AMERICAN HOSPICE Employee Reviews in United States

Improving by leaps and bounds each day
RN Case Manager Hospice (Current Employee) –  Tappahannock, VAFebruary 28, 2016
I have seen such an improvement with our company over the last year. Management has changed greatly. I would recommend others give them a try. They are trying to make the right changes to help our company grow and succeed. I love working with my patients and the families that so desperately need our help. Very rewarding job.
Pros
Flexible schedule and management taking the time to listen
Cons
Health benefits could improve
Humbling experience
Hospice Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 20, 2016
I had the most humbling opportunity to provide my GOD given gift in comforting terminally ill patients and their families with pride and dignity. working with the staff of Nurse's, Social Worker's and Doctor's were amazing. Before the large merge, I enjoyed EVERY MINUTE!
Pros
Started off small and family owned
Cons
Merged
Not the Same
CNA (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 1, 2014
It originally started out as a great company to work for, but as time went on it became an extremely unprofessional place to work. Management will lie on you to have you fired or demoted in your position simply because they dont like you. Upper level management had inappropiate relationships with each other. This in turn affected the workers because of favoritism being shown. The pay was good but horribly expensive benefits. In the end it was not about the patients but making money for the company that mattered the most.
Pros
pay
Cons
politics, management
admission RN (Current Employee) –  new jerseyJanuary 6, 2013
Have started in this company approx 6 years ago with no knowledge of hospice care. This company took me under their wing and taught me so well how to properly care for the dying patient . The staff and management work together and are very supportive of each other. From the corporate offices throughout the individual satellite offices everyone displays a family like atmosphere. Considerate of caseloads for staff, continued education for advancement in company, and comparable salaries are just what this company offers. The only thing asked of staff in return is compassionate competent teamwork approach. Interview and see for yourself.
Pros
flexibility
No balance between work and home
RN (Current Employee) –  VAJuly 8, 2013
They will work the RN half to death. They won't give you any help when you ask. In the Fredericksburg office they expect the RN to casemanage AND take call 1 week at a time. If you are out all night you still have to see patients the next day because there are no other staff to help. You basically work 200+ hours per pay period (salary employee so they really make out to save money). If the management in the Richmond office don't like you then they will get rid of you. It is probably the worst place I've worked due to upper management.
Pros
schedule your day
Cons
upper management look at numbers only and not acuity of patients
Stay very Far Away
RN (Former Employee) –  Richmond VaJanuary 8, 2014
Used to be a great company to work for. In the past 2 to 3 years there have been many changes and not good ones. They continue to give staff more and more responsibilities with no compensation and no regard to employees feelings or situations. Telling Nurses that they must do call with no regards to the fact that there are several single mothers that work there. I am not a single mother but am appalled at the lack of respect for these employees. Current management does not know what they are doing.
Pros
great coworkers, patients are wonderful
Cons
management is useless
The people were very nice and helpful and I enjoyed the work that I did very much.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 27, 2015
I type 45 WPM, 14,000 Keystrokes per hour with 98% accuracy. I have 10 years experience in Data Entry, and Accounts Payable. I am a very detailed and very organized person, very dependable, very flexible, enjoy helping my fellow employee, very conscientious, very motivated, very dedicated to my work, I also have excellent customer service skills and problem-solving skills. I learned a lot by listening, taking a lot of notes, and working very hard. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people. The hardest part was becoming emotionally involved with the long-term care patients who I really got attached to. The management team was great. There was not a typical day at work. Everyday was different. The overall rating for the company should be a 10.
Pros
going in early and getting off early
Cons
an hour for lunch instead of a half hour
Look down on CNA
family member (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachSeptember 5, 2013
Run as fast as you can! The CNA drive their wheels off the cars over a month will go by with no travel pay. The CNA are treated badly. Management have poor skills. Some of nurses smile in your face then talk about the clients houses how it look inside. The Richmond and Newport News office need to take a class on good management skills
benefits
Cons
look down on their cna
Couldn't recommend
RN (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 14, 2015
This used to be a great company to work for and allowed staff to provide quality care. Many, many changes over the past 2 years with very high turnover. Poor management - not interested in listening to staff to make it better. Just concerned about money- not patient care.
