American Heart Association

American Heart Association Employer Reviews

Worst Place to Work--DO NOT WORK HERE!!
Development Director (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great mission
Cons: management/wasteful w donor dollars/
Don't believe the lie of the "Best Place to Work".

If you work in development/fundraising, this is probably the worst place you could work. Management is out to get you and make your life miserable. For the first 2 years we went through 3 Executive Directors, the culture in the office was terrible and a large percentage of employees wanted to quit – more... and were actively looking for new jobs--via climate survey.

Fellow co-workers are not team players and refused to work with you. Everyone is out for themselves.

Outside volunteers look at us/AHA and think that we are ONLY ABOUT THE MONEY and we are! We have high fundraising goals and the organization will do anything in its power to get the $$ despite the reputation we leave with outside volunteers and high level leaders.

They will work you to the bone if you do not meet their goals. It is really insane.

If you work on the mission side/health strategies you are in luck. There is not as much turnover and people like their jobs.

The majority of the reviews on here come from the health strategy side and various parts of the country. I can tell you the Northeast is the worst and management is horrible particularly in development. I would absolutely look elsewhere if you are looking for a development job as you are likely to be just as miserable.

They also spend a ton of $$ making the office beautiful than putting it towards the mission. They are very wasteful with the donor dollar. – less
productive and fun work environment
American Heart Volunteer (Former Employee), Greenville, SCJuly 20, 2014
Pros: professional
Cons: hours
Gained knowledge in the industry while using my personal and professional skills. Developed highly empathetic relationships with co-workers and guests.
great people working for a great cause
Gulf Coast PR & Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 13, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and environment
Cons: nothing
My internship was one of the most rewarding professional experiences I've had. It is a very positive office environment with quality employees. Everyone was very helpful and eager about assignments.
Fun and rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 29, 2014
Being a volunteer with the American heart Association was a very fun job because I got to work with the public at a younger age. It was also very rewarding because I have had experience with money before many other people and I was able to gain skills that will help me with future work.
Great Income!
BLS Instructor (Current Employee), Cincinnati, Indinappolis, Atlana,Myrtle Beach,May 23, 2014
Pros: work as little or as often as you like
Cons: you work as an independent contractor
I love teaching BLS through the American Heart Association. I get to travel all over the place and teach. I have had the opportunity to work with Doctors, Nurses, Personal Trainers, Teachers, and many other Professionals throughout my Career!

No day is typical and I love it!
This is not a job.
CPR (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2014
All my teachers where great, they make sure you understand the class before you are done for the day.
Low pay but great culture
Service and Productivity Lead (Former Employee), Richardson, TXMay 19, 2014
A goodplace to work if you dont need to support a family. Co-workers are great, and Executives are accesible to all levels.
Run from this organization!!!!
Corporate Market Director- Development (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TexasMay 17, 2014
Pros: competitive salary
Cons: sr. management is abusive to staff, not good stewards of the donor dollar, turnover is a huge problem, don't care about the donors-only want their money.
I strongly believe that the majority of the positive reviews that are posted are done by the Human Resources dept. of the AHA. During my time with the company- ALL of my co-workers and I were miserable. The Sr. Management team in Texas is made up of women that are cut-throat, manipulative and borderline abusive to the staff. They work the development – more... team to the bone and they take credit when things go well and pass of the blame when things aren't up to par. They have NO desire to get to know the donors and volunteers, but drill the employees on how to get the maximum amount from the donors. You can walk in with a $50k check and they make you go back and ask for $100k. No one ever mentions the mission. It is all about the Sr. Management making their goals so they can get bonuses. – less
Promoted Health and Wellness
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Educational Opportunity CenterMay 14, 2014
I enjoyed interacted with the community and clients of University of Buffalo.
Wonderful staff who are great at their jobs!
Intern (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARMay 14, 2014
Pros: free samples from companies who donate products to events
Cons: i was unpaid and sometimes under appreciated
I was just an unpaid intern but I loved my job! These workers are probably not paid enough for their jobs. The amount of work that goes into fundraisers goes highly unnoticed. It's tough getting people to make donations but these ladies make it happen! Great workplace.
Educational place to work for and hard working team as well.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Tempe, AZMay 4, 2014
The American Heart Association works hard to educate the young and older people on the importance of protect their heart. Eating right and exercising to keep their heart healthy. The team I worked for, did just that - educate, promote events and was a great team.
Enjoyable work environment
Intern, Advocacy/Community Health (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: wonderful work environment
Typical day at work consists of doing day to day projects assigned by the project coordinator. I learned proper program development by going to many of these programs. Worked on flyers and have taught certain age populations in/around the Los Angeles area.
Temporary-Part time employment
Assistant to Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Metairie, LAApril 15, 2014
Pros: great working conditions, relaxed surrondings
Cons: temporary, low salary
this was a temporary job(annual heart walk) in all a good experience!
Great internship
Intern (Former Employee), Fayettevill, ARApril 15, 2014
Fast paced
Great non-profit
Awesome managers
Great college co-workers
It was a great avenue for networking and meeting new people
Philanthropy was the most enjoyable aspect
Detailed planning & amazing results.
Health Instructor, Event Coordinator/per diem (Former Employee), Irvine, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: the events & classes were on weekends, which allow to keep my other ft job.
Cons: no cons.
Planning the agenda and the best utilization of the budget, to reach more members of the community. Maximizing the resources provided and creating new liaisons in the community .
I learned about planning, large events and involving the community, creating volunteering groups and leadership.
The coworkers are all committed to service and education, representing – more... the mission of the AHA
It was difficult to gather the largest groups to achieve the goals, the involvement of the churches and school administration played a big role in our success.
To be able to have tangible results in the series that were thought over 4 weeks of classes. – less
Working with Schools
Youth Market Director (Former Employee), Salinas, CAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: travel
Call on potential schools to set up fundraisers. Plan territory. Train and schedule volunteers. I learned about the importance of teaching heart health to children. The hardest part of the job was recruiting volunteers. I enjoyed working with and educating children.
Great networking for a great cause
Volunteer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2014
Great people, I enjoyed helping and meeting new people

I attended seminars and information tables
Great staff!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 24, 2014
Love working with the staff at AHA. Most staff have been there for a long time.
Year round busy workplace working on saving lives
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Utica, NYJanuary 29, 2014
Typical day in the office consists of answering phones, helping walk-ins, scheduling and working with volunteers and updating the computer databases. Year round work is done for America's Greatest Heart Run & Walk with various committee meetings, print materials and logistics to be worked on.

I truly enjoy my job, working with the volunteers and being – more... in the life saving business. I would have to say the most difficult part of my job is dealing with the office politics. The office dynamics for such a small office are strained at times with pettiness and favoritism. Unfortunately management doesn't see all the issues that exist. – less
One of the best places I've ever worked at
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 28, 2014
Overall I truly enjoyed working for AHA! I wish I were still there but sometimes things out of your control happen and you must hope for something else to come along!

1 2 3 4 5

About American Heart Association

The American Heart Association (AHA) is a not-for-profit organization devoted to the fight against heart disease and stroke (both – Read more