American Hotel Register Company

American Hotel Register Company Employer Reviews

Long Hours
New Opening Project Consultant (Current Employee), Vernon Hills, ILFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: stable company
Cons: long hours
I have been working there for 9 years and there have been several changes in Management, compensation and overall goals.
Used to be a great place to work
Merchandising/Supply Chain (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: ok benefits and 401k
Cons: management, favoritism runs rampant
This used to be a great place to work until they went outside the family and it's been down hill ever since. Two types of people are hired now, they are either just out of college with no experience or any sense of what being professional is or they are related/a friend of management. It does not matter if they are qualified or not, they just keep repeating the same mistakes and if you dare to have an opinion you will be gone or constantly threatened that you are lucky to have a job and that can be taken away at any time for any reason to the point where you are almost bullied and HR covers it up. For any longer term employee even though they preach culture and longevity you have a target on your back so start looking for your next job now. This is very sad because the family that owns it does care but not the people they are putting into management. Over the last 8-10 years so much knowledge and valuable experience was lost across the board.
good place to work
Laser Technician on laser engraving machines (Current Employee), Vernon Hills, ILDecember 1, 2014
Pros: the owners of company are great
Cons: the lower management needs some work
create and manufacture signs help other people as needed, management is definetly micro managed.co-workers are great the hardest part of job is not being recognized for my level of work because of what i bring to this place with my experience. The most enjoyable part is consistantly showing and creating new and better ways to make and process the signnage even though i know they wont aknowlege me i at least know i made it better.
Family Atmosphere with great people
Development Account Representative (Current Employee), Vernon Hills, ILNovember 5, 2014
Great company with great employees. they really care and take care of you.
One great company.
Sr. Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILNovember 3, 2014
Was an amazing and great company that went through a tough patch. They are back to being a great company.
Great place to work if you are into drinking company kool aid, constant turn over and chronic backstabbing.
Supply Chain/Merchandising (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILNovember 1, 2014
Pros: steady paycheck, annual health fare, work out facilities and hair salon on premise.
Cons: poor benefits, raises and lack of promotion opportunities.
This used to be a great place to work but sadly in the last few years the place has gone down the tubes for loyal employees due to an unscrupulous HR department that highers nothing but fresh out of college kids with no sense of professionalism, appropriate office attire codes or business etiquette and upper management/owners giving positions of power to their friends in which most have no idea how to do their jobs or manage people. So many people that were long time loyal employees who cared about their jobs and the company have left in disgust or have been fired so upper management could hire more of their friends.
Good Place to Start a Career..
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILSeptember 30, 2014
Overall a good place to start a career, especially in sales. The overall culture is good, mostly because so many great people work there. The family-owned culture also positively contributes to the organization as a whole, which is rare.

Lots of change in recent years has taken its toll on the overall productivity of the organization. Too many sales associates and not nearly enough support staff to keep up with item availability. The org structure was not always clear, causing a lot of communication issues between departments.

HR seemed especially unorganized and in the dark about what most of the job duties were that they interviewed for. This caused many problems in finding and retaining the right people for the job. Lots of turnover in the past few years.

Overall a solid company to work for. Can't say enough nice things about the family that owns it and most of the people who work there.
Description: This project is to convert an existing desktop Windows Event Tracker application (written in Microsoft Access) to a web-based application
Sr.Net Developer (Former Employee), Hill, ILSeptember 25, 2014
Responsibilities:
• Participated in new general requirements gathering from the Business users, an analysis of the scope of the development process.
• Involved in developing Event Tracker in Agile Methodology environment.
• Used ASP.NET in the development of the Event Tracker Presentation Layer (UI) and used Cascading Style Sheets for styling UI.
• Involved in the development of the Business logic layer and Data access layer using C# and ADO.NET.
• Designed developed internal messaging system with Event Tracker tool.
• Used ASP.NET AJAX Toolkit controls like Script Manager, Update Panel and Modal Popup Extender within some web pages.
• Participated in databases creation and schema objects including tables, indexes and applied constraints, connected various applications to the database and written functions, stored procedures and triggers using T-SQL and SQL Server 2008.
• Designed and developed dynamic ASPX web pages using C#, ASP.Net, HTML, Java Script.

