American Heart Association Employee Reviews in United States

Strong focused mission.
Various Director Positions (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 27, 2012
Success tied to dollars raised. Organization dabbles in various management theories. Very much a top down organization. Hardest part of job was balacing reporting to senior mgt versus focusing on activites to raise dollars. Most enjoyable part of job was the amazing cadre of volunteers devoted to the mission.
Pros
strong compensation and benefits package.
Cons
very top down organization. didn't really value input from the field.
Great place to intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  St. PetersburgJune 1, 2015
AHA was awesome. The workers were extremely nice and helped me with any questions I had. They never hesitated to lend a hand. I learned a lot from my boss, Lily. She taught me media reports, event write ups, how to be detail oriented and put me in charge of all social media. She was the best boss I'd ever had. The hardest part was sometimes I didn't quite understand her directions and I tried to figure it out on my own but was afraid to ask for clarification because she was really busy. So, I either found the courage to ask again or I eventually figured it out. The best part of my internship was all the events that I got to be a part of was so much fun!
Fundraising
Support Specialist Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 9, 2015
Fundraising and planning events. Management is excellent, co-workers excellent, Hardest part of the job was leaving to take a paying job. Helping others is the best part of the job.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
leaving for a paying job
Horrible!
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAApril 25, 2013
I had been so excited to work for AHA based on their mission of creating a healthier community. However, my dreams were soon dashed as the organization's true colors began to show. Very little training and very little time to build a volunteer base for 4 brand new events. Goals were unattainable and concerns were quickly dismissed by management. Direct supervisor lacked leadership abilities and overall abilities to connect with people. They claim to have the health of individuals in mind, but that mission was not even upheld by their own staff and forget about work/life balance, as there is none!
Cons
everything from upper management/leadership, lack of training, unattainable goals, misled during hiring process, expensive healthcare considering it's a healthcare nonprofit
Non Profit
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CAAugust 12, 2015
Working with others that have passion is a real motivator, someone with a heart problem or someone who has a family member with a heart issue can make you strive above and beyond, this is a great place to learn people skills.
Pros
Meeting celebrities
Cons
Weekend work
This company does not practice diversity
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 12, 2012
Regardless of the outstanding work you perform, if the VP does not like you, your position will be eliminated. If the VP wants to give a salary increase to one of the company favorites, they will eliminate someone's job and use the salary from the eliminated person to create a promotion and salary increase for one of the company pets.

It is useless to file a grievance against your VP; the EVP will overlook it and pretend it did not occur. If you are over 45 and a minority your job will be the first to become eliminated.
Pros
billions of dollars are used to teach how to love your heart
Cons
the company is managed by people that are heartless !!
Year round busy workplace working on saving lives
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 29, 2014
Typical day in the office consists of answering phones, helping walk-ins, scheduling and working with volunteers and updating the computer databases. Year round work is done for America's Greatest Heart Run & Walk with various committee meetings, print materials and logistics to be worked on.

I truly enjoy my job, working with the volunteers and being in the life saving business. I would have to say the most difficult part of my job is dealing with the office politics. The office dynamics for such a small office are strained at times with pettiness and favoritism. Unfortunately management doesn't see all the issues that exist.
American Heart Association was a tiny office with lots of personality
Receptionist/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 19, 2015
my boss was a lot of fun. his philosophy was providing a fun place to work so that people gave their 100 % . His philosophy worked. very social, rewarding place to work
Great Internship Cite
Executive Coordinator (Intern) (Current Employee) –  MU campusDecember 16, 2013
I was given the position of Executive Coordinator of the AHA's newest fundraising event, HeartChase, on MU campus. My jobs included contacting and meeting volunteers, sponsors and local businesses to gain funding and participants for HeartChase. The event is not until April, and I've currently raised nearly $6,000.
Pros
everything
Cons
unpaid
Productive and fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Administrative Assistant. Contacted volunteers to help with events. Interpersonal relationships with the volunteers and my co-workers was the most enjoyable part about the job. I love human interaction with different people on a daily basis. Also, putting together promotional items for the events we worked and volunteered for was rewarding. Being able to spread heart health awareness was also rewarding. The hardest part about the job was finding volunteers to help on short notice in certain occasions. Overall, the job was very rewarding.
Only care about money
CMD (Former Employee) –  SWAMay 20, 2015
management has no non-profit, fundraising experience. Only focus is money. Complete unorganization, last minute throwing together, unsupportive & miserable place to work.
Great place and people to work with for a great cause
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 15, 2015
The job at AHA was always changing and challenging. The people at AHA seemed to really care about the cause. There are a lot of courses and classes to teach you about the AHA. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that each day you are helping fight to decrease death from heart disease and stroke.
Pros
great atmosphere & benefits
Think very hard before you apply to work here...
Youth Market Director (Former Employee) –  PhillyAugust 6, 2012
Think very long and hard before considering employment at the AHA.