No job stability. They will lay you off WHEN the census falls..and it will fall
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaJanuary 3, 2014
This company is about the only one in the area that has a history of laying off employees when their census drops. But the interesting part, is that when their census rises again, they dont even consider the employees back for rehire. They have even extended job offers to people, and revoked them while the person was working out their notice on their old job because of their census. They have the cheapest supplies that they give their patients and cut corners in patient care to save money.There is no job security or stability in this company, its all about the bottom dollar!
Pros
the patients and their families
Cons
the company as a whole.
RN's: run if you value your license
RN (former employee) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZJanuary 19, 2013
Another 'for profit' that tries to act like they care for the patients. If you love marketing, marketing and more marketing, this is the job for you.

Run away!!!
Pros
some management helpful; pay was ok.
Cons
has grown too large; uncaring management. poor work/life balance.
patients and families are awsome...co-workers upper managment not so good
CNA (Current Employee) –  richmond vaFebruary 28, 2014
They treat you like slaves being a aide is a hard job.. you will drive your car into the ground no matter how hard you work you will not get over time. No need to talk to anyone about issues going on on the job no one will listen on correct the problem they are all about keeping the numbers up. BEWARE it may look like a great place to work but from experince its not! If they dont like you they will work against you to get rid of you. if not for the parients i woudnt still be here!!
Pros
patients and familys/ schedule your day
Cons
no team work.... upper management only care about their selves
Could be an great company to work for
Hospice Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 7, 2012
The hardest part of my job was to deal with the inconsistencies of management and the politics.
Really loved working in hospice with a focus on geriatrics. Company however does not support its employees at all.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 8, 2012
Employees were valued very little despite management thinking otherwise. Caseloads were too high to effectively care for the dying patient and all that entails. I would not reapply to work here
Poorly run company
Human Resource Coordinator/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 8, 2014
Company no longer in business. Very disorganized. Management not supportive
Cons
n/a
We all felt like a family
Marketing Area Manager (Former Employee) –  DeSoto, TXDecember 26, 2013
I take the target market that is assigned and list every possible free standing entity that has multiple diagnosis that qualify a patient to receive an education about this free help them and there families.
After listing my possibilities my are I like to make 12 -15 visits, i locate medical director's in the nurse and assisted livings. I love the fact that I get to supply a free service that lacks education and I dislike putting in 6 years of growth up to 100 to 160 a year and lose my job to the corp .marketing director.
Pros
meeting the exspectations of a patient and there family
Cons
looseing my contacts to compettitors
good place to work
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  conroe, houston texasAugust 2, 2012
Whe I first started working there I had no knowledge of what hospice was about. The administrater then asured me it would be a different kind of experience and it was, I was trained by a CNA that was an angel to everyone. I would go to her for spiritual advice every once and a while and she was always there for me, there were other nurses that educated me on feelings and death,
I enjoyed every part of my job and my co-workers all worked together, teamwork. then new managment was hired and most of us left, most not by choice. But it was a good place to work.
Learned so much about being a nurse
LVN Asst PCC and Crisis Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Denton TexasFebruary 13, 2015
Always in dedicated to them for guiding me to become such a well rounded nurse. Good Training Program, Good team environment
Always someone to give me a proper answer,
Pros
great location with wonderful staff
Cons
full time employee and couldnt provide full time wook
Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXApril 24, 2015
It was great working with this company. I really enjoyed the people and office staff that I was employed by. I am a friendly and open person to work with.
Stressful and Uncaring
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 4, 2013
Certain management needs to learn Management 101. It's a business but it can't function without the employees. There is life outside of work.
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMERICAN HOSPICE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9