complete at the end of the work week, on Sundays. In order to sustain job, you must be detail-oriented, effective communicator, have the ability to execute merchandising/marketing strategies, build relationships, execute inventory management, have a keen eye for design and have a reliable car.
Pros
Independent work, flexible schedule, freedom to excel
Cons
limited opportunity for growth, limited benefits
Lots of dust they don't train you properly easy to get hired and fried
Order Filler/Picker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARDecember 2, 2016
Management is not good co workers are nice and easy to get along with no parts f the job is enjoyable you don't learn nothing from trainers basically you learn on your own or from others typical day is working from bell to bell
Cons
only 20 min lunch breaks no breaks in between
Pleasant company to work for
Mercchandiser (Current Employee) –  New Castle. PAJuly 16, 2016
I have been able to prove not only to myself that I am an invaluable employee by getting the products out on a timely manner but also that I have the capability to speak with store personnel and arrange what is needed for product display.

This is a position where I work alone, however that gives me the extra boost to perform the proper tasks.

My supervisor is extremely friendly and allows us to work on our own standards, but is there if we need her.
Pros
working alone
Cons
Sometimes short hours
You will be laid off... eventually.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJuly 12, 2016
American Greetings is developing a habit of laying off its workers. I know that's the way it goes sometimes but its gotten out of hand. Most staff fear for their jobs especially with the upcoming move scheduled. Management clearly is not capable of handling this move. They have anti-union practices and are phasing out the living wage they paid to many employees. I'm putting them on par with companies like walmart. Why be a walmart when you can be a costco?
very enjoyable place to work
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILAugust 31, 2016
My typical day at work is starting out by being organized. When I go into a store , I am prepared for that store. If there is a problem within that store, I find the answer to solving this problem. I have learned that each visit is very different at each store.. I have learned to adapt to changes on a seconds notice. I work closely with management to get product out and to locate it in a place that will boost that stores sales and also to make customers enjoy shopping there. I work closely also with co workers to find answers to numerous questions or more efficient ways to do my job. The hardest part of the job is finding locations to show product that will accent the stores mdse also. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the job done and to know that it is well done. To make sure everyone is happy is enjoyable to me.
Pros
Good working conditions, help if needed
Cons
cant think of any cons
Wages are not the best .
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Massena, NYNovember 21, 2016
There is no room for more hours as they want more body's.
Not a lot of training when you take over for someone else.
They need to invest in better scanners for us as the ones we have only work half of the time .
Hard to get answers from home office .
Pros
Work mostly alone and when you want.
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Progressive company with a wonderful work environment
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookpark, OHSeptember 13, 2016
Progressive company with a wonderful work environment. Family atmosphere, can form long standing relationships. Evolving systems and processes allow for new ideas and processes to be initiated
Pros
Transitioning Organization
Cons
Flattening organization
greeting card merchandiser
personal greeting vendor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAAugust 11, 2016
I would arrive at stores. Check-in with manager for special directions. Check for new orders in stockroom,give the invoice to reciver. Stock new merchandise, pull order tickets. Clean department. Do seasonal inventories.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
sometimes not enough time to get everything done.
Worst experience
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJuly 29, 2016
After one year on the job and never taking a day off I got my employee review it was a 98%. My manager then pushed a paper towards me with my raise on it... 20 cents bringing my pay to $10.20. My boss couldn't even say it out loud. I covered for numerous other merchandisers and did a great job , but 20 cents was a slap in the face.
Great design staff-Poor Management
designer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2016
When I worked there I was thrilled at first. I have to say the design teams are a group of fun and talented people. But......when it comes to managment watch your back. It never ceases to amaze me how badly they can treat you for no reason and get away with it. I went thru about 5 lay offs, within the first month they laid off like 30 people. Not a good indicator. Everyone was scared and is scared to lose thier job. The hardest part of the job was learning thier new system. It was daunting and as a designer it was defeating. You are no longer designing but you become and administrator instead. The perks are the creative kick offs if you are lucky to be picked. AG used to be a great place to work but it has gone done hil over the years becuase they don't get rid of the upper management. Sad.
Pros
Creative Gallery Shows and brainstorms
Cons
Management and constant change
Was a good place to work until they sent someone from Cleveland.
Picker (Current Employee) –  Danville, KYNovember 1, 2016
To many changes that actually hurt production an now it's more about someone's bonus. People are worried about their jobs..
Pros
Just last year it was a good place to make a living.
Cons
Recently it's harder to make production.
Mission is Foggy
Consultant Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJune 5, 2016
I was hired in March 2016 when the corporate direction was to hurry and complete the SAP conversion ASAP. In May, the management seemed shocked that hiring numerous contractors cost money and many had do go to save cash. Wish the company had some kind of intelligent overall plan. That would have left some room for the welfare of their contractors. I just feel used for no good purpose.
Pros
people at Emerald Resources treated me well.
Cons
planning done poorly.
Great place to work.
Steel Rule Die-maker/Machine Specialist (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work with plenty of different jobs within one plant. Lots of room for advancement. Pay-scale was on par or above for the state. Lots of improvements being made at this plant on a continous basis.
Great company and employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 6, 2016
Great people. Job can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get your own pace and system it becomes very easy. The most enjoyable part was that I was able to work on my own time at my own pace with little interference from management unless I requested it, or it was a new task that I needed assistance with. I was able to work independently and freely.
Temporary Job
Nesco Resource (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYJune 11, 2016
When I first got out of high school I worked for Nesco Resource and work her for the summer. I made good hours and money and I didn't want to leave. I made a lot of friends here and loved how we worked as a teams and get things done on time. We did packaging and stood for hours, but it didn't matter to me because I enjoyed it a lot.
Pros
good friends, money, hours, team work
Cons
temporary job
Working for American Greetings
Part-Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2016
The job and what it entailed in itself was actually fun. Typically you would travel to different stores to assemble what was needed for the greeting cards department. You would receive your number of hours weekly based on the route you were given. You could always refer to materials given to make sure you were completing the projects correctly. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with bosses. The most enjoyable part was creating the best presentation possible.
Pros
$12.50 hourly was awesome
Cons
Management was horrible.
Bad Management and Trainers..
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Highland, IndianaMay 15, 2016
heavy boxes. Your on an unreasonable time restraint. Its JUST CARDS, Management and the people who have the title of "Trainer" make this job very stressful. You need a computer...every day you need to look at what activities and duties that may have or NOT changed. Boss did not allow more that 15min of computer work,,,a WEEK.
Some would spend hours at the computer for this job and you don't get reimbursed. Hardest part was the unexperienced management in the Highland - Schererville area.
Pros
You work alone...
Cons
bad management. your always having to rush and go fast. unreasonable time restaint.