American Greetings Employee Reviews

Worst people I have ever worked for!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 4, 2017
Supervisor acts like a child and bad mouths other employees. Do not work for this company in this region! Supervisors demand a plan for certain hours and in the interview they said hours were flexible...which they are NOT! Also condescending attitude from supervisors if u don't say how high when they say jump. I had 3 stores and it was too .much so I asked to be at one store instead of all 3. Was told merchandisers don't get to pick and chose where they work. I was under the impression I already worked there. It's a mess and they treat employees horrible.
Pros
Cons
Non flexible hours like they claimed in the interview
American Greetings is very stern but friendly company.
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Afton, TNDecember 30, 2016
The company is like a well clean and oiled machine going at two hundred miles per minute. But you meet nice people from all over the world there. One bad part is that dearing or near different holidays it's quite exhausting. Only because let's say it's two weeks from Christmas and your making rapping paper for the holiday, but your working all day everyday with it. That just takes a little bit of the spirit out of you.
Pros
Nice people to work with and steadfast.
Cons
Short lunch breaks
very flexible schedule. Great to interact with people on a day to day basis.
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 31, 2016
I greatly enjoy my job with American Greetings. The schedule is very flexible. I love working with customers. The only downfall at the moment with my job is that I don't get enough hours in a week. The pay is sufficient but the allowed hours to work is not enough.
Pros
basically work alone with no one directing or standing over you.
Cons
No health care benefits at all. Not enough hours.
Managed poorly
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaNovember 29, 2016
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for as a merchandiser, by far their competitor hallmark are better to their employees! I worked for both companies hallmark first then American greetings. I'm a hard worker so I find it terrible that they treat their employees like dogs. After I hurt my knee and needed coverage for my territory they took my stores away and cut my hours by more than half. Additionally, they don't give their employees enough hours to keep the stores clean and organized, 2 hours once every other week is not enough to keep a Riteaid looking nice for customers.
Cons
Poorly managed
Productive and fun job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, CODecember 28, 2016
Received a lot of productive training that helped me advance to team leader. Merchandise cards, gift wrapping, gift bags, party plates, utensils, candy and seasonal merchandise. Put up temporary displays and did resets for every holiday. Used plan o gram to merchandise all cards and temporary shippers. Also used Telzon to order merchandise.
Pros
Productive. Schedule was flexible
Cons
Holidays were overwhelming
production specialist
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARDecember 6, 2016
Typical day at American greetings in my department is building displays for the cards and assortment. Packaging items to be shipped out to the stores. I learned to work in a fast pace environment. I got along well with all my co-workers and managers. The hardest part of my job was maintaining standard throughout the work day. I enjoyed working with others and working in the packaging department.
PRODUCTION CHECKER (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 10, 2016
I would make sure that I had all the tools that I needed, so that when my shift starts my crew could perform their work task that was given to them. I learned a lot from the company, how to be professional, responsible, and time efficient. I management or over sees several people to make sure we could get out the best quality at a lost cost. My co-workers and I, we worked good each together, we made sure that everyone was taking care in anyway we new to do. The hardest part probably would be trying to explain to your crew what was require and knowing that they could do the job. The part I really enjoyed was knowing when I left, I did my very best to make we got out was given to us that morning.
Pros
great job, love the people I worked with
Cons
short breaks
American Greetings Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 3, 2016
American Greetings is a great company to work for. The job is very flexible and I have never had any problems with my supervisor. They are very good with communication and helping when you have a problem. Once the order is at the store I go put it in, keep my card section organized and set displays when needed. The hardest part is at times the boxes are heavy, but it's easy to unload part of the box and then pick it up. I love working for this company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Only part time
Ok job
Part-time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2017
For people who are in school or retired. Not a career job no advancement at all. No travel expense, limited time to complete job tasks. There is no reimbursement for any expense ie pens, garbage bags, notebooks (for keeping track of schedule). Different sites for completing tasks and entering time worked.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No travel expense, no advancement
Great Experience to Balance Life and Work !
Retail Sales Merchandiser/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2016
Management is very supportive. This job offers you the ability to create your own daily schedule. It promotes independence. You are given accounts to manage and weekly projects that you are to complete at the end of the work week, on Sundays. In order to sustain job, you must be detail-oriented, effective communicator, have the ability to execute merchandising/marketing strategies, build relationships, execute inventory management, have a keen eye for design and have a reliable car.
Pros
Independent work, flexible schedule, freedom to excel
Cons
limited opportunity for growth, limited benefits
Lots of dust they don't train you properly easy to get hired and fried
Order Filler/Picker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARDecember 2, 2016
Management is not good co workers are nice and easy to get along with no parts f the job is enjoyable you don't learn nothing from trainers basically you learn on your own or from others typical day is working from bell to bell
Cons
only 20 min lunch breaks no breaks in between
Great company
Field Sales (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2017
I enjoy working for the company. They have good work life balance. What makes this company good is the upper management. They work hard to show appreciation to employees. Middle management shows a lot of favoritism.
Pros
Work life balance, Upper Mangement
Cons
Middle management play a lot of favoritism
Wages are not the best .
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Massena, NYNovember 21, 2016
There is no room for more hours as they want more body's.
Not a lot of training when you take over for someone else.
They need to invest in better scanners for us as the ones we have only work half of the time .
Hard to get answers from home office .
Pros
Work mostly alone and when you want.
Cons
Not a lot of hours
I Love it There you will too
Machine Specialist (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJanuary 18, 2017
I enjoy working at American Greeting. Good company no bad side if you do your job right......They give up Date on how the company is doing . And tell you what they are going to do to may things better you and the company . They plan ahead so you would have a job...
Pros
Great company
Cons
Do your job
Amazing atmosphere with such nice people
Creative Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 10, 2017
Everyone I've encountered, work for, worked with, have just been so nice. It's been great! The environment is so warm and welcoming, I would hope everyone would get an opportunity to work in such a great environment as I do.
flexible job, with great working conditions
Mechandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 28, 2016
This is a fun job where you can meet the public and work with management for a fulfilling job. The hours are flexible and helping customers is very rewarding.
Pros
flexible
Cons
expectation from managers can change from store to store
very enjoyable place to work
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILAugust 31, 2016
My typical day at work is starting out by being organized. When I go into a store , I am prepared for that store. If there is a problem within that store, I find the answer to solving this problem. I have learned that each visit is very different at each store.. I have learned to adapt to changes on a seconds notice. I work closely with management to get product out and to locate it in a place that will boost that stores sales and also to make customers enjoy shopping there. I work closely also with co workers to find answers to numerous questions or more efficient ways to do my job. The hardest part of the job is finding locations to show product that will accent the stores mdse also. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the job done and to know that it is well done. To make sure everyone is happy is enjoyable to me.
Pros
Good working conditions, help if needed
Cons
cant think of any cons
Progressive company with a wonderful work environment
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookpark, OHSeptember 13, 2016
Progressive company with a wonderful work environment. Family atmosphere, can form long standing relationships. Evolving systems and processes allow for new ideas and processes to be initiated
Pros
Transitioning Organization
Cons
Flattening organization
Pleasant company to work for
Mercchandiser (Current Employee) –  New Castle. PAJuly 16, 2016
I have been able to prove not only to myself that I am an invaluable employee by getting the products out on a timely manner but also that I have the capability to speak with store personnel and arrange what is needed for product display.

This is a position where I work alone, however that gives me the extra boost to perform the proper tasks.

My supervisor is extremely friendly and allows us to work on our own standards, but is there if we need her.
Pros
working alone
Cons
Sometimes short hours
Was a good place to work until they sent someone from Cleveland.
Picker (Current Employee) –  Danville, KYNovember 1, 2016
To many changes that actually hurt production an now it's more about someone's bonus. People are worried about their jobs..
Pros
Just last year it was a good place to make a living.
Cons
Recently it's harder to make production.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.