American Greetings Employee Reviews

the Management actually cared
Installation Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Working here was most enjoyable, they had a good work pace and management was understanding as long as they saw that you were actually trying to pull your weight. They made sure everyone was safe while they worked. before we would start our shift they made sure everyone stretched and was loosened up. they also did they same thing after we took our lunch.
Pros
The managers were friendly and family oriented and the pay was excellent
this is a good place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARSeptember 3, 2015
my mornings began with me talking with the previous operator about how their night of work went I am looking for feedback or heads up of any problems with machine or production.

I always have to do my own inspection
I enjoyed working with other employees
correcting some one else mistakes or picking up too much of some one else's responsibility.

I like setting my own goals and completing them when working production.
Pros
the pay was decent
Cons
too much horse play among young employees and breathing the air
Fun to work outside the home
Independent Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 21, 2015
Enjoyed working on my own time and working at several different stores. I enjoyed getting to know the chain employees and learning the procedures and policies of each store. AG is a great place to work for a stay at home mom.
Pros
worked on my own time
Cons
pay was low
Not a company to work for
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 16, 2015
Compensation is not a lot for what you are expected to do. Too much work, not enough people to do it. From my personal experience my district manager was a bully and disrespectful.
Pros
Make own schedule
Cons
Pay and management
Not for everybody
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  osceola, atOctober 10, 2015
AG has this motto: "we create happiness, love and laughter," or something along those lines.

Perhaps that is true for the recipients of our products, but the treatment of employees by management can be very damaging - emotionally, spiritually and sometimes even physically.

Not all departments are the same; different employees see things differently, but the AG I know is a playground for bullies who pick on the weak and (figuratively speaking) kick the injured while they're down.

At some point, you stop feeling like and employee and more like a servant or, in some cases, a slave. In many departments, there is very little respect between management and those who work for them.
Pros
pays well, insurance is better than what my husband has, promote safety in and outside of the workplace
Cons
rules are unclear, we are expected to lift items that are far too heavy for us to lift, too many people - bosses included - are too eager to dig around in my personal, medical life
Company as a whole is a great place to work, Customer Service department has limited freedom
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2015
Typical day at work is 8 1/2 hrs. Two paid 15 minute breaks, 1 30 minute lunch. From 9pm to 5pm telephones are on, you are expected to be in your seat performing job duties.

Learned how to work with customers on a daily basis.

Management is accommodating, co-workers are great.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with difficulty and disgruntled customers day in and day out.

Most enjoyable part of the job is co-workers.
Cons
No down time
Average experience - good people
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greeneville, TNDecember 12, 2015
This is a company that has been very comfortable for a long time and is having to adapt to a new market where paper products are going extinct.
Teamwork Experience Gained
Installer (Former Employee) –  Carson, CADecember 4, 2015
I enjoyed this company for the development of teamwork skills. It helped me with my communication skills and boost my technical operation skills as well.
Very flexible, great team
PTM (Current Employee) –  Covington. VaJuly 24, 2015
I have worked as a Merchandiser since May 2015. Took 2 years to finally get my territory. Love this job. Pay is ok for the area. Hours are slim but if your like me. Need xtra cash get out of the house type. Its PERFECT. like being your own boss. No one over your shoulder all day. I go to my stores do my job and leave. Love it!! Not sure about advancement but do know I could get at least 2 more stores in my area if they become available . Supervisor is great to work with. I see myself here a very long time!!!
Pros
Flexible schedule!!!
Cons
I cant think of any.
Productive and fun workplace
Revision Helper (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 19, 2015
The best part is getting to work with fun co-workers who make the time go by faster than it actually is. We take apart and put together new card fixtures, as well as stock card products, for stores all over Montana and Cody, Wyoming. Some of the fixtures can be pretty heavy, but that is why we have to be able to lift 50+ pounds when applying for American Greetings. We do have to travel a lot and stay in hotels, but that is kind of a plus. We are able to go to towns that we have never heard of before and experience new places, cultures, and people. It all comes down to the job being a lot of hard work, but with the right motivation and great teamwork we are able to accomplish what needs to be done in a timely manner.
Pros
Hotel rooms are paid for by the company, paid travel time, and given per diem for meals.
Cons
No benefits--no healthcare, no dental, and no vision; no retirement 401(K)

Want to know more about American Greetings?

Ask a question
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachNovember 20, 2015
Keep the card areas organized in each store. Put up new cards and pull old cards according to plan-o-grams. Construct displays for special events. Input hours and work completed.
It was ok
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  newingtonAugust 6, 2015
I t was a lot of work for the money. Customers really mess up the cards even when your right there. The manager expected you to treat the job as a full time job. I had a full time job and was just looking for extra money. Holidays are harder because you have to work around crowds of people. It was a never ending battle to keep the cards neat.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay
Undecided
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 25, 2015
Changed management three times while employed, but the environment is fun and the overall product was fun to be apart up to production. Compensation and benefits are above fair. Difficult to find resources.
it could be a fun job
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 7, 2015
You are scheduled your own set of stores and still have to help other locals with theirs. American Greetings is just cards, right? No there is a particular method to everything and its so annoying. The people that I worked with were all crazy. If you are lucky to have a good team it could be okay. You don't get paid enough for all you have to do and that sucks because it is a lot. Our head director never answers or returns messages because he is just ughhhh.
Fun and stress free work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg VaJune 30, 2015
I have work weeks where I can choose when I go in to work.
I clean up the empty cards fill empty slots check stock room for boxes and easily put up cards and other products.
I enjoy the calmness of the job and enjoy working with the store employees and there customers.
The hardest part was learning how to use the scanner but it was really easy to learn just over weliming at first but in just two months I have learned my own way and its easy as can be.
Pros
making your own work time
Cons
its not alot of hours
Seasonal changes
Field Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 13, 2015
A most enjoyable day is the seasonal change over were the department is completely redesigned according to the year season.
It is a lot of work but the end result appearance surpass the amount of work put in to.
Pros
minimun supervision
Cons
no breaks
Fun workplace that was always changing
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 15, 2015
A typical day would begin by checking my email to find out what was expected of the day. Once at the location I would check for the boxes of product that needed to be stocked on the sales floor. I learned about stocking, inventory and patience with customers. Management was very helpful and had a hands-on attitude. My co-workers were quite friiendly and helped when asked. The hardest part of the job was moving the boxes to the floor as well as mainaining floor space for special displays. The most enjoyable part wa stocking the different greeting cards and other items.
Pros
Annual shopping spree at manager meeting
Cons
keeping cards in an orderly fashion
Fun job!! All by yourself!
mercandiser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia paAugust 18, 2015
A great part time job! For people who just want to get out of the house and make friends. Not for money! It's great you go into other stores. It's a lot of movement up and down. Caring boxes. You will meet a lot of people. You work by yourself.
Pros
Great people to work for and with!
Cons
no crons
Great workplace
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYJune 7, 2015
Most days at work were great at American Greetings. It taught me all of my forklift skills and how to be a really safe and valuable member of society. Everyone I worked with including management were very friendly and most of the time understanding when you had bad nights. The Hardest thing to deal with was the production constantly raising, which is understandable. The turn over rate would be really low if it wasn't for high productivity. The bigger the turnover rate the less the company has to pay for vacation time or retirement. it was really enjoyable most of the time though.
Pros
good lunch, family oriented enviroment
Cons
sky high production. very easy to learn
Enjoy meeting people!
Part time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Payson, AZOctober 15, 2015
Manager is Awesome! Position is great for my family life! I have been able to meet many great people at each of my stores. Never the same thing twice! :)
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Rate of pay. :(