American Heart Association Employee Reviews in United States

Important subject matter delivered by enthusiastic and well trained healthcare professionals
BLS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAApril 10, 2016
I created a comfortable classroom environment while inspiring others to learn CPR and prepare to act appropriately when the time comes.
Great Work Environment
Corporate Market Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 2, 2016
AHA is great place to work. It is an incredible non profit organization that works hard in raising awareness on heart disease and stroke.
Fun environment
Volunteer Community Team (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Educated the public on healthy eating and diet.. Enjoyed working on health fairs and seminars. Great people to work with.
Great cause
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 11, 2016
I worked in a nutrition booth for kids at a charity walk for the American Heart Association. It was a fun day and its a great cause.
Working within AHA
Project Coordinator, Science Marketing (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 19, 2015
While the people I work directly around are amazing, personally I feel like some departments are drowning because of the poor interactions with upper management. Things are not addressed and handled they are repeatedly swept under the run. Its better to keep your head down than to have an opinion.
The company itself is amazing and there are plenty of other departments within the company that are great to work with. I am very fond of the company itself.
Pros
Ability to work from home when needed
Cons
Office Politics
Great organization with a wonderful mission
Corporate Development Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2015
Great place to work if you are looking to make a difference. There is a great team at the AHA and I enjoyed working alongside some of the best and brightest in the business.
Horrible Non Profit Experience
Youth Market Representative (Former Employee) –  KansasNovember 17, 2015
This was the worst non-profit I ever worked for. I worked 80+ hours a week at times and had to train my bosses when they were hired. I met fundraising goals each year and it was never enough. High pressure position, no work-life balance.
Somewhat flexable yet micro-managed
CPR and BLS Instructor (Current Employee) –  NevadaNovember 11, 2015
If you build your own business well, this might be for you. Some micro management is common, sometimes reminds me of a pyramid scheme. Best when self employed!
Pros
self determination
Cons
management
Na
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 22, 2015
Coworkers were great
Do not feel comfortable giving any other information about the company or management
Na na na na na na
I worked here as an intern and learned a lot from my preceptor.
Worksite Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 19, 2015
I did a worksite health promotion assessment. Also learned about tobacco control. I could have learned more and had more responsibility but I was only there three months.
Wonderful, supportive place to work. Proud to say I was a part of something so big.
Assistant to Corporate Market Director (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 18, 2015
As the assist to a Corporate Director, it was a pleasure to work with so many different people - especially on the American Heart Walk. The experiences will never be forgotten - creating Company Team meetings - making sure all the logistics were on par, that each task was completed to perfection. Seeing our success on the day of the actual walk, seeing thousands of people in one place for one reason... that's why I did what I did. Lots of hours but totally worth it.
Pros
Helping to save lives and teach people. Working with a great supervisor.
Cons
Lots of hours and weekends sometimes, but it was worth it.
No Structure
Sales Director Heart Walks (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 13, 2015
The sales aspect is on your own. You raise money the way you want but if you don't meet your goals they are all over you. Very Stressful
Pros
Your own schdeule
Cons
Lack of management and guidance
Volunteer
Chief Volunteer (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 2, 2015
I volunteered for them so most of the expectations were put on myself. I was given a lot of latitude with finding ways to coordinate new groups of fundraisers.
great atmosphere able to go out in community and do much outreach
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 30, 2015
reaching out to community and making free resources known to participants. worst part of community outreach is when participants refuse to acknowledge their need.
Mission centered while caring for the individual employee
Marketing (Former Employee) –  DallasSeptember 10, 2015
American Heart Association is a fantastic company to work for. Their dedication to their Mission as well as their employees is excellent.

They offer excellent training and mobility opportunities within the company and excel at supporting career development.
Pros
Career Advancement strongly supported and provided
Great Association that Provided Many Lifeguarding Jobs
Member (Former Employee) –  Delaware County, PASeptember 8, 2015
Being involved with the American Heart Association and their company over the years was a great experience because throughout my certification tests completed I was able to get several lifeguarding jobs.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for lifeguard positions.
Cons
Certification cost was high.
American Heart Association was a tiny office with lots of personality
Receptionist/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 19, 2015
my boss was a lot of fun. his philosophy was providing a fun place to work so that people gave their 100 % . His philosophy worked. very social, rewarding place to work
Fun work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 13, 2015
I have learned much from this company. Difficult to grow and must manage up.

The American Heart Association (AHA) is a non-profit organization in the United States that fosters appropriate cardiac care in an effort to reduce disability and deaths caused by cardiovascular disease and stroke. Originally formed in New York City in 1915 as the Association for the Prevention and Relief of Heart Disease,it is currently headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The American Heart Association is a national voluntary health agency.

They are known for publishing standards on basic life support and advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), and in 2014 issued its first guidelines for preventing strokes in women.[2] They are known also for operating a number of highly visible public service campaigns starting in the 1970s, and also operate a number of fundraising events. In 1994, the Chronicle of Philanthropy, an industry publication, released a study that showed the American Heart Association was ranked as the 5th "most popular charity/non-profit in America."[3] Elliott Antman, M.D., is president of the American Heart Association for its 2014-15 fiscal year.
Non Profit
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CAAugust 12, 2015
Working with others that have passion is a real motivator, someone with a heart problem or someone who has a family member with a heart issue can make you strive above and beyond, this is a great place to learn people skills.
Pros
Meeting celebrities
Cons
Weekend work
Great company with excellent benefits
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2015
Great benefits package and lots of opportunity for advancement. AHA invests in their employees and opens the door for provide feedback and make changes for a better working environment.
benefits
Cons
work life balance