American Heart Association

American Heart Association Employer Reviews

American Heart Assc.
Receptionist/ Administrative Asst. (Former Employee), 1101 North chase PkwyNovember 6, 2014
Pros: giving out broucher, pinest, games, and prizes.
Cons: healthcare to fund and except insurance to help people live and productive life.
Fun place to work rasing money . For a worth cause for the heart. We did fund raiser , walks, run, auction etc. We raise money for kid and adults that suffer from the disease. Coming up we the cure for every one. I enjoyed worked with other . My co-worker all on the same page . We all work hard raise money for incentive and evaulation anf grading on – more... job advancement. Most of all I enjoyed find a cure for heart diseases. – less
sexist workplace
Heart Walk Director (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches after meetings
Cons: lots of drama
Lots of meetings, micromanagement. Very pretentious, and not diverse in the least. A lot of volunteer bashing and harassment.
Good but aggressive company to work for
Director (Former Employee), MidwestOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great mission, committed volunteers, good benefits
Cons: uneven management, aggressive culture
The AHA is a good company to work for. As nonprofits go, it offers a comprehensive benefits and rewards package, as well as pays fairly competitively against other large, national NPOs. They have an aggressive fundraising culture, which isn't for everyone. Also, I think a person's success will largely depend on their manager, which is too bad because – more... there are a VARIETY of management styles in play, and not all of them are good. Be prepared to hustle to meet your goals and work hard. If you are an assertive, type A personality, then the AHA may be a good fit for you. And there are lots of internal advancement opportunities. – less
it was an okay place
CSR out bound calling Internship (Former Employee), Williamsport, PAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: good hours nice people
Cons: not very family friendly
it was an okay place wasnt my favorite job. I learned new skills though.
Great learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYOctober 22, 2014
I was able to teach a variety of age groups and spread awareness of life saving skills that I believe everyone should be taught.
Great Cause
Member - Health Equity Council (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 10, 2014
Great cause to bring awareness to heart health. Really exemplify health equity and bridging the gap.
Hard working fundraisers with an outside sales approach to raising money.
Corporate Market Director (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 8, 2014
Pros: raising money for cardiovascular disease research
Cons: outside sales approach to fundraising with lots of cold calling
I was happy to receive a position at AHA but my fundraising skills were somewhat different than their approach. It is for this reason it was not a good fit for me.
Fun Project to work on
Team Member (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 7, 2014
I learned to work in a team of 6 on an integrated marketing campaign for the American Heart Association on my thesis project.
Volunteer for specific events (Former Employee), Palm Beach, FLSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: excellent team worker
Cons: work for free
Prepare huge events and do it excellent without mistake, because with one mistake the event can fail in reach the goal of money.

I learned to prepare major events VIP Ball and fashion shows with celebrities.

Excellent relationship with coworkers, we worked as team every event.

The hours and dedication for each event and the enjoyable part was when – more... we reach the goal in each event. – less
Unorganized and unprofessional! They chase the money not the mission
Director, Corporate Events (Former Employee), Amherst, NYSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: salaries and benefits are higher than average
Cons: poor sr. management and ed people skills, micromanage to the point of distruction
This organization has burned major bridges in the community by chasing the money and not living the mission. Sr. Managers (ED, VP's) bully staff, and micromanage the processes to the point that nothing can be accomplished with out their involvement or permission.
My advise to you is don't do it! Ignore the pay and benefits and stay where you are, you – more... will be better off for it. – less
fast paced work environment and great for the multitasker
Temp- Heart Walk Coordinator (Current Employee), honolulu, hawaiiSeptember 24, 2014
with non-profit you wear many hats in your office. daily tasks range and no one day is the same. Work environment is great and coworkers have an all hands-on-deck attitude!
Insanity at AHA
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 24, 2014
This organization is nothing more than a place to raise money and torture employees. No one below "Sr. Management" is treated with any respect. Some managers are known to spend hours giving their work to lower individuals on the totem pole and then taking all the credit for work that is done.
Not a place for growth in your development career
Development (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCSeptember 19, 2014
If you are a development professional seeking career growth and an opportunity to improve and develop your skills through building meaningful relationships with donors and volunteers - this is not the place for you.