Environment: .NET Framework 4.0, MS Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008, ADO.NET, HTML, T-SQL, IIS 6.0, SSRS, Web services, Windows Services, JavaScript, IIS, AJAX, CSS, Team Foundation Server (TFS).
safe work enviornment
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at work pre-shift meeting then straight to work.
I learned how to drive a reach truck.
The management was unprofessional and hard to communicate with.
Co-workers: worked well as a team when needed.
The hardest part of the job was having to comb the isles for pallets.
the most enjoyable part of the job working hard to ensure the customer was satisfied.
Good place to work. No real advancement potential.
JR. Researcher (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILAugust 11, 2014
Pros: family atmosphere, good culture, good people
Cons: micro management style, limited advancement potential
My typical day was spent emailing and calling our suppliers working on getting items set up for quoting purposes. I dealt with unique items not normally found in the company catalog or website. My co-workers were great. There was a lot of friction with my direct managers regarding my ability to seek new positions within the company as I had become restless in my current position. I enjoyed the work I did with our suppliers and the satisfaction when a sale was made. The hardest part of my job was the micro management I felt on a daily basis. I did learn a lot from this employer, such as better time management skills and how to keep good details.
Fun & Family Oriented
Program Operations Manager (Current Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJuly 31, 2014
Great company to work for with great family culture. There have been a lot of changes in the last year but company seems to be behind on operating systems.
Great place to work. Nice Amenities
National Account Manager (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJuly 11, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Family culture with many extra amenities. Fair salary and bonus opportunities.
Great place and great people
Government/Specialty Territory Manager (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILApril 10, 2014
Pros: very transparent and honest, great place to grow, flexible hours in high chicago traffic
Cons: i dont have any...but nitpicking i might say the commission structure isn't the best
I am no longer with American Hotel (not a bad thing) but while I was there (3 years) it was very rewarding and they always put a lot of time and effort into the whole person concept. It is family owned and run, and while they have gone international they are privately held and treat you like family. If you don't fit the culture you will not be there long but if you do you will find they will invest in your best interests. They are constantly moving forward, providing training, and updating the way they do things...if you don't like change it is not the place for you. If you are looking for a career and place to call home and have a positive attitude...give it a shot, if you don't work out you wont leave upset about it because they wont treat you badly in any way before or after you leave.
No where to go
Southeastern Distribution Center Supervisor (Former Employee), Kennesaw, GAMarch 10, 2014
Pros: not micro-managed
Cons: nothing new in day-to-day operations
The typical day was balancing inventory and making sure all the orders were created and pulled accurately. My boss was the manger at the facility and he had me running the operation while he stayed in meetings or went away for work purposes. The hardest part of the job was getting all of the orders processed in time the trucks came to pick them up. The best part of the job was fulfilling all of the orders and getting congratulated.
hoe to get screwed
Customer Service (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 4, 2014
Pros: nothing if you are not at the top
Cons: good place to learn what not to do
DO not even approach this company for a job. If you unlucky to get in you will probably last about 6 months if that. Not one person below manager that I started with is still at the company. It is a family run company that refuses to let go of the reins. They hired an outsider as CEO but would not allow him to make any decisions. They capped pay and bonuses during the recession and than after business came back they reduced it even more. The owners talk about how generous they are but only if you are in the top tir of employees. If you do not pull your quota within 4 weeks you will be shown the door They have a hiigher turn over rate than any retail chain out there.
Pruductive and hard working
Supervisor (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, IllinoisOctober 29, 2013
Profit driven hard working company. Company is family owned with great potential to grow. Daily activities involves opening or closing the DC. Managing inbound and outbound shipments. Coach and counsel associates. Help pick, process and ship customers orders. I most enjoy being part of a team driven to accomplish set goals.
Great Beginner Warehouse Job
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Fontana, CAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no advancement
great place to work full time and attend school. little to no advancement within the company
this is the best company I have ever been a part of. They are total class!
Senior Sales Account Manager/ Outside Sales (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2013
Pros: it was all a very worthwhile experience for me.
Cons: the one week a year we had to go to illinois for the sales rally in january, the coldest month of the year.
My day was mainly seeing the customers here in the Las Vegas Hospitality industry, taking orders and placing them myself. I learned how to communicate in a business since and a personal since they converted me from blue collar to white collar. My coworkers were very helpful and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the work and the best part was making the sales and seeing the customers.
Good and Bad
inside sales (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILAugust 6, 2013
Pros: work environment with co-workers. salary, cafeteria, fitness center, benefits
Cons: senior management, employee loyalty.
Flex work schedule.
Learned new systems
Management is very very poor. No loyalty.
Co-workers are excellent and very supportive
Hardest part of the job is just doing it by the book to try to
fly under the radar.
Co-workers are definitely the most enjoyable part of this job.
Growing company --Customer Service poor advancement opportunities
Order Relationship Associate (Current Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJuly 18, 2013
Pros: co-workers are some of the nicest people you will meet
Cons: poor advancement opportunities and career paths non-existent in this department
Working in a call center is fast paced. In this position you have to be able to access data from multiple locations quickly and try to have the answer for the customer right away or know who to send them over to to get it resolved. Summer time is the busiest and it can be so busy that there is merely 10 seconds between calls. Being in a busy call center can make the day go by fast, but allows little opportunity to learn new skills in order to improve advancement opportunities above and beyond customer service or sales.

I learned a lot about the different types of hospitality products along with hearing different experiences from customers. Some of the customer are extermely nice and those will make your day. Others are always in a rush and just want to get things taken care of and over with. You really have to be able to read people to do well.

My co-workers for the most part are awesome. Everyone is willing to take the time to help another and will congratulate each other on their achievements. Its not very competitive on my team, it is more "wow! how did you do that?" in an attempt to learn more skills and techniques.

Management in my current department seems to not really know how their employees are feeling or what level or morale the department is experiencing. We have been given constraing upon constraint, restricted some basic morale activities such as decorating a co-workers desk for their birthday, and been provided promise after promise of morale building opportunities and they have failed to provide. It seems they are more focused on taking on more responsibilities – more... from other departments and volunteering already stressed and overwhelmed employees. They need to focus on how people are actually feeling and less on what people might feel. Myself and other co-workers have been let down time after time by the company when it comes to advancement, improvement in morale, and even basic business questions. I am very disappointed in management in such as a well known growing company.

My most enjoyable part? I like talking to different customers from all over the country and some times the world. Some are very nice and I have actually learned a lot from them. I feel its important to connect with a customer and learn what they are looking for to be able to serve them better. My other favorite part is being able to meet some of the nicest co-workers who have made my bad day better, celebrated my birthday, helped me, and helped support me. – less