American Greetings Employee Reviews in United States

Worst experience
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJuly 29, 2016
After one year on the job and never taking a day off I got my employee review it was a 98%. My manager then pushed a paper towards me with my raise on it... 20 cents bringing my pay to $10.20. My boss couldn't even say it out loud. I covered for numerous other merchandisers and did a great job , but 20 cents was a slap in the face.
flexible schedule
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 24, 2016
pay not the greatest but flexible work schedule. Holidays are very busy. Not many hours weekly unless you have multiple stores.
Pleasant company to work for
Mercchandiser (Current Employee) –  New Castle. PAJuly 16, 2016
I have been able to prove not only to myself that I am an invaluable employee by getting the products out on a timely manner but also that I have the capability to speak with store personnel and arrange what is needed for product display.

This is a position where I work alone, however that gives me the extra boost to perform the proper tasks.

My supervisor is extremely friendly and allows us to work on our own standards, but is there if we need her.
Pros
working alone
Cons
Sometimes short hours
Fun work with no rewards
PT Merchandiser/ Training revision specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 14, 2016
On monday you go online to get your calls and hours. You also have activities assigned you must complete. You have 48 hours to follow an order into your account. You put out orders, straighten the account and do any activities due. As TRS I trained new hires and ran revisions. I also covered the accounts without merchandisers.

I learned how to work with store managers, Best Practices, setting new departments, building card displays and working with the computer, telxon and Motorola hand held devises.

There were 6 different managers over a 10 year period. There is little help from management. If there is something you have questions about you cannot get answers or help. They do not like when you take your mandatory breaks. They are always looking for ways to write you up and get rid of employees.

You work by yourself most of the time. On occasion you get to work with a group, which can be fun.

The hardest part of the job is trying to stay within you assigned hours. You have 48 hours to follow orders in accounts. If there are more than one order due in an account and you get one call you have to try splitting what time given or risk getting written up. You also have some computer work. They are not willing to pay you for the computer work. I was told no more than 5 minutes for marking an activity. Computer work consists of getting your hours and calls, checking and marking your activities, reading and writing emails to your manager and the call center and entering your time. You also have to keep up with chain room notifications. Also, if you have a hand held unit
  more... they recall you get to take it to UPS or the Post Office without any compensation.

What I enjoyed the most was the friendly people I worked with. I also liked when we would get to work in groups. Sometimes we would travel out of town in groups for jobs also.
Pros
Able to work around life events, usually
Cons
Low pay, no breaks, no compensation for computer or cell phone use
steady business workplace
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLJuly 14, 2016
loved the job it was quiet. steady paced business. customer were loyal and energetic. everyone worked well together
Engineering Secretary (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJuly 12, 2016
Worked on the JITL, loved it when I was off for the holiday with taking company convenience. Nice employee store to buy items and great price. Liked working the straight 8 hour shift with 30 minute break. Work was not hard but consistent.
Pros
8 hour shifts
Cons
Only one 20 minute break
You will be laid off... eventually.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJuly 12, 2016
American Greetings is developing a habit of laying off its workers. I know that's the way it goes sometimes but its gotten out of hand. Most staff fear for their jobs especially with the upcoming move scheduled. Management clearly is not capable of handling this move. They have anti-union practices and are phasing out the living wage they paid to many employees. I'm putting them on par with companies like walmart. Why be a walmart when you can be a costco?
Flexible
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 11, 2016
I love the flexibility of working for AG. I am able to do my work and be home by the time my son returns from school. This is a perfect fit for a stay at home mom who is looking for a part time.
Great design staff-Poor Management
designer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2016
When I worked there I was thrilled at first. I have to say the design teams are a group of fun and talented people. But......when it comes to managment watch your back. It never ceases to amaze me how badly they can treat you for no reason and get away with it. I went thru about 5 lay offs, within the first month they laid off like 30 people. Not a good indicator. Everyone was scared and is scared to lose thier job. The hardest part of the job was learning thier new system. It was daunting and as a designer it was defeating. You are no longer designing but you become and administrator instead. The perks are the creative kick offs if you are lucky to be picked. AG used to be a great place to work but it has gone done hil over the years becuase they don't get rid of the upper management. Sad.
Pros
Creative Gallery Shows and brainstorms
Cons
Management and constant change
Shaky Management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAJune 25, 2016
I didn't have to have my income because my husband worked thank goodness. They would keep decreasing our hours but except the same results for their merchandising. I enjoyed the ability to make my own hours though.
Pros
make your own hours
Cons
no immediate contacts in the area
Excellent Compensation and Benefits
Regional Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARJune 21, 2016
Compensation is above average for the area. I was given many opportunities to expand my experience and knowledge by working in different areas of the company.
Highly Collaborative Environment
Assistant Product Manager, Seasonal Gift Packaging (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 14, 2016
Fast paced and collaborative environment with a creative focus. Product lines appeals to all people that seek an emotional connection.
Temporary Job
Nesco Resource (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYJune 11, 2016
When I first got out of high school I worked for Nesco Resource and work her for the summer. I made good hours and money and I didn't want to leave. I made a lot of friends here and loved how we worked as a teams and get things done on time. We did packaging and stood for hours, but it didn't matter to me because I enjoyed it a lot.
Pros
good friends, money, hours, team work
Cons
temporary job
Good for a little extra cash
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 8, 2016
A good job if you work well on your own. Able to set your schedule based on the number of hours you are given each week. This job is ok for anyone who just wants to have something to do but there are no benefits or perks. Must be prepared to work holidays and weekends.
Great company and employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 6, 2016
Great people. Job can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get your own pace and system it becomes very easy. The most enjoyable part was that I was able to work on my own time at my own pace with little interference from management unless I requested it, or it was a new task that I needed assistance with. I was able to work independently and freely.
Mission is Foggy
Consultant Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJune 5, 2016
I was hired in March 2016 when the corporate direction was to hurry and complete the SAP conversion ASAP. In May, the management seemed shocked that hiring numerous contractors cost money and many had do go to save cash. Wish the company had some kind of intelligent overall plan. That would have left some room for the welfare of their contractors. I just feel used for no good purpose.
Pros
people at Emerald Resources treated me well.
Cons
planning done poorly.
overall American greetings employees are happy with the jobs and the pay and benefits
Order filling/ Pick to lite/Low Volume (Current Employee) –  danville kyJune 4, 2016
American greetings hires a lot of family members of pre-existing employees. I was glad they recognize the need to have 12 weeks to train in each department because it is necessary to reach the required production numbers...Good pay and benefits
The job is easy, but with that comes horrible management.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJune 1, 2016
Management is horrible, if you don't stand up for yourself they will bully you. They will lie to stick together even from the top. They have their favorites and let them do as they please. So just find another job cause other companies are paying more with longer breaks.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Short breaks
Loved the hours
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJune 1, 2016
I was able to plan my work days around my children which was very helpful. I worked alone but could get help if needed. The job wasn't very demanding.
Friendly work invironment
Installation Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 25, 2016
Drive to the store in a car pull. Talk with the rest of the crew throughout the day even while working. Always had a good time.