American Income Life Employee Reviews

Ail
Supervising Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 15, 2017
American income Life did teach me a lot of things. I learned to be agressive and not take no for an answer. However, some of the "pre-set appointments' turned out to be angry people that had no idea we would be there
worthless
Managing Director- Agent (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 10, 2017
DO NOT WORK HERE: its a insurance sales, spend a lot of money getting licenses. Sale life insurance that people buy then cancel one month later costing even more money.
Pros
Cons
expensive, no guarentee of making money
You get out what you put in
SA (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 10, 2017
Not a lot of careers allow you to get out of a job what you put into it. This job is not for everyone. I feel there are a lot of unfair or biased reviews on this site. Pay is commission, but it is more that plenty if you actually put the work in. The first 6 months involve the most sacrifice in any career one wants to advance in. Yes there are long hours. Yes there are long weeks. However, that's a choice. Once you get out of training (which is up to how well you learn and work) then your schedule is determined by you. You literally get out of it what you put in. I've been in sales for years. This is my first year with AIL I'm looking forward to at least nine more. The presentation is not pushy. The attitude is not pushy sales. It is not selling to people that don't need or can't afford the benefits. If an agent or former agent tells you of a time that something was sold that someone did not need or could not afford, it was that agent's fault. You as the agent and producer are responsible for the benefit package you help people enroll in.

If you are driven, competitive, and a people person, this job is for you. I would also add that a genuine compassion and caring for others is a plus.

If you want a job where you can show up and stand around doing nothing and still get paid, don't work with this company. We don't want that type of attitude anyway.
Pros
You are your boss. Self-determined income and promotions. Career, not a job.
Cons
Some cannot handle the commitment and short term sacrifice to invest in themselves and their future.
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 10, 2017
I enjoy working here and would go back. I left due to pregnancy and they were extremely understanding. Everyone was really pleasant. I would recommend this place to anyone looking.
This is a great place to work if you are money motivated and willing to dedicate 60+ hours per week to your sales game.
Field Agent in Training (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 9, 2017
A typical day includes phone booking in the late morning then driving to people's homes for appointments scheduled late into the evening. Ideally you have 6 appointments per day but that all depends on how assumptive you are with your phone booking. When you don't have a full schedule you're still supposed to be out until 9pm calling and knocking on doors. Some of your appointments will stand you up, some people will treat you like a telemarketer.

Leads are given to you for free which is good. Technically you are not cold-calling because the leads are people who either were referred or have filled out a request for your services. However in some cases you may as well be cold calling because the people you're calling either didn't realize what they were signing up for or forgot they filled out the request and are creeped out that you know who they are.

Since you are an independent contractor, you technically have control over when and how much you work but thats only once you are released. During the training you are expected to be there unpaid for 10/12 hours a day, 6 days a week. You can take days off whenever you need them but they will make you feel very guilty.

Very motivational and supportive office culture, although I felt a bit brainwashed. Everyone there wants you to succeed and treats you like family. It's also relatively easy to advance.

