American Greetings

American Greetings Employee Reviews

Management need to work in the field
Territory Lead (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible
Cons: Not enough time to get the job done.
American Greetings has follows a system that assigns a certain amount of hours to work a store each week. It does not take into account, how many boxes are received, how bad the department has been shopped, walking back to the warehouse to get the shipments and bringing them back to the department to work them up. The merchandisers also need to follow the "Best Practices" while working. The expectations with the amount of hours and getting the orders up do not work. Each time the merchandiser is audited/worked with they are scrutinized on this. No matter what their excuse is they never are going to be 100% rating. To get everything done the merchandiser usually does not report the actual HOURS WORKED. (Reporting on the MERCHANDISER position)
I love my job at American Greetings
Part-Time Merchandiser (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: low pay
I have been a merchandiser since 2010 starting with Nabisco and then for various other merchandising companies. I love this field as work and honestly American Greetings has been my favorite and best merchandising job out of it all.

Typical work day: I check my orders on the company based employee only website, I plan out the days I can go to the store so I can bring my orders out to the sales floor (cards of course, gift wrap, stickers, bags, season products, etc...). I have to track my own time of when I come in and out of my stores and input them in the system later. I work independently. I have 4 stores in my route that I have to service.

What I learned: I learned how American Greetings operate as a company. I am very much involved with inventory with my Motorola hand-held. I order card products for certain stores and keep track of products no longer in use.

Management: I am fortunate to have a great manager. He is our territory supervisor and is very helpful and nice. It is easy to communicate with him and he makes sure we are properly trained in our work.

Your co-workers: Since we mostly work independently alone, we don't really see our co-workers. Our co-workers are usually the workers in the store that see us on a regular basis. On special occasion when I do work with AG co-workers (like for a re-model or re-merchandise of a store) they are all nice.

The hardest part about the job: Was learning the terminology and how to do work a little differently for each of the stores. I service a grocery chain, a dollar store, and a big pack store. So, each chain does things differently.

The most enjoyable part about the job: It is part time, flexible. I get to chose when I can work as long as I make my weekly visits to the stores I am assigned to. I get to work around my shipment orders and be a college student at the same time.
Great internship
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 12, 2015
Assisted in DVD replication, distribution, and script digitization. Coordinated intern orientations and New York, Los Angeles offices. 
Good company to work for, get to set your own hours.
Part-time Merchandiser (Current Employee), Gonzales, LAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: i get to set my own hours.
Cons: do not get enough hours.
Very good company to work for, terrific management.
I work in 5 different stores ordering and putting out greeting cards.
Fun place to work, pleasant environment most of the time.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: worked my own hours.
Cons: change of supervisors often.
I was very happy working at American Greeting. I worked independently. I liked all the store managers that I worked with. The only downfall of this job was that supervisors changed frequently and they all had different ideas on what the responsibilities and job description. A typical day was going into local stores and restocking their greeting card dept. It also involved doing my own payroll and ordering stock. It also involved dealing with the public, so you needed to have good communication skills.
A good place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Fast-paced environment juggling multiple projects at a time. Projects and creative work are typically fun. Benefits and pay are great.
Outgoing staff
3rd Key Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hanover, MDFebruary 24, 2015
opening and closing store for business day, cashier and customer service, returns and exchanges, shipment, transfers, enjoyable staff to work with
Interned for one summer, was very impressed!
Internship (Former Employee), OhioFebruary 22, 2015
Although my summer internship was short, I very much enjoyed my time at American Greetings. The culture is lively, fun, and upbeat.
I loved this job
Retail Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Augusta, GAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: independent working environment.
Cons: sometimes you had to travel long distances.
I loved this job because I didn't have a SET SCHEDULE. I basically made my own hours, as long as I completed my given assignments.
good pay,and benifits, but management always made everyone feel that they could be replace d at any time, and after seventeen year they did with there
warehouse shipping clerk and truck driver (Former Employee), Forest City, NCFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: good pay while they keep you working
Cons: would lay you off seamed one week then work you threeweeks then lay off again.
Your just a number to them, but this was many years ago. would go back to work for them again if was needed. The worker s were good people.
Advancement
Machine Specialist (Former Employee), Afton, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: seasonal
I am currently on lay off from this company, I will meet with the HR manager to discuss advancement opportunities in management. I have advanced to other positions and became a multi-skilled associate.
Good independent job
Stock employee (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: independant work schedule
Cons: bad pay
Good for independant workers. not enough hrs and the pay was poor. but loved the stores i worked at
Customer Service (Former Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 29, 2015
Scheduled reps for service visits and answered incoming phone calls from our
customers (Wal-Mart, Eckerd, CVS, and Duane Reade.)
Prevented store losses using awareness, attention to detail and integrity.
Worked under strict deadlines and responded to service requests and emergency
call-outs.
Overall it was a great experience.
Merchandising greeting cards
VolunteeMerchandising (Current Employee), long beach, CAJanuary 29, 2015
As a Merchandiser I am responsible for keeping the card department orderly and full. This
involves putting away orders and re-ordering merchandise as needed; setting up and
maintaining seasonal and special displays; paperwork as required.
I had fun working for American Greetings
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Enterprise, AlabamaJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: fun job, nice people.
Cons: pay
Stocking greeting cards, bows, gift bags and a lot more.
taking inventories, keeping backroom clean.
I had nice co-workers. The job was fun.
Its a great opportunity
Merchandiser/Sales (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2015
a very independent job
a great first job
very busy
and I enjoy it
You are able to advance with this company.
Order Copy Coordinator (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 4, 2015
My last position was making the order copies for the sales force to use when ordering their inventory for the card shops.
Excellent place to work
Accounts payable (Former Employee), Brooklyn, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Typical day was paying the stores bills and making sure rent was paid. Co-workers picked up and always willing to learn what each other was doing. I had also picked up various projects to be done when they came aroud.
Great job for those with OCD!!
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Greenville, SCJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: flexibility with weekly hours!!
Cons: antique scanner. web site not chrome-compatible
Love this visually appealing job. I love to take 'nothing' and make it look great! Web site and scanners should be upgrading though. Others in Company very nice to work with. I love the flexibility for planning my weekly hours around MY schedule!!
Not enough hours...
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee), Davenport, IAJanuary 2, 2015
This job was okay but not enough hours given for the week. Manager did not communicate very well to the employees.

About American Greetings

American Greetings has been building its sturdy house of cards for more than a century. The #2 US maker of greeting cards (behind – Read more

American Greetings Salaries

$9.50 per hour
Merchandiser
$18,500 per year

American Greetings Photos

American Greetings makes everyday connections a little more meaningful.
ARLENE CASALE