Leadership's primary interest is in achieving their bonuses and keeping their jobs at any cost. My VP DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HIS COLLEGE DEGREE. It's super micromanaged, The AHA was ranked one of the top so and so nonprofit's to work for a couple years in a row, THAT'S BECAUSE MANAGEMENT TRACKED THE EMPLOYMENT SURVEYS THEY GAVE AND FIRED ANYONE WHO GAVE THEM A BAD REVIEW!!!! Managers are COMPLETELY unprofessional here and create drama like no other place I've EVER worked. The HR department is a complete joke. The only thing I have to say is that because they're so corrupt here, you can get away with adding mileage to your reports, and they never check it so you get big cash expense checks back.

I wouldn't work here again if you paid me twice what I was getting the last time. Only low life people make it anywhere in this company. When I was there, 8 people IN MY DEPARTMENT left within a year b/c of how bad the environment was here. DON'T WORK HERE!!!
Pros
it's a job
Cons
micromanagement & blame-oriented environment
Great Boss, Great Pay, Great People
Event Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 30, 2015
I can't say anything even remotely negative because I loved every second of working here. You won't get to laze around because the dynamic is that if you need help, other people in the organization will help you out and of course that's reciprocal. Working for a great cause, and meeting faces to put with the stories of your work make it all worth it.
Pros
Diversity, Professional, Community
Family feel
Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 19, 2015
Fun working environment. The company values health and is proactive in getting involved in public policies that promote heart health. Friendly, upbeat staff that support one another.
Pros
Getting involved in the community.
Cons
None experienced
The day flies by due to the fast-paced environment
Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 8, 2013
Answering emails and phones, scheduling appointments for my directors, checking in with my volunteer committees to make sure fundraising events are progressing, process income and expenses from events, entering data into event database softwares, and planning events, such as scheduling meetings with event venues.
Pros
fast-paced, great people to work with, salary and benefits, and getting to watch an event come together
Cons
high and unrealistic expectations, heavy work load, and long hours
Good Work/ Life Balance
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 24, 2015
No 2 days are the same. Great coworkers who are passionate about what they do. You will often wear several hats, which will only grow your resume and skill set.
not what they claim to be
fundraiser (Former Employee) –  ft worth, txJuly 30, 2012
unsupportive management, click-ish, no chance for advancement, claims to put family first with actually put family last, employees are expected to put AHA as their #1 priority, does not listen to employees who are actually in the field witnessing territory transformation, employees are easily replaceable, if you choose to move to another department - you WILL be ostracized
Cons
bullying management, zero support, employees are not valued, lots of drama within company
Business Administration Internship
Business Administration Internship (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCFebruary 6, 2015
• Provided support for data management projects
• Completed special projects to support multiple marketing programs
• Assist with general office duties as assigned including cold calls and email correspondence
• Helped to coordinate the organization of charity events and served as the facilitator of staff meetings
Wonderful staff who are great at their jobs!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 14, 2014
I was just an unpaid intern but I loved my job! These workers are probably not paid enough for their jobs. The amount of work that goes into fundraisers goes highly unnoticed. It's tough getting people to make donations but these ladies make it happen! Great workplace.
Pros
free samples from companies who donate products to events
Cons
i was unpaid and sometimes under appreciated