A pharmacy benefits management (PBM) company with nationwide client base, good compensation package, and very welcoming atmosphere.
Pros: welcoming, close-knit company, great compensation package, calm & productive atmosphere, lots of opportunity for advancement.
Cons: overwhelming amount of work.
- Was hired by AHC through a temp agency. Though I had no experience working in the healthcare or pharmaceutical industries, I was hired based on the quality work and reliability I'd demonstrated in my previous positions.
- Most of my day was spent in a cubicle at my computer surrounded by the happy, productive ladies and gents within my department and my supervisor, all of whom were always available if I needed any help or advice.
- My direct supervisor, though quite busy herself, was always available for me, fair, a good communicator, and very responsive to any needs or concerns I had.
- The most difficult aspect of the job for me was the responsibilities that kept being subtly added to my workload. I ended up feeling like I was expected to complete the amount of work appropriate for about 3 people, which started out an exhilarating challenge, but soon became discouraging.
- The most enjoyable aspects of the job were: 1) being around my co-workers and supervisor, who were amazing about celebrating everyone's birthday, and extremely friendly and helpful, 2) learning a ton of new skills (which ultimately make you more employable overall), and 3) knowing that advancement in the company depended solely on my own enthusiasm and hard work.
(P.S. When my grandmother passed away, my supervisor instantly gave me some time off to be with my family, and when I got back, my dept had chipped in to get me a bouquet of flowers and a sympathy card. Also, when I was dealing with a health issue, my supervisor and the head of HR were willing to work with me to adjust my schedule a bit because they valued my work.)