American Greetings Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoy meeting people!
Part time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Payson, AZOctober 15, 2015
Manager is Awesome! Position is great for my family life! I have been able to meet many great people at each of my stores. Never the same thing twice! :)
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Rate of pay. :(
Not the best to be
Forklift Driver/Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Osceola, ARMay 30, 2015
I worked there for 2 and a half years. A place full of children, I call it. I really hated this place, Only the money and benefits are good. Other than that its 3 stars. I would do whatever to stay away from there. They try to get you out, and if they not writing you up. The team leader is not doing his/her job.
It was ok
Part Time Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  newingtonAugust 6, 2015
I t was a lot of work for the money. Customers really mess up the cards even when your right there. The manager expected you to treat the job as a full time job. I had a full time job and was just looking for extra money. Holidays are harder because you have to work around crowds of people. It was a never ending battle to keep the cards neat.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay
Think Again...
part time merchandiser (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo, miSeptember 19, 2014
American Greetings in my opinion is the biggest waist company I know! They don't recycle and throw away new product that hasn't even been put out. Tons of cards, gift bags, stationary, wrapping paper, you name it, if it's been discontinued its in the garbage. BIG WAIST!!
They don't give good raises, ten cents more an hour after the the first 15 months.
They don't pay overtime,(unless you are a manager, and it takes at least 10-15 years to get there )it's never even more then 8-12 hours a week, MAYBE! And if you are over the small amount of hours they give you each week, then it's a knock against you. Sometimes it's only 3 hours a week. That does not even pay for gas after taxes!!
The scanners they use are from 1960's and barely work!! Makes it difficult to do your job.
They say one thing and then do another. NO real perks, like free cards, and the inventory that is all being dumped( that is new and unopened) you are not allowed to take, or give to a homeless shelter or a retirement home.
Even the employees that have been there over 20+ years that are dedicated and supportive are not supported with enough hours, pay for a cell phone, or pay millage.
If your just looking for a job to use up the spare time, then it's a easy job to learn.
Pros
flexible sechedule
Cons
low hours, not good pay, no perks.
Regular internship
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Osceola, AROctober 8, 2015
a good opportunity to receive a brief idea of a typical work schedule. had free time to learn Auto CAD and different projects
Great company to work for
District Analyst/Automated Replenishment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 17, 2015
American Greetings was challenging but very rewarding. Learn a great deal while with the company. Hardest part of the job was leaving to take another job as they are moving the corporate headquarters.
Seasonal changes
Field Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 13, 2015
A most enjoyable day is the seasonal change over were the department is completely redesigned according to the year season.
It is a lot of work but the end result appearance surpass the amount of work put in to.
Pros
minimun supervision
Cons
no breaks
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Valdosta GaOctober 7, 2015
Order and Stock Greeting Cards for Retail stores. Handle Supply and Demand. Inventory Control. Clean and Organize Shelves
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Holiday
Good place to start out of college
Seasonal Marketing Analyst, Walmart Merchant Team (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHSeptember 11, 2014
No day is the same, depending on your job role. Management could be better, company encourages lateral movements rather than promotions (hard to do without seniority) - some roles have a quicker glass sealing than others. Mostly women work there, unintentionally, which makes the environment different.
Fun and stress free work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg VaJune 30, 2015
I have work weeks where I can choose when I go in to work.
I clean up the empty cards fill empty slots check stock room for boxes and easily put up cards and other products.
I enjoy the calmness of the job and enjoy working with the store employees and there customers.
The hardest part was learning how to use the scanner but it was really easy to learn just over weliming at first but in just two months I have learned my own way and its easy as can be.
Pros
making your own work time
Cons
its not alot of hours
American Greetings
Employee Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OHJuly 30, 2014
Overall company is good and a fun culture. Pay is average and the hours are great. Nice work/life balance.
Pros
good hours
Cons
management
wide range of departmental attitudes and environments
Lettering Designer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, OhioMay 10, 2012
Like so many places AG Creative is no longer a place to spend your entire career. If you are a good match and get hired, it is all about how quickly you can acclimate to the workflow and team dynamics and deliver the goods in a fresh way.

I was there for 26 years, so there have been a variety of typical days over the course of re-organizations, new management, re-vision of product, shifts in marketing. There were a few years when everyday included a chance to develop and submit my own ideas or work in full color. There were many more years when every day was 1-3 jobs to be lettered in black ink, scanned, tweaked and released with the job.

The hardest part of the job were the two times I had erratic or personally abusive bosses. There was no redress for this the first time, the second time took a few years to sort out, but i was able to be heard eventually.

The best part was earning a living doing something i love and am really good at, working part-time, and growing in the company people who valued each other as people and artists.
Pros
great co-workers, comfortable workplace
Cons
inefficiencies in some design/review protocols, conservative approach to hr
it could be a fun job
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 7, 2015
You are scheduled your own set of stores and still have to help other locals with theirs. American Greetings is just cards, right? No there is a particular method to everything and its so annoying. The people that I worked with were all crazy. If you are lucky to have a good team it could be okay. You don't get paid enough for all you have to do and that sucks because it is a lot. Our head director never answers or returns messages because he is just ughhhh.
Fun job!! All by yourself!
mercandiser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia paAugust 18, 2015
A great part time job! For people who just want to get out of the house and make friends. Not for money! It's great you go into other stores. It's a lot of movement up and down. Caring boxes. You will meet a lot of people. You work by yourself.
Pros
Great people to work for and with!
Cons
no crons
a great place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  san diegoSeptember 13, 2015
I have 5 stores to services right now. I enjoy working with the stores managers, and employees. I take pride in my dept. and helping to bring sales up.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
no health care
Calm environment,self paced work
Revision Trainer Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Augusta, SCAugust 23, 2015
Ensuring merchandisers are trained properly and have the proper tools to set up displays. Travel to different locations to assist merchandisers and make sure all protocol is being followed.
Terrible place to work!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lawton OkApril 1, 2015
Very low pay. And they do not give you enough time to complete activities. Supervisor's do not spend enough time in the field. Therefore have no idea what really goes on.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay. No hours. And bad management.
Exciting Opportunity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 2, 2014
This was an exciting opportunity for me, I was new to retail management and corporate gave me the start that I needed. Retail management is rewarding and hard work, I learned so much about leadership and how to use that in all areas in my life. Being accountable and responsible for the stores inventory, gain/loss, payroll, and most importantly, to me, was customer service. American Greetings was a great company to work for.
Pros
leading a fabulous store for a fabulous company!
Cons
distance to travel to work.
Management need to work in the field
Territory Lead (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
American Greetings has follows a system that assigns a certain amount of hours to work a store each week. It does not take into account, how many boxes are received, how bad the department has been shopped, walking back to the warehouse to get the shipments and bringing them back to the department to work them up. The merchandisers also need to follow the "Best Practices" while working. The expectations with the amount of hours and getting the orders up do not work. Each time the merchandiser is audited/worked with they are scrutinized on this. No matter what their excuse is they never are going to be 100% rating. To get everything done the merchandiser usually does not report the actual HOURS WORKED. (Reporting on the MERCHANDISER position)
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not enough time to get the job done.
Learning and challenging with opportunities
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Osceola, AROctober 5, 2012
Good place to work. Had opportunity to advance. Would had like the chance to work there again. Nice company.
Pros
good benefits, challenging work
Cons
sometimes management was slow on getting things relayed between shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Greetings. Our community is ready to answer.