The development side of this organization is not structured in a way that fosters donor-centric relationships but instead a quick fix, – more... "steal from one bucket to fill another" mentality.

Goals set by upper management are so far from the realm of attainability that staff are negatively affected year after year, and volunteers are consistently disappointed in results instead of being motivated or feeling a sense of accomplishment for their efforts.

Additionally, development staff are not given empowerment over their relationships or events. Management maintains all key donor relationships, whether they be corporate or individual, and all fundraising and volunteer strategy requires management approval / facilitation. This process removes ownership from the staff - the people who are essentially accountable for the revenue bottom line.

Lastly, there is zero home life balance. These positions are salaried and even though many of the staff work 50 - 60 hour weeks in the office and after hours, they are required to take vacation time to manage priorities at home like annual doctor appointments or occasional school delays. If you are a development staff with children, you are also required to take vacation time if the office is closed for inclement weather, while the rest of the office is permitted to work from home.

The development staff here are some of the hardest working people in the industry and genuinely care about their donors, goals and the mission. It's unfortunate that an organization as prominent as the AHA can't seem to recognize the talent they've hired or get it together when it comes to managing their development team. – less
Facilitating a fun and thorough class for individuals seeking certification.
Instructor (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYSeptember 8, 2014
I arrange classes to instruct and explain the proper techniques in performing and handling CPR, AED, First Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogens cases according to the American Heart Associations guidelines. If more than one instructor is needed for a larger class I work extremely well with others. Before completion of the class, I administer and review post – more... training examinations. The most enjoyable parts of the job are meeting new people and teaching individuals how to save lives. – less
A good place to work
Director of Development (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 27, 2014
Shenandoah growers is a growing company with a lot to offer.
Volunteer at health fairs
Volunteer (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSAugust 15, 2014
Pros: very professional
I enjoy volunteering for biometric health screenings. I enjoy communicating with individuals about health and how to improve it.
Worst Place to Work--DO NOT WORK HERE!!
Development Director (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great mission
Cons: management/wasteful w donor dollars/
Don't believe the lie of the "Best Place to Work".

If you work in development/fundraising, this is probably the worst place you could work. Management is out to get you and make your life miserable. For the first 2 years we went through 3 Executive Directors, the culture in the office was terrible and a large percentage of employees wanted to quit – more... and were actively looking for new jobs--via climate survey.

Fellow co-workers are not team players and refused to work with you. Everyone is out for themselves.

Outside volunteers look at us/AHA and think that we are ONLY ABOUT THE MONEY and we are! We have high fundraising goals and the organization will do anything in its power to get the $$ despite the reputation we leave with outside volunteers and high level leaders.

They will work you to the bone if you do not meet their goals. It is really insane.

If you work on the mission side/health strategies you are in luck. There is not as much turnover and people like their jobs.

The majority of the reviews on here come from the health strategy side and various parts of the country. I can tell you the Northeast is the worst and management is horrible particularly in development. I would absolutely look elsewhere if you are looking for a development job as you are likely to be just as miserable.

They also spend a ton of $$ making the office beautiful than putting it towards the mission. They are very wasteful with the donor dollar. – less
productive and fun work environment
American Heart Volunteer (Former Employee), Greenville, SCJuly 20, 2014
Pros: professional
Cons: hours
Gained knowledge in the industry while using my personal and professional skills. Developed highly empathetic relationships with co-workers and guests.
great people working for a great cause
Gulf Coast PR & Marketing Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 13, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and environment
Cons: nothing
My internship was one of the most rewarding professional experiences I've had. It is a very positive office environment with quality employees. Everyone was very helpful and eager about assignments.
Fun and rewarding
Volunteer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 29, 2014
Being a volunteer with the American heart Association was a very fun job because I got to work with the public at a younger age. It was also very rewarding because I have had experience with money before many other people and I was able to gain skills that will help me with future work.

1 2 3 4 5

About American Heart Association

The American Heart Association (AHA) is a not-for-profit organization devoted to the fight against heart disease and stroke (both – Read more