American Greetings Employee Reviews

working for American Greetings
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJune 5, 2017
I keep busy, which I like, and the hours are very flexible. Management is very easy to work with. I enjoy working for this company. I just wish it were full time and had benefits. This is the only downfall
Awesome company to work for. Great team work.
Merchandiser, Territory Lead (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 4, 2017
I worked for AG for 16 years. This company allowed me the opportunity to be able to care for my children and not have to place them in daycare. As the years went on I was promoted and loved my job as MRT/Territory Lead. This gave me an opportunity to build on my leadership skills. I had an awesome group of people working with me.
Pros
Flexibility
I work my own hours
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cassville, MO, Rogers ARJune 4, 2017
Sign in everyday, retrieve merchandise from the back room, put out greeting cards-party goods, straighten cards that are on display, set up seasonal displays.
Pros
set my own hours
Cons
Dont get to work enough hours
Very productive
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARJune 2, 2017
For the most part I learned about invoices and the bar codes on back of the cards. I also learned how to go by picking the cards and stacking them on my arm as I pick the order. Some of the orders were like 100 box orders and not little boxes the big box orders it was kind of hard trying to make production with orders like that.
Pros
Get 3 breaks
Cons
Very short breaks and the orders be ridiculous
Fun place very active
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARMay 31, 2017
I worked in order filling how to lift heavy boxes and bring them to the assembly line I filled orders for customers I tried my very best but I was not fast enough for them.
Pros
moving your knees was very good to do
Cons
Very hard work keep motivating
Fun place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Forest City, NCMay 28, 2017
I enjoyed working here because everybody was laid back and was always lending a helping hand when needed...The hardest part of my job was getting out last minute orders..I enjoyed working with co workers that were serious about the company as I was
Great part time position.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 27, 2017
American greetings does provide adequate training and assistance if needed. The company does a great job getting new products to sell. The merchandiser position is simplified in many ways. Product is delivered to the location to make it easy to work the product out to the sales floor. Supplies are shipped directly to the location as well. Vendors often need space and compete for addition storage space in each store. The hardest part of the position would have to be resetting cards after a holiday. It takes many hours to set a new holiday. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and working with other merchandisers.
Pros
You can set which days you complete your work for the week.
Cons
There is only one review per year.
Mangement is hard to work with
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 27, 2017
I enjoyed my years at American Greetings. The hours were great for a parent with kids in school. I enjoyed working in different stores setting product and working with store managers.
Pros
Great hours for parents with kids in school
Cons
Poor Management
I worked hrer before but I got fired
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARMay 25, 2017
I love it there it s easy I would like to come back if I can and they pay the right amount I just wanna come back for the last time I miss the people iw as working with.
Pros
Its easy
Cons
Short breks
Flexible part-time job
Part-time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 20, 2017
This is a good job for part-timers. It's a laid back position where there is limited supervision, Basically, the job requires setting, restocking, and maintaining American Greetings products at assigned stores.There's really little interaction between the management/employees in the stores. I enjoyed it but it gets monotonous after awhile.
Pros
Work independently, set your own hours, no supervision
Cons
low pay, not enough hours, monotonous
This job is very flexible
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  AlternatesMay 13, 2017
This job is very flexible and you learn how to work independently. There is no one holding your hand while you complete tasks, you are trusted to accomplish your goals on your own. It's a fun and flexible job and management is very kind.
n/a
Merchandiser and Installation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44144May 12, 2017
great if you have flexible schedule
last minute
shipments of product not reliable
paid parking re-imbursement always delayed
great if you have flexible schedule
Productive and Fun place to work.
Executive Secretary/Receptionist/Client Services (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMay 12, 2017
A typical day at work involved listening to a tape and typing three managers' correspondence and work-with reports. Another duty was to create holiday sales presentations on the computer to present to the sales reps in large meetings. I enjoyed working independently, yet near other administrative assistants. The company gives a matching 401k plan. The salary was average. The commute for me was very close. I worked there until the branch office gave all of the secretaries severance pay and they didn't use secretaries any longer because the management were using laptops by now. The company had several parties during the year. The hardest part of the job was being accurate and getting the projects done on time before the meetings.
Pros
Nice place to work; nice people
Cons
Salary was a little low
flexible hours
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILMay 12, 2017
Flexible hours within a specified time range. Hours work change every week, so complete flexibility is required. I was required to work anywhere from 8 hours a week during slow periods, and 40 hours plus during peak periods. Company would not pay overtime.
Great place to work, good people
Converting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Afton, TNMay 9, 2017
Many political 'clicks' in upper management. If you're 'in' you'll do well. The plant manager is a fine person who cares about his greatest resource, his people.
Little Hours, Little Pay, Useless Management, No Advancement
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Somersworth, NHMay 7, 2017
I worked for this company as a part time merchandiser for 9 years. Not once was I ever offered any bit of advancement, even though I could do the job blind folded. I was actually told by my supervisor shortly before I quit that there would never be any advancement for me because I didn't have a degree. Unreal. The supervisors for American Greetings is completely useless. They tend to hire in fresh from college graduates whom have never done this job before, and put them in a management position. They don't have a clue about how the jobs actually run and work. Have fun trying to reach your supervisors. You can email them, and 90% of the time, they will not respond. Only time you hear from them is if they have a question, then you are expected for a prompt reply. Calling them will get you no where either.

The hours that are given per account are unreal and unrealistic. I was hired in being promised at least 30+ hours a week. Lucky if I would be scraping in 10-15 hours. By the time you take out the cost of travel, it just wouldn't pay. Their raises are mediocre, and laughable. A few cents raise a year, that's about it. New hires with no experience will come in making a few cents less than you.

The job itself is fairly easy and fun to do. When it comes down to it I enjoyed the job itself. I liked being able to work at my own pace, on days that I wanted to work. I didn't have to be stuck in the regular 9-5 routine. This job does require you to work the day before, and the day after a holiday, so planning vacations around the holidays doesn't happen. There are no incentives,
  more... or recognition for amazing work. They have Rose Awards, but all they are good for is "buying" things that should be AG supplied (AG pens, AG shirts, AG work bag) etc. You will spend your own money on work supplies since they never seem to come around to giving you the supplies needed.

This company used to be wonderful to work for a decade ago, but it has gone down hill over the years.
Pros
Work at your own pace, set your own schedule, flexible hours, easy work
Cons
Low hours, low pay, lots of travel, no advancement, horrible management, outdated equipment
Productive and accomadating
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Houghton, MIMay 5, 2017
This job was an excellent source of income that would allow me to work around my busy school schedule at the time. I learned the ins and outs of being a merchandiser for many different franchises around Houghton County in Michigan.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Not enough hours, poor compensation
good place to work
Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARMay 2, 2017
Great place to work and the pay is good. On a typical work day, you get the cards ready to be packaged and shipped out to the different department stores or business so they can sell them.
Pros
great pay
Cons
Night shift sucks
Can Work Based On Your Needs
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  KentuckyApril 28, 2017
Must have the drive to work as you go on your own time and are very autonomous. Can choose to accept a lot or a little work depending on your schedule and needs. Holidays require more dedication. Can be relaxing or irritating depending on personality type.
Pros
Work when you decide to; see a lot of people; hours vary
Cons
Have to rely on stores/store managers to get what you need, can be harde
Senior Accountant
State and Local Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHApril 26, 2017
Worked for the company for almost 10 years and learned a lot and contributed greatly to the company's bottom line. They were very satisfied with my work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.