American Heart Association Employee Reviews

My own hours
AHA Certified BLS Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 1, 2017
I scheduled my classes per need from inquiries. This is an as needed job, that I control my pay rate and time. I enjoy teaching. The paperwork isn't the most fun, but a necessity.
Pros
on my own time
Cons
not enough business
Great organization - depends on what office
Special Events Manager, Corporate Events (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 29, 2017
Overall I loved the organization. the mission and staff. The Boston (Waltham) office has had a lot of changes in Senior leadership and therefore has had a lot of turnover in the past 10 years.
Healthy Environment
Youth Market Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2017
Workplace culture is wonderful. I love the focus on employee health. The best part of my job is the management team. They are focused on a good work life balance.
Non-Profit Organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 22, 2017
Need to be very comfortable with cultivating volunteer committee members and companies for each specific event. Need to be experienced with event planning. Worked on the development of two annual events for the state which at times could become overwhelming.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Multiple Events at once
Lively
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2017
Walking with the American Heart Association every year for as long as I can remember speaks a lot to the organization. It is always a fun and lively environment promoting health and wellness and raising money for such terrible heart diseases and conditions.
Fun workplace to teach others these skills
Basic Life Support Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hibbing, MNMay 16, 2017
I absolutely love teaching people how to save lives! There is almost nothing better in my mind knowing that I have taught these people what to do when someone collapses!!! And I make it fun!
Pros
Teaching others how to save a life, new video is updated awesomely
Cons
Can't say a bad thing about it
Great mission - too much expectation
Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 15, 2017
The mission is the best out there, you get to help people who have heart disease. There are opportunities for advancement, however the work/life balance is non-existent and therefore staying here for many years isn't going to work for everyone. Great benefits and fair pay.
Pros
Benefits, purposeful work, flexible schedule
Cons
Work/life balance
Rewarding but really tough work
Senior Director, Government Relations and Advocacy (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 15, 2017
Working for the AHA is very rewarding. However, there is little room for advancement. The workload is A LOT and sometimes hard to manage. It depends greatly on the management. I have had both great managers and not so great mangers . Not having the opportunity for advancement is rough.
Volunteer
Basic Life Instructor (Current Employee) –  Adkins, TXMay 14, 2017
-Set my own schedule and will start working with the community in June. Teaching CPR is vital; Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S
Rewarding to teach life saving skills
Heartsaver and BLS CPR Instructor (Current Employee) –  Shoreham, VTMay 13, 2017
I enjoy teaching a wide variety of people how to save a life. It is important to know basic life saving skills in case of an emergency. I learn something new each time I teach a class.
Not for mission-focused development professionals
Major Gifts Officer (Former Employee) –  USAMay 12, 2017
This is a sales organization through and through. The major gifts operation is sadly deficient in training and best practices and staff compete with one another for donors. It's a turn off to the donors and an impossible culture to work in if you come from an environment where relationships are the key to success. It's a machine. Lots of backstabbing, unethical colleagues, micromanaging, gossiping, and overall disrespect for anyone who comes from outside the inbred AHA culture. .Like a big sorority and a total disappointment. Turnover is rampant.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
everything else.
Fun experience
student (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 11, 2017
They came to our school and spend the whole day with us teaching us how to save people by doing CPR and more. It was a great experience. It last for two years and it was free!
Overall
Youth Market Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 10, 2017
Lots of tools for volunteers to use to raise money

Management needs to work on overall strategic thinking and how they approach the territories or events of their staff.
recomend any one to work for this company
Phlebotomist, NHA (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33122May 9, 2017
its very productive working for this company you could grow in this company and the help you out with any situacion you got in the job good cooworkers managemnt perfect
Pros
excited
Cons
Flexible work arrangements but no advancement opportunity
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2017
The AHA's mission is what keeps a lot of people motivated in their jobs. The annual pay increases do not keep up with the cost of living and are not tied to your actual performance or merit. Advancement opportunity seems to be non-existent and not tied to performance. There is a strong culture of wonderful teammates who have each other's backs and work as hard as you do.

Great benefits including retirement, PTO and medical.
the organization offers an exceptional benefits package, and opportunities for advancement
Development Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 6, 2017
the mission of the American Heart Association is to create a culture of health, and that mission is the focus of everything. The organization's every move is measured against making strides against heart disease and stroke, in order to improve health for all.
High turnover for a reason
Senior Corporate Market Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2017
I was recruited to work for AHA from another organization and was sold a promise of "work-life balance". The compensation was fantastic and having lost three grandparents to heart related illness, I was excited to make a difference. Worst decision ever.

This is an organization that will put money over people every time. Forget about being able to cultivate relationships with donors and volunteers. We were required to have 15-20 meetings on our calendar every week. And if you miss your goal, regardless of any factors outside your control, you can pretty much count on not having a job anymore.

I wouldn't recommend this organization to anyone, and I will never donate money to them, either.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
High stress, hugh turnover, no work-life balance, all about the money, lack of respect for people
Great work for great organization
Director, Charitable Estate Planning (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLMay 2, 2017
I work as Director of Charitable Estate Planning covering South Florida. My supervisors and most local staff are wonderful to work with. Great job flexibility with working from home or local offices.
Pros
work from home, schedule flexibility
Cons
finding quality prospective donors
Nice Place to work
Consultant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 28, 2017
Very nice place to work. Biggest difference is the management that I reported to. Great people! Nice work life Balance. Cannot comment on Compensation/Benefit, Advancement, etc as they were not applicable to me.
Garg Inc
Volunteer for Event Planning (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTApril 24, 2017
Wonderful organization to work with other volunteers and to help those in need in the Wallingford, CT area. I think when a person is sick and helping individuals in need his rewarding.
Pros
excellent place to volunteer
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Heart Association. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval