American Heart Association Employee Reviews

Strives to fulfill their Mission
Operations Manager - Charitable Estate Planning (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 15, 2015
As the first individual that held my position, it changed rapidly, so there was no "typical" day at work. This was initially difficult, as my responsibilities increased, but it allowed me to hone my time-management skills. My background was corporate banking, so moving into the non-profit arena allowed me to learn a tremendous amount regarding how non-profits compare to for-profit businesses, and truly gave me a passion for non-profit companies. The overall culture was family friendly and lived their mission. My co-workers and I worked together as a team, and learned from each other. The most enjoyable part of my job was the daily interaction with my team. Management for the overall company was effective in handling their leadership responsibilities
Pros
Training and learning opportunities
Cons
Unstructured job responsibilities
No Structure
Sales Director Heart Walks (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 13, 2015
The sales aspect is on your own. You raise money the way you want but if you don't meet your goals they are all over you. Very Stressful
Pros
Your own schdeule
Cons
Lack of management and guidance
Good in theory, not in practice
Corporate Events Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2016
The AHA offers a great mission of working to eliminate cardiac disease and stroke across the globe. Many organizations support the mission through fundraising opportunities and true engagement.

Sadly, the area I was in had a much more negative impression of the AHA. Broken promises by previous employees, the inability to modify fundraising opportunities because AHA structure "does not allow modifications," and the snobbish attitude of the AHA that people and companies should make financial gifts simply because it is the AHA.

When I joined the organization, I was told rebuilding in my territory would be necessary. As time progressed, I found that it wasn't just rebuilding - relationships had been destroyed. Conveying that to leadership was met with simply "try harder" and "contact more businesses." There was never any assistance on how to rebuild the market - smaller events, "freebies" to entice participation, etc. A very all-or-nothing perception.

Working from home meant minimal community engagement, and the AHA was not willing to financially support any networking opportunities (Chamber of Commerce, BNI, etc.). You are left alone to tackle the world - and then chastised when you do not achieve goals.

And goals? They are thrown at you, your team and your region every day. The number of meetings, the number of dollars, the number of engagements, etc. Again, it wasn't about rebuilding - it was about numbers.

Benefits were nice, as was the salary. The overall experience was very negative, and I would hesitate to ever recommend working for such as organization
  more... to anyone.  less
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Lack of internal support, minimal guidance, overwhelming onboarding
It depends on where you work
Lead (Former Employee) –  DallasMarch 30, 2015
I was at AHA for 13 years and overall my experience was good. The management has taken a turn for the worse in the science department. The VP is a bit of a tyrant and her staff is scared of her. Do no go to the science department unless you are ready to "play the game" to survive or be locked in a room with "special berries" to eat! There are some areas that offer work from home schedules which are great! However, the mean girls/boys culture isn't worth it. Pay is disgracefully low for project coordinators and below. Managers are so worried about not getting put on the VP's naughty list that they sell their staff up the river to save their own jobs. Once the current VP of Science leaves...this may return to a great place to work.
Strong focused mission.
Various Director Positions (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 27, 2012
Success tied to dollars raised. Organization dabbles in various management theories. Very much a top down organization. Hardest part of job was balacing reporting to senior mgt versus focusing on activites to raise dollars. Most enjoyable part of job was the amazing cadre of volunteers devoted to the mission.
Pros
strong compensation and benefits package.
Cons
very top down organization. didn't really value input from the field.
Great company with excellent benefits
Office Manager/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2015
Great benefits package and lots of opportunity for advancement. AHA invests in their employees and opens the door for provide feedback and make changes for a better working environment.
benefits
Cons
work life balance
Horrible!
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAApril 25, 2013
I had been so excited to work for AHA based on their mission of creating a healthier community. However, my dreams were soon dashed as the organization's true colors began to show. Very little training and very little time to build a volunteer base for 4 brand new events. Goals were unattainable and concerns were quickly dismissed by management. Direct supervisor lacked leadership abilities and overall abilities to connect with people. They claim to have the health of individuals in mind, but that mission was not even upheld by their own staff and forget about work/life balance, as there is none!
Cons
everything from upper management/leadership, lack of training, unattainable goals, misled during hiring process, expensive healthcare considering it's a healthcare nonprofit
Office is too small
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLJuly 10, 2016
I volunteered there several years. I did general office work. Unfortunately, the office is so small that when I returned, they didn't need me (they had other volunteers to pick my slack).
Pros
I felt useful (and my father died of heart problelms)
Cons
THey didn't need me, when I re-applied
This company does not practice diversity
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJuly 12, 2012
Regardless of the outstanding work you perform, if the VP does not like you, your position will be eliminated. If the VP wants to give a salary increase to one of the company favorites, they will eliminate someone's job and use the salary from the eliminated person to create a promotion and salary increase for one of the company pets.

It is useless to file a grievance against your VP; the EVP will overlook it and pretend it did not occur. If you are over 45 and a minority your job will be the first to become eliminated.
Pros
billions of dollars are used to teach how to love your heart
Cons
the company is managed by people that are heartless !!
Year round busy workplace working on saving lives
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 29, 2014
Typical day in the office consists of answering phones, helping walk-ins, scheduling and working with volunteers and updating the computer databases. Year round work is done for America's Greatest Heart Run & Walk with various committee meetings, print materials and logistics to be worked on.

I truly enjoy my job, working with the volunteers and being in the life saving business. I would have to say the most difficult part of my job is dealing with the office politics. The office dynamics for such a small office are strained at times with pettiness and favoritism. Unfortunately management doesn't see all the issues that exist.
Great work environment - very personable employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 25, 2016
My time spent at AHA was enjoyable due to the employees I worked with. Each worked together to promote and educate the public on the importance of heart health.
Not a place for creative people
AHA LA (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 8, 2016
This is a 90 year old organization and it shows. They are old-fashioned and things that don't work are hard to change. Very careful with donor dollars, but that will mean sometimes you don't have all the tools to do your job. They are not interested in staff bringing new ideas but in having robots replicate a template. Has a valuable mission and might be a good place to learn and grow, but if you are willing not to speak your mind and be under a lot of pressure.
Pros
Good mission
Cons
Overworked, stifling environment, not interested in your ideas
Great Internship Cite
Executive Coordinator (Intern) (Current Employee) –  MU campusDecember 16, 2013
I was given the position of Executive Coordinator of the AHA's newest fundraising event, HeartChase, on MU campus. My jobs included contacting and meeting volunteers, sponsors and local businesses to gain funding and participants for HeartChase. The event is not until April, and I've currently raised nearly $6,000.
Pros
Cons
Unpaid
Unorganized and unprofessional! They chase the money not the mission
Director, Corporate Events (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYSeptember 29, 2014
This organization has burned major bridges in the community by chasing the money and not living the mission. Sr. Managers (ED, VP's) bully staff, and micromanage the processes to the point that nothing can be accomplished with out their involvement or permission.
My advise to you is don't do it! Ignore the pay and benefits and stay where you are, you will be better off for it.
Pros
Salaries and benefits are higher than average
Cons
Poor Sr. Management and ED people skills, Micromanage to the point of distruction
Think very hard before you apply to work here...
Youth Market Director (Former Employee) –  PhillyAugust 6, 2012
Think very long and hard before considering employment at the AHA.

Leadership's primary interest is in achieving their bonuses and keeping their jobs at any cost. My VP DIDN'T EVEN HAVE HIS COLLEGE DEGREE. It's super micromanaged, The AHA was ranked one of the top so and so nonprofit's to work for a couple years in a row, THAT'S BECAUSE MANAGEMENT TRACKED THE EMPLOYMENT SURVEYS THEY GAVE AND FIRED ANYONE WHO GAVE THEM A BAD REVIEW!!!! Managers are COMPLETELY unprofessional here and create drama like no other place I've EVER worked. The HR department is a complete joke. The only thing I have to say is that because they're so corrupt here, you can get away with adding mileage to your reports, and they never check it so you get big cash expense checks back.

I wouldn't work here again if you paid me twice what I was getting the last time. Only low life people make it anywhere in this company. When I was there, 8 people IN MY DEPARTMENT left within a year b/c of how bad the environment was here. DON'T WORK HERE!!!
Pros
it's a job
Cons
micromanagement & blame-oriented environment
Insanity at AHA
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 24, 2014
This organization is nothing more than a place to raise money and torture employees. No one below "Sr. Management" is treated with any respect. Some managers are known to spend hours giving their work to lower individuals on the totem pole and then taking all the credit for work that is done.
The day flies by due to the fast-paced environment
Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 8, 2013
Answering emails and phones, scheduling appointments for my directors, checking in with my volunteer committees to make sure fundraising events are progressing, process income and expenses from events, entering data into event database softwares, and planning events, such as scheduling meetings with event venues.
Pros
Fast-paced, great people to work with, salary and benefits, and getting to watch an event come together
Cons
High and unrealistic expectations, heavy work load, and long hours
not what they claim to be
fundraiser (Former Employee) –  ft worth, txJuly 30, 2012
unsupportive management, click-ish, no chance for advancement, claims to put family first with actually put family last, employees are expected to put AHA as their #1 priority, does not listen to employees who are actually in the field witnessing territory transformation, employees are easily replaceable, if you choose to move to another department - you WILL be ostracized
Cons
bullying management, zero support, employees are not valued, lots of drama within company
Volunteer
Chief Volunteer (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 2, 2015
I volunteered for them so most of the expectations were put on myself. I was given a lot of latitude with finding ways to coordinate new groups of fundraisers.
Best Job EVER
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Albany and Valdosta, GAJuly 2, 2012
I learned several new programs while working with The American Heart Association. Management was great. My supervisor was the greatest supervisor that I ever had. I received a huge promotion within 2 years of employment. The hardest part of the job was the long days leading up to the events and the day of the events. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team building activities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Heart Association. Our community is ready to answer.

American Heart Association Reviews by Location