You hear a lot of no's but they pay you very well for the yes's.
Pros
Earning Potential, Positive and Supportive, Flexibility
Cons
Lots of driving, No time for anything else, Unpaid training, Paid on Commission
Okay at best
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  North Ridgeville, OHOctober 9, 2017
Nice people but crazy hours. Never had time for personal life. Lots of driving for meetings that may no show you. Rough job, should have a tough mental health.
Not worth it... probably not even with a Prius
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNOctober 9, 2017
You go between call days, where you dial people and try to set up appointments at their house, and days in the field, where you drive all over the state. No guarantee to make anything since it's commission based and you basicly rely on a bait and switch tactic of offering free benefits before working into selling them life insurance. Most people see through it and you make nothing on your appointment and lose money on gas.
Great carrer opportunity
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 9, 2017
I have only been at this job for a month and I do love it, the management is great.
The only cons I have are, it is commission based only and you do have to learn a script or you could lose your job if you don't know it.
Pros
High commision earnings, carrer advancement early, not paying for leads
Cons
Having to know a script to keep the job.
Upside/Downside
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 6, 2017
Good pay, Spend less time with family. I have a two years old and she spends more time with other family than she does with me and I am her mother. So it depends on you if it is worth it.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Pay is not consistent, a lot of mileage on your car, and no time for anyone
It is a competitive environment with opportunities for promotion
Life Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 5, 2017
You spend a day making calls and a day out on the field. You visit people's homes to sell them life insurance. The fact that there is unlimited potential is good, but you have to be available to work long hours from early morning (8am) to as late as 10 pm and you have to be confident with your sales. There is a lot of driving involved so you must have a reliable car. Income is determined on your ability to sell.
Pros
unlimited potential
Cons
commission job
American Income - Depends on the Lifestyle you want.
Supervising Agent (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 5, 2017
Overall my experience at AIL was a positive one. I learned many things and was appreciative of the skills learned. I also enjoyed the people i came in contact with.
It is a very competitive - get your blood pumping kind of place. You have to be willing to put in 100% of yourself 100% of the time. If you are a single person with big dreams and willing to go-go-go at 500mph every day then i believe this job would be a great match, however, this job is a lot harder if you cannot focus 100% of your attention to it. Those with a serious significant other or children, may have a hard time keeping up, and you MUST keep up if you want any chance of success.
Pros
Training
Cons
Work/Life balance
Productive, Exciting, Fun Work Environment
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAOctober 5, 2017
First I was flown to Seattle, Washington where I was trained for a week for my job. All expenses paid it was a new experience for me and was very excited about working for this company. When I returned I Started my day by retrieving my resumes that were sent to me. Reviewing and then calling and setting up my interview appointments for the day or the next day. I would sometimes open and close our office if needed. I would schedule on the average between 8-12 a day except on Thursdays because we had manager meetings to review company goals, guidelines and achievements. Also, make sure we were training our current employees on their State License Exam. Held training sessions with existing employees and new employees weekly. I learned a lot of how to be a successful hiring manager and how to treat my employees under me. Different areas of the business and what my manager did when he would travel along with newly licensed agents. Management was great they were informative, helpful and our office was like a family. Even though, this company was smaller than what I was used to I liked being able to discuss with my other managers how I felt or how my employees felt and how we could help them together. They listened to me and were concerned about my feelings as well as my employees and we were able to come to agreements on mostly a lot of concerns either they had or myself. I loved our weekly meetings and how we were very close and even the CEO was down to earth and didn't make you feel less than. The workplace was very nice and like a family vibe. We would hang out after work hours  more... if we could and just laugh and talk. The hardest part of my job was getting people to see the vision of making the money they deserved and their own hours and becoming their own boss. The most enjoyable part was seeing an employee pass his exam, study earn his first pay check and just be amazed of how many zeros was on his check just by doing what was right for the customer and helping people not selling but helping. There is a difference and that's what I showed my employees because I helped them and looked out for them they did the same for their customers. When you treat people right they will do right by you. I miss this company and the managers in which I used to work with.  less
Pros
Great Management, Meeting new people daily, Being a Manager, Helping others, Having my own office Opening and Closing the office, Having Flexible hours and being able to train other to Obtain their State Insurance Licenses
Cons
Good Candiates not being able to go thru the process due to financial issues, Employees failing the State License Test
Very profittable
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2017
Made a lot of money with it but was hard. I had to work long hours at first but it paid off after several weeks when I was able to sell on 1 of every 3 of my presentations.
Its a scam
Account Executive/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 4, 2017
No way around it, it is a scam. They get young people to sign up then they get their family members to purchase insurance. Once they are all out of family members to sign up they are pretty much fired.
The hardest part of the job
General Agent (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 4, 2017
The hardest part of the job is being able to set appointment, this seems to work for most individuals but is something I really struggled with despite knowing the scripts, being able to talk to people, knowledge of the product. It's just that no one answers and those that did just were interested in the free stuff.
Lies!
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 3, 2017
I was brought on board with lies! They made everything sound good but after I started, things began to unfold. The office is ran by guys and they were pretty much only hiring young and pretty girls. I'm actually surprised that the company was never "slapped" with a law suite.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Not what is explained during onboard training
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CAOctober 2, 2017
Plan on having finances in line if you are starting out in the insurance field
Training is lacking and very much sink or swim
Prepare to be pushed to work and guilted into your career investment as leverage to book at least 10 appointments a day.
Understanding how this industry runs and operates was anticipated prior to my own experience and employment, I didn't go in blind but it did not matter what you had going on in life, you will miss your family home and everything if you're goal is to be 100% financially successful
Plan on driving 100% of your days and nights
Independent Contractor position, not entry level as recruitment states, and no management positions are available
No reimbursement for your exam as they say, commitment required one month prior and if the unexpected happens, plan to get a lecture about your
Failure to
Succeed
Pros
Union membership
This career opportunity has changed my life. Ignore the negative reviews
Producer/Agent (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 2, 2017
Everyone seems to jump online and write negative reviews. When I was first considering a position with AIL, Lombard, I was very skeptical due to all the negative reviews I saw online.(granted most of the reviews were referring to other offices, not Lombard, but it still concerned me) I decided to take a leap of faith and find out for myself what this was all about. More importantly; was this something I could see myself doing. It has changed my life. This career can be all you want it to be. Do you want to make $30K or $100K a year? Do you want to set yourself up for retirement in 10 years? It is truly up to you. If you have a good work ethic, if you are disciplined, if you are not afraid to work. then you will do well in this company. I believe the negative reviews come from people who are too lazy to actually put in the time to make this work for them. Hey, if you want to devote 40-50 hours to an office job or some other hourly job; having no flexibility, scheduled breaks, lunches, limited vacation...that is up to you. The way I look at it is if I have that time to work for someone else; why wouldn't I instead put that time into building my own business?!?! I personally like knowing I now have a license to basically "write my own paycheck!" If I work hard, I make the money. If I slack off, then I don't. It IS that simple! I do like the control I now have over what I make. I know what I am worth and I am no longer counting on someone else to tell me what a great job I am doing and "gift me" with a $.50 an hour raise. Work hard= make money at AIL. It is very simple.  more... Anyone that comes across here complaining and blaming AIL for their lack of success really needs to take a step back, stop playing the victim and start working hard; for themselves. For some reason, which I have yet to figure out, people would rather throw away this opportunity and go work the rigid, hourly, 9-5 office job. Maybe you have a lack of self discipline? Whatever the case may be, don't blame the company for your failures. If you fail its because you did not work hard.  less
Pros
Endless income if you work hard, helping to protect families, so much support from management, we are given leads
Cons
trying to book your appointments and run them.(a lot of phone time to fill your schedule)
work at AIL
Human Resource Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAOctober 2, 2017
terrible work environment, if you were not producing for them they treated you like trash and that's the truth. I would not work for them had I known it would be like this
Very helpful and comforting career choice!
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 2, 2017
Working at AIL has changed my life! Starting a career with helpful people who want to see YOU succeed is a great way to start! having a company that wants to grow and wants to see you go, as well as training you for the ENTIRE job, not just parts of it, is amazing. I would HIGHLY recommend anything looking for a new career to look into AIL, you won't regret it.
Pros
Management, leads, growth, fun
Cons
Driving

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Income Life. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4