American Greetings Employee Reviews

Great Experience to Balance Life and Work !
Retail Sales Merchandiser/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2016
Management is very supportive. This job offers you the ability to create your own daily schedule. It promotes independence. You are given accounts to manage and weekly projects that you are to complete at the end of the work week, on Sundays. In order to sustain job, you must be detail-oriented, effective communicator, have the ability to execute merchandising/marketing strategies, build relationships, execute inventory management, have a keen eye for design and have a reliable car.
Pros
Independent work, flexible schedule, freedom to excel
Cons
limited opportunity for growth, limited benefits
PRODUCTION CHECKER (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 10, 2016
I would make sure that I had all the tools that I needed, so that when my shift starts my crew could perform their work task that was given to them. I learned a lot from the company, how to be professional, responsible, and time efficient. I management or over sees several people to make sure we could get out the best quality at a lost cost. My co-workers and I, we worked good each together, we made sure that everyone was taking care in anyway we new to do. The hardest part probably would be trying to explain to your crew what was require and knowing that they could do the job. The part I really enjoyed was knowing when I left, I did my very best to make we got out was given to us that morning.
Pros
great job, love the people I worked with
Cons
short breaks
Great company
Field Sales (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2017
I enjoy working for the company. They have good work life balance. What makes this company good is the upper management. They work hard to show appreciation to employees. Middle management shows a lot of favoritism.
Pros
Work life balance, Upper Mangement
Cons
Middle management play a lot of favoritism
Great Company
Installation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 2, 2017
American Greetings is a very good company to work for. Benefits and profit sharing were excellent. Management was appreciative and responsive.
Pros
Benefits. Profit Sharing
Cons
Pay. Hours
Flexible work schedule
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYNovember 21, 2016
Flexible schedule, part time hours, no weekend work unless you want to. Friendly environment. Use of your own vehicle. Time management is essential for this job.
Pros
Flexiblilty
Cons
no benefits
very enjoyable place to work
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, ILAugust 31, 2016
My typical day at work is starting out by being organized. When I go into a store , I am prepared for that store. If there is a problem within that store, I find the answer to solving this problem. I have learned that each visit is very different at each store.. I have learned to adapt to changes on a seconds notice. I work closely with management to get product out and to locate it in a place that will boost that stores sales and also to make customers enjoy shopping there. I work closely also with co workers to find answers to numerous questions or more efficient ways to do my job. The hardest part of the job is finding locations to show product that will accent the stores mdse also. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the job done and to know that it is well done. To make sure everyone is happy is enjoyable to me.
Pros
Good working conditions, help if needed
Cons
cant think of any cons
Worst experience
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJuly 29, 2016
After one year on the job and never taking a day off I got my employee review it was a 98%. My manager then pushed a paper towards me with my raise on it... 20 cents bringing my pay to $10.20. My boss couldn't even say it out loud. I covered for numerous other merchandisers and did a great job , but 20 cents was a slap in the face.
very flexible schedule. Great to interact with people on a day to day basis.
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 31, 2016
I greatly enjoy my job with American Greetings. The schedule is very flexible. I love working with customers. The only downfall at the moment with my job is that I don't get enough hours in a week. The pay is sufficient but the allowed hours to work is not enough.
Pros
basically work alone with no one directing or standing over you.
Cons
No health care benefits at all. Not enough hours.
Great design staff-Poor Management
designer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2016
When I worked there I was thrilled at first. I have to say the design teams are a group of fun and talented people. But......when it comes to managment watch your back. It never ceases to amaze me how badly they can treat you for no reason and get away with it. I went thru about 5 lay offs, within the first month they laid off like 30 people. Not a good indicator. Everyone was scared and is scared to lose thier job. The hardest part of the job was learning thier new system. It was daunting and as a designer it was defeating. You are no longer designing but you become and administrator instead. The perks are the creative kick offs if you are lucky to be picked. AG used to be a great place to work but it has gone done hil over the years becuase they don't get rid of the upper management. Sad.
Pros
Creative Gallery Shows and brainstorms
Cons
Management and constant change
Great Place To Work
Product Realization Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJanuary 3, 2017
Great place to work. Creative culture, opportunities to advance or move laterally for more experience. Good mix of creative talent and business associates. Great location.
Lots of dust they don't train you properly easy to get hired and fried
Order Filler/Picker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARDecember 2, 2016
Management is not good co workers are nice and easy to get along with no parts f the job is enjoyable you don't learn nothing from trainers basically you learn on your own or from others typical day is working from bell to bell
Cons
only 20 min lunch breaks no breaks in between
Ok job
Part-time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2017
For people who are in school or retired. Not a career job no advancement at all. No travel expense, limited time to complete job tasks. There is no reimbursement for any expense ie pens, garbage bags, notebooks (for keeping track of schedule). Different sites for completing tasks and entering time worked.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No travel expense, no advancement
Worst people I have ever worked for!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 4, 2017
Supervisor acts like a child and bad mouths other employees. Do not work for this company in this region! Supervisors demand a plan for certain hours and in the interview they said hours were flexible...which they are NOT! Also condescending attitude from supervisors if u don't say how high when they say jump. I had 3 stores and it was too .much so I asked to be at one store instead of all 3. Was told merchandisers don't get to pick and chose where they work. I was under the impression I already worked there. It's a mess and they treat employees horrible.
Pros
Cons
Non flexible hours like they claimed in the interview
Great place to work.
Steel Rule Die-maker/Machine Specialist (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 16, 2016
Great place to work with plenty of different jobs within one plant. Lots of room for advancement. Pay-scale was on par or above for the state. Lots of improvements being made at this plant on a continous basis.
flexible job, with great working conditions
Mechandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 28, 2016
This is a fun job where you can meet the public and work with management for a fulfilling job. The hours are flexible and helping customers is very rewarding.
Pros
flexible
Cons
expectation from managers can change from store to store
Good work place.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 18, 2017
The company is good, just not enough hours or really my forte. Being able to work your own sacrilege is a great thing and there people are wonderful, especially management.
Pros
Make your own hours.
Cons
Not enough hours
Managed poorly
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaNovember 29, 2016
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for as a merchandiser, by far their competitor hallmark are better to their employees! I worked for both companies hallmark first then American greetings. I'm a hard worker so I find it terrible that they treat their employees like dogs. After I hurt my knee and needed coverage for my territory they took my stores away and cut my hours by more than half. Additionally, they don't give their employees enough hours to keep the stores clean and organized, 2 hours once every other week is not enough to keep a Riteaid looking nice for customers.
Cons
Poorly managed
American Greetings is very stern but friendly company.
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Afton, TNDecember 30, 2016
The company is like a well clean and oiled machine going at two hundred miles per minute. But you meet nice people from all over the world there. One bad part is that dearing or near different holidays it's quite exhausting. Only because let's say it's two weeks from Christmas and your making rapping paper for the holiday, but your working all day everyday with it. That just takes a little bit of the spirit out of you.
Pros
Nice people to work with and steadfast.
Cons
Short lunch breaks
You will be laid off... eventually.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJuly 12, 2016
American Greetings is developing a habit of laying off its workers. I know that's the way it goes sometimes but its gotten out of hand. Most staff fear for their jobs especially with the upcoming move scheduled. Management clearly is not capable of handling this move. They have anti-union practices and are phasing out the living wage they paid to many employees. I'm putting them on par with companies like walmart. Why be a walmart when you can be a costco?
Digital Artist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHDecember 10, 2016
Working for American Greeting was a great experience in my career. It worked there as an artist and it was a huge learning experience working with such amazing individuals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.