American Heart Association Employee Reviews

Worked in the compensation department
HR Volunteer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2015
• Worked on a major project in the Compensation department to get the job descriptions of
all employees in the organization online. Received a letter of appreciation, for my time and expertise on this major project.
If you care about ppl don't bother applying here
Director of Development (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: all about the $
Management ONLY cares about money. They honestly DO NOT care about services to the community or actual survivors.
PT Spring Intern
Intern (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 22, 2015
This position was a PT unpaid internship for the spring of 2010. I couldn't really call it an internship, but more of a volunteer experience. The reason for that was the fact that I had to end my internship early because of financial reason. Everyone at the office was super sweet and helpful. They didn't make you feel inferior when talking to them. Everyone had the same goal and seemed to get along.
Productive and fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Utica, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Administrative Assistant. Contacted volunteers to help with events. Interpersonal relationships with the volunteers and my co-workers was the most enjoyable part about the job. I love human interaction with different people on a daily basis. Also, putting together promotional items for the events we worked and volunteered for was rewarding. Being able to spread heart health awareness was also rewarding. The hardest part about the job was finding volunteers to help on short notice in certain occasions. Overall, the job was very rewarding.
Great Organization
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work flexibility
Cons: micromanagement
They go above and beyond in service, great leadership, strategic goal oriented, family friendly. Working for this organization was the best experience.
student council
CPR and AED program (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJanuary 19, 2015
learned what to be a leader is and how to apply it to my daily life and those who look up to me
A very reputable non-profit organiztion.
Associate Manager, Operations (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2015
I was one of two staff who envisioned and launched the American Heart Association's (AHA) Food Certification Program (the red heart with the white check-mark in it that you see on food products in the grocery store). I managed all aspects of the operations of this program, including nutritionally screening every food product to ensure it met the criteria for carrying the heart-check mark on its packaging and all contracts between the participating food companies and AHA
Work at UCSD as an AHA fellow
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), UCSD< San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
It’s great to work on protein characterization and drug development. I have fun working with the biophysical and mass spectrometry instrumentation. Learn something new every day. Thrilled by my collaborations with industry and the opportunities this fellowship has provided me.
Safe and Protective
Volunteer (Former Employee), winston salem ncJanuary 4, 2015
nice staff
make sure patients are comfortable
warm and polite
excellent place to grow
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Richardson, TXDecember 21, 2014
Pros: face to face with patients
loved working in medical field enjoyed co workers learned different skills and loved doing and learning different duties. Great management. hardest part was getting use to getting up earlier but loved it after that.
Internship.
Internship (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARDecember 17, 2014
This was the best experience. I got to help launch a program for this organization. This intership really made me grow and see how much of a difference the right program can make in people's lives. I loved getting to know the people that work there. All the managers really seemed to have a good working relationship with all of their employees. The hardest part was learning how reach out to the public about this program. Once we started having people particiapte in the program it was easier to get more and more people interested. It was a wonderful experience.
I enjoy public speaking at churches and events.
Motivational Speaker (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 15, 2014
• Spoke at various venues to present information about cardiovascular diseases
• Presented personal story to increase awareness about warning signs
• Shared how recovery is possible and how to overcome adversity
Feel Good Job
Independent Marketing Consultant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 3, 2014
Pros: passionate coworkers
Cons: lots of travel
The American Heart Association (National Center) is a great place to work. You gain lots of exposure to different facets of business. It's a wonderful place to launch and develop your career. I highly recommend this employer to anyone who’s interested in non-profit / mission related work.
Great place for community outreach experience.
Baltimore City Committee Member (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 20, 2014
I enjoyed working with the members of the AHA to learn about disease prevention and helping my local community. I worked to improve the community and foster a healthy, stroke-free environment.
American Heart Assc.
Receptionist/ Administrative Asst. (Former Employee), 1101 North chase PkwyNovember 6, 2014
Pros: giving out broucher, pinest, games, and prizes.
Cons: healthcare to fund and except insurance to help people live and productive life.
Fun place to work rasing money . For a worth cause for the heart. We did fund raiser , walks, run, auction etc. We raise money for kid and adults that suffer from the disease. Coming up we the cure for every one. I enjoyed worked with other . My co-worker all on the same page . We all work hard raise money for incentive and evaulation anf grading on job advancement. Most of all I enjoyed find a cure for heart diseases.
Good but aggressive company to work for
Director (Former Employee), MidwestOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great mission, committed volunteers, good benefits
Cons: uneven management, aggressive culture
The AHA is a good company to work for. As nonprofits go, it offers a comprehensive benefits and rewards package, as well as pays fairly competitively against other large, national NPOs. They have an aggressive fundraising culture, which isn't for everyone. Also, I think a person's success will largely depend on their manager, which is too bad because there are a VARIETY of management styles in play, and not all of them are good. Be prepared to hustle to meet your goals and work hard. If you are an assertive, type A personality, then the AHA may be a good fit for you. And there are lots of internal advancement opportunities.
it was an okay place
CSR out bound calling Internship (Former Employee), Williamsport, PAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: good hours nice people
Cons: not very family friendly
it was an okay place wasnt my favorite job. I learned new skills though.
Great learning experience
Volunteer (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYOctober 22, 2014
I was able to teach a variety of age groups and spread awareness of life saving skills that I believe everyone should be taught.
Great Cause
Member - Health Equity Council (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 10, 2014
Great cause to bring awareness to heart health. Really exemplify health equity and bridging the gap.
Hard working fundraisers with an outside sales approach to raising money.
Corporate Market Director (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 8, 2014
Pros: raising money for cardiovascular disease research
Cons: outside sales approach to fundraising with lots of cold calling
I was happy to receive a position at AHA but my fundraising skills were somewhat different than their approach. It is for this reason it was not a good fit for me.