American Greetings Employee Reviews

Great Experience to Balance Life and Work !
Retail Sales Merchandiser/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2016
Management is very supportive. This job offers you the ability to create your own daily schedule. It promotes independence. You are given accounts to manage and weekly projects that you are to complete at the end of the work week, on Sundays. In order to sustain job, you must be detail-oriented, effective communicator, have the ability to execute merchandising/marketing strategies, build relationships, execute inventory management, have a keen eye for design and have a reliable car.
Pros
Independent work, flexible schedule, freedom to excel
Cons
limited opportunity for growth, limited benefits
Worst experience
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJuly 29, 2016
After one year on the job and never taking a day off I got my employee review it was a 98%. My manager then pushed a paper towards me with my raise on it... 20 cents bringing my pay to $10.20. My boss couldn't even say it out loud. I covered for numerous other merchandisers and did a great job , but 20 cents was a slap in the face.
Flexible work schedule
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYNovember 21, 2016
Flexible schedule, part time hours, no weekend work unless you want to. Friendly environment. Use of your own vehicle. Time management is essential for this job.
Pros
Flexiblilty
Cons
no benefits
overall American greetings employees are happy with the jobs and the pay and benefits
Order filling/ Pick to lite/Low Volume (Current Employee) –  danville kyJune 4, 2016
American greetings hires a lot of family members of pre-existing employees. I was glad they recognize the need to have 12 weeks to train in each department because it is necessary to reach the required production numbers...Good pay and benefits
Excellent Compensation and Benefits
Regional Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARJune 21, 2016
Compensation is above average for the area. I was given many opportunities to expand my experience and knowledge by working in different areas of the company.
Good for a little extra cash
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 8, 2016
A good job if you work well on your own. Able to set your schedule based on the number of hours you are given each week. This job is ok for anyone who just wants to have something to do but there are no benefits or perks. Must be prepared to work holidays and weekends.
PRODUCTION CHECKER (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 10, 2016
I would make sure that I had all the tools that I needed, so that when my shift starts my crew could perform their work task that was given to them. I learned a lot from the company, how to be professional, responsible, and time efficient. I management or over sees several people to make sure we could get out the best quality at a lost cost. My co-workers and I, we worked good each together, we made sure that everyone was taking care in anyway we new to do. The hardest part probably would be trying to explain to your crew what was require and knowing that they could do the job. The part I really enjoyed was knowing when I left, I did my very best to make we got out was given to us that morning.
Pros
great job, love the people I worked with
Cons
short breaks
Fun work with no rewards
PT Merchandiser/ Training revision specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 14, 2016
On monday you go online to get your calls and hours. You also have activities assigned you must complete. You have 48 hours to follow an order into your account. You put out orders, straighten the account and do any activities due. As TRS I trained new hires and ran revisions. I also covered the accounts without merchandisers.

I learned how to work with store managers, Best Practices, setting new departments, building card displays and working with the computer, telxon and Motorola hand held devises.

There were 6 different managers over a 10 year period. There is little help from management. If there is something you have questions about you cannot get answers or help. They do not like when you take your mandatory breaks. They are always looking for ways to write you up and get rid of employees.

You work by yourself most of the time. On occasion you get to work with a group, which can be fun.

The hardest part of the job is trying to stay within you assigned hours. You have 48 hours to follow orders in accounts. If there are more than one order due in an account and you get one call you have to try splitting what time given or risk getting written up. You also have some computer work. They are not willing to pay you for the computer work. I was told no more than 5 minutes for marking an activity. Computer work consists of getting your hours and calls, checking and marking your activities, reading and writing emails to your manager and the call center and entering your time. You also have to keep up with chain room notifications. Also, if you have a hand held unit
  more... they recall you get to take it to UPS or the Post Office without any compensation.

What I enjoyed the most was the friendly people I worked with. I also liked when we would get to work in groups. Sometimes we would travel out of town in groups for jobs also.
Pros
Able to work around life events, usually
Cons
Low pay, no breaks, no compensation for computer or cell phone use
very enjoyable place to work
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILAugust 31, 2016
My typical day at work is starting out by being organized. When I go into a store , I am prepared for that store. If there is a problem within that store, I find the answer to solving this problem. I have learned that each visit is very different at each store.. I have learned to adapt to changes on a seconds notice. I work closely with management to get product out and to locate it in a place that will boost that stores sales and also to make customers enjoy shopping there. I work closely also with co workers to find answers to numerous questions or more efficient ways to do my job. The hardest part of the job is finding locations to show product that will accent the stores mdse also. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the job done and to know that it is well done. To make sure everyone is happy is enjoyable to me.
Pros
Good working conditions, help if needed
Cons
cant think of any cons
Great design staff-Poor Management
designer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2016
When I worked there I was thrilled at first. I have to say the design teams are a group of fun and talented people. But......when it comes to managment watch your back. It never ceases to amaze me how badly they can treat you for no reason and get away with it. I went thru about 5 lay offs, within the first month they laid off like 30 people. Not a good indicator. Everyone was scared and is scared to lose thier job. The hardest part of the job was learning thier new system. It was daunting and as a designer it was defeating. You are no longer designing but you become and administrator instead. The perks are the creative kick offs if you are lucky to be picked. AG used to be a great place to work but it has gone done hil over the years becuase they don't get rid of the upper management. Sad.
Pros
Creative Gallery Shows and brainstorms
Cons
Management and constant change
Great job for someone with kids
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2016
I have enjoyed working for american greetings. It has worked well for me with kids I am able to be home when needed. However the hours are very unsteady and pay is low.
Pros
flexable
Cons
low hours and low pay
Managed poorly
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaNovember 29, 2016
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for as a merchandiser, by far their competitor hallmark are better to their employees! I worked for both companies hallmark first then American greetings. I'm a hard worker so I find it terrible that they treat their employees like dogs. After I hurt my knee and needed coverage for my territory they took my stores away and cut my hours by more than half. Additionally, they don't give their employees enough hours to keep the stores clean and organized, 2 hours once every other week is not enough to keep a Riteaid looking nice for customers.
Cons
Poorly managed
Lots of dust they don't train you properly easy to get hired and fried
Order Filler/Picker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARDecember 2, 2016
Management is not good co workers are nice and easy to get along with no parts f the job is enjoyable you don't learn nothing from trainers basically you learn on your own or from others typical day is working from bell to bell
Cons
only 20 min lunch breaks no breaks in between
Good Culture, Bad Politics
manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 3, 2015
Good company that has a solid brand and products you can stand behind. Every day is something different and usually challenging.

Management is hit or miss depending on who you work with. There is a lot of old school thinking and politics at play.
Pros
Creative, fun and challenging
Cons
Advancement, health benefits
You will be laid off... eventually.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJuly 12, 2016
American Greetings is developing a habit of laying off its workers. I know that's the way it goes sometimes but its gotten out of hand. Most staff fear for their jobs especially with the upcoming move scheduled. Management clearly is not capable of handling this move. They have anti-union practices and are phasing out the living wage they paid to many employees. I'm putting them on par with companies like walmart. Why be a walmart when you can be a costco?
American Greetings Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 3, 2016
American Greetings is a great company to work for. The job is very flexible and I have never had any problems with my supervisor. They are very good with communication and helping when you have a problem. Once the order is at the store I go put it in, keep my card section organized and set displays when needed. The hardest part is at times the boxes are heavy, but it's easy to unload part of the box and then pick it up. I love working for this company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Only part time
Great place to work.
Steel Rule Die-maker/Machine Specialist (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work with plenty of different jobs within one plant. Lots of room for advancement. Pay-scale was on par or above for the state. Lots of improvements being made at this plant on a continous basis.
Productive and fun workplace
Revision Helper (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 19, 2015
The best part is getting to work with fun co-workers who make the time go by faster than it actually is. We take apart and put together new card fixtures, as well as stock card products, for stores all over Montana and Cody, Wyoming. Some of the fixtures can be pretty heavy, but that is why we have to be able to lift 50+ pounds when applying for American Greetings. We do have to travel a lot and stay in hotels, but that is kind of a plus. We are able to go to towns that we have never heard of before and experience new places, cultures, and people. It all comes down to the job being a lot of hard work, but with the right motivation and great teamwork we are able to accomplish what needs to be done in a timely manner.
Pros
Hotel rooms are paid for by the company, paid travel time, and given per diem for meals.
Cons
No benefits--no healthcare, no dental, and no vision; no retirement 401(K)
Bad Management and Trainers..
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Highland, IndianaMay 15, 2016
heavy boxes. Your on an unreasonable time restraint. Its JUST CARDS, Management and the people who have the title of "Trainer" make this job very stressful. You need a computer...every day you need to look at what activities and duties that may have or NOT changed. Boss did not allow more that 15min of computer work,,,a WEEK.
Some would spend hours at the computer for this job and you don't get reimbursed. Hardest part was the unexperienced management in the Highland - Schererville area.
Pros
You work alone...
Cons
bad management. your always having to rush and go fast. unreasonable time restaint.
Working for American Greetings
Part-Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2016
The job and what it entailed in itself was actually fun. Typically you would travel to different stores to assemble what was needed for the greeting cards department. You would receive your number of hours weekly based on the route you were given. You could always refer to materials given to make sure you were completing the projects correctly. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with bosses. The most enjoyable part was creating the best presentation possible.
Pros
$12.50 hourly was awesome
Cons
Management was horrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.